Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The game's receiving great previews..

PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
Looks like this could be THE mmorpg everyone is waiting for

Comments

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Nope. I couldn't give a damn.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Various game press sites are gushing praise all over the place after playing for a few hours.

Haven't we seen this type of behavior before?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

Well you're on this board so you do give a damn.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Various game press sites are gushing praise all over the place after playing for a few hours.

Sure, but, we have learnt quite a lot about the game at such an early stage. Open world sieges, dungeons, combat system, quest system etc. Sure it's all subject to change but before this batch of previews I really didn't think they would make a real MMO out of Elder Scrolls. Not to mention a lot of the people who got to play all played Elder Scrolls and they agree if feels like Elder Scrolls

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Meh, gone right off it since I heard they were going with a sharded megaserver.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    I bet you're completely wrong.  This game will bomb big time.
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Not me, ill play it but EQNext is what i have been waiting for, it will be great to return home after all these years.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

Well you're on this board so you do give a damn.

Nope. I just responded to your comment about this game being "the MMORPG everyone is waiting for."

It isn't for me, so I wrote that I didn't really care.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Sure, but, we have learnt quite a lot about the game at such an early stage. Open world sieges, dungeons, combat system, quest system etc. Sure it's all subject to change but before this batch of previews I really didn't think they would make a real MMO out of Elder Scrolls. Not to mention a lot of the people who got to play all played Elder Scrolls and they agree if feels like Elder Scrolls

Maybe so, but I don't feel we've learned enough yet to determine if it could end up as the "next big thing".

A couple of systems do not make a MMORPG, they are truly the sum of their parts combined with a pinch of  "magic" sometimes to make it all come together.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

It is certainly looking/sounding better and better.

Still, not sure if it's going to be able to compete with Neverwinter IF and only IF NW pulls off the Foundy.

Why?

All PvE has an end. The amount of content is finite.

If Cryptic and PW can pull off the Foundry in NW successfully, we could and very well probably will see unlimited, high quality PvE content.

This, of course, is assuming they don't completely screw over players on the monetization.

In the end though, ESO could be well worth a look.

Are we seeing a trend here?

Bungie gives Halo 4 to 343 to develop - Halo 4 looks to surpass all previous Halo games in terms of campaign, multiplayer, forge, and co-op + new mode (Spartan Ops.)

Zenimax going to do a better ES Online than Bethesda could have done?

• they're walking a really fine line making a multiplayer TES game. it hits a lot of the things i like in an mmorpg, but at the same time it's still really early in the dev phase to make a call on if it will be a solid product or not. there's a list of unkowns that need to be addressed, but it's on the right track. i'd say it's still early enough that they can adjust core concepts if needed as well.

things are looking good for this game, but in this market it doesn't take a lot to bring a game down. the ip alone wont lock the game in as an all time best seller. if anything it may bring a few new players to MMORPGs the way the warcraft ip did. this isn't a bad thing.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

So far so good.

But if they start with regular friday updates, with timelines, class announcements and finally announcement of date when release date will be announced....then I will get really scared.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Yeah... totally not like it has happened before with lets see...

Age Of Conan

FF14

Tera (love the combat but otherwise meh)

SWTOR (which even got Goty... being out only few days, almost like they paid for one... *looks accusingly at MMOrpg*)

Aion (Which to be fair, its doing amazing overseas, just not as good in the west)

Guild Wars 2 

Vanguard

DC Universe

Rift (though I really do enjoy this game, still a lot lower in population)

I mean we can go on and on if you want. Preview =/= release results. Any reviewer is typically going to put a posative spin on anything they see, after all they want to be invited to try stuff out more and they want that little revenue for advertising that game. 

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Putting aside GW2 Pre-launch era which I believe to be a intricate parody of MMO players by a forum flashmob, I haven't seen this much gushing since SWTOR.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    How can anybody on here define THE mmo everyone has been waiting for when we all want different things?
  • spadge3k00spadge3k00 Member Posts: 56
    i believe people shud keep the negativity to a low untill they have actully played it for themselfs, u have no idea how the game feels till uve played it, it happend to me with tsw, i felt it looked awsome, the setting ect, then i played it an i diddnt like it, so goes to really show u have no idea how ur going to feel about it till uve spent some time with it. just a thought.
  • romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382
    TOR got great previews too, look how that turned out. All these previews are right now are baseless hype. Until the public gets to see or mess around with the game this stuff might as well not exist.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Yeah... totally not like it has happened before with lets see...

Age Of Conan

FF14

Tera (love the combat but otherwise meh)

SWTOR (which even got Goty... being out only few days, almost like they paid for one... *looks accusingly at MMOrpg*)

Aion (Which to be fair, its doing amazing overseas, just not as good in the west)

Guild Wars 2 

Vanguard

DC Universe

Rift (though I really do enjoy this game, still a lot lower in population)

I mean we can go on and on if you want. Preview =/= release results. Any reviewer is typically going to put a posative spin on anything they see, after all they want to be invited to try stuff out more and they want that little revenue for advertising that game. 

Thats because they arent really "reviewers" or "game journalists". Though they make you think they are.

They are really just an Advertisment Spokesperson.

These Official "Previews" and "Reviews" are nothing but commercials trying to get you to buy the game.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

heavily phased, instanced and with an emphasis on "story". it's dead already. swtor model, through and through. and yes, the initial sales will be impressive but not as much as swtor's. imo even the general public is becoming aware that "ip does not the game make" - it is the game design, the way the mechanics are built, the "what this game is all about" rather than referencing some imagined world...

tell me, did you love ES games for their "story" or for the fact that they gave you a freedom to explore and a real sense of accomplishment? I still remember eeking out a living in Morrowind... People confuse these things. People didn't love Star Wars because of its setting.. they loved it because of its characters, excellent writing and revolutionary special effects for the time. If you remove these, the story is banal and pretty much standard as is the space-opera setting, it's been done and done already ever since the 1940s... - the movie would have flopped like everybody expected to. The setting became beloved by so many because the movie itself, the stuff I mentioned, carried it through. Fast forward 15 years... bland characters, soapy writing and meh special effects (being impressed by CGI today is like being impressed by steam engines in the 20th century...) It's just an attempt at exploiting customer sentimentality. When you strip off the SW/ES sheen, there is nothing behind. Nothing.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Were you not paying attention in the run up for TOR?

Same exact thing: multiple overly positive previews/first looks/exclusive videos etc.etc. every week.

This site and others like it that hyped that game to the sky and it was mediocre at best. And magically, they saw none of what made 80% of the playerbase quit in the first 6 months.

It is clear that the entire gaming press has lost any vestiges of objectivity it ever had, to the pockets of advertisers/game companies.

If anything, the hype title-wave makes it more likely TESO will be a bad game than the reverse, because you don't have to try nearly so hard to sell a good game (especially one with name recognition).

So, the hype machine is cranking up for TESO?

So bloody what....

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I think I've heard that before, sounds familiar.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Already got the MMORPG for me image

Zenimax so far has made things sound better compared to previous information earlier this year. Depending on payment model, combat, questing, and PVP,  my intrest in it will increase/decrease, then I will try beta, and if I like it I'll buy it.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

heavily phased, instanced and with an emphasis on "story". it's dead already. swtor model, through and through.

Aye, when I read about that, I was instantly turned away from the game. I don't see me ever buying it for those reasons alone, well and it's going to be a typical WoW clone themepark wanna-be.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot