Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Updated Restrictions, from a F2P perspective, what a mess.

Comments

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Gruug

But SWTOR is going to be FREE to play. Heaven forbid they CHARGE people real money to play. And btw, you can SPEND real money to "unlock" all those things. But wait.....its FREE to play. F2Pers brought this on themselves. I really don't care if SWTOR sinks or swims after so-called f2p goes live as ALL f2p games are a rip-off!

It someone wants to carry their "Free" status in this game, it will cost them over $100 to unlock basic stuff that is normally included in actual Free to Play Games.

Aion is a great example.  The whole game is unrestrictive.  The cash shop only consists of furniture for player housing, xp buffs, and costumes + illusions.  NCSoft makes money from this game because people WANT to spend money, not because they NEED to. 

EA is just following other games .. they made a WoW clone, now they're following LOTR's & DDO's cash shop .. wonderful.  EA leading the industry?  I think not.

Nothing in the LOTRO or DDO cashshop is need to play the game and if you chose you can grind TP for those items spending zero $$.

Also if you do sub you get an allotment of TP's every month.

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138
    This is honestly rediculous.  There is no logical stance on some of the items they decided to restrict.  Do they really believe that by making the game unbearable to play as f2p it will convince players to pay a sub?
  • kulhatkulhat Member Posts: 36

Maybe this is all for the best....

The sooner it closes the sooner the Star Wars licence can be free? (I know nothing of this, solely speculation and dreams).

Maybe some kind souls can make a real Star Wars mmo.. I mean a real one with space and vastness and choices and freedom and... and... <dreams on>

... <dreams some more>

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    I honestly do not know what they are thinking. I can't imagine trying to play a Sentinel for example with just one hotbar. Maybe their F2P model is really meant to be just a paid  trial period for people that haven't yet tried the game in order to hook them into subscribing? If so, it's FAIL already and there is no point.  If I am fair in saying this game had the biggest launch in MMORPG history so far then they need to understand that the people willing to pay to subscribe are already playing or  already quit due to a lack of play value for the dollars. Just removing the box entry fee isn't going to turn the F2P game crowd on to SWTOR since none of the grind X to sell to people that pay so you can earn it too features are present.
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

The majority of the posts in this thread are people whining about not getting the entire game for free.  If you don't pay for the game, then who does?  If nobody pays, why would they bother making a game just to give it out for free?

I can agree with all of their restrictions except the hotbar restriction.  They are there to either limit gold farmers/spammers who we know will abuse the system when a game allows free access, or they limit features to encourage you to pay for the game at some point.

I have not played SWTOR since May and I don't intend to play it again.  I'm not a fanboy, but I think they are doing a decent job at converting to a F2P system to encourage more people to try the game out.  I don't see it reviving the game, though.  They failed to make it feel different from WoW and they failed to provide an immersive Star Wars experience.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

But SWTOR is going to be FREE to play. Heaven forbid they CHARGE people real money to play. And btw, you can SPEND real money to "unlock" all those things. But wait.....its FREE to play. F2Pers brought this on themselves. I really don't care if SWTOR sinks or swims after so-called f2p goes live as ALL f2p games are a rip-off!

It someone wants to carry their "Free" status in this game, it will cost them over $100 to unlock basic stuff that is normally included in actual Free to Play Games.

Aion is a great example.  The whole game is unrestrictive.  The cash shop only consists of furniture for player housing, xp buffs, and costumes + illusions.  NCSoft makes money from this game because people WANT to spend money, not because they NEED to. 

EA is just following other games .. they made a WoW clone, now they're following LOTR's & DDO's cash shop .. wonderful.  EA leading the industry?  I think not.

I think you miss the point. This game (or any so-called "f2p" game) is tauting the fact that it is FREE to play. Yet you mention that you can PAY to unlock a bunch of "needed" stuff. Wether is is needed or not is not the issue. The point is, that it is being marketed (like other so-called f2p games) as being FREE to play. The fact that EA is CHARGING for things if you are in that "f2p" category is not surprising. What is surprising is that people complain when they find out they acutally have to SPEND real money to have access to game items at all. If it would be me (oh..it is), I would be complaining that ANY company calls their game FREE to play and then turns around and trys to charge money. It is a contradiction in terms and is to me down right false advertising. Call it what it is....limit play with pay for features. Not as catchy as "f2p" but far more accurate.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

I guess it was too good to be true to think people could get from 1-50 on the class quests without issues. The 1 hotbar has got to be the oddest F2P restriction I have ever heard of. Maybe next they will allow cap your time and strt autologging you unless you buy a pass to stay on.

