Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Blizzard sucking money out of Pay Pal accounts.

2»

Comments

• SlampigSlampig Chantilly, VAPosts: 2,376Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

Blizzard is doing nothing illegal.

What you all are forgetting is how PayPal works.

PayPal is it's own separate account.

Sure, you can have it attached to your credit card or bank account, but it is still only your PayPal acount.

PayPal is the middle man.

Person 1 sends money ----> PayPal receives money, ------> gives money to Person 2.

In this case, Blizzard fucks up and sends money ------> PayPal receives money, clears it ------->Sends to Person 2' PayPal account.

Blizzard realizes their fuck up and notifies PayPal ------> PayPal retrieves the money from your PayPal account --------> PayPal gives money back to Blizzard.

Blizzard has never taken anything from your credit card or bank, PayPal has.

AND YOU GAVE THEM PERMISSION when you attached those cards and/or bank accounts.

The only post that makes sense and it seems not one person even read it... Go figure...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Los Angeles, CAPosts: 331Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

Blizzard is doing nothing illegal.

What you all are forgetting is how PayPal works.

PayPal is it's own separate account.

Sure, you can have it attached to your credit card or bank account, but it is still only your PayPal acount.

PayPal is the middle man.

Person 1 sends money ----> PayPal receives money, ------> gives money to Person 2.

In this case, Blizzard fucks up and sends money ------> PayPal receives money, clears it ------->Sends to Person 2' PayPal account.

Blizzard realizes their fuck up and notifies PayPal ------> PayPal retrieves the money from your PayPal account --------> PayPal gives money back to Blizzard.

Blizzard has never taken anything from your credit card or bank, PayPal has.

AND YOU GAVE THEM PERMISSION when you attached those cards and/or bank accounts.

This^

• alexanys1982alexanys1982 naples, FLPosts: 276Member
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Maggon

Now im not to familiar with the US laws, but isnt it illigal to take money from another persons bank or paypal account in this case - even if it was an error in the first place ? If they money has reached its destination, it shouldn't be possible for blizzard to actually withdraw the money as they shouldn't have access to that account o.O...

Sounds rather odd to me.

Nope. If a bank sends you 10 million instead of 10 bucks and you spend the money before they realize it you will go to jail.

And that is true in any country. The other way around things might be different but unless it say "gift" or something you are screwed. If Blizzard would give you a dollar and accidently gave you a million instead they can take it back though, but that isnt the case here.

Still, they should be better to inform people and frankly in this case they could have at least given the affected people some in game stuff or something because it is pretty bad PR.

Blizzard is above bad PR. They are above everything, and no there will be no compensation thru items of any sort. Thats the attitude over there now and why I didnt buy Mists and hate myself for buying Cata.

• theAsnatheAsna AsnatownPosts: 321Member
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Whike that is true, this isnt an error on any banks part. It is a private company who screwed up and IMO they should have to take it up with the banks themselves, not simply pull the money back out.

It would be like me accidentally giving someone too much money for smething I bought off them, then going and breaking into their house and taking it back when I realized it later. Yeah, technically they should just give me that money back, but it desnt give me the right (legally) to forcefully take it back. Theres a reason we have legal systems & courts after all.

Dunno but doesn't have PayPal a banking license? After all I would think that the kind of services PayPal offers would require it.

Blizzard did some money transfer via PayPal. This transfer was an error on Blizzards behalf. Blizzard realized the error and gets things sorted with PayPal. PayPal corrects the error.

If you do a transaction from your real bank account and it was an error you can up to a certain point have this transaction canceled. 

But then you can't compare a PayPal account with a real bank account since with a real bank account a customer has more rights.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member
    Originally posted by theAsna
    Whike that is true, this isnt an error on any banks part. It is a private company who screwed up and IMO they should have to take it up with the banks themselves, not simply pull the money back out.

It would be like me accidentally giving someone too much money for smething I bought off them, then going and breaking into their house and taking it back when I realized it later. Yeah, technically they should just give me that money back, but it desnt give me the right (legally) to forcefully take it back. Theres a reason we have legal systems & courts after all.

Dunno but doesn't have PayPal a banking license? After all I would think that the kind of services PayPal offers would require it.

No.  PayPal doesn't have any special qualifications.  I'd be surprised if their techs are SQL-trained.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Fresno, CAPosts: 615Member
    Originally posted by theAsna

Blizzard did some money transfer via PayPal. This transfer was an error on Blizzards behalf. Blizzard realized the error and gets things sorted with PayPal. PayPal corrects the error.

If you do a transaction from your real bank account and it was an error you can up to a certain point have this transaction canceled. 

But then you can't compare a PayPal account with a real bank account since with a real bank account a customer has more rights.

Why would they have a banking license? They're not a bank, they're simply a wire transfer service. That's like saying Western Union or your local check cashing place should have banking licenses.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

2»