Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Turbine Layoffs Confirmed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Warner Bros. Entertainment Group has confirmed that Turbine employees have been laid off as part of a 'restructuring move. The company cited fluctuating market conditions as the causative factor in the layoffs.

“As part of the continual review of our business operations and fluctuating market conditions, we have had to make reductions in our Turbine workforce,” said Remi Sklar, spokeswoman for Warner Bros. Entertainment Group, in an e-mail. “The group continues to remain an integral part of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.”

Source: Boston.com

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970
    Guess RoR didn't sell that well? Have seen next to really nothing about it since it was released. 
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Looks like F2P conversions are time buyers and not the sweet saviour that many folks had dreamed. Ah well, it will be intriguing to see how everything unfolds.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

I've got a Lifetime sub and quit the game when it went F2P glad to see the Lay-offs.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401

As a human being, it's a shame to see such thing and hope these folks find work elsewhere in a hurry. On a gaming perspective, it's a bit dissappointing, being a lifetime subscriber whom has already mostly given up on the game. I thought for sure with having to go FTP that they would up the speed on getting to mordor, maybe get some attention of past players back. They certainly are finding a way to inch their way to Mordor and in my opinion this can only hurt that progress. A pity, I was really looking forward to Mordor and the game just feels dated.  Rohan is the first expansion I haven't bothered with.

We should have been at the gates of Mordor long ago.....keep trying to pinch every penny you can out of this Turbine/Warner..just sad

• BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142
    Hope this does not end up being bad news for the AC community!!
  • XerithXerith Member Posts: 970
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

I've got a Lifetime sub and quit the game when it went F2P glad to see the Lay-offs.

Because people losing their jobs is cool right?

Originally posted by Xerith

Bad Management Decisons lead to folks getting laid off blame them.

MAGA
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Blackrayn
    Hope this does not end up being bad news for the AC community!!

AC still has a community? Huh.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

/sigh  It is always very sad to see people losing their jobs!  But they had it coming.

This is what you get when you keep delivering less and less and ask more and more from your customers.

LOTRO:

Rise of Isengard expansion was a farce, nothing but a questpack but charging full expansion price for it. Instance cluster was terrible and not released until december, more than 2 months after the expac release.

Riders of Rohan expansion even more a farce. Just a questpack but charging even more than last year with RoI !  No news yet about Instance Cluster nor what it will bring nor when it will be released.

The biggest joke, was that they first tried to charge EXTRA for the upcoming instance cluster! It took a whole outrage on both LOTRO forums and public forums, before Turbine decided to include the Instance cluster within the expac again and adding TP to the bundles like they did last year with RoI ! /Facepalm

They lost a lot of fans with that stunt alone already! And directly affected the poor sales of this expansion and hence the lay offs!

Mounted combat is hit or miss with most people!  Not to mention the whole lootbox crap with keys from Warbands!

People say a lot about Cryptic and their lootbox lottery in STO!  LOTRO is now full of it as well!

Then lets move on to the LOTRO Store, which was suppose to be convenience items that has slowly via stealth additions turned into a FULL Pay 2 Win Store! 

First came the stackable health/mana pots!  Then came all the crap with Monster Play stuff!  Then came the relics and scrolls!

And now the most disgusting addition is that people can buy scrolls to insta max out ENTIRE crafting tiers! Yes you read it right, you can now just throw money at Turbine and insta max out your crafting profession!

So what is next?  Insta leveling scrolls? I wouldn't be suprised.

LOTRO used to be a very good game, but the more and longer Turbine has been under Warner Bros reign, the more nickle and diming the game has become.

I was part of a huge guild with serious die hard Tolkien fans that have been around since launch, but ever since the F2P and the move to more and more Pay 2 Win with the Store.... more and more people in my kinship got fed up with Turbine and quit. Only a tiny fraction of the people remain.

Turbine has become a terrible and greedy company, making both EA and Cryptic look like Saints.

Originally posted by JeroKane

/sigh  It is always very sad to see people losing their jobs!  But they had it coming.

This is what you get when you keep delivering less and less and ask more and more from your customers.

LOTRO:

Rise of Isengard expansion was a farce, nothing but a questpack but charging full expansion price for it. Instance cluster was terrible and not released until december, more than 2 months after the expac release.

Riders of Rohan expansion even more a farce. Just a questpack but charging even more than last year with RoI !  No news yet about Instance Cluster nor what it will bring nor when it will be released.

The biggest joke, was that they first tried to charge EXTRA for the upcoming instance cluster! It took a whole outrage on both LOTRO forums and public forums, before Turbine decided to include the Instance cluster within the expac again and adding TP to the bundles like they did last year with RoI ! /Facepalm

They lost a lot of fans with that stunt alone already! And directly affected the poor sales of this expansion and hence the lay offs!

Mounted combat is hit or miss with most people!  Not to mention the whole lootbox crap with keys from Warbands!

People say a lot about Cryptic and their lootbox lottery in STO!  LOTRO is now full of it as well!

Then lets move on to the LOTRO Store, which was suppose to be convenience items that has slowly via stealth additions turned into a FULL Pay 2 Win Store! 

First came the stackable health/mana pots!  Then came all the crap with Monster Play stuff!  Then came the relics and scrolls!

And now the most disgusting addition is that people can buy scrolls to insta max out ENTIRE crafting tiers! Yes you read it right, you can now just throw money at Turbine and insta max out your crafting profession!

So what is next?  Insta leveling scrolls? I wouldn't be suprised.

LOTRO used to be a very good game, but the more and longer Turbine has been under Warner Bros reign, the more nickle and diming the game has become.

