Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Updated Restrictions, from a F2P perspective, what a mess.

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Curtesey http://dulfy.net/2012/10/24/swtor-free-to-play-ftp-player-restrictions/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=swtor-free-to-play-ftp-player-restrictions

Here are the restrictions placed on Free to Play (FTP) players. More added as I discover them on the PTS, as time goes on.....

Character Creations Restrictions

Information courtesy of Settesh

• Jedi Knight – Human, Zabrak
    Jedi Consular – Human, Zabrak
    Smuggler – Human, Zabrak, Cyborg
    Trooper – Human, Zabrak, Cyborg
  • Sith Warrior – Human, Zabrak, Cyborg
    Sith Inquisitor – Human, Zabrak
    Agent – Human, Zabrak, Cyborg
    Bounty Hunter – Human, Zabrak, Cyborg

1. Chat & General stuff

• General chat/Trade/PvP limited to one message every minute (shared timer)
  • No trading with other players
  • Can not send mail
  • No /who usage
  • Say chat/tells/groups/ops not restricted.
  • No access to Emergency Fleet Pass
  • 2 hr cooldown on Quick Travel
  • No access to Cargo Hold
  • No access to Guild Bank
  • Cannot expand inventory tabs by credits
  • No access to Section X
  • No rest XP
  • Cannot equip purple/artifact quality gear.
  • Cannot equip event stuff
  • Limited to 3 Space Missions/week

2. Quickbars

• One quickbar only with 12 abilities. You can still use extra abilities off the abilities window. [UPDATED SEE BELOW]

3. Appearance

• No Unify Color, no Hide head slot
noheadlsot
  • No title, no legacy name display
notitle

4. Coins & Commendations

• Credits capped at 200k, if you are over 200k the credits goes into Credit Escrow Balance. The restriction can be only removed by subscribing.
ftpcreditcap
  • Flashpoint Commendations cap (Tionese 60, Columi and Black Hole 100).
flashpoint commendationscap
  • Planet Commendations cap  (All planets capped at 20, daily capped at 175). This means that you can’t get some of the new relics due to the daily cap
planetrestrictionscap
  • Space and PvP Commendations cap (Warzone Comms capped at 2000, ranked Warzone comms capped at 3500)
  • As a reader point out in the comments section below, FTPers cannot obtain elite War Hero weapons since it is priced over 3500 cap for FTP players
swtorcommendations3

5. GTN

• Two active sale slots
gtnrestriction

6. Companions & crew skills

• Max Deployable companions: 3

• Only 1 crew skill allowed
1crewskill
  • Crew skill that returns lockboxes do not return lockboxes. Instead, players are asked to subscribe to get full rewards.

• No access to companion customizations
nocompanioncustomization

7. Emotes & Moods

• A lot of emotes and moods are locked and there is no specific way to unlock them except through random luck at the Crime Lord and Black Market Cartel packs
swtoremotesrestrictions

8. PvP

• All PvP equipment prices are increased for FTP players (see example for War Hero)
pvpgearpriceincrease
  • Limited to 3 warzones/week [UPDATED SEE BELOW]

9. Flashpoint & Operations

• 3 Loot rolls per week (displayed at the bottom of the group finder).
  • This is currently a bit buggy as it doesn’t seem to update after every roll. Regardless, with two players, we both reached our weekly loot limit before we even finished normal mode Black Talon on the PTS (I only got 2 items). Once all 3 loot rolls are used up, you will be automatically skipped in the next loot distribution.
  • If you pass on the loot, it doesn’t appear to trigger the count.
lootrestricitons3lootrolls
  • Price/Comm increase on Tionese, Columi, and Black Hole Gear (see example of Columi)
pvegearincrease
  • No operation access (but you have access to hardmode flashpoints).

