Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Wizard101: Still Going Strong – Azteca Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Wizard101 is a perennial favorite among many players of all ages. With this year's addition of the world of Avalon, players were challenged to hit level 80. But wait! KingsIsle isn't through yet. We've got the exclusive first news of another new world coming to Wizard101: Azteca! Find out more about Azteca in our exclusive preview.

With Pirate101’s launch, however, small waves of concern have begun to ripple throughout the Wizard101 community. ‘What will happen to our game?’ ‘Are all of the developers now working on Pirate 101 and leaving just a skeleton crew for our game?’ 

Read more of Suzie Ford's Wizard101: Still Going Strong – Azteca Announced.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ashtonian253ashtonian253 Member Posts: 1

I can't wait for this i have been wanting a new world to come out since I beat Avalon. I AM DEFFINENTLY PLAYING THIS!!!!!!!!

Do you know the exact date this is coming out???

• conenwconenw Member Posts: 2
    I'll give it a try since I have a lvl 80 toon.  Hope its not a money pit like avalon.  If it is i keep playing pirate101 its a better game.
  • alyssasladealyssaslade Member Posts: 1
    Can't wait to see the new world - I took my time getting through Avalon, but it wasn't slow enough LOL
  • StrangenightStrangenight Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I was wondering when this world would surface, 2 days ago when I did a quest in Cool Ranch on Pirate101 that mentioned the world 'Old Azteca'.  I just wasn't sure which game it would appear in first.
  • zachary123zachary123 Member Posts: 2

NO its isnt

wizard101 is beast

• zachary123zachary123 Member Posts: 2
    do you know zachary ravensword its me archmage balance :D i am beast and the new world is gonna come out in a few days i hope :D best wishes me!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • syjumiksyjumik Member UncommonPosts: 2
    thats great news .   My daughters and I have played Wizards for a few years now and can wait to take our lvl 80 chars to Azteca. Cant wait to ride a Dinosaur
  • Valkoor248Valkoor248 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Oh no, my character is only level 72 i'd better get a move on.
  • CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239

There's a suspicious number of first post users who joined the site on the same day in this thread...

I haven't played Wizard101 recently myself, though I certainly enjoy the game - it has more varied content than most AAA games I've played, and it's good to see they're still continuing to expand.

• cordelephantcordelephant Member Posts: 1
    I literally, LITERALLY JUST got to archmage yesterday. AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! RAGE! FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

Corwin Darkstone

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Cyrael

There's a suspicious number of first post users who joined the site on the same day in this thread...

I haven't played Wizard101 recently myself, though I certainly enjoy the game - it has more varied content than most AAA games I've played, and it's good to see they're still continuing to expand.

Yes indeed.  Vry strong possibility there are the same person with a different email address.  This has happened before with wizard 101 here and on other forums, even on wizard 101 central according to an interview with KI .   That being said, I think pirate 101 is a better game right now than Wizard 101.   Having played them both pirate 101 seems to have some teeth to it and is a bit more challenging in some ways.   These games are similar in delivery and appearance and its probaly fair to say if you don't like one, chances are the other will leave you disappointed. 

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

I actually played this because of Pirate 101. I had seen it on the site and wrote it off for years but decided on a lark to play it after hitting the free cap on Pirate. Now I am playing this more to get all the backstory because of the shared lore between the two games. They are both pretty fun and besides the sub, haven't felt the need to touch the cash shop yet.

Hope things stay good.

• stygianapothstygianapoth Member UncommonPosts: 185

i just can't get into either wizard/pirates cause

1) it's children game

2) it's structured and linear

3) it's f2p (meaning p2w)

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by stygianapoth

1) it's children game

There are LOTS of games that are aimed at children that are still fun for adults, besides, we live in an age where full grown adults are still playing pokemon. Videogames being strictly for kids has gone the way of the dodo. If the gameplay is solid, the game will be fun for those of all ages.  

• MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84

1) it's children game

Wizard101 does have some problems, but these aren't them.  I'm a middle-aged computer programmer who enjoys the game.  My list of complaints:

1. There is a random number generator instead of an AI for way too many minion/pet/summon actions.  It's very frustrating to watch the stupid-bots who are supposed to be helping me.
    2. Soloing has become quite difficult for me, and people are so spread out across the many zones that I can't find help for the quests I run.  (See complaint #1 too.)
    3. There is too much time wasted in battle animation, such as: useless skill activations at the end of battle, unexplained delays between animations, useless skill activation to dispel charms or wards that don't exist, time spent watching a pip heal someone already at max health.
    4. There is poor proximity detection in some areas.  I swear I've been pulled into combat while running tightly against the wall and over the plainly visible sidewalk.
    I do like the game, though.  I have a 38 storm mage as my main character.  I keep playing because it is highly structured (therefore low stress, very predictable) with very amusing animations.  I actually laughed out loud the first time I saw the ninja pigs.  The sandstorm animation with its sounds may still be my favorite overall spell.

