Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So much for events are dynamic...(and why we can never have good things)

Comments

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    (...)

this is important to you why? You have tons of options to get good amounts of karma

Are you seriously asking me why? because it kills half of the zone and i like to do DE'S but can not solo the damn Cursed Shore on my own because zerg only want to farm three events for gold and karma. isn't that the waste of resources and Anet's hard work?

And in OP if you read it i already said that i did this routine for two days, got stick to my stomach and went back to W v W.

I think dynamical diminished returns would be a solution so that they get severely punished for farming in a manner that is too similar to another manner for too long time regardless of which map it is done on, but we'll have to wait for Arenanet to implement them. It would though be consistent with their policies. 

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by LethalJaxx
    It's not much better in WvW, at least on my server. It generally ends up into groups of each server running circles after eachother capping the same points for hours. Fast Karma, yes. Fun? no.

Yep, why I quit when I realised you just go around in circles for karma and some gold. Really not much incentive to actually hold a keep except karma and gold, which you also get for taking back the keep.

Reminds me of WAR's O-RvR system which was similar and even groups ignoring each other because it was more profitable to retake a keep rather than keeping it.

Dont understand why it is so difficult for devs to design a system which rewards you to the extent that it is better to defend a control point rather than retake it. *shrug*

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

I see a fun game with plenty of potential to be more fun that is still young enough to grow (if it was designed that way). I agree with the sentiment about the 3+ Orr events and there structure. I think they could be tweeked and maybe they will be over time to provide a better user experince and lessen the farm/botting of the 2 events. I don't know if you have ever been there after a reset but these areas need to be retaken and it seems to chain to all of the pact cities in Orr.  I experienced this and it was really damn fun. For me this system can shine more, by having the events work that way. It is in the game now if they can capture it or force it or allow it to happen.

Really it isn't all the events. If you expand beyond the few events most people seem to be at. There are in fact events I can solo even in Orr. Most events can be done with 5 people. I find starting and finding chains another way to have fun.

For me I really enjoy the concept of what was done. I'm certainly biased. I used to raid, I hated raids because it was funnelled to content and funnelled by the developer. In GW2 the developer in no way funnelled you to this type of play. You do not have to get karma or gold by farming 2-3 events. IMO you can step outside the zerg and play the way you want. Enjoy!

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

How does it affect anyone if a bunch of lobotomized farmers camp the same 3 events all day long? Personally, it doesn't affect me even just a little bit - it's them who are either lobotomized, as I said, or bored to death, not me.

[mod edit]

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    How does it affect anyone if a bunch of lobotomized farmers camp the same 3 events all day long? Personally, it doesn't affect me even just a little bit - it's them who are either lobotomized, as I said, or bored to death, not me.
    [mod edit]

I would guess that Arenanet disagrees with you though and it is only a matter of time before they "nerf this" too. It can be considered an exploit of current spawning mechanics and a bypass of the "don't the same thing over and over again" philosophy.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    [mod edit]

Yeah, I have seen those farm groups in Orr...I spent like maybe 10 minutes with one, then realized it sucked and moved on.  Same thing with the groups in WvW that just go from tower to tower and beat on the door for like 5 minutes until one person that still has part of their brain left decides to build a ram.

GW2 definitely can be played in a boring matter.  But no one is forcing you to do it.  In WvW, I don't stay with the door scratching zergs, and if I do, I make sure I do something smart and fun, like build siege.  The crazy thing is, is that the mindless zerg is usually completely ineffectual...just yesterday we took a tower but ONLY because my friend and I built a ballista up on a ridge that took out the wall defenders.  The zerg would have just stayed at the door endlessly scratching it, and dying horribly because the defenders were bombarding them and build a door cata.

What baffles me is that SO MANY people choose to play this game in a boring manner, and then complain about how it sucks.  It's like...if you're not having fun doing something, then try doing something else ;)!

