Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Smedley: "EverQuest Next will be the world's largest sandbox-style MMO ever made"

1181921232435

Comments

  • rungardrungard st. john''s, NFPosts: 1,035Member
    Originally posted by Skuall
    eqnext a full sandbox? i doubt it....

     You will have the power to both destroy and rebuild the majority of the games environment. You will have the ability to create objects. You will have the ability to speak and your avatar will appear to talk and sound like you want them to. You will have the ability to make your own content and gameworld rules in some cases.

     I call that a full sandbox, whether or not some of the other aspects are preserved such as raiding, if..the hype is real.

     

    image

     

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    If they don't want to loose core EQ fans it will have a raid progressesion endgame.

    That very feature will stop it being a sandbox and make it a themepark with some sandbox features - teraforming and crafting.
  • BaratukBaratuk trinity, ALPosts: 14Member

    I'm so excited about a sandboxy version of norrath. Just hope they can pull it off. Also, I wonder if we'll finnally get some high seas adventure this time. I know they promised it with eq2 and never delivered. 

    Also, I hope they go back to the style of eq1 as in, no guides. I used to love having to travel and find stuff out for yourself. Not knowing if you should go through that zone for fear of dieing and not being able to get your body.

    Who here that played eq1 didnt love the fact that if you went into kithicor forrest at night you were pretty much going to get ganked by the undead denziens. I love that type of stuff. Also the fact that it took hours to go from freeport to qeynos. As a rogue I remember being level 10 or so and sneaking from freeport to qeynos. It felt like a very epic journey by the end. I miss those days.

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Although, if this turns out to be some sort if fantasy eve (which I highly doubt)
    I will
    A) probably play it, it would be the first EQ game I would enjoy
    B) laugh like hell at the epic whine which would come from the EQ fanbase
    C) enjoy the irony that the founder of the themepark emerged as the saviour of sandbox
    D) enjoy the irony that in just about every mmo I have betaed you got all these ex EQ players trying to make the game into a super grindy raid progression themepark with 0 pvp, then a new EQ comes along and does the opposite of what they try and make choose other mmos into.
  • RimmersmanRimmersman MonacoPosts: 885Member
    Originally posted by ice-vortex

    I would like them to rewind to the pre-Luclin EQ days and then have them look forward into the what if the direction of design went in a different direction. The original EQ was basically bare bones and there is so much it was lacking and many things that I would never want to replay, but it did a number of things right that have not been repeated in any modern MMO.

    Nah, as much as i like Pre- Luclin, i actually loved that expansion. My best and fondest memories come from my Val Shir beasty and Luclin. I'm hoping that Luclin has been remade the great city of Shar Vahl is shining in all it's glory.

    I'm hoping that my first ever character in EQ is rerurned to it's original form..ie the Erudites. What SOE were thinking when they turned those regal black skinned masters of magic into alien freaks i will never know.

    From this

    to this wtf

     

    image
  • RimmersmanRimmersman MonacoPosts: 885Member
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Although, if this turns out to be some sort if fantasy eve (which I highly doubt)
    I will
    A) probably play it, it would be the first EQ game I would enjoy
    B) laugh like hell at the epic whine which would come from the EQ fanbase
    C) enjoy the irony that the founder of the themepark emerged as the saviour of sandbox
    D) enjoy the irony that in just about every mmo I have betaed you got all these ex EQ players trying to make the game into a super grindy raid progression themepark with 0 pvp, then a new EQ comes along and does the opposite of what they try and make choose other mmos into.

    Your dreaming if you think SOE and Smed would ever lose the feeling EQ and what made EQ the game it was.

    EQ still has a vast following, it will be like coming home but coming home modern nday.

    image
  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Oh yeah, I highly doubt it will be a sandbox.

    It will be a raid grinder with a few sandbox elements, anything else would be commercial suicide.
  • RimmersmanRimmersman MonacoPosts: 885Member
    Originally posted by Baratuk

    I'm so excited about a sandboxy version of norrath. Just hope they can pull it off. Also, I wonder if we'll finnally get some high seas adventure this time. I know they promised it with eq2 and never delivered. 

