Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Electronic Arts CEO Comments On The State Of Social Gaming

firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Electronic Arts' CEO John Riccitiello had a few things to say about the supposed declining state of social gaming.

He had some positive things to say like, "The companies that are now suffering will have another day." He also commented that among the lessons that can be learned is that “Consumers won’t pay for crap," which begs the question, if they won't buy anything, are they still considered consumers at that point?

The quotes come from a conference on Friday where Riccitiello spoke on the supposed boom of social gaming. At the conference he also said that "Great gaming starts with truly good entertainment, not viral marketing involving spamming your friends to get a shovel."

[via All Things D]

Comments

• aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133

The Secret World did something like that in its beta stages. Tell all your friends, and you get a chance to enter beta and items!

I am never participating in those. It's like chain letters all over again.

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

“Consumers won’t pay for crap,"

Is he having a Mass Effect 3 , or Dragon Age 2  flashback ???

• Ex0dUs101Ex0dUs101 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Coming from the company that destroys everything good about gaming, and constantly churns out recyclyed crap, I find this quite hilarious.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    To bad the CEOs of EA have as much to do with gaming as a guy eating cake in a third world country. Its insulting and only mocks those people who truly could use it.
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Robokapp

can someone translate his statement for me please?

is he saying 'consumers won't pay for anything" or "consumers won't pay for weak quality" ?

the word 'crap' is quite potent in the english language...

he is referring to Star Wars The Old Republic

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by ignore_me

is he saying 'consumers won't pay for anything" or "consumers won't pay for weak quality" ?

lol,thats what I was thinking..

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

well played, sir.

but im serious. is he doubting that there's revenue in the market anymore or raising awarenss towards quality?

well seeing how wealthy EA is due to consumers,Im sure he is talking about quality.

Consumers said "no thanks" to a poorly made MMO,where most of the money went to voice acting it seems..

and now Consumers are realizing that EA is also putting out the same game,but just slapping a new title on them..

So I take it as,he thinks majority of consumers are retarded.

well played, sir.

but im serious. is he doubting that there's revenue in the market anymore or raising awarenss towards quality?

My guess is that he is looking at the performance of various titles that the subdivisions have made, and taken notice of the poor performance by those products that had failed to meet customer demands.

In all seriousness he is using the low-emphasis scatalogical reference here to mean products that do not meet consumer needs.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

lol

To answer Robokapp - Since it is the CEO of EA I'm guessing he is saying consumers don't want to pay for anything. But since the article is about "social gaming" I don't understand why he doesn't already know this. All of the game apps on my iPhone are free ones that I have never spent a dime on, most of them are not  worth even the .99 that some of them cost to buy. So he must be talking about me. I guess I'm wierd, I'll spend $50 on a game for my computer, but I won't spend a dime on facebook or iPhone games.

It's hard to know what he is talking about because the quote is couched next to that bit by the writer that seems to infer he is saying people are cheap asses, but what is the context of his quote? maybe I should look for the whole thing

There are some lessons that all game makers can take away from the current challenges of social gaming. First and foremost, Riccitiello said, “consumers won’t pay for crap.”

Great gaming, he said, starts with truly good entertainment, not viral marketing involving spamming your friends to get a shovel.

Riccitiello said that there are some truly great free-to-play social games out there, including some from rivals. He pointed to a competitor’s game — Dragonvale — as well as to EA’s own Simpsons-themed Tapped Out game.

To highlight his point, he called on a truly unbiased reviewer, showing a video clip of Homer Simpson tapping away on a tablet.

“This game is life-ruiningly fun,” Homer says.

^^ this seems to indicate he is talking about shitty games, not cheap consumers. To be accurate, he is also talking about social networking games, not MMOs or other titles. The general priniciple should apply, crap is crap.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

well the next line is about 'great bla bla bla" so I imagine by 'crap' he means "opposite of great".

that's what i get from the article.

Yeah you're probably right, which makes the article even more confusing. How does the CEO actually know what a crap game is? Most of his company's games are crap. Does this mean the EA actually knows what they sell is crap but they just don't care or are they incapable of changing thier ways?

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

“Consumers won’t pay for crap,"

EA sets about selling "polished cr@p"..

• mikecacklemikecackle Member Posts: 151
    EA doesnt polish anything but the rights owners pockets for a license to achieve a monopoly.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by mikecackle
    EA doesnt polish anything but the rights owners pockets for a license to achieve a monopoly.

That's absolutely true.

Beyond shovelware: Where do social games go from here?

• Whatever the reason for the slump, that "industry killing" social game force that we were all talking about at GDC 2011 is looking a lot weaker these days.
    • More and more, it appears social games might be moving away from video games and more towards games of chance.

So, just going trait up with the gambling then. The masquerade is over.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

well the next line is about 'great bla bla bla" so I imagine by 'crap' he means "opposite of great".

that's what i get from the article.

Yeah you're probably right, which makes the article even more confusing. How does the CEO actually know what a crap game is? Most of his company's games are crap. Does this mean the EA actually knows what they sell is crap but they just don't care or are they incapable of changing thier ways?

maybe they just get carried away with expensive gimmicks, i don't know, i don't think their set in their ways though, and maybe they can change things, but... we just havent seen it yet image

but yeah, i think they know what crap is..  they sure spent a ton of cash on defining it too.. image