Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Updated Restrictions, from a F2P perspective, what a mess.

Comments

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Dreskest

They are going to offer the full leveling experience 1-50 with access to all the story completely for free, and that is very generous in my opinion.

I honestly see this thread filling up with all the cheapskates and freeloaders complaining that they can't have everything for free and hating on EA for being so evil and greedy.

The one person I actually kind of agree with. Though I think some better options for folks who bought the game and played in the past......needs to be better than just cartel coins. I actually won't touch the game, F2P or sub, being a recent horrific customer service experience I had with them.............in-game help, which I was told to email support. Emailed support 3x over the next  2 weeks, hour wait on a phone call before giving up and cancelling/uninstalling. Funny actually being I just returned to the game and was looking forward to finishing some toons, found out for some reason in server merges they had moved 1 high level toon to a completely different server than where all my characters actually were.....no clue how that happened. In "cancelling feedback" I left the comment of not receiving an help with the issue.........its been 2 weeks and still no response to any of the emails or the cancel feedback.

Sorry about the babble, just fair warning of horrid customer service.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Those restrictions are comical. Who in the heck thought of those restrictions, lol. They definately won't be pulling in more players like that, lol.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Everything you post about SWTOR F2P is a whine fest.  But they really did make some dumb decisions.  Their goal is clear: Annoy the F2Pers enough to make them sub.

I suppose I can take this as a compliment, since you found the unavoidable truth somewhat entertaining.

The truth hurts sometimes.  Face up to it and stop calling truth-tellers whiners?

Maybe if you posted your whines less frequently I wouldn't have even noticed.  But at least you are coherent and mostly reasonable and so I can't justify just blocking you.  Just because I think you're whining a lot, it doesn't mean I think you are wrong.  I jsut think you complain too much about the same thing over and over.  Maybe it's time to move on.

Aww I'm sorry I crapped on your game.  I'd like to say that I'll do better next time.

But I'll call crap as I see it, so no promises.

A shame you might ignore me, I actually liked what you had to say in other threads, Frodo.  I wish it was bi-directional.

It's not my game.  I quit during the first month.  But this is the last post of yours I'll read.  Thanks for showing your true colors so that I don't need to waste another second reading your self important rants.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    You two keep this up and I am going to photoshop your avatars into "My Little Pony" wuv emo pics.
  • knighthammerknighthammer Member Posts: 22

Well this seems like the greatest plan by EA since Wile E Coyote decided to have Roadrunner for lunch

Actually no, these plans for F2P make Wile E Coyote look like a tactical planning genius

I play STO atm, now that is quite a good F2P model as you can do and earn everything a paying player can have, hell if you sub for 1 month and you use the stippend to buy the energy credit upgrade there is no difference between you and a payer.

Even if you dont you can get Dilithium - very very easy to get -  to trade for Zen and buy anything you want, you want another character you can get it without spending a penny, a new ship beyond what you get for free, more bank/inventory, flashy alternate clothing plus loads more you can get without spending anything.

SWTOR F2P is just so restrictive

Star Wars Galaxies relaunch by December 2012

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Robokapp

this will end well...

when you fail as F2P there's not much lower you ca go to try and stabilize.

This.

Gotta love these craptastic *cough* "free" to play models they come up with lol.

"Here's a free burger! The bun, lettuce and condiments will cost ya though... yeah, sorry about that..."

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Jumping Jalapenos this is pretty nasty .So mnay bad restrictions.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    EA doesn't know anything about online bussiness. This is a perfect example on how you want to kill your own game.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Originally posted by kulhat

Hey!, maybe they WANT to annoy people away, what do we know :)

All this will surely work in that direction.

This is a good speculation as to their intent.  If EA can MAKE this game fail, then they might be able to excuse themselves from their obligation with George Lucas .. an obligation which carries a high cost.

In essense, EA might be trying to get this game to tank, because in the long run, it's more profitable.  They still need to show that they "tried", which will be important in court hearings.

This is what I thought the moment I saw the f2p model.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

The quickbar bit bugs me, I have 42 keybinds and use all ability rows so that means combat will be super gimp with that restriction.

So far the F2P restrictions put me off, I'm not gonna even bother logging in.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

So this is their last resort? This is such a mess and it's really idiotic in my opinion...

Well, atleast they'll fail again if nothing else... Maybe that'll teach EA a lesson finally, that greed bastards.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    These restrictions are so laughably bad I had to check the calendar to make sure it's not April 1st. One hotbar hahaha. I was going to log in as I prefer the setting over elves and dragons but it may not be playable with these restrictions. I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories but I may be on board with some after this.

SOE Vanguard restrictions are looking pretty good right about now.
  • RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

OP, your obessive crying over a game you dont play or like is getting ridiculous...

3 Choices Folks....

1. Pay the sub fee

2. Dont play

3. Use the F2P model they introduced

Its thier game and thier rules. Bottom line.

