Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The game's receiving great previews..

Comments

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

and it'll be the wowkiller

and it'll have EVERYTHING at launch

and it'll take your trash out for you

and it'll make people be your friend so you're not lonely anymore

and it won't suck and cause devs to delete posts pointing that out on the official forums and nobody will get banned from this site for "infractions" when the flame wars inevitably hit

/sarcasam off

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Ouriel

Don't raise your expectations or you'll be disappointed. :)
    Just a tip.

That's right, expect only misery and predict only doom.

Wait...what kind of life is that?

That cost of this 'guarding myself against disappointment' by equipping my "+10 armor of bitterness"....just sounds too high.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Various game press sites are gushing praise all over the place after playing for a few hours.

Haven't we seen this type of behavior before?

Sure, but, we have learnt quite a lot about the game at such an early stage. Open world sieges, dungeons, combat system, quest system etc. Sure it's all subject to change but before this batch of previews I really didn't think they would make a real MMO out of Elder Scrolls. Not to mention a lot of the people who got to play all played Elder Scrolls and they agree if feels like Elder Scrolls

Just take the "Open world sieges" feature. Time will tell if that will work with some real load on the servers. How many preview testers have been allowed to test the "prototype" yet? ;-)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    More importantly, how the hell will multiple sharding on a mega server work with the siege.

Loosing on your shard, no problem switch to a shard where you're winning.
    Loosing on all shards, no problem switch to your alt in another alliance and enjoy the farm.
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Like a lot of poeple already said, TOR has given the community reason to take any review with a grain of salt. I would include GW2 in that as well. The reviewers work for companies that need revenue from gaming companies, so this comes as no surprise that every MMO preview is positive. Also, reviewers typically only play for a couple of hours, if even that. MMOs are about longevity so the reviewers would have a distorted view even if they were being completely objective.
  • dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Looks like this could be THE mmorpg everyone is waiting for

They were saying the same about TOR :P

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Originally posted by SuperDonk
    Like a lot of poeple already said, TOR has given the community reason to take any review with a grain of salt. I would include GW2 in that as well. The reviewers work for companies that need revenue from gaming companies, so this comes as no surprise that every MMO preview is positive. Also, reviewers typically only play for a couple of hours, if even that. MMOs are about longevity so the reviewers would have a distorted view even if they were being completely objective.

Actually there were  a variety of people there, including leaders of the biggest clans in MMOs. Positive feedback so far, no fake TOR paid-for previews here.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Actually there were  a variety of people there, including leaders of the biggest clans in MMOs. Positive feedback so far, no fake TOR paid-for previews here.

So self important fans who got a free invite and are desperate not to screw up their chance of another are somehow trustworthy.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Oh good, I'm glad people are finding the next mmo to hype so we can start the hype/disappointment cycle again. Seriously, does it stop?
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

The second part of my post might still apply though. I'm pretty sure TOR had very positive player previews too, but they didn't address the longevity question. After a few hours of SWTOR I also thought it could be one of the best MMOs ever, but I had not got to end game yet nor did I forsee Bioware's game breaking bugs, exploits, and head-scratching nerfs.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Its already well known that media outlets are liars, yes even the correspondants at MMORPG. You think they would write a negative review on anygame they were given the privledge to come in and preview? 

THe answer is no, not unless they never wanted to be invited back.

I take all these previews and articles for a grain of salt, show me a video, lable it as being only alpha and ill see if i buy what your selling for myself. Save your written previews.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

As soon as they mentioned megaservers would have instanced zones and phasing, it pretty much killed any chance I would enjoy this game. A TES game should have at least SOME degree of persistence. Instancing and phasing are the easy (and cheap) ways out.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    What game?  Isn't this just a themepark game in alpha or pre-alpha development?

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Try something:

Find me a bad preview from a major games outled for any AAA MMO in the past 7 years.

I dare you.

I double dare you-----

Even Tabula Rasa and APB got favorable previews.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Ouriel

Don't raise your expectations or you'll be disappointed. :)
    Just a tip.

Exactly.

However, that little tidbit of wisdom usually falls on deaf ears on these forums

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by AdamTM

Try something:

Find me a bad preview from a major games outled for any AAA MMO in the past 7 years.

I dare you.

I double dare you-----

Yeah, no offense to game journalists, but previews mean even less than reviews.  A whole lot less.  The most awesome games ever are always the ones that aren't out, yet.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

it sounds pretty cool but until we learn more about end game and what will keep players playing this game for longer than a month or two, i don't see it lasting any longer than SWTOR or GW2

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Try something:

I dare you.

I double dare you-----

Yeah, no offense to game journalists, but previews mean even less than reviews.  A whole lot less.  The most awesome games ever are always the ones that aren't out, yet.

You still call the writers that work in the game's industry 'journalists'?

I see them more as simple mouth monkies saying what they are told to say. I mean, I guess, technically, you COULD call them journalists, but it's been a long time I trusted any of them to do more then copy/ paste corperate views.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Looks like this could be THE mmorpg everyone is waiting for

the one to rule em all !

sarcasm aside,

I welcome more mmos but i think TESO wont go beyond flavor of the month before being forgotten w the rest of the themepark mmos

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Try something:

I dare you.

I double dare you-----

I see them more as simple mouth monkies saying what they are told to say. I mean, I guess, technically, you COULD call them journalists, but it's been a long time I trusted any of them to do more then copy/ paste corperate views.

Even among so called "hobbist" media, the computer game/MMO "journaists" are among the worst.

Even for other specialty hobby type sites/publications, be it for cars, cooking, hunting, whatever... there are plenty of unfavorable reviews of products that "don't cut it". And that includes products made by major companies in there.

But not for the so called gaming press.

"See no Evil" is the policy and it can be seen everywhere.

Seems like I recall the people that run this site were complaining not long ago that their revenues were down and were blaming people for using Adblockers. (Which they probably are).

Well, I would say that at least part of the problem is that when reviews and previews and all that other stuff loses all objectivity, it also loses credibility.

And a so-called news site with no credibility or objectivity in its "coverage" is worthless.

So people stop coming.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Previews are mostly a marketing tool for sure.The company shows very controlled and limited parts odf their game and/or gives information on itnedned features with no mention or in game example of how this is implemented all to build hype.

This often backfires as gamers let thier imagination run wild and then turn bitter and angry when the actuality of a game doesn't amtch their imaginations.Then we get to hear all about it here 8P.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Not that I disagree, its just the I didn't want to go there.  Some of them seem like decent people, and I have no idea what goes on at their end, to make them behave that way.  So unanimously.. guess I just figure there has to be more to their story than we know.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by aktalat
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon Looks like this could be THE mmorpg everyone is waiting for
    This game looks like the most horrible game ever created.

What advertising school drop-outs came up with this thing?

We need to make a list of the developers and ban them from ever working anywhere ever again.

The End.

0/10

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Great previews and yet the public hasn't seen any gameplay ? Sounds like a lot of hype and we all should know better by now what hype does to a mmo.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Sounds pretty good to me so far.. I was looking forward to the game anyway though. 

Some will bash anything if it doesnt comform to what their ideals are and its shameful.