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    The Karma botting issue I think is now going to be a lot less severe now that dungeons and daily/monthly achievements reward Karma. Since the patch I've gotten over 16k Karma, ~12k of that from daily achievements and the rest from the small number of dungeon runs I've done. Note, this is with Karma boosters.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Bcbully started months ago complaining that everyone would quit through boredom at end game, 'no end game'. Now lo and behold that not happening, we are moving on to something else. The benchmark he often uses is TSW. As far as I can tell TSW is all about repeating content, that's all there is in fact. Bit odd.

I also said Orr was just another pve zone just like the others. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129

So i have been taking a break from PVP these days and decided to spend more time in Cursed Shore. I usually travel there only to collect ori but for last few days i have been spending more time in ORR. i was pretty excited actually and was looking forward to these huge meta events but what i have found is really disappointing.

(this is about my server far shiverpeak so not sure how it works on other servers)

People farm two to three events only with an ocassional grenth or melandru (mostly it is ignored). All these events are on timer and people just go afk waiting for the timer to end.

Zerg starts from location of Plinx events (Fields Of Gold), if broodmother is up (since it is in same area) they kill it and then move on to penitent, once completed next stop is Shelter.

Then zerg stops, goes afk..waiting for Plinx event to start and rinse and repeat. To explain what i am talking about.

On my server all these three locations are simply referred to as 'Plinx train'. 

I was so disappointed but since i needed karma and make some gold i decided to follow. I did those for a day or two and got bored out of my mind. All other events on maps are ignored for two main reasons

1;) High cost of teleports from one waypoint to another.

2;) Contested waypoints which don't allow teleport or the nusiance of running through hordes of unded to reach your location.

So by doing this not only you save teleport costs but repair bills. Not to mention quick amount of gold you make by continuous farming of these three locations.

And since Plinx, Penitent and Shelter in close proximity and can be repeated every 10 to 15 minutes it is like being in merry go round. This kills whole 'dynamic' nature of zones and events.

Who is to blame here? players or bad design which encourages people to farm karma continuously within these three locations. Also since DR has been reduced recently and they are not actually staying in one locaiton and movig between three spots in close proximity, DR is not a problem.

I have decided not to ride this merry go round anymore and went back to PVP once again. its because of tactics like these which leads to nerfing of karma by Anet.

Players. And you yourself. No one told you you HAVE to follow the Phlinx train or whatever they call it. I'm also on Cursed Shore right now, mostly spending my time in pvp tho. I have been playing the game since pre-launch and only got to cursed shore with my only character just now. However I do not care what people are doing in the game, nor do i find it necesary to do it the way they do. I just explore every map to the fullest. I never use teleports, where ever i go i go there on foot, I do the events i run across before i get to my final destination. I find the game fun playing that way and that's the only way i care to play it. It would never cross my mind farming events in a circle just so i could get karma. I don't give a flying F*ck about karma nor gold. I play the game. That's it.

So if you find runing that event circle boring, why bother doing it? I don't understand...

Oh and another thing. In other MMOs there were people that would farm the same exact place 24/7. Not as many people seemed to be bothered by that... 

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

[mod edit]

I would guess that Arenanet disagrees with you though and it is only a matter of time before they "nerf this" too. It can be considered an exploit of current spawning mechanics and a bypass of the "don't the same thing over and over again" philosophy.

All Anet is trying to do, is to get players to shake things up a bit and try out different parts of the game, when it comes to issues like this one.

Sadly, there are still a large group of players that are only interested in efficiently getting the most numbers.

Perhaps the most depressing part of all this, is that there isn't a whole lot Anet can really do to change this. Part of the biproduct of having any reward system in a game, is that some people will only be interested in farming for said reward. If you remove the reward, players will either move on to farming for a different reward, or complain that the game 'has no point'.

This is one of the least grindy MMOs I have ever seen, and yet there are still players looking for ways to turn it into a grindy game. GG

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Yeah, I have seen those farm groups in Orr...I spent like maybe 10 minutes with one, then realized it sucked and moved on.  Same thing with the groups in WvW that just go from tower to tower and beat on the door for like 5 minutes until one person that still has part of their brain left decides to build a ram.

