Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMOs you've brought were worth the money ?

Proberbly like the rest of you I've had my fingers burnt by a few mmos ToR and Vanguard spring to mind but others have been worth the price paid .

For me they are

WoW even though its trash now I had 4 years solid playing it and have since returned for maybe a month or two each year . Those orginal 4 years were proberbly the best I've spent in any mmo . I just wish it had kept up the quality and challenge it once offered .

Lotro brought a couple of months after release and got a life times subscription for half price about a year later on a welcome back week

Rift which has proven to be a lot of fun for me . I guess not everyones cup of tea but for me its mmo Nirvana.

Guild Wars 2 great value given its buy to play can see myself playing this one casually for years to come .

Comments

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

EverQuest for sure. Played from 00-04 and was easily the best time I've had in any MMO to date.

Rift would be a second because I bought it for $4.99 on a promotion after the ascend a friend trial I got.

Guild Wars 2 probably. Put in about 60 hours so far and can see myself playing casually for quite a while.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Pretty much all of them.

It's rare that I didn't get to the end of the free month... I didn't in WAR, but even that gave me 30-40 hours.

I have played more single player games that I felt ripped me off then MMOs tbh.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I got a lot of fun from uo but asheronscall also was a great game i wish more games gave me that much of fun from just sub and the box

And daoc was good for pvp fun but the mileage wasn't from the grinding because that suck and is why its a wow clone in many way..... like eq but very different this time .  Of the best woild be eve because of the games worth my money it really did keep fun all day night long over and over again. even yesterday was fun and Ive been playing since 2003. 

right now i'm playing GW2 and its keeping me the entertain alot. a whole lot but i forgot my password yesterday so I have to wait for support replies to get it fixed because lol cant candycorn without account! lol

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Worth it. - Daoc, eve, coh
    Worth it with issues - War, wow, planetside, gw2, perpetuum
    Don't feel too bad had a couple of months fun - tsw, rift, wakfu, co
    I was robbed - swtor, EQ, dcuo, Aoc.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Ultima Online

Asheron's Call

Dark Age of Camelot

World of Warcraft

Those all gave me years of entertainment, and were well worth the price of the box/expansion/subscription fees.

Games that I wish I'd never spent money on.

SWTOR

Warhammer

GW1

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401

I would say all of them were worth the money. If I was able to play a game for a few weeks or months, then the fifty dollars or so was well worth it. I would say UO,EQ,EQ2,DOAC  were a steal for me, years of 15 dollars a month for 100's of hour of entertainment.

Oddly GW2 was the closest to a waste of money for me, but I got a warrior to 37 and just couldn't find the motivation to play anymore. Making it 30ish hours in the game made it worth the money.  I had pre-purchased and kind of knew in beta it wasn't my thing, but I'm not one of those people who chase after a refund when I made the buying decision. It is still on my comp though, just in case.

It's the single player games that make me feel ripped off.......50-60 dollars for 10 hours? I've actually pulled back from alot of single player titles. I wait 6 months and get them for cheap, then they are worth it.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    How is daoc a wow clone lok?

It game out 3 years before
    It has 0 instancing
    It has a rvr endgame rather than a raid endgame.
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

Guild Wars 1 (no argument please over whether this is a TRUE MMO)

LotRO (through Isengard; lore-breaking by raiding IN ISENGARD sent me packing)

TSW

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• ThenThen Member UncommonPosts: 80

MMO - Value for money, Top being most value, and bottom least.

Rift

Lineage 2

LOTRO (Before f2p)

Vanguard (obv before f2p)

TSW

EQ2 (obv before f2p)

Hellgate (even after f2p)

SWTOR

GW2

WOW

WAR

Conan

DAOC

GW1 (Bought every box, never like anything about it past the original)

That is my 2cents

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

And daoc was good for pvp fun but the mileage wasn't from the grinding because that suck and is why its a wow clone in many way..... like eq but very different this time .  Of the best woild be eve because of the games worth my money it really did keep fun all day night long over and over again. even yesterday was fun and Ive been playing since 2003. 

DAOC a WoW clone? It was released years before Wow and it was nothing like WoW.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

DAOC a WoW clone? It was released years before Wow and it was nothing like WoW.

too easy :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

EQ, EQ2, GW2.

All were worth the $$ I Spent on them. Had/having a great time, met some great people, still friends with most of them many many years later.

Every now & then we remember some of the great times we had in the older games, I guess it does say something about how important the journey and the community are rather than the end game. 

• TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114

Honnestly, all MMOs i've bought were worth the 50 odd Euro i've spent for them. If i get 50 -100 hours of gameplay out of a game i usually see my money as well spent, even if i dropped the game afterwards or did not resub.

Nowadays there's single player titles charging you 50 bucks for 5 hours of gameplay.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

the only games that had kept me playing for more than a week were WAR, eq2, and runescape (5+ years subbing at one point) and ive bought alot of mmos such as wow, aion, eve, aoc, rift, and even gw2.  For some reason i only find random games entertaining even though they are the same themepark style game.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    GW1 by far. Got a lot of mileage out of that game, and it cost me very little. infact I profited from it.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Lucky you, OP, to get a LOTRO lifetime! I'd buy it today if it was available.

To answer the question, they all were worth it except Aion.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Worth the money: EQ, EQ2, DAOC, GW2, AoC after the Godslayer Expansion

Not worth the money: WoW, Rift, TSW, DCUO, WAR, LOTRO, SWTOR (it was ok for a month, not for a sub)

Had promise but ultimately not worth the money: SWG, Vanguard, FFIV

Hope they will be worth the money: Neverwinter, DF:UW, Archeage

• HaplosHaplos Member UncommonPosts: 82

Kingdom of Drakkor........beta and beyond......before they made it easy to level.  By todays standards it's trash, but it was my first , had a great community and open gameplay. I loved the fact in early game that you could solo just about anywhere if you could get big enough.  Leveling took months but you really saw the results of making a level, that gave me years of fun.

UO......finally lured me away.  The pvp was unmatched.   Builds were unique and aloting points was critical to a good build.  Only game I ever played that gave me that sense of danger as soon as I left town.  Great game.

Everquest....The grapics drew me away from UO.....I know they don't look like much now, but in the day they were amazing!

Loved the way they made classes dependant on each other.  Made tons of friends some of which I still keep up with today.

World of tanks......ftp, but not really if you compete, you buy gold :)............Was great fun for a short time, but repetition got old fast.

That's about it for me, but I am still looking for that next special one.  On secret world now, but it's not it. maybe the next will grab me :).

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

WOW

LOTRO

GW2 - eventually will be.

SWTOR - unlikely to ever be but is the next closest and F2P may make it worth it.  Assuming they fix some of their dumb limitations.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    FFXI and vanilla WoW were worth the money. The rest just fail miserably.
  • CarvetorCarvetor Member Posts: 3
    For me quite simple and easy Everquest and Vanguard. IMO themeparks shouldn't even make the list. For me worth the money means tons of content and a game that I will play for a long period of time.
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Then

GW1 (Bought every box, never like anything about it past the original)

That is my 2cents

If you didn't like the original, why did you buy the next 3?

If you didn't like the original and Factions, why did you buy the next 2?

If you didn't like the first 2, why did you buy Nightfall?

If you didn't like all these, why did you buy Eye of the North?

That's a lot more than 2 cents.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

World of Warcraft, with all the x-pac. For me i really enjoy each and everyone of them inregardless of how ppl in this forum flame it.

This game is of course not without its flaws, especially during the shammy huge outcry, the druids, the talents etc...

But i still enjoy it for what it is, always changing, updating of animations , graphics, weird quests, seamless continent, day and night cycle ( getting rare now in mmo ), tons of professions , hidden quest giver, different starting area, level up from 1 to 60 in either continent or swap around as and when u like etc etc etc......

Maybe future devs that wana release a themepark mmo can get a clue from this???

RIP Orc Choppa

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

1. The original SWG then the expansion Jump to Lightspeed

2. Guild Wars 2

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Heh, wish we could get the site to set up a list for us. I always forget games.

Gemstone III/IV...paid my munchies bill for a lot of years, and my gaming subs well into the WoW years.

I liked UO, despite getting into it only briefly rather near the end of its first era...a few months in 99 or so.

DAoC was worth the cash...despite PvP not being my 'thing' at the time.

CoH(V) yes indeed,

GW1, yup.

WoW, yes indeed.

(insert a striing of losers here...Hellgate: London, AoC, WAR...oh god, it just goes on and on for years...)

DCUO???? CO???? Before FTP, or after??  Hard to argue with 'free'.

Rift was marginal, I guess.

SWTOR: Despite giving up eventually, I did play it long enough to justify the cost.

GW2, yup.

Are we measuring player tolerance? Peer Pressure Resistance?  Where the grass is greener? Where the grass is thistles? General Everything Sucks: Doom post?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.