Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: This Momentous Occasion

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm
    Originally posted by dimmit77
    I stopped reading at : "A Realm Reborn will feature a PC version and a PS3 version ... "

FFXI supported PC, Playstation 2 and Xbox 360 ... I don't see what the big deal is.

I despised the controls for the PC version, as it was nothing more than a bastardized version of the console game.  I'm sick to death of companies who are too damn lazy to make seperate interfaces and control paradigms for the multiple platforms they claim to support.

• mmozombiemmozombie Member Posts: 15
    Meh... still a subscription game... dont care how good it looks, too many fun free to play mmo's out there to mess with a pay to play game...
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    I stopped reading at : "A Realm Reborn will feature a PC version and a PS3 version ... "

FFXI supported PC, Playstation 2 and Xbox 360 ... I don't see what the big deal is.

I despised the controls for the PC version, as it was nothing more than a bastardized version of the console game.  I'm sick to death of companies who are too damn lazy to make seperate interfaces and control paradigms for the multiple platforms they claim to support.

It's been explained (again, not demonstrated yet) that there will be multiple control configurations. One specific to the PC which is in line with what a PC MMO gamer would be used to. There will be 2 (I believe) setups for console - one using the gamepad, another (presumably) using mouse and keyboard peripherals.

So, playing on a PC will feel more appropriate for PC. Playing on a Console will feel more appropriate for a console.

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Originally posted by MadnessRealmI despised the controls for the PC version, as it was nothing more than a bastardized version of the console game.  I'm sick to death of companies who are too damn lazy to make seperate interfaces and control paradigms for the multiple platforms they claim to support.

Remember to at least check to see if your complaints have been remedied before letting out your warcry.

• NadriellNadriell Member UncommonPosts: 197
    Originally posted by adam_nox

These are bold claims, but developing an engine and a client for PC only takes years, and add on top of that they would have also had to start from scratch on converting the PS3 version, it makes me very skeptical.

Definitely going to hold them accountable to such claims.

They already have done this and have shown countless videos of it....   the PS3 UI is a world apart from the PC UI yet all operate Amazingly... its really incredible

• kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45
    the game is good in its current state and is only going to get better with ARR. I cant wait for it to come out and shut all the nay sayers up.
  • StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    We've gotten to see it grow from a tiny red speck in the sky, to its current form as a massive red, spiked sphere breaking through the world's atmosphere. Here's a great collage showing it in each stage..

That is awesome

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Never thought this is possible, but for sure will give it a try. :-) Was one of the worst games ever i have payed for client. Now sounds like the right thing.
  • BlessingsBlessings Member Posts: 66

You sure did gush a lot for a non biased column.

How much does one of these columns cost a company?

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

As someone else already mentioned, the game demos have provided virtually no information on the game.  A dragoon runs around killing helpless creatures......woopee.  How is that different than TSW, LOR, WoW, and so many other MMOs. The director has mentioned several times that WoW is what he is trying to make.

Lots of people will buy and play ARR when it is released. People will give it decent reviews and say it is an improvement over 1.0. Three months later no one will play the game or talk about it.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

The games problems never stemmed from the game engine. Using a new one sounds crazy, that is a huge amount of time wasted getting the game to run on the new engine. A huge amount of work was needed but the had the core working, no wonder it has taken them ages to get to this stage.

The fatigue system was not a bad idea. Unfortunately any new ideas associated with a game that failed this badly are going to go to the wall. I hope someone try’s a new way of working such a system again.

Stab in the dark but it looks like they have dumbed down crafting.

The good news is they are still working on it, one day this will be a MMO to play, not sure we are there yet though.

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by Blessings

Just so you know, this isn't the Devil's Advocate for this week, and as far as I can remember when I wrote it, I did not mention that I was unbiased. 

I like the Final Fantasy brand. At the same time, I will admit that I was disappointed by FFXIII and FFXIV. The information given so far for the game gives me hope, and the potential of a game like this to be a defining moment in MMO history makes me pause, because it can cost tons of jobs and change lives if it fails.

I am enthusiastic for the game based on its potential, but at the same time, I've played enough games to know that the potential for something to be good does not make it good unless I try it and make that distinction for myself, based on my personal opinion and my understanding of the situation.

The idea that I am some sort of paid shill is a hurtful insinutation on your part, and while I would defend your ability to say it on this forum if push came to shove, I will not stand by and accept your accusation. Frankly, as a fellow person on this planet, I am hurt by your words, and I honestly hope that you would actually consider the gravity of what you're saying to me or to anyone else in the future.

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by victorbjr
    Originally posted by Blessings

Just so you know, this isn't the Devil's Advocate for this week, and as far as I can remember when I wrote it, I did not mention that I was unbiased. 

I like the Final Fantasy brand. At the same time, I will admit that I was disappointed by FFXIII and FFXIV. The information given so far for the game gives me hope, and the potential of a game like this to be a defining moment in MMO history makes me pause, because it can cost tons of jobs and change lives if it fails.

I am enthusiastic for the game based on its potential, but at the same time, I've played enough games to know that the potential for something to be good does not make it good unless I try it and make that distinction for myself, based on my personal opinion and my understanding of the situation.

The idea that I am some sort of paid shill is a hurtful insinutation on your part, and while I would defend your ability to say it on this forum if push came to shove, I will not stand by and accept your accusation. Frankly, as a fellow person on this planet, I am hurt by your words, and I honestly hope that you would actually consider the gravity of what you're saying to me or to anyone else in the future.

Well said.  The rudeness of some of the posts on this website sometimes startles me.  I should be used to it by now, but I don't think I ever will be.  There is never any need for being rude, nor for bandying unsubstantiated claims about.  

