Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Since 2005 till today, is there a mmorpg better than GW2?

Comments

• Baramos79Baramos79 Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Tayah
    For me, sadly, there hasn't been a really good mmo since Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, and the original Asheron's Call.

This one speaks the truth!

• DuluDulu Member UncommonPosts: 58

You're really reaching to make GW2 seem good.

Yeah, it's better than the majority of crap released over the past 7 years. Personally, I found Rift and GW1 more enjoyable.

Still doesn't compare to EQ, DAoC, or WoW.

Happy?

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323
    GW2 is a decent game but I don't think it is the best, I personally had way more fun leveling in SWTOR, LOTR and DCUO. For me the game broke down when the illusion of dynamic events wore away and it just never felt immersive for me. Instead of feeling like I was in a breathing world I felt more like I was in a game with how scripted everything was more than I ever did with any other mmo. I can see how people would like that but its just not for me, the game had the opposite effect on me in that all this running around for dynamic events felt like more of a grind then regular questing did.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Acvivm
    GW2 is a decent game but I don't think it is the best, I personally had way more fun leveling in SWTOR, LOTR and DCUO. For me the game broke down when the illusion of dynamic events wore away and it just never felt immersive for me.

And killing the same reskinned 10 wolves 1000 times for stationary NPCs with glowing objects over their heads was... MORE immersive?

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,672

For me - Aion, played from original launch and still dabble with the ftp option.

This was one of those famous "if only" games.

If only they had  -> three things:

- made pve servers - (still with dredgion and fort battles for those who wanted to do them). Still retained pvp servers of course.

- got rid of the rng - (manastone socketing was a famous ragequit feature).

- lessed the original grind a little - (but not by much).

then it would have been far more successful than it was. Maybe it would still be ptp.

As I said....if only.

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    GW2 is a decent game but I don't think it is the best, I personally had way more fun leveling in SWTOR, LOTR and DCUO. For me the game broke down when the illusion of dynamic events wore away and it just never felt immersive for me.

And killing the same reskinned 10 wolves 1000 times for stationary NPCs with glowing objects over their heads was... MORE immersive?

It is for me, from what I remember with GW2 you kill the same amount of reskinned enemies as in other mmos except instead of doing it for NPCs or to further a story your doing it because its there. I personally like questing hubs and feel they are more immersive because there is usually a story that is involved with the town or area that is conveyed through the quests given. I never felt like I was doing anything story related in GW except following the pack and killing enemies of which I have no idea of who they even are or why I am killing them.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

I think "best" is the game that has you addicted for a larger number of hours, and when you log off you're looking forward to next time you'll have time to play. Under that criteria, and considering that I've played GW2 for 86 hours, it isn't even in my top 10 off the top of my head. Without counting WoW's several expansions, I've played 100+ hours:

SW:TOR

Aion

Vanguard

APB

Rift

Atlantica Online

Allods

Warhammer Online

Dungeons and Dragons Online

And that's not even counting co-operative games like League of Legends, Diablo III, Torchlight 2, Borderlands 1 and 2... or single plyer games like Mass Effect trilogy, Dragon Age 1 and 2, Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Dungeons of Dredmor... the list goes on.

So in short no, Guild Wars 2 isn't even my top 10 best mmo of the post-WoW era. It's still worth the money though, at least for people who have a job and can afford to take some extra enjoyment out of their money. 

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

It is for me, from what I remember with GW2 you kill the same amount of reskinned enemies as in other mmos except instead of doing it for NPCs or to further a story your doing it because its there. I personally like questing hubs and feel they are more immersive because there is usually a story that is involved with the town or area that is conveyed through the quests given. I never felt like I was doing anything story related in GW except following the pack and killing enemies of which I have no idea of who they even are or why I am killing them.

Actually, no.

GW2 has barely any 'reskinned' enemies from what I've seen. It has a lot of different types of enemies, and you may re-encounter them, but that's not the same as a reskin. Furthermore, the events that you do in GW2 DO have their own story to them. Each and every one of them. Just because people don't bother to follow the story doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Furthermore, if you went back and read the quest text of some of those games you mentioned, a lot of it is pretty awful. Most people don't bring that up, though, because most people don't even bother to read the text. They just grind quest - quest from NPCs with a ! over there head.

I enjoyed all 3 of the games you mention, but your logic is a bit flawed on this one.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

GW isn't an MMO.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by tixylix

GW isn't an MMO.

GW1 is not it is a CORPG - GW2 IS AN MMO.

Just for the records.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Anet is charging 60 bucks to play a game that launched with an rng cash shop. The question should have been is there an mmorpg since 2005 that is worse than GW2.

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78

I voted no. I enjoyed and put more time in, prior to quitting, the following post 2005 releases.

Warhammer Online

Age of Conan

DC Online

Rift

SWTOR

The Secret World

DDO

Aion

Lord of the Rings

plus all post 2005 WoW expansions.

My first MMO's were EQ and Asheron's Call which I  also loved more.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by bcbully

Here is the list. Take a look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_games

lol, I thought you were answering your own question for a second.