I dont like parts of the F2P model either, but crying about it or calling EA/Bioware names isnt gonna change it nor does it make you look cool to internet strangers. Sorry.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    It takes a very special type of contrarian to defend these restrictions. I commend you all, truly the elite of the elite of your craft.
  • NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Character creation restrictions are strange. Suppose you start playing F2P, decide you like the game and want to sub. (Surely the best-case scenario for EA!) Are you going to go back and re-create your character? Very strange...
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Sciva
    One skill bar? Who the hell restricts that sort of thing? Don't they want us to play it or somthing? It sounds like they just want to make it uncomfortable for free players so they sub, but i fear this sort of thing will just push players away and do more harm than good.

what a joke , i still laughing .....only EA can restrict skill bars lol

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

2. Quickbars

• One quickbar only with 12 abilities. You can still use extra abilities off the abilities window.

Why in heavens name woudl anyone EVER think that this had to be restricted

Crew skill that returns lockboxes do not return lockboxes. Instead, players are asked to subscribe to get full rewards.

Ok this i can understand... But it is still not a good idea.

9. Flashpoint & Operations

• 3 Loot rolls per week (displayed at the bottom of the group finder).

Again why in all that is holy did they think this was a good idea...

Yeah.. this F2P conversion  is going to be DoA

To bad as DDO, LoTRO and DCUO have proved that F2P can work very well with a converted game.

This have been a good conversation

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by funyahns
     I was looking at offical forums, and a large portion of people were supporting the 1 hot bar for ftp.  I think its a bit out crazy to expect this to actually get someone to want to sub.  If I am playing a game on a demo, which is sort of what ftp is.  The last thing you want to do is to make me feel unwelcome or to make my in game life complicated.  What they should do is make the game fun, where I am meeting people who want me to group with them and stuff. If I am making friends and having fun I am far more likely to sub than if you try to make everything inconvenient.

The official forums is full of shills, who promote anything and everything EA offers.

It is against the law for EA to advertise and promote / criticize others for their own agenda on external sites, like this one.

Having EA promote their own products on their own websites is like going to a Coke(tm) website and reading about how it's #1 in a taste test.

The SWTOR official forums can be entertaining, maybe even informative, but you need to skip through all the BS.  EA pays people to shill.  Hi Andryah :-)

Definately agree qith the highlighted. She can't stand my ass on that forum.

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    It takes a very special type of contrarian to defend these restrictions. I commend you all, truly the elite of the elite of your craft.

Yeah. That's what I was thinking too. But there are is always that special few who no matter how bad something is, they will defend and do their darndest to twist it into something good.

• MagaskaweelMagaskaweel Member UncommonPosts: 35
    According to http://www.swtor.com/free/features there are no hotbar restrictions. Am I missing something, or should we trust some fluff blog site over the official one?
  • OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Just dont play anything EA makes, ty
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Magaskaweel
    According to http://www.swtor.com/free/features there are no hotbar restrictions. Am I missing something, or should we trust some fluff blog site over the official one?

It's taken from the Public Test Server, there is plenty of videos with F2P walkthroughs and such, so it didn't come out of thin air.

That being said, thanks to an uproar across social sites, EA is rethinking their stance.  In an update today:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5324230

We've been observing PTS closely over the last few days. In that time, we have generally been very pleased with how well the build has been performing, as well as overall reaction to the build both on the boards and in-game. That being said, based on community and internal feedback here and further deliberation, we will in short order make the following changes to the Free to Play restrictions:

• Free-to-Play players will now get a second quickslot bar.
    • Free-to-Play players will now be able to do 5 Warzones per week instead of 3.
    • The Cartel Coin item lock (i.e. temporary bind) will be reduced to 3 days for Free-to-Play players, and 2 days for subscribers.
    We've found some crucial bugs that needed stomping, which is good. These changes will make their way to you probably early next week.

There are a couple of key concepts that should be kept in mind as you review free to play changes. The first is that, to be honest, all of you are looking at a gameplay mode that you will likely never see. Subscribers who choose to cancel their account will typically revert to something that we refer to as preferred status. My fellow designer Nathan Emmott has a post up describing the ins and outs of Preferred Status. Originally, the second quickslot bar was part of preferred status, but this morning based on feedback here and what they were seeing in the community we decided to give it to everyone.

The second is Warzones. Perhaps the most interesting point regarding the Warzones limitation is that some players have concerns that putting limitations on Warzone runs might make Warzone queues less likely to fire. While it is possible that this may happen, we don't think it will -- our subscriber base likely will not shrink much, and for some of our competitors, converting to Free-to-Play has resulted in a subscriber increase! Which means that Warzone queues should likely see improvement from what you experience in game, and at minimum be relatively unchanged in experience.

That being said, one of our golden rules is that the Free-to-Play experience should not cheapen the experience for paying subscribers. If it turns out that the Free-to-Play conversion results in a degraded Warzone experience once we go live for subscribers, you can rest assured that we will quickly make adjustments to the system to ensure that subscribers have an optimal experience.

That being said, it is important conversely that the subscription offers subscribers strong, tangible benefits over the Free-to-Play experience. We value our subscribers greatly, and they are crucial to the success of Star Wars: the Old Republic.

Thank you for helping being our guinea pigs through this experience, and please continue to keep posting your feedback on issues here. We're listening!

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    WTF? One skill bar? Wow my interest to try F2P just went to zero.
  • UkihaUkiha Member Posts: 58
    They forgot to add "No nothing".
  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Magaskaweel
    Zen, the guy that provided a youtube video I think mentioned it, and you see in the video that he only has 1 bar.