Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley: "EverQuest Next will be the world's largest sandbox-style MMO ever made"

Comments

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Well, what I see is that no one seems to know what a sandbox really is and the definition seems to have lost it's meaning.

Can you create your own ships in EVE? I can create my own weapons, armor and houses now in Everquest: http://www.everquest.com/player-studio

You can make your own dungeons in EQ2.

So Everquest is more of a sandbox than EVE now? Or less, or neither are, or what. Sandbox seems to have a different definitions from person to person, which makes it pretty meaningless.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by 7777
    Stop trying to answer in riddles. Which sandbox game doesn't have an endgame and doesn't have progression? Name one.

What do you consider to be the 'endgame' of EVE?

Just like every other game, when the content and challenge runs out.

Why not answer the question, there is no content in Eve to run out, it is a place where things happen rather than where content is consumed and the challenge comes from other players whether competitors in manufacture or war.

If your answer was serious then it is coming from a place of deep ignorance.

Originally posted by RefMinor
    Stop trying to answer in riddles. Which sandbox game doesn't have an endgame and doesn't have progression? Name one.

Why not answer the question, there is no content in Eve to run out, it is a place where things happen rather than where content is consumed and the challenge comes from other players whether competitors in manufacture or war.

So PVP = sandbox now. Ok, new definition.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    Originally posted by RefMinor

So PVP = sandbox now. Ok, new definition.

can we please just use "world" now. we dont need the other terms anymore. EQ next will be a world and that cannot be denied. Im not certain what the features of the world will be but i hope they go to the side of player freedom and player made content.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i don't care how "sandbox" it is as long as they make it a challenging and unforgiving virtual world like EQ was when it first came out.

they just need to add great graphics, character models with a lot of options, and then add some sandbox features to improve on that.

a full sandbox open pvp game made from the ground up would not be everquest in my mind.

sure, there should be pvp servers and i will be playing on one of them but the game should be balanced around pve and the sandbox elements first.

heck,i don't care if they don't balance around pvp at all. if this is a group focused game with open pvp servers as an option, as it should be, there should be no reason to balance for pvp.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    I bet all we end up with is EQ Fall.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Sandboxes don't have end game. FULL STOP.

This is why EQ is a themepark and no doubt EQ will be too.

The existence of endgame is probably the defining characteristic of a themepark.

I can think of one themepark that does not have endgame - planetside. Although more accurately that is all endgame.

There has never ever been, nor will there ever be a sandbox that has 2 parts to it a levelling game followed by and endgame. The concept of 2 different phases of gameplay flies directly against what is a sandbox.

We're changing what AI is in these games to a degree that we're going to bring life to the world. That to us is the essence of the change that we're making.

We're not talking about the end of raids, the end of this incredibly high-level content. We're talking about changing the nature of the world around it so that there's a lot more to do "in between" expansions. A good example, but a very narrow example, is battlegrounds in WoW or EQII, where players get bored doing it over and over again. But imagine the entire world as part of the interaction.

i read world pvp and world raiding here. I have this feeling that well be needing to protect our lands from all the menaces that eq has dreamed up over the last 13 years. player or mob.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by rungard

We're changing what AI is in these games to a degree that we're going to bring life to the world. That to us is the essence of the change that we're making.

We're not talking about the end of raids, the end of this incredibly high-level content. We're talking about changing the nature of the world around it so that there's a lot more to do "in between" expansions. A good example, but a very narrow example, is battlegrounds in WoW or EQII, where players get bored doing it over and over again. But imagine the entire world as part of the interaction.

i read world pvp and world raiding here. I have this feeling that well be needing to protect our lands from all the menaces that eq has dreamed up over the last 13 years. player or mob.

It's possible EQN will feature world type PvP but I can't see it being FFA, who knows.  Maybe you take missions from your faction and while on that mission opposing faction members, on their own mission, are attackable.  With the different sects that EQ has this vould be very fun and the type of PvP I would like.

Edit: Your faction may send you to find a relic from a specific location while an enemy faction member is being sent there as well.  Players would then race to find it and fight over the object if need be.  NPCs may or may not be involved depending n the situation.  If they varied locations and situations somewhat this would be excellent integrated PvP. 

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598
    You are jumping to conclusions about the pvp.When he said the entire world is part of the interaction this does not mean pvp, it means dynamic content. Sandbox does not mean pvp, it means that you can change the environment.  Expect any EQ title to be pve focused and this whole world interaction to mean that the players will impact which and how many mobs are around, the terrain, the ability to build housing and commercial buildings, and bestiary populations to grow and shrink based on player population activities, etc.
    Originally posted by Ozivois
    You are jumping to conclusions about the pvp.When he said the entire world is part of the interaction this does not mean pvp, it means dynamic content. Sandbox does not mean pvp, it means that you can change the environment.  Expect any EQ title to be pve focused and this whole world interaction to mean that the players will impact which and how many mobs are around, the terrain, the ability to build housing and commercial buildings, and bestiary populations to grow and shrink based on player population activities, etc.

We shall see.

• BaratukBaratuk Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by Baratuk

I'm so excited about a sandboxy version of norrath. Just hope they can pull it off. Also, I wonder if we'll finnally get some high seas adventure this time. I know they promised it with eq2 and never delivered. 

Also, I hope they go back to the style of eq1 as in, no guides. I used to love having to travel and find stuff out for yourself. Not knowing if you should go through that zone for fear of dieing and not being able to get your body.

Who here that played eq1 didnt love the fact that if you went into kithicor forrest at night you were pretty much going to get ganked by the undead denziens. I love that type of stuff. Also the fact that it took hours to go from freeport to qeynos. As a rogue I remember being level 10 or so and sneaking from freeport to qeynos. It felt like a very epic journey by the end. I miss those days.

