Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game worth checking out?

Coming from serious burnout of SWTOR is this game worth coming over to?  I heard mention of F2P awhile back has that taken effect yet?  Cash shops?  P2W?

====================
Remember man that passes by,
as you are now so once was I.
And as I am so must you be,
prepare yourself to follow me.

Comments

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

Well I never played SWTOR so can't compare the two directly. Whether you would like TSW depends perhaps on why you feel burned out by SWTOR -- similar complaints have been made against both games, that once you have completed the story content there is "nothing to do" but run dungeons and battlegrounds. The three factions give some potential for playing alts, but the majority of the content is the same for all three.

The ongoing monthly updates in TSW are gradually expanding and extending the story.

TSW's business model is box price + sub + cosmetic cash shop. Comments about it switching to a F2P model (most credibly something like the Age of Conan "freemium" system where non-subscribers could play a heavily gimped version of the game) are either speculation or outright trolling.

Cash shop contains clothing, pets, displayable titles, cosmetic consumables (fireworks, "glamours" that temporarily transform the character's appearence) & account services. Cosmetic clothing can also be achieved through in-game achievements and bought with in-game money. Nothing in there is remotely "pay to win" unless your idea of "winning" is being better dressed than other characters and even that can be debated. Some of the outfits strike me as a bit pricey, but then I came to TSW from the original Guild Wars where a cash shop costume cost ~6 UK pounds and was unlocked for all characters on an account when bought.

On http://www.thesecretworld.com/ you can sign up for a free trial which lets you play the game for 3-5 days (time calculated from when you first log in: can be extended from 3 to 5 days by completing 30 missions during the trial). This wil give a feel for the game, its mechanics, the game world, ingame community &c.; obviously it won't be enough to tell if you'll end up feeling burnt out like you did with SWTOR.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

The game is selling for USD $30 on Steam currently and you can sign up for a 3-day free trial from the Secret World website.  The initial purchase includes 30 days of play time, and the subscription is $15 per month.  There's been lots of forum speculation about TSW going F2P, but the official word from Funcom is that the game is currently profitable and adding subs, and that there are no plans in the near future of going F2P.

The Arcadia server is pretty busy, and I see folks running around regularly -- that's an RP server, but it's pretty low key.  I recommend the game for it's unique modern day setting and Lovecraftian atmosphere, unique questing (with investigation and subterfuge quests and puzzles), excellent dungeons, class-less, level-less system (the ability wheel is very cool), RP-friendly atmosphere, and nice community.  A new raid in NYC is coming this month, and they've been steadily adding content with a rocket launcher, chainsaw, reticle option for combat, new missions, and an RP stage in London.  TSW has quite a few things that set it off from other MMOs currently, and I recommend it. 

Still, best bet is to give the free trial a whirl and decide for yourself.

• diaboyosdiaboyos Member Posts: 209
    Thx for the info guys.  I think I may check it out.

====================
    Remember man that passes by,
    as you are now so once was I.
    And as I am so must you be,
    prepare yourself to follow me.

• EscadaEscada Member Posts: 25

You can also access the 3 day trial, 5 days if you get enough done in game.  No cash required for that either.  Simple answer to your question is yes its worth checking out.