Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do they have race limited factions?

Comments

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

They have race restriction by faction because it is going to be 3 faction pvp.

They are trying to harken back to DAoC.  DAoC had race/faction restrictions so you knew what faction you were about to destroy when you saw a troll running by.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by bingbongbros

They have race restriction by faction because it is going to be 3 faction pvp.

They are trying to harken back to DAoC.  DAoC had race/faction restrictions so you knew what faction you were about to destroy when you saw a troll running by.

I don't mind if they have 3 factions, I just think we should have a choice in what faction we choose... if any.

In addition, I don't think visual segregation is a strong enough point against it.  GW2 worked fine using multiple races in WvW combat, if I'm not mistaken WoW's pandas can be both factions and even in SWTOR you can be a race from a different faction through legacy.

Do the races they clumped together totally get along with each other?  Reminds me of the same issues with W:AR, they made two factions combined with races who really didn't like each other in the original lore.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Not really, they went with a model they felt comfortable with that could garner a good playerbase based o nthe highly successful and genre defing MMO DAoC especially seeing as there head guy is the guru behind DAoC, it became a non brainer.  Love it or leave it is al lyou can do.  Wil lit piss off TES purists?  Sure but they are willing to bet they can make head wind i nthe MM Omarket so its not up to you.

That's kind of my point.  Instead of improving and working with TES franchise they went with a model they felt they MMO players want.  How many times have we seen that backfire?

Yeah I get it, we all love our original MMOs but TES is an established IP that had an awesome core that many players enjoyed.  They could've built on to what they had instead of trying to reskin another game.

I don't even consider myself a TES purist, I'm just going by what I personally liked about the games.  Ultimately they're going to do whatever they please.  I'm just doing what I can to voice my concern.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Factions locked races is one of the reasons I'm not interested in this game. I have played TES since Daggerfall and what I got away from all the TES games is freedom. For me they are destroying just that. 

Restricting factions by race is simply an outdated archaic model. This has nothing to do with DoaC RvR.

Originally posted by Entinerint

SOLUTION #2: A little more freedom. Same as solution #1, except that factions are not race-locked. However, if you are a race that wishes to join a different faction than the one that owns your race's lands, then you must go through a loyalty quest-line in their lands to earn the right to side with them and get them to trust you.

SOLUTION #3: The open pvp solution. Same as solution #2, except even after you have chosen a faction, you CAN still enter the other factions lands. You will be kill-on-sight to any faction NPCs or players, however.

I like solutions 2 or 3.  This is kind of how I imagined they would do it.  I'm still shocked by the fact they split the races up into factions like that.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Here we go again. Why this, why that.
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Here is a quote: “it is always foolish to think of whole races sharing like minds.”

Can anybody guess where this quote is from?

[SPOILER WARNING]

IT'S FROM THE NUMANTIA INTERCEPT LETTERS - AN IN-GAME TEXT IN TES GAMES!!!

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by Entinerint

Here is a quote: “it is always foolish to think of whole races sharing like minds.”

Can anybody guess where this quote is from?

[SPOILER WARNING]

IT'S FROM THE NUMANTIA INTERCEPT LETTERS - AN IN-GAME TEXT IN TES GAMES!!!

so is this for the racial restrictions or against it?

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• uniqsnowflakeuniqsnowflake Member Posts: 4
    Hard coded factions and the restrictions this creates is the biggest reason this game will fail. MMORPG players, or gamers in general, don't enjoy artificial barriers that stop them from entering different areas, nevermind 2/3 of the gameworld. There are plenty of ways around these barriers while keeping the RvR, the devs just chose the most easiest and dumbest way possible. And once again, the hardcore ESO fans see absolutely no problem with any of this, no changes needed... good job guys, you make sure nothing ever gets improved.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by uniqsnowflake
    Hard coded factions and the restrictions this creates is the biggest reason this game will fail. MMORPG players, or gamers in general, don't enjoy artificial barriers that stop them from entering different areas, nevermind 2/3 of the gameworld. There are plenty of ways around these barriers while keeping the RvR, the devs just chose the most easiest and dumbest way possible. And once again, the hardcore ESO fans see absolutely no problem with any of this, no changes needed... good job guys, you make sure nothing ever gets improved.

Spoken like someone who didnt play DAoC.