    Also, I hope they go back to the style of eq1 as in, no guides. I used to love having to travel and find stuff out for yourself. Not knowing if you should go through that zone for fear of dieing and not being able to get your body.

    Who here that played eq1 didnt love the fact that if you went into kithicor forrest at night you were pretty much going to get ganked by the undead denziens. I love that type of stuff. Also the fact that it took hours to go from freeport to qeynos. As a rogue I remember being level 10 or so and sneaking from freeport to qeynos. It felt like a very epic journey by the end. I miss those days.

    Don't forget features like lightstones or not being able to see shit on the darkside of Luclin unless you had a see in the dark slill or buff.

    Imagine players in GW2 going into an zone and their screen being totally black, the crying would be heard across the interwebs.

    image
  • rungardrungard st. john''s, NFPosts: 1,035Member
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Oh yeah, I highly doubt it will be a sandbox.

    It will be a raid grinder with a few sandbox elements, anything else would be commercial suicide.

     they did say it would have raids but not rinse and repeat tier 800 gameplay.

     "What we want is a dynamic world that gives all those other possibilities and doesn't just say OK, go to raid X with group composition of X, Y, Z, and kill the dragon for the 52nd time to get the tier 800 gear. It's this rinse-and-repeat gameplay that's got to change, and so we're changing it." smed

    so what i get out of that is that there will be raids, but they will not be a mechanism of gear progression as in past games. If i had to place a bet i would say that raids will not be static and will be random. Cazic Thule might attack your city, and not wait for you to attack him.
     

  • AdamTMAdamTM Frankfurt Am MainPosts: 1,376Member
    Originally posted by rungard
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Oh yeah, I highly doubt it will be a sandbox.

    It will be a raid grinder with a few sandbox elements, anything else would be commercial suicide.

     they did say it would have raids but not rinse and repeat tier 800 gameplay.

     "What we want is a dynamic world that gives all those other possibilities and doesn't just say OK, go to raid X with group composition of X, Y, Z, and kill the dragon for the 52nd time to get the tier 800 gear. It's this rinse-and-repeat gameplay that's got to change, and so we're changing it." smed

    so what i get out of that is that there will be raids, but they will not be a mechanism of gear progression as in past games. If i had to place a bet i would say that raids will not be static and will be random. Cazic Thule might attack your city, and not wait for you to attack him.
     

    Thats a lot of conjecture from that one sentence.

    image
  • Sora2810Sora2810 New Columbia, PAPosts: 567Member
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by Sora2810

    When I heard EQN was redesigned as a sandbox, I chuckled. I love sandbox games, to the bottom of my core. SOE maimed a game that I truly cherished. SWG. I didn't believe SOE would make EQN into a sandbox.

    Then I saw that Smed openly apologized for SWG, and that EQN would make vet's feel right at home. In that moment; my heart stopped. SOE created SWG, they could do it again, but would they?

    Hmm, EQNext is not going to be a total sandbox MMO if you think that then you might as well bow at now. Smed said "an sandbox style game" that should tell you the true story.

    I think you will find that EQNext will be an hybrid MMO rather than a full sandbox MMO akin to Tails In The Desert.

    We know it will have classes and i'm pretty sure xp to level. We know the world will be seamless but will it be a open world like Vanguard which has no instances.

    Mm. That's a shame. Back into my hole I go [Logs into EVE].

    Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

  • rungardrungard st. john''s, NFPosts: 1,035Member
    Originally posted by AdamTM
    Originally posted by rungard
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Oh yeah, I highly doubt it will be a sandbox.

    It will be a raid grinder with a few sandbox elements, anything else would be commercial suicide.

     they did say it would have raids but not rinse and repeat tier 800 gameplay.

     "What we want is a dynamic world that gives all those other possibilities and doesn't just say OK, go to raid X with group composition of X, Y, Z, and kill the dragon for the 52nd time to get the tier 800 gear. It's this rinse-and-repeat gameplay that's got to change, and so we're changing it." smed

    so what i get out of that is that there will be raids, but they will not be a mechanism of gear progression as in past games. If i had to place a bet i would say that raids will not be static and will be random. Cazic Thule might attack your city, and not wait for you to attack him.
     

