Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Turbine Layoffs Confirmed

Comments

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

I played for years, but quit hard right after Isengard, which felt rushed and overpriced.

I have been hoping for a look at Rohan for years and wishing for some kind of mount system that made mounts more than just a speed boost with a horse skin. After playing the Rohan beta I was not as impressed as I hoped. The $40 price tag is a big turnoff.

Sorry to hear about more gamer employees getting the boot.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    I hope if we ever get another MMO based on LOTR its a sandbox with a crafted economy. All I can say about LOTRO is what a waste of time and money. :(
  • kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87

The whole MMO industry is feeling the squeeze, this is not just turbine, but everyone, even WOW is on the downtrend.

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Looks like F2P conversions are time buyers and not the sweet saviour that many folks had dreamed. Ah well, it will be intriguing to see how everything unfolds.

Yeah, seems that's the case.

F2P prolongues a MMO's life, it does not make it immortal although it does lengthen its timespan. It's almost going to be 3 YEARS since LOTRO got its second wind from F2P, that was already a long time ago. 

I would say turbine have gotten their moneys worth. 

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Sadly, they tried for greed to make off as much money from the fans and I think it backfired heavily and likely lost even MORE players and as such even more potential cash. Sucks to because turbine had an actually decent, in some cases good Cash shop system. DDO did a pretty good job with theirs as well as a way to earn the points to buy more without paying which, while not perfect, was a step up from a lot of other games. Now its all seeming as if they are dwindling away the player base by getting more and more greedy. Lotro itself was a relatively poor form for the cash shop to start and only got worst.

Greed really sucks, it makes developers think they can get away with murder and in the end often causes a lot more loss of cash rather then the gain they hope to get. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Sadly, they tried for greed to make off as much money from the fans and I think it backfired heavily and likely lost even MORE players and as such even more potential cash. Sucks to because turbine had an actually decent, in some cases good Cash shop system. DDO did a pretty good job with theirs as well as a way to earn the points to buy more without paying which, while not perfect, was a step up from a lot of other games. Now its all seeming as if they are dwindling away the player base by getting more and more greedy. Lotro itself was a relatively poor form for the cash shop to start and only got worst.

Greed really sucks, it makes developers think they can get away with murder and in the end often causes a lot more loss of cash rather then the gain they hope to get. 

RoR looked very much like a last ditch cash grab.  Hoepfully that's not the case.  But the prices they were charging seemed to be designed to take advantage of their hardcore players.

I haven't paid a dime since they went SoM (I'm a lifer).  Rather than ramp up development and re-invest in the game, they cut back and chose to put out a minimum amount of content.  That is not deserving of my money.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by kalrhael
    Looks like F2P conversions are time buyers and not the sweet saviour that many folks had dreamed. Ah well, it will be intriguing to see how everything unfolds.

F2P prolongues a MMO's life, it does not make it immortal although it does lengthen its timespan. It's almost going to be 3 YEARS since LOTRO got its second wind from F2P, that was already a long time ago. 

I would say turbine have gotten their moneys worth

Wait. How can that be. LOTRO (and DDO) are FREE to play. Doesn't that mean that they do not require you to spend ANY REAL MONEY? As the saying goes "you get what you PAY FOR". In this case, Turbine is getting what you DON'T pay for. ;)

F2P is a lie. Those (companies) that live by that lie are bound to die by it. Good ridance.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223

Turbine now has scrolls you can buy in the cash store to max out your crafting skills?  I had to look twice and read that again slowly.

Cash-shop whoring some of the most devoted fans in the fantasy genre.   Not sure how much worse it can get.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Publicity stunt. Any publicity is good publicity. I'll guarantee their expansion sales go up now that everyone is being reminded that turbine still exists. I'll guarantee Turbine knew this as well.

This "bad news for more and free media coverage" is starting to become very commonplace.

Before.. companies just kept this sort of thing to themselves.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Scorchien

This may be more of a restructuring and taking Turbine in a new direction , as they made some key hires just days previous to lead there development.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/109839-turbine-expands-leadership-team-ken-rolston-joins-as-director-of-design.html

I was thinking this is likely as well, as I'm sure they are putting a lot of faith in those "established" names they just hired.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I had a lifetime sub for both me and the wife.  Then we got that crap called SOM shadows of mirkwood, then the even more crap of dunland.   I logged out and never went back.  That is two lifetime subs just sitting there rotting. An no you cant have my stuff.  We did not buy ROI shortly after it went live we both got a notice that our accounts were banned, due to some strange things.  The truth we did not buy ROI and were punished, they claimed it was an error and our accounts were banned by accident.  I went about getting the accounts unbanned,  then the same thing happened with ROR this time I am not even going to bother, they can have those two accounts.

Just goes to prove that freemium might not be working and might have prolonged the inevitable. This is a good thing drive a stake into companies thinking that freemiums are going to fix their woes.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Hopefully bw is looking at this ....

