Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: This Momentous Occasion

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm
    Originally posted by Skuall
    summoner? ......... :3 for sure im going to give it a try

SE said they will let ppl change race ect for existing customers hope it still on the planlist

Should be noted that Summoner won't be present the day ARR launches (Arcanist will however, which is another class that possess a summon) but will be release shortly after. This was mentionned by Yoshi-P in the Live Letter.

He also made mention of the Ninja and Samurai, although I'm not sure if it's just ideas floating around or classes they're actually planning to make.

Oh well ,arcanist still has pets to play with (want to see how SE add a Pet job) .

Awesome ,Nin and Sam! my fav jobs on FFXI :3 , praying for no ninja tools lol

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by dimmit77
    I stopped reading at : "A Realm Reborn will feature a PC version and a PS3 version ... "

FFXI supported PC, Playstation 2 and Xbox 360 ... I don't see what the big deal is.

mmorpg.com is infested with PC supremacists, even ones that don't know their mmo history.

• FauxbulousFauxbulous Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Silok
    Originally posted by Vannor
    If anyone wants to try this, buy the original FFXIV now (it's dirt cheap at the moment; £3, $5) and save it until reborn launches. Price will surely go up after.

You cant create new account since september 27 or 28 so dont tell people to buy something they cant use.

Yeah, you won't be able to buy it anyway. More than a month ago SE sent out instructions that FFXIV cannot be sold any longer and that they will buy back all copies of the game from vends. 

However, if you had created an account at any time during the first version, you don't need to buy ARR and create another one unless you're planning on playing the PS3 version. Even people with FFXIV Collectors Editions will get a new ARR version of it. 

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

As a long time FF fan and huge FFXI fanboy I am very excited to see ARR coming to pass finally.

Not much longer now!

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    impressive. It takes some balls to admit the game had problems and go revamp it. I wish that would happen to TOR as well.
  • HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388

I cant wait to play this. I will stop whatever game im playing, take 1 week vacation and play the game when it will be live and loud!

• TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by skydiver12
    Originally posted by Tenkousei

If the game offers a compelling PVE experience with TERA-like combat i'm sold.

I'll probably watch the game for a bit before i decide on a final purchase, but from what i've read it seems interesting. Admittedly i've never played FFXIV, so i don't have the bias some of the vets have.

Don't call "vets" bias if you can't even tell what combat system FFXIV used and ARR will use. 

It's your default mmo Tab Target, nothing "like" Tera. (And no, tab target isn't bad)

In fact it was as much Final Fantasy as it could get, select a target use an attack or a strong special. People demanded AutoAttack and so it moved away from FF combat and more to your General Themepark.

I apologize for the poor choice of words. What i meant was that i have no idea of how version 1.0 played, so i won't be able to judge whether the evolution to 2.0 would be a positive or a negative one. It wasn't my intention to use "vets bias" in a pejorative sense.

I'll be experiencing the game as a newbie and i'm fully aware of that.

• Twilight33Twilight33 Member UncommonPosts: 37
    will be giving this a try when it releases. if the game ends up being a succes this will be a massive event in gaming and enix history. no company has ever attempted to do this with a game before on this level. i am not sure anyone else but enix and the other few power house game companys could even attempt something like this though.

• KeithDragoonKeithDragoon Member Posts: 21

Well done on the article, I also wanted to add not only is the game being redone but they also worked into their schedule countless live events that tied directly into the 7th umbral era/ARR. I mean it all started with a random GMs role-playing a guy claiming to know of an ill-fated future. Soon after we began to get invaded by the enemy forces lead by 3 more role-playing GMs playing the role of the big baddie of the story and his 2 underlings, interacting with player in multiple languages at random times per day everyday.

This trend continued with news reporters taking eyewitness reports from players and then turning these into news reports on the lodestone and more. Now we have a countdown timer on our launcher counting the hours/minutes/seconds until doomsday and the day the servers go down for the remake.