Don't forget features like lightstones or not being able to see shit on the darkside of Luclin unless you had a see in the dark slill or buff.

Imagine players in GW2 going into an zone and their screen being totally black, the crying would be heard across the interwebs.

Yea, I miss the days where different races actually had different vision at night. Talk about immersion into a game. I loved my human in eq1 but couldnt see anything. I leveled him up and then one day made a dark elf and was blown away that I wasnt running blind into giants or the dreaded griffon in east commonlands lol.

• pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

Between the hype of the fanbois (myself included) and this projected disappointment of the haters, the reality will be found.

i often feel like the original eq, before all the raiding has an excellent meta game if you looked past the levels and phat l33t. Things made sense from gameplay perspectives..i.e halflings could sneak..but couldnt bash like the big races..Humans couldnt see well at night, where the elves could see fine. Only gnomes could tinker. You had to be careful what you killed because it would make you friends and enemies, the god you chose affected how hard your life would start out.  

nobody remembers this stuff but it was gold way back then. It wasnt the level grinding, phat l33t or mega raids that make eq king back in the day.

Originally posted by pvpirl

Between the hype of the fanbois (myself included) and this projected disappointment of the haters, the reality will be found.

i am choosing to hype and fanboi, until the data suggests otherwise! imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Believe it or not I was amazed in a dynamic event in GW2 when a camp being attacked by centaurs was on fire and the smoke made it nearly impossible to see. A group of 5 centaurs  charged out of the smoke and killed me. Was pretty intense, and harkened back to those days or visual effects to a degree.

that being said. Still and excited over the posssibilities that could come with EQNEXT 

• pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

Now, I never played SWG, what was it about that game, from those that played it, that made it such a good game? such a good sandbox? What elements would you like to see in EQN?

What would you guys want, slow or fast combat.

Slow like EQ1 (not the spell book medding though, but the way it is now, with OOC regen)

Fast like action games like Vindictus

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    How about something in between. Fast paced combat is great. However some downtime actually leads to people talking and making friends. Something that seems to be lacking in a lot of the faster paced MMOs that are coming out.

heres is what i would like:

I would like FPS combat if they have integrated voice chat ( which they do). If that cant happen i think a semi action combat with positioning  and active abilities on your stamina bar like dodge, block, sprint and jump would be nice.

i would also like them to to have stamina, mana and health as they traditionally had, but i would like stamina to act as a catchall for health and mana. You run out of health, your stamina "might" keep you going for an extra hit, you run out of mana your stamina "might" be able to get you another last ditch spell.  you might get one spell or one hit but that would be about it.

im ok with ooc regen but i would like to see boss mobs dish out some crippling injuries on players that cant be as easily healed away.

• MystaisMystais Member Posts: 72

My question, and not sure if this has been covered, is whether the game play is linear or not?  With all the talk, it really comes down to this, imho:

Does it have a specific beginning and end, with raiding as endgame (themepark) or do you just get let loose upon the world to do so as you please (sandbox)?

Do you start out doing low lev quests in one area and then move on to the next area for higher lev content, etc until the content runs out and then you optionally  play endgame until you tire of it and move on (themepark) or do you do whatever you want, where you want (sandbox)?

My opinionated ramble...

Basic flaw of themeparks is their linear gameplay resulting in a built-in ending with developers trying to extend that line faster than the players consume it.  

Considering the themeparks in the last few years it seems developers have given up on trying to out create the players but has instead just factored in over-hype and lofty promises to promote high initial sales and then a free-to-play strategy to wring out what little they can.  Games developed to last years are a thing of the past. 

Tabletop RPG gaming since Chainmail and D&D was a blue book with some cheap plastic dice and a crayon. MMORPGing since MOOS/MUDS, when forums were just bulletin boards and players actually roleplayed their characters.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Exactly, you can't have progression pve in a sandbox, its the opposite of sandbox.
    EQ was a themepark
    EQ2 was a themepark
    EQ fans love progression pve.

Therefore EQN will have progression pve and will be a themepark. Although it may have some sandbox elements around crafting / housing / farming / Terra forming etc.. the very act of having the Linearality of a progression pve endgame (well endgame full stop) will make it not a sandbox.
    Originally posted by Mystais

My question, and not sure if this has been covered, is whether the game play is linear or not?  With all the talk, it really comes down to this, imho:

Does it have a specific beginning and end, with raiding as endgame (themepark) or do you just get let loose upon the world to do so as you please (sandbox)?

Do you start out doing low lev quests in one area and then move on to the next area for higher lev content, etc until the content runs out and then you optionally  play endgame until you tire of it and move on (themepark) or do you do whatever you want, where you want (sandbox)?

My opinionated ramble...

Basic flaw of themeparks is their linear gameplay resulting in a built-in ending with developers trying to extend that line faster than the players consume it.  

Considering the themeparks in the last few years it seems developers have given up on trying to out create the players but has instead just factored in over-hype and lofty promises to promote high initial sales and then a free-to-play strategy to wring out what little they can.  Games developed to last years are a thing of the past. 

they said they want the game to last 15 years so hopefully they are smart enough to know that they need to do something else other than "level" and "endgame raiding". i.e the same old same old.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Exactly, you can't have progression pve in a sandbox, its the opposite of sandbox.
    EQ was a themepark
    EQ2 was a themepark

Therefore EQN will have progression pve and will be a themepark. Although it may have some sandbox elements around crafting / housing / farming / Terra forming etc.. the very act of having the Linearality of a progression pve endgame (well endgame full stop) will make it not a sandbox.

You missed the part about how they want to do something totally different. Why release ANOTHER game like EQ1 and 2? It would just take away from their other games. 

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    EQ was a themepark
    EQ2 was a themepark

i wouldnt write if off just yet.

This discussion has been closed.