Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Future of MMORPG.com

neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

Anyone else feel like this is the future of MMORPG.com? Just curious....

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I guess I missed something. I've never seen that or anything remotely like it. Are there currently ads on the forums that I'm not seeing?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

lol yeah if you don't sign in there are ads on every forum page, if your signed in though you can't see them.

It is funny though.

** I should also add that I made that page with photoshop using all the various ads from a post I was reading a few minutes ago while not signed in.

Not that I care, I just feel like we as consumers are already OVER satuarted with advertisements as it is, and now if we don't sign in, and just want to catch a quick read we have to look at even MORE ads on every single post and page we read. I was just wondering when does it ever end. What is the line and when do you feel companies cross that line...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Hmm, my browser automatically logs me in when I open the page... you should get yourself something like it, amazing tool really.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AccountDeleted12341AccountDeleted12341 Member Posts: 351
    Originally posted by neonaka

Are you serious? MMORPG.com is perhaps the #1 most ad-hungry, greedy website I've ever been on.

You goto the mainpage at any day of the year, and theres about 3-4 smaller ads playing while the entire website is envelopped in a HUGE, often sexist (skimpy women) korean grinder ad that covers the entire page in a 360 angle.

This place is the epitome of sell-out. Even as I type this... on my 1920x1200 screen, about 400x400 is the forum text, about 200x400 is a few other things, and 99% of the rest of pixels are ads.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    I think the future of this website is to continue to cover games that aren't MMOs, blurring the lines to the point where this is just a general gaming website. That, and continue to give out shill previews to all big budget games while taking a giant dump on any good indie games.
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

It was worse...oh, a month or two back.  I don't remember exactly when but I stopped coming here for while because of it.  For a while there your entire screen was taken up by ads which annoyingly followed as you scrolled down leaving just a tiny little space at the bottom of your screen which you could peek through to try to read the forums.

That was ridiculous.  I don't mind ads but if I can't see the stuff I actually came here to see then what's the point in coming here at all?  And no I'm not going to be coerced into logging in every time I come here.  Just for the simple fact that I shouldn't have to.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Ad-block is your friend, surprisingly though it cannot block all of the ads.
  • neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

That was really my point in doing this. I just feel not only we as consumers but just as people are so over saturated and constantly bombarded with companies trying to sell us stuff do others feel like I do that enough is really enough. I would just like to be able to walk down a sidewalk for once without my brain turning to mush trying to comprehend all the brandnames I am being pushed.

It gets tiring.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Future? That has been happening for a few months now, lol.

Sad thing is, the ads wouldn't bother me if they seemed to be spending more of that revenue on updating their site.

The games list is still horribly outdated. The news section is still very lackluster. There are some decent threads on here, but it's still a haven for trolls and flamers. Sadly, there isn't much competition when it comes to general gaming forums for MMOs.

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by Disatisfied9

Are you serious? MMORPG.com is perhaps the #1 most ad-hungry, greedy website I've ever been on.

You goto the mainpage at any day of the year, and theres about 3-4 smaller ads playing while the entire website is envelopped in a HUGE, often sexist (skimpy women) korean grinder ad that covers the entire page in a 360 angle.

This place is the epitome of sell-out. Even as I type this... on my 1920x1200 screen, about 400x400 is the forum text, about 200x400 is a few other things, and 99% of the rest of pixels are ads.

And how exactly would you like them to pay for the website? geez some people!

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Just so you know.  The advertiser is a 5 star advanced member!!!
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by Deathenger

I would suggest to them to start hawking Jackets instead of T-shirts on the next new mmo.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    I think the future of this website is to continue to cover games that aren't MMOs, blurring the lines to the point where this is just a general gaming website. That, and continue to give out shill previews to all big budget games while taking a giant dump on any good indie games.

I dont see any evidence of dumping on Indie games.  However I dont think there is such a thing as a good indie game, sure some may like it but I think indie games are to niche and dont offer ner enough appeal to the average gamer.  I have never heard of one good indie game myself that was worth checking out.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Deathenger

This and:

Cnrl+<forward scroll>

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    This site has been on the downfall about 2006.
  • MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

Just use AdBlock Plus.  I know that the original image was a mock up, but this site is pretty bad with the advertisements.  I used to have ABP disabled here but nah.  I got tired of clicking on them by accident because I was trying to give the window focus.

It's pretty sad when you need to use keyboard navigation to get around a site because there are so many ads. :P

Edit:  That or switch to Massively, which is what I did, and put MMORPG.com on the back burner.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    I am signed in and can see ads, at least they are tasteful and not blowing up all over the place like on an anime watching site or something. Heck one reminded me that i have been meaning to play WoT again and see how badly they nerfed my Marder II (possibly ending up in finding a new favorite tank destroyer).