Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is what makes me smile

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Wow I wonder how many people are still playing GW2. I quit quite awhile ago.

I stopped playing about the time X-com launched. Still playing X-com btw, that, and looking for a potentially new mmorpg home (or to go revisit an old one).

As far as Anet is concerned though, they got the money they wanted for us, plus we don't clog their servers, which can now hold new people and people interested in spending cash shop money.

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238
    Your username is as far as anyone needs to read.

Vivik-Cerberus
  • PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
     GW2 isn't growing. It's losing players just like any other MMO has the past years.

Overflow zones were no longer necessary just 2 weeks after launch and last week when I logged in my low level ALT for last time during EU prime time, the starting zones were already feeling empty with hardly anyone around.

+1

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

First off, it's only a blog post, which means it's an opinion.

Secondly, If you want to prove that GW2 is dying, you'll need some data to back it up.

GW2 isn't dying at all.  It's always still crowded with people.

Newbie zones feel less populated (not literally empty), because it's already been over a month since launch.  By comparison, Swtor and WoW's starter zones are the same way.

GW2 is very successful, and it has it's pros and cons like every other MMO.

Welcome to the genre.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Interesting article and I agree with most points in it. I played GW 2 for about 1.5 months and even though it was initially fun, the longer I played the more I realised that this is yet another linear ThemePark where you go from zone to zone, dungeon to dungeon and PvP instance/zone to PvP instance/zone. And when you have done all the "rides" all that is left is to repeat them ad nausem.

I am now back in Tera Online, another ThemePark you say? Well yes but atleast that game has an end-game and something to keep you busy for a while and there I can play my Priest as a healer/CC and minor DPS where as in GW 2 I have nothing to do at level 80 with my fully healer specced Elementalist and I can't play as a healer/CC but have to spend atleast 50% of my time doing DPS and dodging attacks.

Sorry, GW 2 was a nice try but no cigar, just another 1 month throw-away MMORPG which makes you wonder why I just dont buy single player RPGs because the current crop, and for the last 5 years, of MMORPGs are playing just like single player games.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Some nobody pounds out an ill informed blog and people enjoying the game are supposed to weep?

The games killing it atm, there's activity in every zone I passed through with both of my alts, no trouble finding groups, and nobody wants to play? :) Are you serious? The game is hopping in every area - PvE, WvW, sPvP.

Also, they added 3 servers over the past 3 weeks. Not merged, not closed...*added*.

Do you genuinely feel you're representation of the situation is accurate? Hold that thought, don't answer - based on your findings so far I think we can all agree we can safely discount your ignorance on favor of reality. 

Man, I always forget people like you actually exist :) You *really* want this game to be doing worse than it is, and I get the feeling you have more invested in that beyond hoping to some day say 'I told you so!', which is a clear sign of some mental issues.

I'm not saying that just to be mean, I'm hoping you'll take a step back and re-evaluate your need to pull this crap and what it really says about you.

Keep in mind, if you're having to lie, exaggerate, misrepresent or flat out make stuff up to try and make a point, you're likely not on the winning side.

Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Well, what makes me smile is knowing GW2 has the 2nd largest MMO playerbase and is growing almsot 2 months into the game whereas all other MMO's usually lose players.

GW2 isn't growing. It's losing players just like any other MMO has the past years.

Overflow zones were no longer necessary just 2 weeks after launch and last week when I logged in my low level ALT for last time during EU prime time, the starting zones were already feeling empty with hardly anyone around.

But hey.... nothing new for me at least. As we've seen this trend for years now.

But I won't say it's a flop tho. They sold enough boxes and very likely already break even and made a profit on box sales alone.

Are you serious? I'd do a bit more 'research' if I were you, it's been incredibly successful regardless of  whether or not you like it or not, to pretend otherwise is absurd.

And again, unlike the floundering TSW and other recent releases, GW2 just added servers which filled up - dying games don't fill new servers. But you guys apparently really need this win, so I won't get in your way anymore. Carry on :)

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Yamota

Interesting article and I agree with most points in it. I played GW 2 for about 1.5 months and even though it was initially fun, the longer I played the more I realised that this is yet another linear ThemePark where you go from zone to zone, dungeon to dungeon and PvP instance/zone to PvP instance/zone. And when you have done all the "rides" all that is left is to repeat them ad nausem.