I was part of a huge guild with serious die hard Tolkien fans that have been around since launch, but ever since the F2P and the move to more and more Pay 2 Win with the Store.... more and more people in my kinship got fed up with Turbine and quit. Only a tiny fraction of the people remain.

Turbine has become a terrible and greedy company, making both EA and Cryptic look like Saints.

Funcom and CCP will not be far behind.

MAGA
  • dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    This is actually a real shame for me as I thought LOTRO was doing well. Maybe these layoffs don't mean doom and gloom for the company and the game and if they do, nothing lasts forever.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

This may be more of a restructuring and taking Turbine in a new direction , as they made some key hires just days previous to lead there development.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/109839-turbine-expands-leadership-team-ken-rolston-joins-as-director-of-design.html

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

They stopped bragging about their F2P numbers a long time ago.

It's sad that people are losing their jobs, but LOTRO has been going down this path for a long time.  I think Turbine, and now WB, totally mismanage this product.  But WB isn't one for taking risks so it's to be expected.

I still see them releasing quest packs every year and most liklely abandoning instance clusters altogether.  They might even put out some more skirmishes.

The problem is that they've been focused on milking the property rather than giving the players what they want.  This means we likely will never catch a glimpse of Mordor. 

This would have been a better release plan:

1) Vanilla - ignore Angmar/Forochel.  Include Moria and Lothlorien and parts of mirkwood.  Also let people start in Lothlorien, Edoras or Minas tirith and then get sent to the west of the Misty Mountains

2) Expansion #1 - released 2 years after vanilla - Rohan/Isengard

3) Expansion #2 - Released 4 years after vanilla - Gondor and Gates of mordor

4) Expansion #3 - Released 6 years after vanilla - Mordor expansion

Turbine has some horrible lead designers and art directors (everything indoors is a muddy brown/black/gray).  I bet they kept their jobs though.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

It's sad that people are losing their jobs, but LOTRO has been going down this path for a long time.  I think Turbine, and now WB, totally mismanage this product.  But WB isn't one for taking risks so it's to be expected.

I'm just extremely sad WB owns the right for the LOTR title mmo, unless they sell it. Now we will never see a well rounded LOTR mmo,shame.

What goes around comes around....turbine, peace and cha cha.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

People lose their jobs because they make poor descisions.

You make me like charity

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Also, I really hope Sapience was one of the employees to get canned.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by asmkm22

Can't agree with this more.  He's really not a people person at all.  He uses the Derek Smart interpersonal skill system

• starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230

People lose their jobs because they make poor descisions.

yeah like accusing my friend of buying 3000$ worth of gold lol. Im really glad about this 5 years to late but maybe something good will happen now doubt it but least the toilet will be flushed for once

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Mismanagement is a severe understatement!

They have been pissing on their loyal fanbase / VIP subscribers for too long now. To the point why I even wonder why they still bother with the whole VIP sub system.

Especially if you have been around since launch and bought every expac, there is now ZERO reason to stay VIP and pay 13 bucks a month!

500 TP a month? You can get 6300 TP for 60 bucks lol. That's a fraction of what you would pay to stay VIP a whole year!

All Epic book content and (new) features are available to free players! So you basically only pay for questpacks!

That's why the last two expansions have been such a farce and ridiculously overpriced!

50 bucks for the standard bundle to unlock Rohan quests lol! Just lol!  And the instance cluster we still know nothing about! Not to mention that they first even tried to have us pay for that ON TOP of the expansion this time! /Facepalm

Just like the EA take over was the end of Bioware, so has been the take over by WB the end for Turbine. /sigh

These lay offs are just the beginning and they make no mention yet as to how many people have been laid off.

It's obvious that both the DDO and LOTRO teams have been axed heavily! Which is gonna effect both these game's future! As both DDO's first and last expansion as LOTRO last expansion didn't meet sales expectations.

WB is just gonna put these games into maintenance mode, milk it a little longer and reshift their entire focus to the Console market! As it's a more lucrative market at the moment.

The recent hirings pretty much confirm this new direction.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I really like LotRO, so it's a sad news, and I wish good luck to the people involved in the layoff.

I'm also sad because as much as I love LotRO, I have to admit this line of starwarsnut

Originally posted by starwarsnut

Exploits turbine has repeatedly tryed to cover them up and when they do admit it they dont ban the people doing it even for a day lol.

is true... :I  They simply overlook exploits, without any reaction, which never is a good sign. (What can you expect from a company which does nothing against exploiters?)

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    I haven't paid attention to the expac sales either but them raising the prices of the expac and keeping the horribly outdated Freemium model designed for one sole purpose, to force people to subscribe, didn't help matters I'm sure. The game needed an overhaul and increasing the price of the expacs while denying people who pre-ordered (initially) access to the dungeons and then trying to change that with a sneak update to the website prolly didn't help matters either. The freemium thing i think won't allow most companies to last long in this economic climate because people simply can't sustain a monthly sub for a game like they could in the past.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Looks like F2P conversions are time buyers and not the sweet saviour that many folks had dreamed. Ah well, it will be intriguing to see how everything unfolds.

Yeah, seems that's the case.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

GOD DAMNIT!

Clover got fired, but i sapiance stays? Then again, turbine likes to dig its grave again and again. Playerbase says one thing but turbine does another, good job.

p.s - who knows maybe sapiance was one of those who got fired, pray for this peeps.

Originally posted by xalvi

GOD DAMNIT!

Clover got fired, but i sapiance stays? Then again, turbine likes to dig its grave again and again. Playerbase says one thing but turbine does another, good job.

p.s - who knows maybe sapiance was one of those who got fired, pray for this peeps.

His last post was yesterday. So who knows.

Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by xalvi

GOD DAMNIT!

His last post was yesterday. So who knows.

It shows how bad a community manager is when everyone is talking about how he should be the one fired.