UPDATE, thanks to an uproar across social sites:

We've been observing PTS closely over the last few days. In that time, we have generally been very pleased with how well the build has been performing, as well as overall reaction to the build both on the boards and in-game. That being said, based on community and internal feedback here and further deliberation, we will in short order make the following changes to the Free to Play restrictions:
  • Free-to-Play players will now get a second quickslot bar.
  • Free-to-Play players will now be able to do 5 Warzones per week instead of 3.
  • The Cartel Coin item lock (i.e. temporary bind) will be reduced to 3 days for Free-to-Play players, and 2 days for subscribers.
We've found some crucial bugs that needed stomping, which is good. These changes will make their way to you probably early next week.

There are a couple of key concepts that should be kept in mind as you review free to play changes. The first is that, to be honest, all of you are looking at a gameplay mode that you will likely never see. Subscribers who choose to cancel their account will typically revert to something that we refer to as preferred status. My fellow designer Nathan Emmott has a post up describing the ins and outs of Preferred Status. Originally, the second quickslot bar was part of preferred status, but this morning based on feedback here and what they were seeing in the community we decided to give it to everyone.

The second is Warzones. Perhaps the most interesting point regarding the Warzones limitation is that some players have concerns that putting limitations on Warzone runs might make Warzone queues less likely to fire. While it is possible that this may happen, we don't think it will -- our subscriber base likely will not shrink much, and for some of our competitors, converting to Free-to-Play has resulted in a subscriber increase! Which means that Warzone queues should likely see improvement from what you experience in game, and at minimum be relatively unchanged in experience.

That being said, one of our golden rules is that the Free-to-Play experience should not cheapen the experience for paying subscribers. If it turns out that the Free-to-Play conversion results in a degraded Warzone experience once we go live for subscribers, you can rest assured that we will quickly make adjustments to the system to ensure that subscribers have an optimal experience.

That being said, it is important conversely that the subscription offers subscribers strong, tangible benefits over the Free-to-Play experience. We value our subscribers greatly, and they are crucial to the success of Star Wars: the Old Republic.

Thank you for helping being our guinea pigs through this experience, and please continue to keep posting your feedback on issues here. We're listening!

2 Hotbars should not have even been a second thought though.  5 WZ's instead of 3 will make little difference.  The rest still all adds up to a pretty yucky Freemium system going in.  Therefore:
EA should not be anywhere near a Star Wars license!! :(

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    holy restrictions batman... the one skill bar would probably get very annoying amongst many many others heh

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    One skill bar? Who the hell restricts that sort of thing? Don't they want us to play it or somthing? It sounds like they just want to make it uncomfortable for free players so they sub, but i fear this sort of thing will just push players away and do more harm than good.
  • KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515

All those restrictions = No Player support

What a joke...EA can blow me!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
        The f2p launch will be their second (and msot likely last) chance to win over customers for this game...Alot of us already know going in nwo that the game is crap and not worth paying for so forcing us to pay isnt going to work either.
  • kulhatkulhat Member Posts: 36

Hey!, maybe they WANT to annoy people away, what do we know :)

All this will surely work in that direction.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by kulhat

yea im fine with restrictions but some of this stuff is downright crazy.. no hide helmet option? really? only one skill bar? also little odd they upped the PVP gear prices for F2P when you are limited the 3 warzones a week anyway...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    I can't see many ex SWTOR players returning for this. I certainly won't be.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by kulhat

This is a good speculation as to their intent.  If EA can MAKE this game fail, then they might be able to excuse themselves from their obligation with George Lucas .. an obligation which carries a high cost.

In essense, EA might be trying to get this game to tank, because in the long run, it's more profitable.  They still need to show that they "tried", which will be important in court hearings.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

I expect nothing less from EA/Biowaste.

They cannot even copy a "successful" F2P model.

• DreskestDreskest Member Posts: 69

They are going to offer the full leveling experience 1-50 with access to all the story completely for free, and that is very generous in my opinion.

I honestly see this thread filling up with all the cheapskates and freeloaders complaining that they can't have everything for free and hating on EA for being so evil and greedy.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

The one skill bar has to be seriously one of the worst f2p restrictions Ive ever heard of, and supposedly its something like $25 to unlock it for your entire account. 

This isnt f2p, its an unlimted trial that does everything it can to force you to sub, just like AoC's f2p conversion. 