I particularly support your wish that the poster would actually consider the gravity of what they say in the future and its potential impact.  Of course constructive criticism should always be welcome, but most posters seem to have no inkling of what that means.

In terms of your article itself: it was wellI written and informative, and I was interested enough to read it thoroughly and most of the responses which followed.  I played FFIV for a time, and whilst loving the graphics and general look of the game, and the the fact that it was final fantasy (my first rpg was FFVII), the UI was clunky and non-intuitive, and somehow I just didn't take to the combat system.  Your article makes me think again, and I may well take a look once the Reborn version is available.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Giddian

This Game is Past for Me. I don't want to rehash the past. you don't see people going back to VHS or 8-Tracks. It had its run.

it's like them bringing back Myspace.... Not going anywhere. I had Fond memories of FFXI, Bad Memories of FFXIV, aqnd thats the way they should Stay. Memories. Move forward, not back.

Enjoy Playing what makes you happy. Games Rarely  make a Comeback. Now if they made it F2P, I MIGHT think about it.

What a confusing post lol...

All that effort to set up your manifesto of 'move forward always', and then you cap it all off by saying, 'well, unless they give me the client maybe'.

Which suggests to me that it isn't the fact that it is relaunching stopping you, despite what other noise you make, but rather the fact that you might have to shell out a little money to play.

You do realise that if you have the client already (which you seem to suggest you do) then it basically is free to look again?

Who knows, you might be even able to fix those 'bad memories' with new good ones! Cheaper then therapy anyhow ;)

Free Client would make me Goof with it, Not Stay with it. I check out all Games that go from sub to F2P, Never worth staying with them though. but you are right, that makes my statement a Bit Confusing.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

I'm not sure if this was mentioned in previous posts didn't read all 10 pages honestly. My initial reactions to the re-release of ffxiv was one of scepticism but now I'm not sure. The main reason I'm not sure is because of the recent nerfs to ffxi. They haven't taken effect yet but are planned for the near future. Some of them are very damaging to current gameplay strategies and almost make certain content near impossible or so incredibly difficult not many will want to participate or simply won't be able to.

So I can see many people deciding to move on towards anothergame. Most of them will look at ffxiv and if it is welcomed with a more positive outlook this go around I could see a lot of the players still holding onto ffxi making the jump to ffxiv.

When ffxiv first came out it wasn't well received by the ffxi community to say the least. Which honestly is filled with some of the most die-hard final fantasy fans around. So if they can get some of that market share people can begin transitioning to the new game and the more that make the jump will cause even more to follow suit.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Good article, very interresting. Certainly one to watch but i doubt many players will touch this without a free trial. FFXIV was one of the worth things to hit the mmorpg scene since SWG CU and it left many players annoyed to say the least with SE.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468
    After playing GW2, "LF1M healer" has become unacceptable to me. Hence any game featuring that kind of ideology will not even be considered.
  • TaiyohTaiyoh Member UncommonPosts: 48
    I've been looking forward to 2.0 for a long time now. And the closer we get to launch, the more excited I get about it. It's taken FFXI about two years before it actually became better polished and more popular as well, so I have faith that Square Enix can pull it off again.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

It's been explained (again, not demonstrated yet) that there will be multiple control configurations. One specific to the PC which is in line with what a PC MMO gamer would be used to. There will be 2 (I believe) setups for console - one using the gamepad, another (presumably) using mouse and keyboard peripherals.

So, playing on a PC will feel more appropriate for PC. Playing on a Console will feel more appropriate for a console.

This was in regards to your FFXI comment, a game mind you that had a horrible PC interface and control mechanic.  I know they "say" they will have an appropriate PC control scheme for the updated FFXIV, but I'll wait and see before I believe.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Off the thread topic but a question about the client. Someone gave me a collectors edition of the game. It is still sitting on the shelf in its original plastic wrapper. If they make the necessary improvements as they state they are, will I be able to use it to load up the game and get that first month it comes with to play?

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

*raises hand*

Are they not wiping old characters?

I see the part about money being denominated, which leads me to believe they wont.

This is crucial to me returning. There were multiple exploits in game that not only leveled your classes stupid fast, but also your wallet.

If they are not wiping, im not coming back. Sorry! Doesn't matter if they take a zero off, going from a billion to a hundred million changes little :)

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    No they aren't and thank God for that, over the last year i've worked hard for the things I got.

While that may be true, the ones that DID exploit their way up will be kicking off the new game with market dominance.

While they are helping a TINY bit by dropping prices on everything, the bankrollers will still have the same amount of effective money to drive the market prices up.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

I must say, I am very excited to see the revision for FFXIV.  I got a spot in the beta, and was sorely disappointed in the condition of the game. I purchased the Collector's Edition anyway, because I've been a fan of the Final Fantasy series for many years, and I loved FFXI.

Sadly, FFXIV did not live up to my expectations, but when I read about 2.0 my hopes were raised again.  I'm cautiously willing to give FFXIV another chance, I hope I'm not disappointed.  I have a feeling I won't be.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I read everything I wanted to know when I read this :

"a PC version and a PS3"

NO!    MMO's with a control system design for a pad, DO NOT WORK.

Have fun with this product,  but I'll not even be researching anymore about this, nor will I be reccomending it to anyone.

• YaoimanYaoiman Member Posts: 51

Your MMO sucks and gamers hate you so you go F2P and charge them a fortune for everything in the cash shop; they love you again.

Your MMO sucks and gamers hate you so you rebuild the game from the ground up with amazing ideas and things that will make the new version into a masterpiece; they still hate you and refuse to even give it a try.

Gamers are stupid.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one.

We will always remember your sacrifice, Louisoux!