Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] The Elder Scrolls Online: Reveling in the Combat

2»

Comments

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Sorry but combat for me in the ES series is one of the weak points.. Now that I think deeper, if the ES series wasn't open world but use the same combat as it does now, would most still find it appealing..
    I haven't seen anyone say the play the ES series because the combat was good.. I think more than not its the adventuring in first person and the open-worldness that got person hook, plus the addiction of you making and playing your char anyway you want..
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I remember being stoked about Age of Conan's combat system....

From what I've heard of this game so far, it seems to be much like SWTOR. Why is everyone so excited?

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

Originally posted by Koddo

If bethesda had programmed it, it would be bad still. Severely bug ridden with them feigning ignorance and no real fixes.

And you keep stating it's tab targeting, but there have been two articles now that have stated they are getting rid of that system and moving to the "real-time" system you are talking about. It really seems like you are selectively reading and therefore biased.

I think you have misread those articles or do not understand what they are doing, its not real time free aim combat.. for info on what that is play a TES game.  What they have stated and what Mr Fuller has state is a hybrid tab target system with mouse over aiming...please go watch a tera combat video or GW2 melee where you have to be facing the tab targetted enemy.  

There is a big misconception of what they are bringing to the table, they are NOT bringing in an FPS view nor completely free aim, they are bringing in a mouse over system...which is better than just a tab target but still crap imo.  If you liked Tera's combat then i think youll like TES online combat, i for one do not.

But again, there is no where in any article that says they went back due to community uproar and changed it to a TES FPS or free aim combat system which is what makes TES combat and always has.  They improved it yes due to how many people were complaining about it.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

From what I've heard of this game so far, it seems to be much like SWTOR. Why is everyone so excited?

A few reasons

1- There are those that go image over anything ES

2- There are those that  image over any new MMO

3- Those that image over any new Themepark

4- and then there is the image:hype:image:hype:image of the Massive Marketing Train on this website and others like it.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Originally posted by Xstatic912
    Sorry but combat for me in the ES series is one of the weak points.. Now that I think deeper, if the ES series wasn't open world but use the same combat as it does now, would most still find it appealing..
    I haven't seen anyone say the play the ES series because the combat was good.. I think more than not its the adventuring in first person and the open-worldness that got person hook, plus the addiction of you making and playing your char anyway you want..

Early on very true, TES games liek morrowind and daggerfall were simply about the immersion to me.  But i did enjoy the combat in oblivion and even more so obviously in Skyrim.  For me the combat is secodnary thing, but from what we have heard TES online will carry nothing that a TES gameis about aside from the lore.

I mean can you imagine being forced through a linear world within a TES game? would be the biggest letdown i could experience.

IMO there is good reason Bethseda didnt make this title themselves and as well as big dollars from selling the rights.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Good article. Glad they are getting the information out front, this game had been quiet after it was announced.  Please stop trying to predict what the game will be and take what you read with a grain of salt.  These articles are not gospel but attempts to give you insight into what they plan to do from their perspective.  We can (properly) speak on its implementation (or lack thereof) AFTER the game is delivered and we are PLAYING it.  Until then none of us know anything.

In terms of the game, Im not a fan of real-time combat in an RPG.  They conflict in my eyes.  And its combat that going to make this game crash or burn for me.  Willing to give it a chance. Cant wait to play it.

Does anyone know what the payment model is?  Is it F2P+CS?  B2P? B2P+CS? etc.

Thanks,

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

The information was out there even before this.

People just instantly claimed the game as WoW clone with the same fate as SWTOR.

o/

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    if they are changing up combat and making it more like TES series then why would people bash them for listening to their fans? I mean seriously some of these posts here are not realistic and just stupid . Why complain if they are listening to your feedback and trying to make a game like some of you guys actually want? Why because its not a sandbox? Get over it already and just try and give them imput they can actually use instead of just complaining about the game.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

A few reasons

1- There are those that go image over anything ES

2- There are those that  image over any new MMO

3- Those that image over any new Themepark

4- and then there is the image:hype:image:hype:image of the Massive Marketing Train on this website and others like it.

lmao so true, thx sir.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Too much text, I wait for the videos. XD

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    WTB PvP vid of TESO, or hell even a PvE one showing the combat
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Mike-McQueen
    It's funny too that they change their targeting system after the uproar in hopes to quench the flames that are burning their ass.