I am now back in Tera Online, another ThemePark you say? Well yes but atleast that game has an end-game and something to keep you busy for a while and there I can play my Priest as a healer/CC and minor DPS where as in GW 2 I have nothing to do at level 80 with my fully healer specced Elementalist and I can't play as a healer/CC but have to spend atleast 50% of my time doing DPS and dodging attacks.

Sorry, GW 2 was a nice try but no cigar, just another 1 month throw-away MMORPG which makes you wonder why I just dont buy single player RPGs because the current crop, and for the last 5 years, of MMORPGs are playing just like single player games.

Hmmm, what's changed because some of your earlier post are nothing like your above post, i'm curious on why such a turnaround?

Originally posted by Valkaern

Well, what makes me smile is knowing GW2 has the 2nd largest MMO playerbase and is growing almsot 2 months into the game whereas all other MMO's usually lose players.

But hey.... nothing new for me at least. As we've seen this trend for years now.

But I won't say it's a flop tho. They sold enough boxes and very likely already break even and made a profit on box sales alone.

Are you serious? I'd do a bit more 'research' if I were you, it's been incredibly successful regardless of  whether or not you like it or not, to pretend otherwise is absurd.

And again, unlike the floundering TSW and other recent releases, GW2 just added servers which filled up - dying games don't fill new servers. But you guys apparently really need this win, so I won't get in your way anymore. Carry on :)

Growing or not, GW2 does not have the second largest player base like what was claimed, that's a fact. And i would take a floundering TSW over GW2

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by sofakingdumb

Because after I played CB, I warned all the Fan Bois they sound silly over hyping the game. They just trolled me, and usually this site banned my account for 2 weeks and removed or blocked my threads. Even though THE SAME OR OTHER critics were writting here...or even though the trolls used super nasty language, they prefer to cover up the truth and promote fan boi trolls. Any ways... Read and weep. I think this far down the road every one knows this game has flopped already. 

http://my.mmosite.com/2281165/blog/item/death_of_an_industry_or_why_isnt_anyone_playing_guild_wars_2.html

"Guild Wars 2 was not the revolution it was supposed to be, I don't care what sites like MMORPG.com says. They can tout the success of the game all they want, but I see parallels  to titles like The Old Republic and Age of Conan. Both of those had great first time sales and the community proclaimed them to be huge hits. Both of those faded quickly, were relabeled failures, and repackaged as free to play titles.

At least GW2 did away with the monthly fee to begin with. Yet, it still feels like no one wants to play the damn thing already. Everyone bought it because they believed someone finally got it right, and while they made progress, they did not break the glass ceiling.

Most, if not all MMO's, do see a drop in player activity after that first month. Once the newness wears off people go looking for the next big thing, and the real testament to a games life span is how many people come back. I have yet to see a single friend log in in weeks, and I've checked multiple times a day just to see for myself if they do. "

Seriously I feel sad for this OP. 

Might be he want to promote his own blog? 

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Are we talking about that game that launched with  18 US servers and 24 EU servers?

Are we talking about that game that now has 25 US servers and 27 EU servers?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

If you like and back to playing Tera than your opinion is void.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

Originally posted by Rimmersman

Growing or not, GW2 does not have the second largest player base like what was claimed, that's a fact. And i would take a floundering TSW over GW2

According to that almighty tool of prediction called Xfire it has. :)

The problem is that what makes a game successful or not isn't isolated individua opinions, but many individual opinions.

What some see as drawbacks of GW2 compared to other MMORPGs are heavy pros for many others.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

The problem is that what makes a game successful or not isn't isolated individua opinions, but many individual opinions.

What some see as drawbacks of GW2 compared to other MMORPGs are heavy pros for many others.

If you want to play that game, Xfire also shows that its numbers are dropping faster than SWTOR did and the game is floundering.....

Growing or not, GW2 does not have the second largest player base like Zylaxx claimed, that's a fact. And i would take a floundering TSW over GW2

Growing or not? No, the point I'm disputing is specifically the misinformed point that it is in anything resembling a state of decline, your personal game preference has nothing to do with it  (hell, I love Vanguard and that's the definition of flop no matter how much I like it - irellevant) - you're entitled to think whatever you want about the game, what's not ok is suggesting flat out BS is fact.

