Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: This Momentous Occasion

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Final Fantasy XIV launched officially -the first time- almost two years ago and was met with harsh criticism. Since then, however, Square Enix has show resolve to breathe new life into FFXIV with the forthcoming v2.0 "A Realm Reborn" version. We've got a lot to say about something as remarkable as this. Check it out before adding your thoughts to the comments.

The world of Final Fantasy XIV, as a story that was told, will fall under a crushing, immense weight that could not be stopped despite ill portents. Final Fantasy XIV, as a game that was developed, was nearly crushed by seemingly antiquated game design choices and the displeased fanbase of the game and the Final Fantasy brand, which left in droves after being disillusioned. 

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s Final Fantasy XIV: This Momentous Occasion.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MageickMageick Member UncommonPosts: 102

I can't wait! I suspect when Yoshi-P stated he looked to WoW, from what I've seen in gameplay videos, the biggest comparisons is the UI. Being it is not so menu heavy like XI. There might be other similarities like the feel of the open world but this is not a bad thing. I really don't see SE implementing Blizzard's questing system of kill X, Y and dailies... I hope not anyway.

EDIT: what I said I meant towards those saying FFXIV:ARR was going to be a WoW clone. Yoshi might have been only talking of UI but alot of people seem to think were going to see pandas and raids. Quests being the main lvling mechanic is a good thing, as fun as grinding groups in XI was fun time to evolve.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    From what I've read quests will be the main lvling method of 2.0
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Mageick
    I can't wait! I suspect when Yoshi-P stated he looked to WoW, from what I've seen in gameplay videos, the biggest comparisons is the UI. Being it is not so menu heavy like XI. There might be other similarities like the feel of the open world but this is not a bad thing. I really don't see SE implementing Blizzard's questing system of kill X, Y and dailies... I hope not anyway.

I'm pretty sure he was talking just about the UI when he stated that he looked to WoW..

Anyways.. Great write up!  I'm very excited and I'm even more excited after reading this!  Can't wait

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• DomotoDomoto Member UncommonPosts: 82

I am definitely going to try this when it releases. I have recently started following it more as news has come out. I want to see this do well, because that would be the first time for something like this.

Yoshi-p is a blast to watch, and him having a close relationship with the community is pretty dang cool in my opinion. He actually comes across like someone who not only plays MMO's (big DAOC player back when from what I hear) but someone who is truly enjoying his new job and has a good vision for what needs to be done.

It would be a pretty amazing story for a game if it turns out that this does well. I think that changing some elements to reflect modern MMO's is actually a good thing, not so much that it's all same old same old, but try and move away from uneeded systems in a modern game.

Final Fantasy does offer a great world to play in, and it's good that they are modeling that world to actually be interesting to explore this time around.

The fact that they are adding the Golden Saucer makes me overly excited, I know it's stupid but fond memories and all that :D

We'll see how it goes!

• chilltime99chilltime99 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I've been pretty weary about ARR, but, you make a good case in your "history in the making" section. After reading the article, I've decided that I should try it out. As an MMO enthusiast, I owe it to myself to be there when it launches, to be part of history. Great article.
  • DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

This is one to watch folks.

Whether it succeeds marvelously or fails spectacularly you are in for a show.

• kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45
    i think if the game works out like it is expected, then naoki yoshida deserves to be hailed as one of the great mmo producers. he has already done so much with so little and to completely oversee the remaking of a game with potential for exponential success is no easy feat.
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

If ever there was a game where players should take a wait and see approach, it's this one.  Unless, of course, all that "momentous occasion stuff" is more important to you than the recent history of inadequate game design.  

• Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170
    Still though i hope 2.0 isn't 2 years 2 late. These are all things that seem impossible to have missed with the first iteration of the game, yet they managed to do so by creating a game on a budget and cutting corners for tidy profits. Japan has GOT to learn how to compete with a global video game market and stop pretending that it is still setting all the trends in video gaming and they can do as they please and expect success. It isn't the late 80s/early 90s anymore.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Definitely keeping my eye on this one.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Homitu

If ever there was a game where players should take a wait and see approach, it's this one.  

I don't see why... at least the ones with the client already and can play to see for themselves for a month.

The others? You may be right, but I would say the same thing reasonably applies to any launch.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

how is the combat supposed to be? i like the rift, gw2 type of controls as opposed to the tera or dc universe type.