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well restrictions weren't sounding that bad before minus the gear restriction and the quick bar slot access, but now... it just went stupid. Honestly I might not even bother, was thinking of it for a time filler but its just so dumb now its not even worth trying to play. The game isn't even that great to warrent this type of restrictions.

Good luck trying to even enjoy the 1-50 story content considering how asinine all these extra restrictions they tacked on.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Ugh, painful.  Way to win over all the "new players."
  • aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by Dreskest

They are going to offer the full leveling experience 1-50 with access to all the story completely for free, and that is very generous in my opinion.

I honestly see this thread filling up with all the cheapskates and freeloaders complaining that they can't have everything for free and hating on EA for being so evil and greedy.

I hope that's sarcasm.  What good is a mediocore video game story compared to gameplay?  Games are about gameplay, and these restrictions make it rediculously tedious that the classic Atari ET game shakes its head. 

We are fine with, understand, and were expecting limitations. Forcing people to play with one skill bar is removing actual game functionality from people who do not pay. You don't lock away core functionality and then say open your wallets and expect people to be ok with that. 

SWTOR was suppose to be an MMORPG.  Ask yourself if it is.

Cheapskates? Umm 2.5 million tried this game knowing that it had a subscription.  2 million+ quit.  Are those people, including me, cheapskates?

I'd pay 50 bucks a month for a superior Star Wars experience.  The fact that SWTOR isn't worth 15 bucks a month to all the people who left should chime a bell in your head.

Yes if you bought the game and thought about possibly coming back your a cheapskate.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Yeah this is bad.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

What a slap in the face. EA gives a big FU to players that think "meh I'll play it and not spend anything"

-1 Hotbar?

-Crew skill that returns lockboxes do not return lockboxes. Instead, players are asked to subscribe to get full rewards. So if you think "gee, since i can only get 1 crew skill, then I'll get slicing or treasure hunting for the extra creits", think again.

-Emotes unlock at random with purchase of cartel packs.

Amazing how the went through the list of things they could lock and pretty much checked off everything.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

But SWTOR is going to be FREE to play. Heaven forbid they CHARGE people real money to play. And btw, you can SPEND real money to "unlock" all those things. But wait.....its FREE to play. F2Pers brought this on themselves. I really don't care if SWTOR sinks or swims after so-called f2p goes live as ALL f2p games are a rip-off!

Let's party like it is 1863!

Originally posted by Gruug

But SWTOR is going to be FREE to play. Heaven forbid they CHARGE people real money to play. And btw, you can SPEND real money to "unlock" all those things. But wait.....its FREE to play. F2Pers brought this on themselves. I really don't care if SWTOR sinks or swims after so-called f2p goes live as ALL f2p games are a rip-off!

Pretty sure Bioware brought this on themselves by making a lackluster Star Wars game. 

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

TOR's craptastic F2P model should make it perfectly clear that although a player can technically play the game for free, EA has does every possible thing to make that player not want to.

Some of the things on the restriction list are just stupid and insulting....

Not that I'd care to touch TOR with someone else's 10 foot pole.

But they think this effort is going to be successful? Really?

Morons.

Originally posted by Xerith

Pretty sure Bioware brought this on themselves by making a lackluster Star Wars game. 

Didn't one of the developers say something to the effect of:

"this game didn't do well because the players are dumb".

It someone wants to carry their "Free" status in this game, it will cost them over $100 to unlock basic stuff that is normally included in actual Free to Play Games.

Aion is a great example.  The whole game is unrestrictive.  The cash shop only consists of furniture for player housing, xp buffs, and costumes + illusions.  NCSoft makes money from this game because people WANT to spend money, not because they NEED to. 

EA is just following other games .. they made a WoW clone, now they're following LOTR's & DDO's cash shop .. wonderful.  EA leading the industry?  I think not.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Sciva
    One skill bar? Who the hell restricts that sort of thing? Don't they want us to play it or somthing? It sounds like they just want to make it uncomfortable for free players so they sub, but i fear this sort of thing will just push players away and do more harm than good.

Only difference I see here is that EA isnt waiting until end game to give the F2P players something to cry about, a time frame this crowd is more accustomed to.