Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: This Momentous Occasion

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Giddian

This Game is Past for Me. I don't want to rehash the past. you don't see people going back to VHS or 8-Tracks. It had its run.

it's like them bringing back Myspace.... Not going anywhere. I had Fond memories of FFXI, Bad Memories of FFXIV, aqnd thats the way they should Stay. Memories. Move forward, not back.

Enjoy Playing what makes you happy. Games Rarely  make a Comeback. Now if they made it F2P, I MIGHT think about it.

What a confusing post lol...

All that effort to set up your manifesto of 'move forward always', and then you cap it all off by saying, 'well, unless they give me the client maybe'.

Which suggests to me that it isn't the fact that it is relaunching stopping you, despite what other noise you make, but rather the fact that you might have to shell out a little money to play.

You do realise that if you have the client already (which you seem to suggest you do) then it basically is free to look again?

Who knows, you might be even able to fix those 'bad memories' with new good ones! Cheaper then therapy anyhow ;)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

if they actually have a digital download version i might check it out at some point..

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Tenkousei

If the game offers a compelling PVE experience with TERA-like combat i'm sold.

I'll probably watch the game for a bit before i decide on a final purchase, but from what i've read it seems interesting. Admittedly i've never played FFXIV, so i don't have the bias some of the vets have.

I doubt it is going to have action combat..considering how it plays now..but who knows  we are pretty much getting a brand new game.

These are bold claims, but developing an engine and a client for PC only takes years, and add on top of that they would have also had to start from scratch on converting the PS3 version, it makes me very skeptical.

Definitely going to hold them accountable to such claims.

this made me lol  Thanks for the laugh pal 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

These are bold claims, but developing an engine and a client for PC only takes years, and add on top of that they would have also had to start from scratch on converting the PS3 version, it makes me very skeptical.

This Game is Past for Me. I don't want to rehash the past. you don't see people going back to VHS or 8-Tracks. It had its run.

it's like them bringing back Myspace.... Not going anywhere. I had Fond memories of FFXI, Bad Memories of FFXIV, aqnd thats the way they should Stay. Memories. Move forward, not back.

Enjoy Playing what makes you happy. Games Rarely  make a Comeback. Now if they made it F2P, I MIGHT think about it.

If it's as new and different as they say, they should call it FF 15, and just provide a free copy to all purchasers of 14, digitally of course. 

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    shame on mmorpg.com if you fool me once .shame on me if you fool me twice 
  • spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

well XIV was completely crap so this can only be better whetever they do

I will definantly try it out

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I bought the original, and I was disappointed (as i think everyone else was), but I have to give SE credit.  They've stuck it out and I have a feeling this will be a good game.  I haven't played FFXIV in about a year, but when I left, I could start to see the game turn around. Now with ARR they've redone everything from scratch, and most definitely have a chip on thier shoulder.  That means they'll be looking to out do anything they've done before.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    If anyone wants to try this, buy the original FFXIV now (it's dirt cheap at the moment; £3, $5) and save it until reborn launches. Price will surely go up after.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by lotaparty
    shame on mmorpg.com if you fool me once .shame on me if you fool me twice 

I never understand the blame directed at mmorpg.com itself.  They never really upsold bad mmos, they just reported stuff about them, gave impressions.  It's up to you to read actual user reviews and such.

Now fanboys on the other hand, they are definitely to be blamed for some people getting burned by this game, as it was praised as the best mmo ever by many in the forums here, even for a week or two post-release.  It was disgusting.

Originally posted by Vannor
    If anyone wants to try this, buy the original FFXIV now (it's dirt cheap at the moment; £3, $5) and save it until reborn launches. Price will surely go up after.

link?

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by adam_nox

The engine used for FFXIV:ARR is a cousin of SE's newest engine "Luminous". They've used relatively the same technology but made serious adaptations to the engine to build MMORPGs in particular. So that's why they could build the new engine relatively quickly, the groundwork had already been done, they only needed to adapt it. FFXIV was built using the same engine as FFXIII which was never intended for MMORPG, which is why they had to go with a new engine.

As a matter of fact, in the "Letter from the producer LIVE" linked by the writer, one of the developer present to talk about FFXIV:ARR is one of the developer that worked on the new engine as well as Luminous.

--------------------

More toward the article now.

The main reason why I'm looking forward to FFXIV:ARR is because I don't want it to fail. I bought the game at Launch and sadly the game failed, but after the whole team was replaced by Yoshi-P, things have changed pretty seriously. A forum was created, they put a lot of time into listening to the playerbase to see what was wrong and what needed to change, made some large changes to FFXIV that gradually improved the game everytime, while they were working on FFXIV:ARR no less.