GW2 definitely can be played in a boring matter.  But no one is forcing you to do it.  In WvW, I don't stay with the door scratching zergs, and if I do, I make sure I do something smart and fun, like build siege.  The crazy thing is, is that the mindless zerg is usually completely ineffectual...just yesterday we took a tower but ONLY because my friend and I built a ballista up on a ridge that took out the wall defenders.  The zerg would have just stayed at the door endlessly scratching it, and dying horribly because the defenders were bombarding them and build a door cata.

What baffles me is that SO MANY people choose to play this game in a boring manner, and then complain about how it sucks.  It's like...if you're not having fun doing something, then try doing something else ;)!

same found so many fun aspects in this game there is no one way to play or only one thing to do at any given point in the game.. if you dislike some portion just move to something else if you dislike all of it game probably isn't for you. If the Orr thing is really an issue on your server i'd hope people are posting on the official forums about it

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

[mod edit]

my question is if this is such a game breaking issue in Orr why are you the only person to bring this up? is there an ongoing long thread on this on the official forums?(really I'm curious as it would be the best place for this) and if so has there been any official response?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

[mod edit]

my question is if this is such a game breaking issue in Orr why are you the only person to bring this up? is there an ongoing long thread on this on the official forums?(really I'm curious as it would be the best place for this) and if so has there been any official response?

Because i haven't posted it on official forums yet but i did send in a feedback to Anet about it. That would be faster approach then re posting it on official forums again.

And why am i the only person to bring it up? maybe everybody else is ok with circumventing the original design of running around the map in order to do various events in order to save teleport costs and repair bills to maximise their gold and karma gain from repeating same three events over and over again. 

You do love to ask very obvious questions. 

Edit ; Ok it understand now you are implying that i am making this up? clever.

[mod edit]

Because i haven't posted it on official forums yet but i did send in a feedback to Anet about it. That would be faster approach then re posting it on official forums again.

And why am i the only person to bring it up? maybe everybody else is ok with circumventing the original design of running around the map in order to do various events in order to save teleport costs and repair bills to maximise their gold and karma gain from repeating same three events over and over again. 

huh? not at all.. just curious if there has been a thread on the official forums about this and if so what was the response from ANET if it's a game breaking Orr destroying issue I figured it would be a very hot button topic on the official forums

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

[mod edit]

huh? not at all.. just curious if there has been a thread on the official forums about this and if so what was the response from ANET if it's a game breaking Orr destroying issue I figured it would be a very hot button topic on the official forums

Well i was not going to psot it on official forums but now i think i should... maybe it is better this way. 

Oh and you always need just one guy to bring an issue to light some times.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Connmacart
    Originally posted by Dulu

Just awful design.

They had to know this was coming. Can't see why people are still playing this awful game.

Tell me, how many games don't have this problem when it comes to acquiring points for something or other. 

Not many MMO's don't, but then that goes directly to his point.

If players can fully expect things like that to happen, then certainly the devs should, hence... they should have seen it coming.

[mod edit]

Well i was not going to psot it on official forums but now i think i should... maybe it is better this way. 

true and the official forums will at least get this to the devs in another route if its spread on more servers I'm sure others will have noticed the same thing and will get more of a response.. here all you will get is arguments and pretty much nothing else..

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Pretty much the whole "Dynamic Event" deal boasted by GW2 is just glitter and sparkels.

Originally posted by TangentPoint

Just awful design.

They had to know this was coming. Can't see why people are still playing this awful game.

Tell me, how many games don't have this problem when it comes to acquiring points for something or other. 

If players can fully expect things like that to happen, then certainly the devs should, hence... they should have seen it coming.

issue is all games have some form of something that in some way can be "exploited" or done not in its original purpose.. there is no possible way for a development team to come even close to anticipating every angle of every situation on this sort of thing.. but the big thing is if they do become a large issue people should be communicating with the developers as best they can to bring the issue to their attention.

Originally posted by Foomerang

I think this is really interesting. You guys preach about playing the game your way and just play to have fun, why choose to play in a boring manner etc. And yet before gw2, you complained about all these wow clones forcing you to raid or making you wait hours for groups waah waah waaah. Meanwhile there are literally millions of people playing the exact same mmos they way they wanted and having fun. Im glad gw2 came along and opened your eyes. Now you see what weve been dealing with all these years haha.

