Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMOs you've brought were worth the money ?

Comments

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Pretty much all of them.

It's rare that I didn't get to the end of the free month... I didn't in WAR, but even that gave me 30-40 hours.

I have played more single player games that I felt ripped me off then MMOs tbh.

My thoughts exactly.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

FFXI

UO

Vanguard

GW1

Lineage II

TERA

RIFT

and Sadly SWTOR and WoW.

I spent most of my time in FFXI, UO and GW1. Even though I'm not playing a lot of those on the list anymore, they were still worth the money given I played them with friends and had a good time in them. 

I definately had the most fun when I was playing FFXI though. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I played EQ as my first mmo

Didn't like the elitist types, quit before the month was up vowing to never play a mmo.

Fortunately gave daoc a shot over year later.
  • IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

If we consider only games " i would buy again if given the chance to re-think about it" due to the fact i got as much fun as i paid for and more :

-Phantasy Star Online 1&2

-World of Warcraft

-Guild Wars 2

And Tera would figure here as well if they did not "westernize" it by censoring, nerfing and streamrolling the hell out of it to appeal to "our community"

That´s about it really.

• DarhammDarhamm Member UncommonPosts: 68

GREAT value for my money:

World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Fallen Earth

OK value:

Age of Conan, The Secret World, Warhammer Online, SW The Old Republic, RIFT, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes,

Abysmal value:

Aion, EverQuest 2, Guild Wars 1, EVE online

Totally idiotic buys with very little /played for me:

Darkfall, Star Trek Online

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Didn't like the elitist types, quit before the month was up vowing to never play a mmo.

Ok so it wasn't the actual game then, just what you call elitist types, that's not you being robbed that's you not liking the community.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Yes - UO, Lineage 2, Lotro (lifetimer), WoW, Darkfall

Maybe - TSW, GW2, GW1

Umm, no - Earthrise, MO, Tera, Fallen Earth, Aion, AoC, D3

Regret not trying - AC, AO, SWG, Rift, EQ1, DAOC, Eve

Happy I didnt try - SWTor, Warhammer, STO, Xyson

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    MMOs that were worth it to me - EQ1,AC,DAOC,PS,WoW,VG,Lotro,Rift, and GW2
  • KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

EvE Online

GW1

GW2

World Of Warcraft

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Almost all of them.  They were fun enough to be worth the $50.. that doesn't make them good MMOs, though.  Guess I just don't value money as much as some people do?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    SWTOR. My brother accidentally bought two digital deluxe packages off Origin and gave one too me. Worth every penny I spent. Other than that, I played swg for about 4 years, so I would have to say I got my moneys worth there.
  • GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

In on particular order.....

Asheron's Call - until the day I stopped playing

Dark Age of Camelot - until the day I stopped playing

City of Heroes - until they shut the server down.

World or Warcraft - up until Burning Crusade.

Star Wars: Galaxies - until the day I stopped playing.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

Well before F2P it was very easy to determine what was worth the money. Sadly now most companies want to nickle and dime you to death.

Asheron's Call: Easily worth every penny for the 3 or so years I played it.

Daoc: Worth the money but the pve aspect of the game was extremely lacking.

Anarchy Online: I'd day I played it enough to make it worthwile although it could have been much better.

Wow: worth the money for the vanilla experience. I pretty much slowly lost interest after BC and each expansion as they changed the game into the Walmart of the mmo world.

Lotor: easily worth the money up until F2P and then I likely spent even more making it possible that it's no longer worth it.

*insert random mmo's I may have bought but pretty much forgot*: obvisouly not worth the money if I even spent money on them.

WAR: not worth the money any way you look at it.

SWG: Ya worth it during the first year when community towns weren't ghost towns. After that and even long before teh NGE the game wasn't worth the money. It's sandbox elements were good but the pve, worlds and the physics in the game were terrible. The original skill system was also terrible with players simply stat stacking not to mention the rediculous Jedi mechanics.