• SpeedhaakSpeedhaak Member UncommonPosts: 296
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

This is very interesting, many posters in this thread says TSW is the most enjoyable yet TSW is one of the least selling MMORPGs to date, and alot of other posters says they enjoy SWTOR- almost everyone I know (in guild, friend or personally) are sick of SWTOR and has moved on, and you can't ignore the major exodus SWTOR suffered early on. Seems posters on MMORPG.com are exactly the opposite of what's really going on in the MMORPG world.

Perhaps that huge exodus includes people who liked the game but essentially "finished it".

This last comment struck me. I always believed, since I started with MMOs back in 2002/2003, that the whole idea of the Massievly Multiplayer Online space was to allow it's users to engineer and conjur their own stories and fables as they journied with other like-minded individuals? Surely the very notion of 'structured' narrative defeats the purpose of an MMO in essence? Personally, I don't play MMOs for story, if I want a compelling story I will play one of a few games in an offline environment that offer me something worth while. 

MMOs for me have always been about the lore, history and conflict that manifests itself as a result of player interaction. I think one of the largest catalysts for such is PvP as it -- ultimately -- has the most prfound affect on community interaction. Some of my best memories are from Lineage 2 and WoW's open world PvP which were at the time, rewardless, and your only motivation for participation was pride and revenge. Obviously we can never revert to those days as once Pandora's Box has been opened...

Anyway, sorry, kinda deviated from the OP topic there. 

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by Speedhaak

MMOs for me have always been about the lore, history and conflict that manifests itself as a result of player interaction. I think one of the largest catalysts for such is PvP as it -- ultimately -- has the most prfound affect on community interaction. Some of my best memories are from Lineage 2 and WoW's open world PvP which were at the time, rewardless, and your only motivation for participation was pride and revenge. Obviously we can never revert to those days as once Pandora's Box has been opened...

Anyway, sorry, kinda deviated from the OP topic there. 

I agree, I was flabbergasted by the argument that SW TOR is far superior to you-know-what because it has such a deep story driven experience.

My first reaction was "but what happens when you finish it?".

It's just not what an MMO is. You can try and force it, like SWTOR, but it won't be a MMO if that's your only redeeming feature.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Dulu

You're really reaching to make GW2 seem good.

Yeah, it's better than the majority of crap released over the past 7 years. Personally, I found Rift and GW1 more enjoyable.

Still doesn't compare to EQ, DAoC, or WoW.

Happy?

I should put that in my sig.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • waterwizardwaterwizard Member Posts: 33
    WAR is better. The events are real and mean more than GW2's.
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

For my desires.. NO

I would honestly say that results on this survey will differ depending on what you like more..  End Game grind or Exploration leveling..  For me since 2005, GW2 has the best pre-max level experience.. I enjoy GW2's PvP more as well.. I do not like esport arena type PvP, so doing short quick bg's is not my thing.. If you like end game grind of repeating the same dungeons and raids over and over just to get to the next higher tier gear, then GW2 may not be for you.. 

If I could make any changes to GW2 it would be to ADD twice as many zones, and make leveling twice as long to max... The journey is why I play, not the end game destination..

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

It seems people have a serious issue letting things go, haven't seen this thread in a long time now.

Funny thing is the small number of people posting to threads like this one daily to keep it alive are the ones who are usually floating around trying to find an enjoyable enough game to keep them from having to browse the net. (Just woke up and eating breakfast)

Seen people post how it's funny that what people are claiming on mmorpg.com is a complete antithesis to what's actually happening in the real world. Have to completely agree. Does anyone remember SWTOR? How a tiny fraction of us warned people against buying that game because we knew the design and the model would not last? Or how about MoP not quite so bad but it had REALLY low sales oddly huh. Guess no one pays attention. Anyway my point is this. The games people are listing that they consider better then GW2 are pretty much all gone for the most part, they've had their very short life span because of how terrible they are, they were so bad they couldn't hold subscription numbers beyond a tiny minimum required to keep them barely profitable. (mops not included in this subscription number thing) I've even seen posts listing games that have such terrible games from SOE and we all know how those turned out, so bad that they are claiming to do a complete redo of how they even handle mmo's.

So the people posting to this thread about how horrible GW2 is I have to ask, is it really the game? really? or is it you? I'm sure when you honestly examine the info available in an objective and logical view you'll see, it's not the game :)

Have a good morning folks.

Originally posted by SuperXero89
    Originally posted by bcbully

Here is the list. Take a look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_games

lol, I thought you were answering your own question for a second.

lol, don't let them fool you I ain't taht bad ;)

Originally posted by itgrowls

It seems people have a serious issue letting things go, haven't seen this thread in a long time now.