RIP Orc Choppa

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by Elsabolts
    Originally posted by Xerith
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

I've got a Lifetime sub and quit the game when it went F2P glad to see the Lay-offs.

Because people losing their jobs is cool right?

Bad Management Decisons lead to folks getting laid off blame them.

Had to delete those stupid pictures. Anways, I do blame them but I'm still not happy that people have lost their jobs. The fact that you say you are really says something.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Ehliya

Turbine now has scrolls you can buy in the cash store to max out your crafting skills?  I had to look twice and read that again slowly.

Cash-shop whoring some of the most devoted fans in the fantasy genre.   Not sure how much worse it can get.

I can't believe they sell scrolls to instant max crafting tiers.  I already hate their FTP restrictions (no quests past newbie) but this  is much worse.  I can't imagine why their 5+ year old game is struggling...oh yeah it's 5+ years old.  It was a nice 6 month diversion for me around Mirkwood but I think they have reached a point of  desperation and going about things in the wrong way.

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Mardukk

Turbine now has scrolls you can buy in the cash store to max out your crafting skills?  I had to look twice and read that again slowly. Cash-shop whoring some of the most devoted fans in the fantasy genre.   Not sure how much worse it can get.

I can't believe they sell scrolls to instant max crafting tiers.  I already hate their FTP restrictions (no quests past newbie) but this  is much worse.  I can't imagine why their 5+ year old game is struggling...oh yeah it's 5+ years old.  It was a nice 6 month diversion for me around Mirkwood but I think they have reached a point of  desperation and going about things in the wrong way.

Ok 1st off there is nothing in the store that give you instant max tier. You can buy scrolls that give you an extra 50% boost but not instant max. 2nd Lotro is still a good game and is also very active. My kinship alone has over 20 people on at any giving time and we are a smaller kin. ROR has been there best expansion since Moria, once they release the instances might pass it up. So people can say turbine sucks and has made mistakes but the game is still alive and well. The economy suck people, companies are struggling its no surprise video game companies are feeling the pain.
  • c0796c0796 Member UncommonPosts: 39

Some harsh comments by some of you. Especially when someone says it is good there was layoffs. Even though mistakes were made, being glad that someone was axed is telling about your charracter.

How would you feel if your boss let you go tomorrow because of a mistake or poor decision you made? Try and remember, we all make mistakes, including you. Take a look in the mirror once in awhile.

Every developer out there makes mistakes, it's called being human.

I'm especially curious why some of you come to the conclusions you do. Were you employed with these people and actually have some facts? I'm guessing not.

Laying off some staff and replacing them with others who might help a company improve happens every week.

Granted the F2P model is deceiving as nothing is free and some of the shop items may have been a bad idea doesn't mean they can't learn from their mistakes and turn things around.

I for one try and look at the pros instead of the cons. Every game has them. It is getting harder and harder to please people. The bar for gaming keeps getting raised and it seems like more and more people do nothing but bit*h and complain.

For all we know, Turbine may be the shiny jewel in this and WB made the mistakes and yet some of you just point the finger at Turbine. If you don't have the facts, don't try and sound like you know what happened.

I for one hope LOTRO addresses the key issues players have and improves upon their title. They did a lot of good things with the game but everyone has to work on improving.

Question is, are their hands tied?

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Really crappy new's turbine has made mistake's sure, but imho most of the really bad mistake's came after WB took control. Hopefully all the people who lost their job can find new one's in the near future.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Xerith
    Guess RoR didn't sell that well? Have seen next to really nothing about it since it was released. 

According to EA/BioWare supporters, massive layoffs and lead developer resignations are normal whenever a highly successful product is released

Since the top tier of the Turbine design team didn't all resign, you are right.  RoR might not have been successful.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

It seems so few MMOs are not laying off... I can only think of 3 that are not (Blizzard, Anet, and I think Trion).

This article never stated the layoffs were from the LOTRO team. And just last week they added 5 experienced developers. So these comments about the layoff prove lotro is failing are misguided. Granted lotro is not the most populated mmo out there or to some not the best. But from what my kinmates and experience day in and day out its still a very good and active game. I would bet the road to Mordor will continue and it will be a fun ride.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Gruug
    Originally posted by kalrhael

I would say turbine have gotten their moneys worth

Wait. How can that be. LOTRO (and DDO) are FREE to play. Doesn't that mean that they do not require you to spend ANY REAL MONEY? As the saying goes "you get what you PAY FOR". In this case, Turbine is getting what you DON'T pay for. ;)

F2P is a lie. Those (companies) that live by that lie are bound to die by it. Good ridance.

No, F2P is not a lie.  But so many people are idiots that expect a full game experience for free.  And when they dont get it they whine like babies about it, thinking that a company shouldnt try to make money off their product.  Seems to me customers are just as greedy as some of these developers.  