It seemed like they were going to offer the class quests and hope people enjoyed them enough to sub or pay for items. Guess it was too much for a company like EA. Well the bright side is that the majority of the people are so turned off either A) EA will have to cave and reverse course from the negative comments like Sony did when the Vanguard F2P was announced or B) people will never play and thus never be in a position to get nickel and dimed.

They could have made about 95% of those restrictions and it would have been ok, not great but ok. It's those last few shivs they dug in at the end that really pushed the thing into an absurd level.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I think you miss the point. This game (or any so-called "f2p" game) is tauting the fact that it is FREE to play. Yet you mention that you can PAY to unlock a bunch of "needed" stuff. Wether is is needed or not is not the issue. The point is, that it is being marketed (like other so-called f2p games) as being FREE to play. The fact that EA is CHARGING for things if you are in that "f2p" category is not surprising. What is surprising is that people complain when they find out they acutally have to SPEND real money to have access to game items at all. If it would be me (oh..it is), I would be complaining that ANY company calls their game FREE to play and then turns around and trys to charge money. It is a contradiction in terms and is to me down right false advertising. Call it what it is....limit play with pay for features. Not as catchy as "f2p" but far more accurate.

Well, like I said, I would rather see a NCSoft Aion style F2P for SWTOR.

You see, with Aion, it's not a matter of restrictions.  Aion has no restrictions.  It is the perfect model for "F2P".

EA has further perverted the concept of "F2P" in the game industry to mean you need to pay.  I don't give a hoot if other games make you pay.  I showed you an example of a game that DOES NOT MAKE YOU PAY.

What I find surpising, is your complacency that "Free to Play" means you get "Billed to Hell".  I take issues with this.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• XeoMatrix00XeoMatrix00 Member Posts: 39

This is compete bull **** 1 skill bar ?

chest rewards are locked ?

even stupid details like hide helm really jeez...

This is the worst F2P ever heard, well better said this is a free trial up to level 50. 

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by syntax42

The majority of the posts in this thread are people whining about not getting the entire game for free.  If you don't pay for the game, then who does?  If nobody pays, why would they bother making a game just to give it out for free?

Have you even read this thread?  The vast majority of posts are dealing with comparing SWTOR F2P model with other existing F2P models and SWTOR F2P lacking common F2P features.

Then again the P2P model did the same thing, seems to be a trend with SWTOR.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

I know someone that knows someone that knows someone that knows someone in EAware.  They are restricting every single part of the game in the f2p model so they can sucks as much cash out of the incoming f2players before they finish a story or two and realize the rest of the game isn't worth a damn.

And put everything cool for subscribers inside Cartel Packs so you have to spend tons of money trying to get the rare drops.

The end goal is they want to shut the game down, it isn't going the way they expected and it can't be saved because of how it was built.  The f2p conversion is a last minute cash grab.

I don't actually know anyone, this is all speculation.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

Originally posted by DashiDMV

I guess it was too good to be true to think people could get from 1-50 on the class quests without issues. The 1 hotbar has got to be the oddest F2P restriction I have ever heard of. Maybe next they will allow cap your time and strt autologging you unless you buy a pass to stay on.

It seemed like they were going to offer the class quests and hope people enjoyed them enough to sub or pay for items. Guess it was too much for a company like EA. Well the bright side is that the majority of the people are so turned off either A) EA will have to cave and reverse course from the negative comments like Sony did when the Vanguard F2P was announced or B) people will never play and thus never be in a position to get nickel and dimed.

They could have made about 95% of those restrictions and it would have been ok, not great but ok. It's those last few shivs they dug in at the end that really pushed the thing into an absurd level.

Well for me a F2P will have always some restrictions of course i can accept the operations war and space missions. But blocking even to be able to trade, join guild, one hotbar, lock chests. hell i dont mind not able to wear purple stuff. This is not a F2P like LOTR or even GW2 does. SWTOR is a Free Trial hiding as a F2P

Originally posted by alexanys1982
    i paid 60 for this game and I still lose all my rights when it goes F2P?

You are not the only one bud. :( EA dont care of ppl that spend money for the media. It plain sucks. 

• BlessingsBlessings Member Posts: 66

Ideas like this could only come from one kind of training school.