I honestly cannot remember any game failure or not that put so much work into repairing what was broken while still fighting to make the game enjoyable for those who stuck it out through all the bad.

ARR should be on everyone's to-do list when it finally launches, be apart of something big and hopefully great while giving FFXIV the second chance it deserves whether its 2 years too late or not.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    I'm willign to treat this as a new release and will judge it after being able to try it and amke my own mind up like every other MMORPG newly released.But I will want to try it with a free trial or beta access before laying money down.
  • alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156

It's good they made an effort, but i don't see what everyone's so excited about...

Tab-target combat, quest spam progression, some endgame. 

They even downgraded the graphics for ARR.

The only good thing is the lore/game setting. Oh and of course the crafting/armory system which was present since launch day.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I was on of the people who bought the collector's edition when the game was first released.

I've been playing off and on ever since release (I have Legacy status). However, reading what a big fan Yoshi-P was  of WoW was basically the nail in the coffin for this game for me. Having spent many years in games like WoW, LotRO, EQ2, etc., I have zero desire to play yet another quest-grind. It's what led me to cancelling my TSW subscription, even though I love the setting and miscellaneous features.

I think the original FFXIV had a solid core that was crippled by a lack of development time. Levequests could have been a gamechanger if they had been implemented correctly, instead of the souless system we were given that is as much of a copy and paste job as the zones themselves.

The market system is the same way. It could have been a unique and enjoyable system. Imagine if instead of the current market ward system, they had implemented a fully robust store system that implemented the strengths of an AH with the personalization that FFXIV's market system initially proposed.

I would have loved to have played the game described in the FFXIV developer diary that shipped with the collector's edition. As it stands, what we're going to playing instead is a bastardized version of FFXI that has all of the hallmarks of EQ/WoW-style gameplay without the polish of these games that have been out for for 7+ years.

<3

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Glad I'm a legacy player.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

So the original FFXIV really was one long extended beta.

I hope they really do pull of a major remake and not just rehashed version of the original turd. I tried FFXIV out in the early days post release and I disliked 80-90% of the game, depending on how much stock you put in the environmental visuals because that was about all I liked about it. I am 99.9% certain 2.0 won't appeal to me either.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

This articles raises awareness about the game which is good.

v2.0 (ARR) is completely new game compared to "v1.0"

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Smoey

Glad I'm a legacy player.

I made the 90 by 8 days lol.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Well, as a fan of the FF series I am excited and more than willing to treat this as a new and separate release. However, I am going to wait for a free trial version, because I am also very cautious when it comes to SE's most recent track record.

I really hope they pull this off.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Can't wait.

Does anyone know the release date on this one?

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

When people say the UI was horrid, they mostly refer to the usability with mouse and keyboard. Yoshi talks about button colors and window boarders when he revers to UI and changes. While it was still a topic (ui customisation) usability is also one, one which he never replies to.

He's given a number of demonstrations of how the UI works, though, in the live demos. There's videos of it on YT that you can watch. It functions very much like your familiar modern MMO with drag-and-drop functionality, customizable layout, etc. The demonstration illustrates it far more than any explanation could.

It's not really encouraging either if you ask about the landscape reconstruction and if movement is more like in a real world instead of copy & pasted zones and all you get is an anwer about it's not copy & pasted that much anymore. Always only the half. 

Have you seen the in-game footage and/or screenshots? The area they've shown the most of, N. Black Shroud, looks nothing like the current game. I wouldn't have recognized it, at all, if it wasn't pointed out as being that area, and being from Gridania,  I've spent many hours wandering the labrynthine corridors of that area. There are maps they've released of certain areas of each region and they are completely different. Each region is now broken down into several sub-regions,  of varying size, each featuring a different landmark or geography, while still being appropriate to that overall region.

The area I'm still wary of is how the gameplay has changed. They haven't really given any explanation or demonstration of this, and the hour is growing late. I'm concerned for a repeat of the Alpha/Beta of 1.0 where Tanaka promised what we were seeing was limited due to testing and that the full game would be so much more, only it wasn't. It was just more of what we'd already seen and done in the testing.