    Thats a lot of conjecture from that one sentence.

     not really. the key words are "rinse and repeat". The only way to actually get around rinse and repeat is to not make anything in the world static, which means that the chances of you scheduling raid x with xyz for epix9000 just went down dramatically.

     

    image

  • RydesonRydeson Canton, OHPosts: 3,858Member Uncommon

    I sure hope Smed doesn't try to do a sandbox EQ using Vanguard options or similar..

    I personally would just enjoy an enhanced retooling of the orinal EQ..  If anything I would use some of the newer concepts that GW2 has been using such as dynamic events..  I love the escort type events, and the random spawned attacks and take overs.. One thing I would NOT carry over into EQ Next is the "heart" events..  Those are nothing more then breadcrumb trail questing that I avoid..  I want EQ Next to be about exploration and discovery..  I don't want the game to  SHOW you were to go for better experience, but for you to find it on your own, or ask the community..  I further love scaling events.. Rather you are a solo player or teaming up in a group, I want people to work together when the situation allows.. I also like that some events are just group manditory and not soloable..

    I don't want EQ Next to be a pure sandbox, but I do want it to be a sandbox hybrid favoring freedom, not hand holding themepark.. I would like to see LESS loot gear chasing, and more resourse crafing loot..

  • VorthanionVorthanion Laguna Vista, TXPosts: 2,119Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by pvpirl

     


    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Everyones idea of a sandbox is different. Just like how i think a Sandbox doesnt need full loot pvp. IB4 im called a carebear.

     

    I have been a PK since pre UO (The Realm) and throughout my MMO career. I used to be brutal as fuck, carving a red river through naked miners and roleplayers. Hell, I was suspended from a humanities class in 10th grade for PKing my teacher and looting her tower keys and talking shit to her online after she found out I played UO and invited me to a pixelated tea party....

    However, looking at Darkfall or any of the non-production UO shards available today, the wolves that want full loot also want the sheep, those aformentioned miners and roleplayers on which to prey, back in the day they had precious few other games to run to. Nowadays, with all the options we have available, the sheep have a bit more say, so, for a healthy wolf pack and healthy herd, full loot is a no-go. I need something though, like coin, or materials, etc. Maybe 1 item. I'm sure a compromise will be found somewhere, or maybe I'm just getting soft in my 'old age'.

    Or they could go the route of Warhammer Online and players drop loot and cash like mobs do, with no loss to the player who gets killed.  I found it a win / win, especially as someone who isn't a hardcore fan of PvP.

    image
  • pvpirlpvpirl Orlando, FLPosts: 167Member


    Originally posted by Rydeson
    I sure hope Smed doesn't try to do a sandbox EQ using Vanguard options or similar..I personally would just enjoy an enhanced retooling of the orinal EQ..  If anything I would use some of the newer concepts that GW2 has been using such as dynamic events..  I love the escort type events, and the random spawned attacks and take overs.. One thing I would NOT carry over into EQ Next is the "heart" events..  Those are nothing more then breadcrumb trail questing that I avoid..  I want EQ Next to be about exploration and discovery..  I don't want the game to  SHOW you were to go for better experience, but for you to find it on your own, or ask the community..  I further love scaling events.. Rather you are a solo player or teaming up in a group, I want people to work together when the situation allows.. I also like that some events are just group manditory and not soloable..I don't want EQ Next to be a pure sandbox, but I do want it to be a sandbox hybrid favoring freedom, not hand holding themepark.. I would like to see LESS loot gear chasing, and more resourse crafing loot..

    I think all the information we have at hand points to a healthy combo of sandbox and a original EQ-style themepark experience

    image

  • ariestearieste toronto, ONPosts: 3,308Member Common
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    If they don't want to loose core EQ fans it will have a raid progressesion endgame.

    That very feature will stop it being a sandbox and make it a themepark

    I am not understanding why raids automatically make a game themepark.

     

    How is "kill 1 easy gnoll by yourself" a "sandbox experience" while "kill 5 really difficult gnoll with 25 friends" a "themepark experience".

