Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TESO: Comparision of ESO and TESO places!

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

In this article, Zenimax compares The Elder Scrolls Online places with the same places in the Elder Scrolls single player RPG, same place, different game, and different era. Had not see that yet, and found it QUITE interesting.

Look for yourselves:

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2012/10/18/tamriel-now-and-then-places

Consider me impressed.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Can someone remind me when does TESO takes place in the TES universe? If I recall it's set long before Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim so....why would areas be relatively the same? Doesn't really seem to make much sense to me. I guess they could've gotten away with putting Kvatch in Cyrodiil since we've never really seen what the city looked like before it got destroyed, and I guess some areas would make sense if they don't change much (Southern Eastmarch for example) but as far as Civilizations and Cities goes, it seems a bit silly to try and recreate the same monuments and whatnot considering the large time gap between the titles.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm
    Can someone remind me when does TESO takes place in the TES universe? If I recall it's set long before Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim so....why would areas be relatively the same? Doesn't really seem to make much sense to me. I guess they could've gotten away with putting Kvatch in Cyrodiil since we've never really seen what the city looked like before it got destroyed, and I guess some areas would make sense if they don't change much (Southern Eastmarch for example) but as far as Civilizations and Cities goes, it seems a bit silly to try and recreate the same monuments and whatnot considering the large time gap between the titles.

Why? Some Churches and Castles in Europe are way over 1000 years old. I think TESO is ~1000 years before Skryim, so I see no reason, why some greater building like Chapels and Temples and Castles should not exist still?

Here in Germany the Dome of Trier was built around 360 AD, his final current form was finished around 1040 AD. Other churches in Italy are even way older.

Castle Meersburg in South Germany was built around 630 AD, and still people live in it today. ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Elikal

Why? Some Churches and Castles in Europe are way over 1000 years old. I think TESO is ~1000 years before Skryim, so I see no reason, why some greater building like Chapels and Temples and Castles should not exist still?

Here in Germany the Dome of Trier was built around 360 AD, his final current form was finished around 1040 AD. Other churches in Italy are even way older.

Castle Meersburg in South Germany was built around 630 AD, and still people live in it today. ;)

Yes but within that 1000 years, have all the roads remained the same? Have all the town remained the same? 1000 years later, new buildings were created, new areas perhaps discovered, technology has improved, etc. For it all to remain the same 1000 years back seems a bit silly to me.

Yes but within that 1000 years, have all the roads remained the same? Have all the town remained the same? 1000 years later, new buildings were created, new areas perhaps discovered, technology has improved, etc. For it all to remain the same 1000 years back seems a bit silly to me.

For once, as long as the middle ages lasted, the cities in Europe essentially did stay much the same roads, yes, due to the confinement into City Wall areas. But also, isn't that how all Fantasy Worlds are? I mean, check Tolkien or whatever you like. From the screen it DID change a lot, but some core buildings also remain. Seems plausible enough for me. *shrug*

I live in Berlin, which just got 775 years now, being one of the younger cities here, and I live in one of the oldest parts of the city, and I once saw a city map from 1500, and most of the roads exist even today, just broader and renamed. ;)

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

Ignorance is bliss so just don't worry about it.  

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Its magic?!

I love how flying and fireballs never need an explanation, but a road being the same 1,000 years later is mind blowing!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    it seems a bit silly to try and recreate the same monuments and whatnot considering the large time gap between the titles.

There are some very old cathedrals that are still in place and used as cathedrals.

I suppose it's silly to make the land "exactly" the same but I can see some buildings still being there depending on the history of the area.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Its magic?!

I love how flying and fireballs never need an explanation, but a road being the same 1,000 years later is mind blowing!

Hehe, I lol'ed :D

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Ori

Maybe not 1000 years but several hundred years for sure.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Twilight33Twilight33 Member UncommonPosts: 37

just because you suspend disbelief for one thing doesnt mean everything all of a sudden doesnt have to make sense.

also suspension of disbelief doesnt just happen. some kind of effort has to be made to justify it.

Originally posted by Twilight33

just because you suspend disbelief for one thing doesnt mean everything all of a sudden doesnt have to make sense.

also suspension of disbelief doesnt just happen. some kind of effort has to be made to justify it.

Well maybe the roads never needed to change? Or maybe they did change, then changed back based on historical documents! Quite often people find pictures and other documents that detail buildings and what not being a different way at one point. Then historical societies sometimes recreate this.