That said, Turbine has gone to far.  The slippery slope did indeed come into play here, as the cash shop has gotten out of hand.  In a freemium model if subbers have to dip into the cash shop to keep up you have gone too far.  Nickel and dime f2pers all you want, but dont touch the subbers.

Of course the lifetime sub probably comes into play.  Whomever thought of that idea did this game a colossal disservice.

I do wonder how much longer this freemiu trend will continue.  It seems people are becoming more and more resistant to it, even if the system really isnt bad (SoE model).  People arent grateful for playing the game for free, they just care about what they can't do and you are greedy for wanting them to sub if they find they enjoy your game.  Its becoming a lose-lose.  

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Gaborik

Ok 1st off there is nothing in the store that give you instant max tier. You can buy scrolls that give you an extra 50% boost but not instant max. 2nd Lotro is still a good game and is also very active. My kinship alone has over 20 people on at any giving time and we are a smaller kin. ROR has been there best expansion since Moria, once they release the instances might pass it up. So people can say turbine sucks and has made mistakes but the game is still alive and well. The economy suck people, companies are struggling its no surprise video game companies are feeling the pain.

Just because you have an active kinship doesn't give the game any creedance.  I've play LotRO and on some servers there is aboslute desolace, which was great farming mats but when I moved to one of the few populated servers it was a pita.

And really the economy has jack to do with it, GW2 launched in this recession and it sold extrodinarily well.  The problem is game design and managment.  Turbine is more focused now on DDO than LotRO, they go back n forth it seems like on which MMO to fully support. 

My consipracy theory is that Turbine will be in world of trouble and this is just the beginning.  GW2 has launched and Neverwinter is close to being released which will likely put a real hurt on their DDO revenue.  What they need to do is a reboot like what ANet did with their GW IP, their games are old and an eyesore nowadays with lackluster mechanics and not so stellar combat elements.

• zyklonianzyklonian Member UncommonPosts: 51
    i played lotro exclusivley since vanilla. Moria was a great xpac because it was fresh and new (original legenday weapon theory). i still remeber stepping through the gates!  made some really good friends too that i still play other games with to this day.  the day that ftp was annouced was just the first nail in the coffin for this game.  the quality of the game just nose dived from that point. No one that has played mmos can honestly call RoI and RoR an xpac.......  theres no real content its all smoke and mirrors
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Turbine now has scrolls you can buy in the cash store to max out your crafting skills?  I had to look twice and read that again slowly. Cash-shop whoring some of the most devoted fans in the fantasy genre.   Not sure how much worse it can get.

Just because you have an active kinship doesn't give the game any creedance.  I've play LotRO and on some servers there is aboslute desolace, which was great farming mats but when I moved to one of the few populated servers it was a pita.

And really the economy has jack to do with it, GW2 launched in this recession and it sold extrodinarily well.  The problem is game design and managment.  Turbine is more focused now on DDO than LotRO, they go back n forth it seems like on which MMO to fully support. 

My consipracy theory is that Turbine will be in world of trouble and this is just the beginning.  GW2 has launched and Neverwinter is close to being released which will likely put a real hurt on their DDO revenue.  What they need to do is a reboot like what ANet did with their GW IP, their games are old and an eyesore nowadays with lackluster mechanics and not so stellar combat elements.

Oh and TOR sold well....lotro is doing better than that, Tera sold well lotro is doing better than that, Secret World sold well lotro is doing better than that. GW2 did sell a lot its numbers also have plunged just like every other MMO. My conspiracy theory is GW2 fanbois like yourself try to spew false claims about every other game because they lose players to expansions like MOP and ROR and also games like Tor when it goes F2P. Note I did not say Lotro is better than the games i mentioned just doing better thats up to each individual player to decide (not doing better than GW2) and I personally enjoy lotro more than all the above.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Oh and TOR sold well....lotro is doing better than that, Tera sold well lotro is doing better than that, Secret World sold well lotro is doing better than that. GW2 did sell a lot its numbers also have plunged just like every other MMO. My conspiracy theory is GW2 fanbois like yourself try to spew false claims about every other game because they lose players to expansions like MOP and ROR and also games like Tor when it goes F2P. Note I did not say Lotro is better than the games i mentioned just doing better thats up to each individual player to decide (not doing better than GW2) and I personally enjoy lotro more than all the above.

1. LOTRO is NOT doing any better than TOR.

2. TERA and TSW did not sell well, at all.  LOTRO probably has more subs than both games combined. 

3. bringing up the economy is laughable.  MMOs = cheap entertainment, not really affected by the economy

4. to the quoted person, what DDO revenue is there to lose?  I have a feeling these cuts are much more towards the DDO team than the LOTRO team.

5.  I serously doubt RoR had any impact at all on GW2 population.  MoP had an impact to a small extent, but even that didnt have a big impact.  People that bought it were mostly playing WoW still anyway.