I'd love to see any hard proof that the game's declining, but I won't hold my breath as server stats, BLTC, in game activity, and overflow servers alone prove otherwise.

This isn't about facts or reality though, is it. It's pretty clear some people that wanted the game to flop are frustrated to see it thriving and can only resort to childish nonsense to try and heal their wounds. 

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    How incredibly childish. Get over the fact that people enjoy the game. It should not be a personal insult to you. Perhaps you should channel that energy into something productive instead.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Folks, SWTOR "crashed" nearly a year ago.  There are (still) individuals who hate on it daily.

Blizzard opened WoW in 2004.  There are (still) individuals who have been hating on it, for eight years.  EQ2, same.

Jilted Fanboys become Stalkers?  Not always, but certainly often enough.

OP: we give them blogs for a reason.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Who mentioned XFIRE, did i  miss a post.

I'm not talking about the game being successful, that's somethinbg you can take up with the OP , i aint interested in that.

My point and it's a true point is GW2 does not have the second largest  mmo player base.

Seems you use XFIRE more than anyone in this thread, you are the only person to mention it.

Unless you have anything more to say on GW2 having the 2nd largest player base i think me and you are done.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Still got overflows in lion arch and queues for WvW on my server

Growing or not, GW2 does not have the second largest player base like Zylaxx claimed, that's a fact. And i would take a floundering TSW over GW2

Growing or not? No, the point I'm disputing is specifically the misinformed point that it is in anything resembling a state of decline, your personal game preference has nothing to do with it  (hell, I love Vanguard and that's the definition of flop no matter how much I like it - irellevant) - you're entitled to think whatever you want about the game, what's not ok is suggesting flat out BS is fact.

I'd love to see any hard proof that the game's declining, but I won't hold my breath as server stats, BLTC, in game activity, and overflow servers alone prove otherwise.

This isn't about facts or reality though, is it. It's pretty clear some people that wanted the game to flop are frustrated to see it thriving and can only resort to childish nonsense to try and heal their wounds. 

Again, take it up with the OP, me saying "growing or not" should give you some idea that i aint bothered one way or the other.

Again, ill stress why i'm in this thread, it was in answer to someone's silly claim that GW2 has the second largest mmo player base when it does not.

Everything else that the OP and the people answering him is between them.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Hmmm, what's changed because some of your earlier post are nothing like your above post, i'm curious on why such a turnaround?

Well in my previous posts I raised the issue about lack of end game and once I capped my Elementalist, decked out in full exotic gear and did WvW for hours and hours I realised more and more that this game is fundamentally the same as other single player games. Play through to content and then that is it, you quit and move on. There is no virtual world going on which makes you stick around.

I guess initially with all the dynamic events and what not I expected this game to play out differently but in the end it did not. Dynamic Events are your typical quests with the difference that they can be chained and that you need to find them on the map rather than clicking on an NPC but other than that there is nothing to it. It is not like a Dynamic Event may change the world, it is just like in Rift just a temporary illusion, and you participating or not does not make much difference because it goes around in circles, so you can simply just catch it on the next time it comes up.

I guess what I am coming at is that GW 2, like so many other ThemeParks, is a highly (dev) controlled environment with you as a player simply being a bystander with limited control on the outcome. I rather play an MMORPG which puts the players at the centre, rather than as a spectator and GW 2 does not do that.

Who mentioned XFIRE, did i  miss a post.

I'm not talking about the game being successful, that's somethinbg you can take up with the OP , i aint interested in that.

My point and it's a true point is GW2 does not have the second largest  mmo player base.

Seems you use XFIRE more than anyone in this thread, you are the only person to mention it.

Unless you have anything more to say on GW2 having the 2nd largest player base i think me and you are done.

What are you sources to the other games population sizes?

I mentioned XFire - it is a tool people like to mention to take shots at GW2 but then they don't like when it is used for the reverse.

Which is fun since MapleStory is probably the biggest MMO out there and it is only ranked #59 at Xfire and L2 is ranked #145.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Name one game that has jam packed players in starter zone after over a month after release.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Name one game that has jam packed players in starter zone after over a month after release.

Endgame starts at level 1 remember.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Original poster is sofakingdumb

True story, on multiple levels!

This discussion has been closed.