• officialfiveofficialfive Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I will give this title another try.
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

I was a fan and active community member of the FFXIV community over a year before it first released, I was disaappointed at the game when I tried Beta and was shocked when they pushed iut out so early.

But they have gotten back the faith of their community with all the work they have done on A Realm Reborn, I will be trying this title and looking forward to ite

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

I'm really looking forward to FFXIV RB, i even managed to get legacy status, mananged 90 cumulative days before aug 31st and september beta.

My pug is waiting, even thinking about starting another with a different race.

Woot..

• alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156

You explained why we should not discount it.

But why should we play it?

Hmm, Yoshi P? hmm?

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by silverreign

how is the combat supposed to be? i like the rift, gw2 type of controls as opposed to the tera or dc universe type.

I don't understand, are you asking if it's like Tera combat or are you asking is it quest like Rift

Rift is nothing like Tera or GW2, even though Tera is alot better than GW2 imo.

• TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114

If the game offers a compelling PVE experience with TERA-like combat i'm sold.

I'll probably watch the game for a bit before i decide on a final purchase, but from what i've read it seems interesting. Admittedly i've never played FFXIV, so i don't have the bias some of the vets have.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by silverreign how is the combat supposed to be? i like the rift, gw2 type of controls as opposed to the tera or dc universe type.  
    I don't understand, are you asking if it's like Tera combat or are you asking is it quest like Rift

Rift is nothing like Tera or GW2, even though Tera is alot better than GW2 imo.

the controls. i use my mouse to move. i hate usin the W A S D method.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Really excited about 2.0 . I think Square Enix will have the best mmo once this is released, well atleast I am hoping it will be!
  • skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432
    Originally posted by Tenkousei

If the game offers a compelling PVE experience with TERA-like combat i'm sold.

I'll probably watch the game for a bit before i decide on a final purchase, but from what i've read it seems interesting. Admittedly i've never played FFXIV, so i don't have the bias some of the vets have.

Don't call "vets" bias if you can't even tell what combat system FFXIV used and ARR will use. 

It's your default mmo Tab Target, nothing "like" Tera. (And no, tab target isn't bad)

In fact it was as much Final Fantasy as it could get, select a target use an attack or a strong special. People demanded AutoAttack and so it moved away from FF combat and more to your General Themepark.

-

I'm still not convinced that ARR can be a success, it missed the general increased dislike of Questhub grinding which strongly developed the last two years. SE started to change the "level up" system from a Daily only to a questgrind with Daily while the genre moved on to "event's" (either like GW2 or more questbased like Rifts and WoWs events).

And there is still this nugging feeling of misscommunication, missunderstanding what people want and what yoshi says. (Lost in transition?) Because always when he is asked a specific question concerning controls or UI he sidetracks with no real answer to the topic.

When people say the UI was horrid, they mostly refer to the usability with mouse and keyboard. Yoshi talks about button colors and window boarders when he revers to UI and changes. While it was still a topic (ui customisation) usability is also one, one which he never replies to.

It's not really encouraging either if you ask about the landscape reconstruction and if movement is more like in a real world instead of copy & pasted zones and all you get is an anwer about it's not copy & pasted that much anymore. Always only the half. 

Which makes me suspicious, did they "get" it? 

We will see..

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

This Game is Past for Me. I don't want to rehash the past. you don't see people going back to VHS or 8-Tracks. It had its run.

it's like them bringing back Myspace.... Not going anywhere. I had Fond memories of FFXI, Bad Memories of FFXIV, aqnd thats the way they should Stay. Memories. Move forward, not back.

Enjoy Playing what makes you happy. Games Rarely  make a Comeback. Now if they made it F2P, I MIGHT think about it.

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Expect this to make the comeback game of the year award. This game can only get better from where its at now.
  • DuranuDuranu Member Posts: 21
    I'm a big fan of the FF universe, my first real in-depth MMO was beta testing and playing (for a long while) FFXI.  I was severely dissappointed by FFXIV, but will definitely be keeping a close eye on this.  Would be great to return to the FF again.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I didn't see any mention of a free trial in your article.  I never bought the game after beta and I certainly won't purchase it just to try it out.  Once bitten, twice shy.