Here are the restrictions placed on Free to Play (FTP) players. More added as I discover them on the PTS, as time goes on.....
Character Creations Restrictions
Information courtesy of Settesh
- Jedi Knight – Human, Zabrak
Jedi Consular – Human, Zabrak
Smuggler – Human, Zabrak, Cyborg
Trooper – Human, Zabrak, Cyborg
- Sith Warrior – Human, Zabrak, Cyborg
Sith Inquisitor – Human, Zabrak
Agent – Human, Zabrak, Cyborg
Bounty Hunter – Human, Zabrak, Cyborg
1. Chat & General stuff
- General chat/Trade/PvP limited to one message every minute (shared timer)
- No trading with other players
- Can not send mail
- No /who usage
- Say chat/tells/groups/ops not restricted.
- No access to Emergency Fleet Pass
- 2 hr cooldown on Quick Travel
- No access to Cargo Hold
- No access to Guild Bank
- Cannot expand inventory tabs by credits
- No access to Section X
- No rest XP
- Cannot equip purple/artifact quality gear.
- Cannot equip event stuff
- Limited to 3 Space Missions/week
- One quickbar only with 12 abilities. You can still use extra abilities off the abilities window. [UPDATED SEE BELOW]
- No Unify Color, no Hide head slot
- No title, no legacy name display
4. Coins & Commendations
- Credits capped at 200k, if you are over 200k the credits goes into Credit Escrow Balance. The restriction can be only removed by subscribing.
- Flashpoint Commendations cap (Tionese 60, Columi and Black Hole 100).
- Planet Commendations cap (All planets capped at 20, daily capped at 175). This means that you can’t get some of the new relics due to the daily cap
- Space and PvP Commendations cap (Warzone Comms capped at 2000, ranked Warzone comms capped at 3500)
- As a reader point out in the comments section below, FTPers cannot obtain elite War Hero weapons since it is priced over 3500 cap for FTP players
| || |
6. Companions & crew skills
- Max Deployable companions: 3
- Only 1 crew skill allowed
- Crew skill that returns lockboxes do not return lockboxes. Instead, players are asked to subscribe to get full rewards.
- No access to companion customizations
7. Emotes & Moods
- A lot of emotes and moods are locked and there is no specific way to unlock them except through random luck at the Crime Lord and Black Market Cartel packs
- All PvP equipment prices are increased for FTP players (see example for War Hero)
- Limited to 3 warzones/week [UPDATED SEE BELOW]
9. Flashpoint & Operations
- 3 Loot rolls per week (displayed at the bottom of the group finder).
- This is currently a bit buggy as it doesn’t seem to update after every roll. Regardless, with two players, we both reached our weekly loot limit before we even finished normal mode Black Talon on the PTS (I only got 2 items). Once all 3 loot rolls are used up, you will be automatically skipped in the next loot distribution.
- If you pass on the loot, it doesn’t appear to trigger the count.
- Price/Comm increase on Tionese, Columi, and Black Hole Gear (see example of Columi)
- No operation access (but you have access to hardmode flashpoints).
UPDATE, thanks to an uproar across social sites:
We've been observing PTS closely over the last few days. In that time, we have generally been very pleased with how well the build has been performing, as well as overall reaction to the build both on the boards and in-game. That being said, based on community and internal feedback here and further deliberation, we will in short order make the following changes to the Free to Play restrictions:
We've found some crucial bugs that needed stomping, which is good. These changes will make their way to you probably early next week.
- Free-to-Play players will now get a second quickslot bar.
- Free-to-Play players will now be able to do 5 Warzones per week instead of 3.
- The Cartel Coin item lock (i.e. temporary bind) will be reduced to 3 days for Free-to-Play players, and 2 days for subscribers.
There are a couple of key concepts that should be kept in mind as you review free to play changes. The first is that, to be honest, all of you are looking at a gameplay mode that you will likely never see. Subscribers who choose to cancel their account will typically revert to something that we refer to as preferred status. My fellow designer Nathan Emmott has a post up describing the ins and outs of Preferred Status. Originally, the second quickslot bar was part of preferred status, but this morning based on feedback here and what they were seeing in the community we decided to give it to everyone.
The second is Warzones. Perhaps the most interesting point regarding the Warzones limitation is that some players have concerns that putting limitations on Warzone runs might make Warzone queues less likely to fire. While it is possible that this may happen, we don't think it will -- our subscriber base likely will not shrink much, and for some of our competitors, converting to Free-to-Play has resulted in a subscriber increase! Which means that Warzone queues should likely see improvement from what you experience in game, and at minimum be relatively unchanged in experience.
That being said, one of our golden rules is that the Free-to-Play experience should not cheapen the experience for paying subscribers. If it turns out that the Free-to-Play conversion results in a degraded Warzone experience once we go live for subscribers, you can rest assured that we will quickly make adjustments to the system to ensure that subscribers have an optimal experience.
That being said, it is important conversely that the subscription offers subscribers strong, tangible benefits over the Free-to-Play experience. We value our subscribers greatly, and they are crucial to the success of Star Wars: the Old Republic.
Thank you for helping being our guinea pigs through this experience, and please continue to keep posting your feedback on issues here. We're listening!
2 Hotbars should not have even been a second thought though. 5 WZ's instead of 3 will make little difference. The rest still all adds up to a pretty yucky Freemium system going in. Therefore:
EA should not be anywhere near a Star Wars license!!