Do you honestly not see the difference between the two games?

WoW (and thusly WoW-Clones) funnels your game experience into a very narrow endgame experience. This is primarily enforced through gear progression. If you want to be viable at 'endgame' you need to get better gear, which is usually kept from you behind a long grind / RNG system. It doesn't matter how you want to play, everyone is forced to do this. If you are only interested in PvE, you need to get better gear. If you just want to PvP, you need to get better gear. WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Rift, Aion, etc. etc. etc. all these games have the exact same problem in that regards.

In GW2, you can literally do a MUCH wider variety of things in the game. You aren't ever forced to grind for gear. People just choose to do this anyway. If you want to PvP you immediately have the best equipment in the game @ lvl 2, if you want to PvE you are literally handed all the gear you will ever need just by playing the game. If you hit 80 and want 'the best' gear you can craft it, or buy it off the TP for really cheap. If you want dungeon gear, those aren't that hard to get either (especially if you have more than 1 character).

People playing GW2 in the same fashion as they would WoW are very much doing it by their own choosing. Many don't even realize this. GW2 doesn't force you to play like that, but people still choose to funnel their GW2 experience into a very narrow list of chores. That is why they aren't having fun, and that is why some of us find it absurd for them to be complaining.

• ByntBynt Member Posts: 35

That is what you do in Cursed Shore though, you just farm events.  After you go there for one night, you see all the events and then thats it, you seen it all.  The other issue is that Grenth is hard compared to that circuit you showed and so is that other meta event with the priestess or whatever.  If you just want loot and karma, that is the fastest way to get it.  People are like water, we always go the easiest route to get something. 

Here is a tip, if you only want the karma, you only need to do about 10K damage at an event to get gold status and when it finishes, no matter where you are in the zone, you still get credit for it.

You also forgot to mention that Plinx will help you complete both arena events and the broodmother event, just drag those fights to him and he can tank them for you, makes it even faster when you get the respawn timers all lined up that way.

Those are fun fights though and I enjoyed them, very original concepts.  I also like the challenge of when you get the 42,000 karma saved up, the armor merchant is never up and you gotta get people to help do the entire chain, makes it exciting!

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

Just awful design.

issue is all games have some form of something that in some way can be "exploited" or done not in its original purpose.. there is no possible way for a development team to come even close to anticipating every angle of every situation on this sort of thing.. but the big thing is if they do become a large issue people should be communicating with the developers as best they can to bring the issue to their attention.

Well... I can agree with you to a point. They can't cover "every angle", but when it comes to rewards earned, in terms of gold, honor, rep, or what-have-you... developers should certainly expect that people are going to be finding the best way to min-max their gains on those things.

I was just remarking on the idea that any developer creating a MMO in the past 5-6 years at least should fully expect that if there's something in their game that can be (ab)used the way the OP's example is, players are going to abuse it, because more than anything else, many MMO gamers are 100% rewards-driven. I would hope that if they do find it to be an issue, they have the means to correct it rapidly without pissing people off in the process.

For all we know, ANet were fully aware people could do that and are okay with it. For all we know, they know of several other similar setups that players haven't figured out yet, and are okay with those, too.

That said, I can fully understand the OP's frustration, and I think that the meat of his complaint has been sidelined and overtaken by the (ever abused) "why do you care how other people play the game?" argument. He's explained that it's because people have found a "path of least resistance", leaving other content in that area, which he'd rather be doing, untouched. I can relate to that perfectly, and I'm sure others can as well. I'd be surprised if there's even one person reading/responding in this thread who hasn't experienced a similar situation, whether in GW2 or elsewhere.

I went back to FFXI expecting to pick up where I'd left off and finish up a bunch of loose-end content I'd never gotten around to. What I found was everyone telling me not to bother with that content anymore because Abyssea was the only thing worth doing. Areas that had once been bustling and active were ghost-towns because Abyssea had rendered them obsolete. I found myself in the same situation as the OP, unable to participate in content I wanted to do because no one else was interested in doing it, and it was too difficult to solo.