So, in terms of graphics, zone revamps, new engine tech, new server tech, and so forth, I have no question about that. It all looks great.

What I still feel hasn't been adquately touched on, beyond some general statements, is the gameplay - the glue that's going to tie all those things together into a cohesive and enjoyable whole.

Finally, as a quick correction for the article, the object heading for the world is not a moon, (it's a space station!... sorry, couldn't resist), it's a so-called meteor called Dalamud that's been called down by the Garleans in an attempt to "cleanse the world". We've gotten to see it grow from a tiny red speck in the sky, to its current form as a massive red, spiked sphere breaking through the world's atmosphere. Here's a great collage showing it in each stage..

• VydarrVydarr Member Posts: 3
    Wow.  Great article.  Well written, and from someone who's knowledgeable about the game's upcoming structure.  I appreciate the work.
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

When people say the UI was horrid, they mostly refer to the usability with mouse and keyboard. Yoshi talks about button colors and window boarders when he revers to UI and changes. While it was still a topic (ui customisation) usability is also one, one which he never replies to.

He's given a number of demonstrations of how the UI works, though, in the live demos. There's videos of it on YT that you can watch. It functions very much like your familiar modern MMO with drag-and-drop functionality, customizable layout, etc. The demonstration illustrates it far more than any explanation could.

It's not really encouraging either if you ask about the landscape reconstruction and if movement is more like in a real world instead of copy & pasted zones and all you get is an anwer about it's not copy & pasted that much anymore. Always only the half. 

Have you seen the in-game footage and/or screenshots? The area they've shown the most of, N. Black Shroud, looks nothing like the current game. There are maps they've released of certain areas of each region and they are completely different. Each region is now broken down into several sub-regions,  of varying size, each featuring a different landmark or geography, while still being appropriate to that overall region.

The area I'm still wary of is how the gameplay has changed. They haven't really given any explanation or demonstration of this, and the hour is growing late. I'm concerned for a repeat of the Alpha/Beta of 1.0 where Tanaka promised what we were seeing was limited due to testing and that the full game would be so much more, only it wasn't. It was just more of what we'd already seen and done in the testing.

So, in terms of graphics, zone revamps, new engine tech, new server tech, and so forth, I have no question about that. It all looks great.

What I still feel hasn't been adquately touched on, beyond some general statements, is the gameplay - the glue that's going to tie all those things together into a cohesive and enjoyable whole.

They haven't shown crafting, but they've talked about how they're changing it. So players that don't really want to get into crafting other than to be self-sufficiant will be able to craft items but that are not at their best quality compared to a dedicated crafter that puts more effort into it. (Basically they're going to have an option to make crafting automatic for players that don't want to deal with the mini-game like stage, success won't be guaranteed).

As far as combat goes, they've shown a bit of combat in their Live Letter, as well as other conferences they had (like gamescom). Your TP points will regenerate like Mana does, so you'll be able to use skills at the beginning of an encounter rather than having to charge it up gradually with normal attacks. This will make combat a bit more fast-paced, but I don't think combat will change much outside of that. Movement will be the same (with jumping added). Classes will be undergoing a lot of changes skill-wise (especially Pugilist/Monk) so they'll play fairly differently, although in what way remains to be seen. We know that Pugilist will be based more on Combos, Arcanist on DoT and Summoner on Debuffs (I might have mixed the last 2, I'm not sure).

Beyond that I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for when you're talking about Gameplay. Most has been covered already through Live Letters and whatnot.

• VydarrVydarr Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Ryukan

So the original FFXIV really was one long extended beta.

I hope they really do pull of a major remake and not just rehashed version of the original turd. I tried FFXIV out in the early days post release and I disliked 80-90% of the game, depending on how much stock you put in the environmental visuals because that was about all I liked about it. I am 99.9% certain 2.0 won't appeal to me either.