Allods Online: Actually a decent game if wanting a complete Wow clone but even before official release they added one of the most extreme pay to win plans I have ever seen in any game which ruined for nearly everyone. Not worth a second in this game even if they eased up on the money grab. The owners of this game and companies attached to them through distribution and whatnot can burn within the fires of hell.

Swtor: Hard to say. I enjoyed the one and only story arc I finished (Agent) but leaving the game right after perhaps made it worth it. If I stuck around waiting for the changes I wanted it most certainly would not be worth it.

TSW: I still enjoy the story aspect to the game so worth it. I only play casually and never a penny in store (bonus points in game are significant now per month to buy what you need).

GW2: I couldn't stand the game to even finish beta let alone release. Biggest waste of money on a game as I haven't even played it.

You stay sassy!

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

EQ1 - literally years of played time over several years, all but the latest expansion or two (I haven't played in a couple years now). Probably 7-8 years of sub time on this game.

WoW (up through WotLK) - Liked vanilla ok (hit 60 early on before there was really any raid content and stopped playing until BC came), BC was really fun, WotLK was a step in the wrong direction but kept playing for a while, and it went downhill rapidly from early Wrath. Probably a couple hundred days playtime total, and 3-4 years of sub time.

GW1 - not a lot of playtime, but it's been fun and it's always been there whenever I've been bored.

GW2 - already hundreds of hours into this title, its fun, and like GW1, it will always be there

Vindictus - F2P, so I guess it was "worth" it no matter what, but I totally loved the combat, graphics, and physics effects (and still do)

Eve - I had a lot of fun learning how to play this game. Then by the time I finally had it figured out, I realized the real game was out in nullsec and I didn't have friends that played out there or that kind of time to stay with it - nor the real pvp mindset. The carebear game was pretty fun though for a long time. 4-5 years off and on subbed to this.

CoH - really fun in short bursts. The game play got a bit repetative after a few weeks, so I could only hand this one in short stints, but always had fun when I came back to it. A year or two of sub time total, will really miss it.

Planetside - Very fun, didn't put a lot of time into it because FPS'es usually aren't my thing, but this one was fun to play for a good bit. Between EQ1, this, and SQG it made the StationPass worth while.

SWG - didn't log a lot of playtime with this one at any one stretch. In the beginning it was very buggy and there were a lot of balancing issues, so I stopped playing for a while. Then I played for a bit, then all the crappy patches hit so I stopped again, then I started again for a bit just to play with the crafting, then it was closed. I still miss the open world gathering and housing.

Tabula Rosa/LOTRO/FFXI/DDO/SWTOR/Global Agenda/Rusty Hearts/Atlantica Online/WAR - these games were worth the box price and maybe a month or two of subs (or in the case of the F2P, spending a lil bit on the cash shop). I had fun, didn't regret buying them, but didn't stick with them for various reasons.

Total wastes:
    FFXIV - top of the list hands down. I don't even plan on looking at the 2.0
    WoW (Cata)
    Any LOTRO expansions
    Vanguard - it was a buggy mess, it's still clunky. I hear the community is great, but I just can't get into it.
    TERA - I was looking for Vindictus in a real open world. This wasn't it. It wasn't a bad game, but it wasn't what I was looking for.
    RIFT - felt like I was playing WoW again.
    AoC - Tutorial was awesome, game was pretty fun. Then the tutorial ended and it was like "Ok, now what".
    DCUO - was hoping it would be a better version of CoH. It wasn't.
    CO - see DCUO
    STO - was almost the same as CO, same graphics, similar missions, not much fun. glad I only open-beta'ed this one.
    Aion - played when it first came to NA. Hit about L41, calculated that to continue killing NPCs is was going to take over 10,000 more kills and approximately 5 weeks of 24/7 killing (which is exactly what I saw bots doing all around me). I hear that you leveled a lot faster in the Abyss, and that the grind is a lot better now, but I haven't had any desire to go back
    Runes of Magic - Regret even downloading this one. Had a friend playing it talk me into it. I can't believe they weren't sued by Blizzard for cloning WoW, and it was the most blatent and unobfuscated P2W system I've ever seen.
    EQ2 - was always biased by EQ1, and the lore was there, but the game was totally different. I didn't care for 2.0