Why is it 'funny'?

Surely we should be applauding devs that are agile and attentive enough to take on concerns and act on them?

Saying that, still really not interested in this game.

I agree.  I don't get where the "I told you so" moment is.  I don't think testing many combat mechanics and styles is a standalone instance here.  Cryptic said they tried 3 or 4 different combat types when they were in early development for Neverwinter.  The fact that negative feedback resulted in a change should be acknowledged and supported.  Look at what happened with FFXIV when they didn't do that.

Also not sure how interested I am in this game.  Is it going to be sub-based? Deal breaker for me.  Is it going to be raid-centric for progression like RIFT, EQ2, and WoW?  Deal breaker.  Is it going to have contrived factions that I can't get rep for?  A definite negative.

Some positives, for me, would be: a more action oriented combat, single server technology, useful crafting, open feeling to game play and exploration, a well designed housing system, and B2P.

Though we know we feel very differently about the cash shop thing, and that's fine, I fully agree with you on the other things. The impression that I am getting that it is class/ lvl/ gear based PvP also sucks any interest I might have out of it for me. 

Saying that, if the housing really is robust and the crafting well done, and it is actually a group focused game throughout rather then solo except for the odd dungeon here and there... well, they may be able to spark it again.

I'm not down on the game, but it just hasn't excited me yet. It all seems so... mundane right now. We shall see though.

I have said it before, but I would rather see a mod or something that updates and stitches together all the lands, strips out the main plots, and provides all the features of the single player TES games (housing, crafting, mods) in a multiplayer format that we can locally host (NWN style) then what's being offered up here right now. A part of me just thinks this MMO is kinda redundant. Hopefully that will change though.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

well it has some aspects of GW2 and additionaly much more good staff

from GW2: skills binded to weapons, casting while moving, limited skills on hotbar..

plus awesome you can wear whatever armor you want !!!

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by loulaki

from GW2: skills binded to weapons, casting while moving, limited skills on hotbar..

Plus, no lock-on skills and you have to aim to hit.

Love it.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Doesn't matter how good the combat is.

The pvp will suck if the guy you are fighting can just switch to another shard.

Stupid bloody megaserver idea.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Doesn't matter how good the combat is.

The pvp will suck if the guy you are fighting can just switch to another shard.

Stupid bloody megaserver idea.

Not sure what the megaserver has to do with anything regarding PvP.

Take GW2 for example. That game has a normal server design, yet they have huge issues with people (entire guilds) hoping to the winning server each week.

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by znaiika
    Originally posted by loulaki

Plus, no lock-on skills and you have to aim to hit.

Love it.

Hm, Massively claimed you couldn't even avoid projectiles.

I'm admittedly a bit disappointed that there's no real-time hit detection, so you can't simply swing your sword and hit the enemies in the arc of the blade, and there doesn't seem to be any way to dodge incoming projectiles. - Massively

Everything I've read so far would point to a combat system that's not as action oriented as TERA or even Guild Wars 2, but we'll see. I too love that any class can wear any armor. Very few games go this route and it's a shame.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

AH.! the TESO combat,

first u pay some journalist to spin off ur game generating the Combo Field Hype: Dark *hit

once the some  features are revealed the ES fans get banned to the deep of oblivion

then the themepark hoppers and content locusts play 1-3 weeks, get disapointed, and come to forums bash the game and w8 for the next big thing, generating the Combo : SHITSTORM  killing the beast for good.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

AH.! the TESO combat,

first u pay some journalist to spin off ur game generating the Combo Field Hype: Dark *hit

once the some  features are revealed the ES fans get banned to the deep of oblivion

then the themepark hoppers and content locusts play 1-3 weeks, get disapointed, and come to forums bash the game and w8 for the next big thing, generating the Combo : SHITSTORM  killing the beast for good.

All the while generating 0.1$ per page-click.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

I remember being stoked about Age of Conan's combat system....

I'm not excited one bit, the reading is on the wall, when a developer say housing is too hard to make .... you know that's them saying "we're lazy" so were going to copy the MMO flavor of the month and slap TES on the box, considering most of the features they deemed to "hard" to make exist today in several MMO's so basically from what they said tells me "We're to lazy to make a full fledged MMORPG with all the bells and whistles, instead were going to give you more of the same thing you played and left in last 5 MMO releases!!"