If you're sure you won't like it, I probably won't be able to convince you otherwise.  However, it's worth mentioning that the game is very, very different now.  Version 1.0 has undergone massive changes -- everything from UI responsiveness to class roles to changing the focus of gameplay  to simply having more things to do -- and there will be even more changes when the game switches over to ARR.  I can't promise you'll like the game, but as the article said, 1.0 and ARR are basically completely different games. 

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

I'm keeping my eye on this one. I've not seen another game company or dev be so candid in regard to thier performance or their intent to correct it .

Yoshi-P has spent more than a year regualrly apprising players of what's going on, why and what's important  to work on next.

He's taken and acted on feedback from players and when something needed to get changed that wasn't popular he does it without waffling.

You can't ask for more than that.

I'm just hopeful that the game manages to be a hit in Japan as well as that's where it needs to hit it big.

My only concern is the monetization given current competition.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

I look at it like this.  If Square was able to make FFXI, why would you doubt that they would be able to re-build FFXIV and make it a much better game?  I played the beta of FFXIV and was REALLY DISSAPOINTED...the game was TERRIBLE...worst MMO I ever played.  

WIth that, Im very much so anticipating FFXIV.  I think Square is a bit "butt-hurt" from being /facepalm'd for making such a bad game and are now determined to bring a much better product to the table.  Im really hoping that this is a turning point for the Final Fantasy franchise as well, since that also has taken a nose dive recently.

Can't wait to see the product I hoped I was getting in the first place and have full confidence Square can give it.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

.... lots o details ...

Beyond that I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for when you're talking about Gameplay. Most has been covered already through Live Letters and whatnot.

Yeah, I was aware of all the stuff you noted. I've watched those videos and read interviews many times over. The thing is, those are specific details they're explaining.

They haven't really shown much beyond running around as DRG (and always as DRG), riding a chocobo, jumping around an awful lot (an obvious reassuring nod to those who've been requesting it), and then riding up to the entrance to one of the dungeons. Along the way he one-shots a number of low-level mobs, which doesn't really demonstrate much of the combat at all.

So that's kind of my point.. they've explained an awful lot, but haven't shown very much beyond what we saw in those live vids and the brief glimpses from the trailers they've put out.

I've also seen a lot of very Tanaka-esque responses of "we can't go into detail about "x" yet, but please look forward to it later". Also, as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, when he's been asked very direct questions about certain topics, he's given sorta round-about answers that gave some kind of tangential info, but didn't address the actual question. This concerns me because I would figure by now they'd have some more concrete information for systems that really should be well implemented into the game by now, with Alpha coming in the next month or so.

You mention the changes to how classes play. That's a great example. He's described only one class/job so far - Pugilist/MNK and even then, only in so far as explaining that it'll be all about chaining non-stop combos. What of THM/BLM, GLD/WAR, LNC/DRG, and so on? We know nothing about them.

They've given very limited and very specific details so far, and that's what concerns me, along with the lack of actual footage/demonstrations of more of these changes/additions. We've seen a lot of concept art which is great, except that it only shows a concept for something, not the actual implementation of it.

Believe me, I'm not bashing the game. I want it to succeed and I want it to do great. But, at the same time, I have to be cautious and not let myself get caught up in the hype (and my own "vision" of how the game would be) like I did last time. I made every excuse in the book for many of the complaints people had about Alpha and Beta for 1.0. Yes, I was one of those trying to reassure people that Tanaka said we're only seeing a small portion of the game for testing (he'd said Beta covered only 10% of the whole game), and that surely there would be much, much more upon launch. Only there wasn't.

I'm excited and hopeful about the game's future - but I'm tempering that optimism with caution and that hope with reality and still rather clear memories of what ultimately brought us to the game being rebuilt from the ground-up to begin with. As we get closer to "lights out" for 1.0, and still are getting such limited information, red flags are beginning to go up for me.