I've also played some of Pirate 101.  I find that I only partially like it.  Amusing animations, yes, and I like the grid combat much better than the stationary circle.  I like the ship combat, and I like the companion concept very much.  I greatly miss "MAGIC", though, while watching all that mundane weaponry flashing around.  And there's so much instance-zoning that's it's frustrating to walk between any two quests. The minigames I found so frustrating that I'm pretty sure I'll devote myself to Wizard 101 rather than face them again to refill my potion bottle.
  • papabear19papabear19 Member Posts: 1
    i think it's to soon for a new world avalon just came out not that long ago. Just to let you know i do not really like pirate101 it's like playing chess. 
  • vickiex7vickiex7 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    My first wizard Victoria is level 77 in Avalon. I am so glad this world has been added! I do like Wizard101 better than Pirate101 although both are fun.
  • oldsawbonesoldsawbones Member Posts: 1
    So exciting!  Can wait to see the new world with my mega pets and fab wardrobe:)
  • ShmackpappyShmackpappy Member Posts: 75

• ShmackpappyShmackpappy Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by Cyrael

I couldn't agree with you more.  I started playing Wizard101 since it seemed like a fun game to play with my kids.  It is a very family friendly game.  I have come to really enjoy it though and it is now the only MMO I play anymore.

• goldendragon18goldendragon18 Member CommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by MellowTigger

1) it's children game

Wizard101 does have some problems, but these aren't them.  I'm a middle-aged computer programmer who enjoys the game.  My list of complaints:

1. There is a random number generator instead of an AI for way too many minion/pet/summon actions.  It's very frustrating to watch the stupid-bots who are supposed to be helping me.
    2. Soloing has become quite difficult for me, and people are so spread out across the many zones that I can't find help for the quests I run.  (See complaint #1 too.)
    3. There is too much time wasted in battle animation, such as: useless skill activations at the end of battle, unexplained delays between animations, useless skill activation to dispel charms or wards that don't exist, time spent watching a pip heal someone already at max health.
    4. There is poor proximity detection in some areas.  I swear I've been pulled into combat while running tightly against the wall and over the plainly visible sidewalk.
    I do like the game, though.  I have a 38 storm mage as my main character.  I keep playing because it is highly structured (therefore low stress, very predictable) with very amusing animations.  I actually laughed out loud the first time I saw the ninja pigs.  The sandstorm animation with its sounds may still be my favorite overall spell.

I've also played some of Pirate 101.  I find that I only partially like it.  Amusing animations, yes, and I like the grid combat much better than the stationary circle.  I like the ship combat, and I like the companion concept very much.  I greatly miss "MAGIC", though, while watching all that mundane weaponry flashing around.  And there's so much instance-zoning that's it's frustrating to walk between any two quests. The minigames I found so frustrating that I'm pretty sure I'll devote myself to Wizard 101 rather than face them again to refill my potion bottle.

MellowTigger, I have been playing W101 since early Jan. 2009.   I am a great grandmother and found this a great way to leave the real world behind.   I have to agree there is a lot of useless animations and Flashes that tend to hurt the eyes.   Wizzy has had several issues over the years and most of them have been fixed.

I did run some of Pirate101 in closed Beta and just could not get into the game.  That is one game I will not be returning to.

I currently have a Life wizard  (Level 87) purposely stalled in Azteca.  I am running that wizard back in Avalon to help my Fire wizard on another account.    Like a lot of other Players, I was looking forward to entering Azteca.  Now, I think Azteca needs to go back to the drawing boards and Test.  This World was rushed.  There are too many things wrong and it is leaving a lot of players frustrated to say the least.  Some of my Personal friends that were playing, quit after getting into Azteca and if the game continues to progress backwards, I see a lot more leaving. 

Game difficulty has gone through the roof but the gear is not suitable for Azteca.  It might be for Celestia.  It has gotten to the point that a lot of young players and their families can't keep up with it and more stressful than most jobs.  It has gotten to the point it is no longer the fun, magical game that so many started playing. 

If you are into playing extreme challenges, I wish you the best.  But I do warn you, unless Azteca is balanced and drops upgraded, there are no rewards worth fighting  for in this world.