Also, remember there are some races that live for thousands of years in TES aren't there? 1,000 year old road only seems long by human standards. Also it's clear this world is not a technologically evolving world. At least not in the same way the real world has. They're kinda stuck in the middle ages.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    O man it looks even better in TESO! But why you write ESO??? Maybe TES would be better
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    O man it looks even better in TESO! But why you write ESO??? Maybe TES would be better

TESPNLOLZ!!!!!

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

LOTRO keeps very well to all the iconic locations in the LOTR world. Weathertop, Moria, The Shire, etc. The world is done extremely well.

However the game sucks because it trashes the lore of LOTR with crap like Runekeepers and Loremasters, epic armor, quest hubs, etc

I foresee much of the same trashing of ES with TESO

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

For once, as long as the middle ages lasted, the cities in Europe essentially did stay much the same roads, yes, due to the confinement into City Wall areas. But also, isn't that how all Fantasy Worlds are? I mean, check Tolkien or whatever you like. From the screen it DID change a lot, but some core buildings also remain. Seems plausible enough for me. *shrug*

I live in Berlin, which just got 775 years now, being one of the younger cities here, and I live in one of the oldest parts of the city, and I once saw a city map from 1500, and most of the roads exist even today, just broader and renamed. ;)

What I meant are things like this : http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbookmap.asp  (Look at some of the maps linked under General)

For a game that has always been about conflict, for everything to remain the same accross all cities and provinces makes little sense. Even the name of places can change and will change, new cities are created only to be erased from the map years later, etc.

The only thing I see here is just ZOS' developers panicking to find something to keep players interested in the game so they remade popular areas of Oblivion and Skyrim into the game. I was getting mildly interested after the slew of positive articles about the game, but truly this is just DAoC 2 with a TES skin (and don't get me started on the pre-made factions...).

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's not daoc 2 either
    Daoc has 0 instancing
    TESO has mini game pvp, instanced dungeons, instanced raids, hell even multiple instances of the world zones.

Also no doubt with there being 1 mega server them will be cross factioning cheating.

I wish they would copy daoc more.
    Get rid of the instancing
    Have the core / ffa / coop server types (core is restricted to home pve zones, shared pvp zones, ffa you can go anywhere and everywhere is pvp, coop you can go anywhere, cross faction group and has no pvp)

That would be closer to tes single player.

Unfortunately they've also shoved a chunk of wow and swtor in there.
  • Twilight33Twilight33 Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by Twilight33

Well maybe the roads never needed to change? Or maybe they did change, then changed back based on historical documents! Quite often people find pictures and other documents that detail buildings and what not being a different way at one point. Then historical societies sometimes recreate this.

Also, remember there are some races that live for thousands of years in TES aren't there? 1,000 year old road only seems long by human standards. Also it's clear this world is not a technologically evolving world. At least not in the same way the real world has. They're kinda stuck in the middle ages.

and if they justify it like that it is fine. anything else is just being lazy.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

Its magic?!

best post in years! 

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Spoken from someone with no knowledge of historical reference.

Listen to Elikal, this stuff is easily explainable with someone with a bit of historical knowledge.  I know its hard for this iPhone -Facebook crowd to grasp but it is possible.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    i think you have to give them a little slack. They are just trying to make it familiar to TES fans and i dont think thats a bad thing. Im not going to nitpick the timeline on this one.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    why are the comparison screens so small though? can't see much.
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

All roads? No, probably not.

However some roads have a very good chance of lasting that long if they were placed in a logical way in the first place. In the UK we have lots of roads that date back to when the Romans invaded that are still main roads today.

I wouldnt mind but if you look at the comparisons they're quite different tbh. Look at the Windhelm comparison for example it clearly shows that the town has changed and advanced over the years (higher & better walls etc) and the road pictures may be in the same place but you can see that it has become over grown and has different paving, infact out of all the comparrisons the only thing that looks largely unchanged is the Chapel of Stendarr, but those types of buildings are built to last anyway and as has been pointed out before there are plenty of real world examples of those buildings lasting over 1k years (and even in that example the town around it looks changed as the trees and buildings arent in the same positions)

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Spoken from someone with no knowledge of historical reference.

Listen to Elikal, this stuff is easily explainable with someone with a bit of historical knowledge.  I know its hard for this iPhone -Facebook crowd to grasp but it is possible.

Nice attempt at flaming, but I'll return that sentence back to you. I wrote a third post (#16) to clear up the misunderstanding. I used roads as a vague statement to express how everything changes. Can't believe people would hook so easily with roads and roll with that while disregarding the rest of the post. I know it's hard for this iPhone-Facebook crowd but...