Funny thing is the small number of people posting to threads like this one daily to keep it alive are the ones who are usually floating around trying to find an enjoyable enough game to keep them from having to browse the net. (Just woke up and eating breakfast)

Seen people post how it's funny that what people are claiming on mmorpg.com is a complete antithesis to what's actually happening in the real world. Have to completely agree. Does anyone remember SWTOR? How a tiny fraction of us warned people against buying that game because we knew the design and the model would not last? Or how about MoP not quite so bad but it had REALLY low sales oddly huh. Guess no one pays attention. Anyway my point is this. The games people are listing that they consider better then GW2 are pretty much all gone for the most part, they've had their very short life span because of how terrible they are, they were so bad they couldn't hold subscription numbers beyond a tiny minimum required to keep them barely profitable. (mops not included in this subscription number thing) I've even seen posts listing games that have such terrible games from SOE and we all know how those turned out, so bad that they are claiming to do a complete redo of how they even handle mmo's.

So the people posting to this thread about how horrible GW2 is I have to ask, is it really the game? really? or is it you? I'm sure when you honestly examine the info available in an objective and logical view you'll see, it's not the game :)

Distortion of fact like the first highlight, and it can't be the game statements like the last helped build the hype train which lead to the dissappointment of a lot of gamers, imo.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by itgrowls

I've even seen posts listing games that have such terrible games from SOE and we all know how those turned out, so bad that they are claiming to do a complete redo of how they even handle mmo's.

Think you will find that most(i'm a SOE subcriber since 1999) who have played SOE games like EQ-EQ2-SWG had no problem with the games, some have problems with certain updates to those games but in their original forms they were very good mmos. You might want to look that up.

SOE are not redoing MMOs because of their MMOs it more to do with the boring same old we have been given for years, GW2 being the latest.

You could say the same about the people posting in this thread saying how wonderful GW2 is.

Have a good day.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

IMO GW2 is the best mmorpg out there for people who dislike RPG's.  For me GW2 was the epitome of everything i find wrong with modern mmorpgs, however a great action game with little point other than just going through the motions.

GW2 does however provide a good service of hopefully keeping player out of my game that will constantly whine about anything involving effort, cries to make it all easier and more accessable to a casual soloer, and remove any long term goals that may disatisfy these players due to them requiering more than a month of play to achieve.

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

GW2 is the first MMO since vanilla WOW that I've really enjoyed.  The sad part is that enjoyment last about 5 weeks, because even playing casually, I got to 80 and "realized, wtf do I do now?".  Grind DEs for weeks and weeks for lousy looking gear with a few stat points better than the rares I easily bought on the TP?   PvP?  That lasted a few nights.  Semi-fun but completely pointless.  WvW?  That lasted 2 play sessions when I realized I wasn't seeing 1/2 the players in front of me.  100% map completion?   Going to low level zones with your 80 is boring and ultimately, whats the point?  A title?  Am achievement?  I'm not 12 yrs old!!!  Or maybe another lousy reward of greens or rares, NOT tuned to my class that  I won't use since I already bought what I needed.  Do all the dungeons?  Easier said than done since the only dungeon skin I like has no one running story mode when I'm on, so I can't even see it to get to EXP mode.  Even then, I can't imagine doing it 40 times and then when I have it , what the heck am I supposed to do with the gear?  Run around in it?  I can already see it on me at the vendor.  Weeks of grinding to run around in it, isn't so thrilling.  If the dungeons were exciting and awesome to see, THAT would be a reason, but so far the 2-3 I've seen are NOT designed well at all...compared to other MMOs.

GW2 was great right until you hit 80.  So unless you like playing dress up barbie, or LOOOVE imbalanced, repeititve  PvP or RvR where you can't see who's hitting you &  no reward structure...its a big dissapointment.  If it took me 5-6 months to get to max level, I might be satisfied.  For now, it felt like playing Skyrim.  Fun while leveling up, then you just "win".  Nothing else to really do.  I thought this was a MMO?   Luckily there is no monthly fee, because then it would be a completely rip off, but they already knew that which is why there isn't.  

Rolling an alt has been sort of fun, but its NOT the same at all compared to the first time, because now I know whats going to happen when I get to 80, which sort of kills the enthusiasm of getting there in the first place.

• SimphanaticSimphanatic Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Josher

GW2 is the first MMO since vanilla WOW that I've really enjoyed.  The sad part is that enjoyment last about 5 weeks, because even playing casually, I got to 80 and "realized, wtf do I do now?". 

Thank you for reaffirming my decision to quit playing GW2 after only one day.

I don't have anything against GW2 per se; I quit because I'm suffering from quest fatigue, and I've already leveled so many characters to cap in similar games (finding nothing substantive at journey's end), that I simplly didn't want to do it again.

The basic flaw, from my perspective, with games like GW2 however well executed, is that they really want to be MMOGs. A lot of players like that kind of game, but players seeking a real MMORPG experience are destined for disappointment upon reaching end game.

For myself, I want to LIVE in a game world, not merely play in it. That means all game components -- PvP, RvR, quests, crafting, economy, factions, guilds -- must have an intrinsic, rational purpose for existing in the world. Too many game developers treat these components as if they're plug and play. Instead, they should pull all heads out of asses, nose around the real world and try to understand the symbiosis of similar factors in everyday life. When they do this players will quit thinking in terms of run up and end game.