You know, its funny because I unsubscribed with around 71 mil credits on my account, wonder what happens if I log in ftp. (Hurrah for chest farming before it got nuked)

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

1. Chat & General stuff

• General chat/Trade/PvP limited to one message every minute (shared timer) - not too bad
    • No trading with other players - bit much
    • Can not send mail - overboard
    • No /who usage - just a dumb restriction
    • No access to Emergency Fleet Pass - pointless and bad idea
    • 2 hr cooldown on Quick Travel - bad idea
    • No access to Cargo Hold - understandable
    • No access to Guild Bank - understandable
    • Cannot expand inventory tabs by credits - understandable
    • No access to Section X - no idea what this is
    • No rest XP - no biggie
    • Cannot equip purple/artifact quality gear. - meh. tis ok i guess
    • Cannot equip event stuff - dumb
    • Limited to 3 Space Missions/week

2. Quickbars

• One quickbar only with 12 abilities. You can still use extra abilities off the abilities window.
    • WTF?  That's just stupid.  the idea is to show off your interface and give fully functional combat.  this is a BIG DEAL! 

Everything you post about SWTOR F2P is a whine fest.  But they really did make some dumb decisions.  Their goal is clear: Annoy the F2Pers enough to make them sub.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Boy, EA sure know's how to pull players in :/

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

I love this one:

• Crew skill that returns lockboxes do not return lockboxes. Instead, players are asked to subscribe to get full rewards.

Wheee!

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970
    Wonder how the pre-order crystals will work. Those were purple and f2p cannot use purple gear. Does that mean everyone who pre-ordered also gets locked out of their pre-order rewards?
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Nothing in the LOTRO or DDO cashshop is need to play the game and if you chose you can grind TP for those items spending zero $$.

For the most part, the LOTRO F2P model is nice.  But you can't just level to the cap for free without grinding an insane amount.  They also don't seem to be doing great overall.  they had a minor uptick when F2P first hit but I think they are struggling these days.

Originally posted by Xerith
    Wonder how the pre-order crystals will work. Those were purple and f2p cannot use purple gear. Does that mean everyone who pre-ordered also gets locked out of their pre-order rewards?

The purple crystal is low level and useless pretty much.  I'd be surprised if EA charges for that. Then again, seeing what they are doing to tank this game, I don't know any longer.   If they could charge you 5 bucks to use your CE crystal, they would.  It depends on their metrics, to see how much they can get from you.

EA are not gamers, they are marketers and salesmen / saleswomen.  If you flash money, they get interested quickly.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

1. Chat & General stuff

• General chat/Trade/PvP limited to one message every minute (shared timer) - not too bad
    • No trading with other players - bit much
    • Can not send mail - overboard
    • No /who usage - just a dumb restriction
    • No access to Emergency Fleet Pass - pointless and bad idea
    • 2 hr cooldown on Quick Travel - bad idea
    • No access to Cargo Hold - understandable
    • No access to Guild Bank - understandable
    • Cannot expand inventory tabs by credits - understandable
    • No access to Section X - no idea what this is
    • No rest XP - no biggie
    • Cannot equip purple/artifact quality gear. - meh. tis ok i guess
    • Cannot equip event stuff - dumb
    • Limited to 3 Space Missions/week

2. Quickbars

• One quickbar only with 12 abilities. You can still use extra abilities off the abilities window.
    • WTF?  That's just stupid.  the idea is to show off your interface and give fully functional combat.  this is a BIG DEAL! 

Everything you post about SWTOR F2P is a whine fest.  But they really did make some dumb decisions.  Their goal is clear: Annoy the F2Pers enough to make them sub.

I like his posts very informative. :) I'm just curious if people still think it's the executives at this point because seriously, these aren't 100% executive decisions alone. 

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

It sounds to me like they're trying to bring people who want to try the game in...and then subject them to the equivalent of shaming to get them to subscribe.

I'm not certain this is very well thought out.  Especially the UI thing.  That's just pointlessly...well, cruel.  Or the helmet thing.  I mean...really?

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Sigh...

I was actually planning to start playing this again with the previous FTP scheme...

I was even willing to drop some cash to for example unlock some species and other things to make the great storylines more enjoyable.

But this?

A hotbar restriction?

Come on...

Ah well... guess I'll spend my money on something else then.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

For the most part, the LOTRO F2P model is nice.  But you can't just level to the cap for free without grinding an insane amount.  They also don't seem to be doing great overall.  they had a minor uptick when F2P first hit but I think they are struggling these days.

It was nice except one thing, content restrictions. without a sub you couldn't even form a large enough group for the lower dungeons. It's crazy.  you had to buy the dungeons with the zones. this is why they are losing players that and their insane pricing for an expansion no larger then WoW's BC. smh

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
     I was looking at offical forums, and a large portion of people were supporting the 1 hot bar for ftp.  I think its a bit out crazy to expect this to actually get someone to want to sub.  If I am playing a game on a demo, which is sort of what ftp is.  The last thing you want to do is to make me feel unwelcome or to make my in game life complicated.  What they should do is make the game fun, where I am meeting people who want me to group with them and stuff. If I am making friends and having fun I am far more likely to sub than if you try to make everything inconvenient.