     

    The difficulty of encounters and group size required to defeat them have nothing to do with making a game sandbox.  If you get a raid of 25 players to kill a giant alien ship for phat lewt in EVE, it doesn't suddenly become a themepark game.   If you get 25 players to kill a krayt dragon for phat lewt in SWG, it doesn't suddenly become a themepark game.  

     

    You can have a perfectly good sandbox game that still embraces many of popular playstyles and activities.   As a matter of fact, the more different playstyles and activities you have in the game, the bigger the potential for emergent gameplay that comes from these preset activities interacting with each other. 

    "I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

    - Raph Koster

    Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2
    Currently Playing: EQ2, Firefall

  • 77777777 Nowhere, MOPosts: 41Member
    Originally posted by arieste
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    If they don't want to loose core EQ fans it will have a raid progressesion endgame.

    That very feature will stop it being a sandbox and make it a themepark

    I am not understanding why raids automatically make a game themepark.

     

    The semantics of the underlined part.

  • CalmOceansCalmOceans BergenPosts: 2,273Member
    Originally posted by 7777
    Originally posted by arieste
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    If they don't want to loose core EQ fans it will have a raid progressesion endgame.

    That very feature will stop it being a sandbox and make it a themepark

    I am not understanding why raids automatically make a game themepark.

     

    The semantics of the underlined part.

    So EVE isn't a sandbox either then, since you progress and make larger ships and upgrade your ship in predefined stages.

    Which game is a sandbox that doesn't have progression, name one.

  • 77777777 Nowhere, MOPosts: 41Member
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by 7777
    Originally posted by arieste
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    If they don't want to loose core EQ fans it will have a raid progressesion endgame.

    That very feature will stop it being a sandbox and make it a themepark

    I am not understanding why raids automatically make a game themepark.

     

    The semantics of the underlined part.

    So EVE isn't a sandbox either then, since you progress and make larger ships and upgrade your ship in stages.

    Which game is a sandbox that doesn't have progression, name one.

     

    Emphasis on 'End Game'

  • CalmOceansCalmOceans BergenPosts: 2,273Member
    Originally posted by 7777
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by 7777
    Originally posted by arieste
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    If they don't want to loose core EQ fans it will have a raid progressesion endgame.

    That very feature will stop it being a sandbox and make it a themepark

    I am not understanding why raids automatically make a game themepark.

     

    The semantics of the underlined part.

    So EVE isn't a sandbox either then, since you progress and make larger ships and upgrade your ship in stages.

    Which game is a sandbox that doesn't have progression, name one.

     

    Emphasis on 'End Game'

    EVE has endgame too, what's your point.

  • 77777777 Nowhere, MOPosts: 41Member
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by 7777
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by 7777
    Originally posted by arieste
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    If they don't want to loose core EQ fans it will have a raid progressesion endgame.

    That very feature will stop it being a sandbox and make it a themepark

    I am not understanding why raids automatically make a game themepark.

     

    The semantics of the underlined part.

    So EVE isn't a sandbox either then, since you progress and make larger ships and upgrade your ship in stages.

    Which game is a sandbox that doesn't have progression, name one.

     

    Emphasis on 'End Game'

    EVE has endgame too, what's your point.

    Your definition of endgame is highly debatable.

  • CalmOceansCalmOceans BergenPosts: 2,273Member
    Stop trying to answer in riddles. Which sandbox game doesn't have an endgame and doesn't have progression? Name one.
  • 77777777 Nowhere, MOPosts: 41Member
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Stop trying to answer in riddles. Which sandbox game doesn't have an endgame and doesn't have progression? Name one.

    What do you consider to be the 'endgame' of EVE?

  • CalmOceansCalmOceans BergenPosts: 2,273Member
    Originally posted by 7777
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Stop trying to answer in riddles. Which sandbox game doesn't have an endgame and doesn't have progression? Name one.

    What do you consider to be the 'endgame' of EVE?

    Just like every other game, when the content and challenge runs out.

  • 77777777 Nowhere, MOPosts: 41Member
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
     

    Just like every other game, when the content and challenge runs out.

    Which, in a true sandbox, never happens.  Sandboxes contain player created content.  Player created content never runs out.

This discussion has been closed.