[mod edit]

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• uniqsnowflakeuniqsnowflake Member Posts: 4
    What part of my post is trolling? And what sort of argument is 'You didn't play DAoC!', when I'm only against the way they are implementing RvR? Entinerent posted other ways to do it. I find it absolutely hilarious that you accuse me of trolling when it's you who has posted in this thread several times telling people that 'no ur wrong cuz daoc', while you haven't given any opinion about Entinerent's list. Too hard for you?

I want to clarify that I don't HATE the game nor do I want to bash it.  I'm not demanding that they change what they have, I'm just disappointed by the direction they took.  I feel like they could've kept some of the freedoms from TES and still make an excellent MMO.

I am also disappointed by the class and ability systems but from what I've read it may not be that bad.  Even still I feel they took unnecessary liberties with the IP but regardless I hope this game is successful for the developers, even if I don't like it.
  • DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    Originally posted by kolargol
    Restrictions in general are what make games more complex and deep. It forces you to learn to play around them thus adding more than just linear progression.

except.. 

those restrictions dont exist in any elder scrolls game... ever.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Factions locked races is one of the reasons I'm not interested in this game. I have played TES since Daggerfall and what I got away from all the TES games is freedom. For me they are destroying just that. 

Restricting factions by race is simply an outdated archaic model. This has nothing to do with DoaC RvR.

This.

And add to that the zone restriction, which as other people mentioned, would prevent a particular toon from exploring 2/3 of the game world.

Can't ever recall seeing that anywhere in the ES games...

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464
    Why not? I wouldn't have it any other way. It provides a sense of realism and immersion and ongoing conflict.
    Originally posted by revy66
    Why not? I wouldn't have it any other way. It provides a sense of realism and immersion and ongoing conflict.

My problem is that the races they clumped together don't even get along, they just live in the same area.  Most historical wars wasn't with people across the continent but from neighbors.  That unfortunately distorts realism and immersion for me.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Every ES game I play I hear a lot of venom when the native races address me:

"What do you want... Outlander?"

It makes perfect sense that cultures band together and form alliances against other cultures. That's what happens in the real world, historically and currently. Cowboys versus Indians, Mongols versus China, Germany 'Supermen' versus everybody. It's human nature that we segregate ourselves voluntarily, like with like.

The advancements in communication, science, and overall education of the world have really contributed to subdue that nature, but presumably the races in the game aren't as advanced as we are.

I see nothing wrong with segregating the races in this game, and I think it builds the lore properly.

Originally posted by sapphen

My problem is that the races they clumped together don't even get along, they just live in the same area.  Most historical wars wasn't with people across the continent but from neighbors.  That unfortunately distorts realism and immersion for me.

Totally agree with that, and I see where you're coming from. I'd like to see how they explain it lorewise.

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

I dont mind race limited factions...more RPGish this way.

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by rygard49

Totally agree with that, and I see where you're coming from. I'd like to see how they explain it lorewise.

They dont have to get along! thats enought when the rulers "get along" or make some pact, but that is part of the story what we dont know yet

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Nonderyon
    Originally posted by rygard49

They dont have to get along! thats enought when the rulers "get along" or make some pact, but that is part of the story what we dont know yet

All of that may be true, but it can in no way explain that other races/people are not allowed in an area, ever.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Race faction restrictions = win

race class restrictions for the ultimate win

Originally posted by cybertrucker

I never thought I'd see the day when ES fans would embrace such restrictions.  Nonetheless I respect your opinion, ty for posting.

Originally posted by cybertrucker

I never thought I'd see the day when ES fans would embrace such restrictions.  Nonetheless I respect your opinion, ty for posting.

I actually like the idea of race class restrictions as well for lore/roleplay reasons. From the perspective of a soldier, if you and your friends know techniques and ways of fighting that are a mystery to your enemies, then you have an advantage over your enemy and hold value to your allies. You would keep your techniques a closely guarded secret amongst your kind to insure the continuance of those advantages.

It goes against the way the SP games work, but that's because in the SP games your character has been spawned by destiny during the proper alignment of stars to fulfill prophecy. You're unique in the world that you inhabit. In an MMO the opportunity to be unique has to be limited, otherwise it dilutes the rest of the lore.

I actually always thought it was odd in Skyrim that I was the Dragonborn even though I was a Khajit. The Thuum and the dragon powers were historically always unique to the Nords, and now here comes this outlander who's been written of in Prophecy and destroys everyone else at it. If there are Dragonborn types in ESO I'd like them to be Nord only.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    It actually makes sense story wise. If two countries are at war, it simply would make no sense that half of the population on the opposing side is actually technically from your own country.
This discussion has been closed.