It's been so enjoyable seeing Yoshi-P talk about his vision of the game, interact with the community and rework the game that for FFXIV:ARR to fail would mean that all his hard work would go to waste, and I'd hate to see that happen for Yoshi-P and his team. Rather than just saying "Alright, FFXIV failed let's just close down the servers and go back to making single player games" they've invested so much time to rebuild the game that for it to fail would be telling other developer studios around the world "If your project fail, don't bother remaking it, just stop".

• keitholikeitholi Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by DarkVagabond

This is one to watch folks.

Whether it succeeds marvelously or fails spectacularly you are in for a show.

It has already failed spectacularly at least once. I see no direction other than a complete failure again.

If there is one thing that has held true in the 16 + years of online gaming, it is that you only get 1 shot at a first impression. Countless amounts of people were screaming on the beta boards prior to launch that it just was not ready and that there were too many features that needed tweaking. Like ALL game companies out there these days, the developers knew best and they pushed through the launch anyways and the game flopped, and flopped hard.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

If it's as new and different as they say, they should call it FF 15, and just provide a free copy to all purchasers of 14, digitally of course. 

They are already making XV thats why they can't rename it.

• FauxbulousFauxbulous Member Posts: 2

Your skepticism is completely understandable. I might be able to give you a little more information on that being a community member and this was actually touched upon during some press releases between E3 and TGS. 

ARR's new client had a lot of people working on it. The majority from who is building Luminous Studio engine, in fact, it is headed by the same director, Yoshihisa Hashimoto, and was said that FFXIV:ARR's new engine uses much of the same framework. Which could be the reason why it was able to be developed so quickly as a lot of the work was already finished. 

Though, they are not going so far to call it a Luminous Engine entirely, but the sister of Luminous. The team for developing the new client for PC and PS3 on top of the new graphics engine is upwards to about 300 developers. 

I was hoping that I'd see this included in the article, but I understand that some people might not follow the game as intensely as others. lol They are actually putting a lot of time, money, and man power into this game and I sincerely hope that it does well and is greatly executed. I told myself that this is my last MMO as I don't have time for gaming much anymore and will probably have a lot less later in life. So, here is to ARR making magic! 

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    NEXT....EQNEXT that is I think I will pass on this
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    summoner? ......... :3 for sure im going to give it a try

SE said they will let ppl change race ect for existing customers hope it still on the planlist
  • SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

You cant create new account since september 27 or 28 so dont tell people to buy something they cant use.

• NovaRyuNovaRyu Member UncommonPosts: 31

Awesome article. It was well written and I really enjoyed it.

I am psyched for 2.0. I feel like Yoshi-p and his team worked their asses off and regained my trust. Can't wait to try what they have been working on.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by keitholi
    Originally posted by DarkVagabond

This is one to watch folks.

Whether it succeeds marvelously or fails spectacularly you are in for a show.

It has already failed spectacularly at least once. I see no direction other than a complete failure again.

If there is one thing that has held true in the 16 + years of online gaming, it is that you only get 1 shot at a first impression. Countless amounts of people were screaming on the beta boards prior to launch that it just was not ready and that there were too many features that needed tweaking. Like ALL game companies out there these days, the developers knew best and they pushed through the launch anyways and the game flopped, and flopped hard.

I disagree totally with you, if the game is good is they really create something good, people will try it. Some will wait the reviews or a trial to see how it goes and i cant blame them. Me i will play at release and see this game by myself, like the new game it is.

Originally posted by Skuall
    summoner? ......... :3 for sure im going to give it a try

SE said they will let ppl change race ect for existing customers hope it still on the planlist

Should be noted that Summoner won't be present the day ARR launches (Arcanist will however, which is another class that possess a summon) but will be release shortly after. This was mentionned by Yoshi-P in the Live Letter.

He also made mention of the Ninja and Samurai, although I'm not sure if it's just ideas floating around or classes they're actually planning to make.

Originally posted by Silok

You cant create new account since september 27 or 28 so dont tell people to buy something they cant use.

I wonder if unused codes from boxes will still be usable after relaunch, anyone know?  still waiting on a link to a 5 dollar copy of the game (if shipping is 4 bucks then LOL that's not the same). 

Also, about renaming it and calling it a new game, it doesn't have to be 15, it could be 16, or 17, or 22.  Still could be done.

• dimmit77dimmit77 Member Posts: 294
    I stopped reading at : "A Realm Reborn will feature a PC version and a PS3 version ... "
    Originally posted by dimmit77
    I stopped reading at : "A Realm Reborn will feature a PC version and a PS3 version ... "

FFXI supported PC, Playstation 2 and Xbox 360 ... I don't see what the big deal is.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    one thing that used to really upset me about this game was the d/load speed of updates and not to metion the game itself..i did enjoy certain aspects of the original but the engine sucked big time.does anyone have any info on if they are changing the way or how they do the updates(can't find anything on it).i do really want to give this another go mainly because i dont have to pay for the game again,but i,m very wary of being promised stuff by an mmo company only for them to lie thru their teeth.