And if that's happening in GW2, and it's resulting in other content to be overlooked or ignored, then I certainly think it's someting ANet should look into.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Foomerang I think this is really interesting. You guys preach about playing the game your way and just play to have fun, why choose to play in a boring manner etc. And yet before gw2, you complained about all these wow clones forcing you to raid or making you wait hours for groups waah waah waaah. Meanwhile there are literally millions of people playing the exact same mmos they way they wanted and having fun. Im glad gw2 came along and opened your eyes. Now you see what weve been dealing with all these years haha.
    Do you honestly not see the difference between the two games?

WoW (and thusly WoW-Clones) funnels your game experience into a very narrow endgame experience. This is primarily enforced through gear progression. If you want to be viable at 'endgame' you need to get better gear, which is usually kept from you behind a long grind / RNG system. It doesn't matter how you want to play, everyone is forced to do this. If you are only interested in PvE, you need to get better gear. If you just want to PvP, you need to get better gear. WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Rift, Aion, etc. etc. etc. all these games have the exact same problem in that regards.

In GW2, you can literally do a MUCH wider variety of things in the game. You aren't ever forced to grind for gear. People just choose to do this anyway. If you want to PvP you immediately have the best equipment in the game @ lvl 2, if you want to PvE you are literally handed all the gear you will ever need just by playing the game. If you hit 80 and want 'the best' gear you can craft it, or buy it off the TP for really cheap. If you want dungeon gear, those aren't that hard to get either (especially if you have more than 1 character).

People playing GW2 in the same fashion as they would WoW are very much doing it by their own choosing. Many don't even realize this. GW2 doesn't force you to play like that, but people still choose to funnel their GW2 experience into a very narrow list of chores. That is why they aren't having fun, and that is why some of us find it absurd for them to be complaining.

It doesnt have anything to do with the games themselves. It never has. Having fun is entirely up to players and their perceptions. Gw2 changed a lot of peoples perpective on fun. Apparently not enough to acknowledge other peoples perspectives but maybe down the road that will come :)

So i have been taking a break from PVP these days and decided to spend more time in Cursed Shore. I usually travel there only to collect ori but for last few days i have been spending more time in ORR. i was pretty excited actually and was looking forward to these huge meta events but what i have found is really disappointing.

**snip**

Who is to blame here? players or bad design which encourages people to farm karma continuously within these three locations. Also since DR has been reduced recently and they are not actually staying in one locaiton and movig between three spots in close proximity, DR is not a problem.

I have decided not to ride this merry go round anymore and went back to PVP once again. its because of tactics like these which leads to nerfing of karma by Anet.

Honestly, if you think about it, what can Anet really do to 'fix' such an issue?

The problem comes from the player mentallity that they must grind rewards out of a game before moving on to the next. It made sense for most other MMOs, but GW2 just isn't really built that way.

The problem lies in that with ANY reward system, you will have players that try and rush through the system to get the reward. It doesn't matter how trivial the reward is, this is bound to happen, and players will always look for the most efficient method of doing so.

If Anet removes the reward, these people will just move on to a new reward, or complain that there is 'nothing to do' (or both). If Anet was to make the events more complex, more intricate, etc. Players would skip them and focus on the most simplistic events they can find. So, what can you really do?

Even though this game is fairly light on the rewards, people will still play it like a gear grind game.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

Everything is a whine and agenda to you and yes it bothers me because it leaves rest of the zone empty and useless. Leaving me wtth  option to go back to W v W or just stick to go on merry go round between three events. if other events scaled well according to small group size we would not be having this problem of following the zerg.

Do me a favor and next time don't post in my topic if you got nothing better to say. Thank you...remember you can always ignore the 'whine'. Like i am going to ignore you.

Bye bye now.

Oh dood ,,,,you did realize that posting on this forum wouldnt do diddle for your concern. The programmers arent alt tabbing and reading all this drivel. Posting in their forum would make this a ton easier for them to see. AND maybe bring some ones attention to it versus the usual, bored ,mmorpg folks reading your posts and loading their vernacular guns.