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

The good old time won´t come back. It is because of the evolution of the internet.
    Edit: and Nostalgia of course.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    • Ultima Online
    • Everquest 1
    • Rift

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Worth the Money

EQ2 - suported it for 6 years - got also all expansions.

LOTRO - got lifetime sub and all expansions so far. I will probably get RoR when it goes for sale, as I am not playing it right now, but as Tolkien big fan I just like to have it.

SWTOR - loving the game and continuing to support it. Worth every penny I spent and I got CE :)

Waste of Money

Rift - played only 3 weeks if that,

Aion - Played maybe 4 weeks

AoC - Played maybe a month

WoW - played it for 1 week /grin

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

• UO

• Everquest

• SWG

• DAoC

• WoW - kinda

Everything else, not so much.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

Games that have given me more than my money's worth( i.e. more replayability than a console rpg of similar price).

Asheron's Call 

Anarchy Online

Final Fantasy XI 

Asheron's Call 2 (edit:  forgot to add it on first pass...)  Game released unfinished. The fighting between MS and Turbine along with MS Passport and a newGFX engine made this game a comedy of errors that was still fun)

City of Heroes 

World of Warcraft

Global Agenda

Tera

Guild Wars 2

Games that gave me my money's worth (approximately the same amount of time spent playing as I would a good console action/rpg game)

Aion

DC Universe Online (my son would argue this... )

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Star Trek Online (got caught by the hype train on this one...)

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87
    Nearly all of them provided me with countless hours of entertainment for a mere 15$. Although I don't buy MMO's on the first day. 
  • phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Ok so it wasn't the actual game then, just what you call elitist types, that's not you being robbed that's you not liking the community.

Weird EQ was about the only community I have liked so far.

I did like DF community but PvP like that brings out a whole different aspect of community.

I remember in EQ as a young player having the high end guilds do open raids that they geared people up in.  I remember when I was high end leading open elemental, time, tacvi, qvic, anguish raids for the new comers.

Now on these other games if you even ask a question you are called a Noob and receive some kind of L2 phrase and QQ message even if you ask something like anyone LFG?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Everquest2 was worth it for awhile,they were the kings of linear questing.

FFXI gave me the most complete robust game i have ever played in any genre.10 years old and i still play it and not becuase i have a high level player,i have rerolled new toons in a game where you don't have to make alts.

The BEST investment by miles,is actually not a MMORPG but Unreal Tournament,no other game has given me what that game did.30 bucks and almsot 14 years later i still play it from time to time and it helped me learn a ton about game design.I also learned a ton about hacking and cheating from UT99,not to cheat myself but to better understand it and spot it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

Great thread, btw.

Anarchy Online - always will be my favorite MMORPG

WOW - worth every last penny....was in the best guild ever in that game and still talk to some of the members

Rift - worth the money...period

The Secret World - Worth more than what I paid....a breakthrough in MMORPG's only because the quest system was so different

DC Universe Online - I would say that the game is more than worth the box price and free month...after that it's suspect at best

GW1 - I played when I wanted to and wasn't all that bad

GW2 - I played, didnt like it, but my son loves it and that's a plus for me.  Don't ever have to pay a sub

Ryzom - the game offers so much (make your own skills, extensive crafting...etc) that if you dont think it's worth it, you might want to get your head checked.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

Now on these other games if you even ask a question you are called a Noob and receive some kind of L2 phrase and QQ message even if you ask something like anyone LFG?

So true dude

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    SWG, WoW + TBC & GW2