Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers ('phases') tailored to playstyle rather then nationality? I like this

VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

It's about time someone did this really... I really like the idea of the questionaire that sorts players into phases based on play preference rather then *just* nationality (though I am sure you will be able to set your preference there as well).

It could even serve to balance the fatal (IMO) broken design of 'no group gouping' solo play as at least group preferred PvEers, for example, will be able to be in a space with others that think more or less the same.

Thoughts?

Comments

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    That sounds like the first innovative feature I've heared about this game yet.

REALITY CHECK

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    I just hope the questionnaire is long enough to narrow down who I play with by about 99% :)

You stay sassy!

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I've seen the suggestion for this posted on the boards since I registered here and the only argument against was "it's not worth the time/money" for different servers with different rules. I'd be happy to see that proven false.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

I will need the following options:

- 21+

- RP - enforced

- NO ERP - enforced

- RP names only

- FFA PvP

- Local chat only

- Open factions

- Open boarders

- Full-loot  PvP

- RL Gender only

If any of those options are missing for me to filter instances, I'm out.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Well I guess the old "variety is the spice of life" adage is lost on people these days.

I quite like speaking to people who haven't been through a 10 point vetting process in order to make sure they like exactly the same things as I do. I shudder to think about the people I know (both online and offline) who I get along with very well who would not have "made it" via a basic sorting criteria.

I hated Tram because it split the playerbase, it was the first step in turning online mmo communities into mini cliques all separate from each other. Now we are seeing the extremes of that come to fruition.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521
    Use such a questionaire to prioritize groups offered?  Maybe.  In a more enforcing filter?, no thanks.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Entinerint

- 21+

- RP - enforced

- NO ERP - enforced

- RP names only

- FFA PvP

- Local chat only

- Open factions

- Open boarders

- Full-loot  PvP

- RL Gender only

Nomnomnom.

OP: Seems like an awesome feature full of win if implemented well. Seems like a headache waiting to happen if implemented poorly. Playing with friends supercedes all other desires for me, and if the system is released buggy or overly complicated, I can only imagine the shitstorm of complaints. We'll see how it turns out.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    I just hope the questionnaire is long enough to narrow down who I play with by about 99% :)

I was thinking that if that questionnaire was in depth enough, I could get a server to myself.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by jdlamson75
    Originally posted by Tamanous

I was thinking that if that questionnaire was in depth enough, I could get a server to myself.

That could well be the norm in "mmos" in the not to distant future.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

If people are getting dumped on or encouraged onto certain servers based on a questionaire I really hope they are offering free transfers because it could get very messy.

End of the line though it will end up like every other MMO, a few main servers that everyone is on and the rest either get left there with dwindling populations because everyone is moving to the populated ones or merged. I think it will be a wasted effort.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

- 21+

- RP - enforced

- NO ERP - enforced

- RP names only

- FFA PvP

- Local chat only

- Open factions

- Open boarders

- Full-loot  PvP

- RL Gender only

Sounds like you just filtered youself out this game.  Why dont you put your money where you mouth is and not play a SINGLE MMO until it offers all these things.  Me thinks you will never play another MMO again as long as you live.

Originally posted by snapfusion

- 21+

- RP - enforced

- NO ERP - enforced

- RP names only

- FFA PvP

- Local chat only

- Open factions

- Open boarders

- Full-loot  PvP

- RL Gender only

Sounds like you just filtered youself out this game.  Why dont you put your money where you mouth is and not play a SINGLE MMO until it offers all these things.  Me thinks you will never play another MMO again as long as you live.

Why do you think I am MAKING an MMO...?

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

- 21+

- RP - enforced

- NO ERP - enforced

- RP names only

- FFA PvP

- Local chat only

- Open factions

- Open boarders

- Full-loot  PvP

- RL Gender only

What's the point of posting a list like this here? Or did you post it on every other games forums too since there's not a one mmorpg that has such features? The game isnt trying to be a second life, try Arche Age I think it's the closest thing you are looking for, but you'll have to skip it too since there's no "RL gender only", not that it even could be monitored.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

I will need the following options:- 21+- RP - enforced- NO ERP - enforced- RP names only- FFA PvP- Local chat only- Open factions- Open boarders- Full-loot  PvP- RL Gender onlyIf any of those options are missing for me to filter instances, I'm out.

i guess you are out lol

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Vannor

If people are getting dumped on or encouraged onto certain servers based on a questionaire I really hope they are offering free transfers because it could get very messy.

End of the line though it will end up like every other MMO, a few main servers that everyone is on and the rest either get left there with dwindling populations because everyone is moving to the populated ones or merged. I think it will be a wasted effort.

what would you like to transfer to?  there is only 1 server. 

Originally posted by Kuinn

- 21+

- RP - enforced

- NO ERP - enforced

- RP names only

- FFA PvP

- Local chat only

- Open factions

- Open boarders

- Full-loot  PvP

- RL Gender only

What's the point of posting a list like this here? Or did you post it on every other games forums too since there's not a one mmorpg that has such features? The game isnt trying to be a second life, try Arche Age I think it's the closest thing you are looking for, but you'll have to skip it too since there's no "RL gender only", not that it even could be monitored.

That's easy, whatever gender you select when making an account, and you must select one, is the only option when making a character.  Granted you could select a different gender on your account, but that's unlikely.

And yes, I posted this on every other MMO's forums.  Go look if you don't believe me.

Originally posted by muffins89

I obviously meant the phases which for all intent and purposes will work exactly like traditional servers do outside of logging in and server/client background communication. They split the overall community into seperate groups.

So, to answer your smart ass question... I would like to transfer to other phases since, from a players ingame point of view, there is hardly any difference between phases and servers.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

I obviously meant the phases which for all intent and purposes will work exactly like traditional servers do outside of logging in and server/client background communication. They split the overall community into seperate groups.

So, to answer your smart ass question... I would like to transfer to other phases since, from a players ingame point of view, there is hardly any difference between phases and servers.

how do you know you wont be able to play on different phases?  the game is over a year away,  dont jump to conclusion without first hearing the facts. 

how do you know you wont be able to play on different phases?  the game is over a year away,  dont jump to conclusion without first hearing the facts. 

I didn't say you won't be able to. I said I hope you can.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Given its one 'super server' then sure I can see it working. Otherwise its just a kind of channel feature thats been done plenty of times before, which actually is usually a thing in place to avoid lag and other issues. Nothing new at all, the only thing new is they seem to want to make the phase(channel) based off what you base yourself as rather then just putting you randomly in a low population one and letting you switch away (which I assume you will be able to for the sake of finding others).
  • rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

what questions would they have to ask to get a reasonable people server?

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Nothing new at all, the only thing new is they seem to want to make the phase(channel) based off what you base yourself as rather then just putting you randomly in a low population one and letting you switch away (which I assume you will be able to for the sake of finding others).

erm... well yes... that would be the heart of it.

The thread was started to remark on the method of sorting players according to playstyle was a good thing, it wasn't meant to say the technology was necessarily new or anything.

This approach is certainly pretty new, as far as I know and, to me, is a good thing.

Rather than just looking for something to be negative about, what do you think about it as a concept? Is ability to filter your 'phase' according to personality, language, timezone, play style, and other  variables a good or bad thing in your eyes?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't like THIS. at all
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    To reiterate, the best games cater to all playstyles, instanced to feck rules at least half of them out.
  • dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316
    Will this be like SWTOR? I love SWTOR!