Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Origins Of Malu: Burning Dog Speaks Out

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Origins of Malu is creating quite a stir in the community. Burning Dog has partnered with MMORPG.com to bring our readers a terrific update on what the Origins of Malu team has been working on lately. Penned by President and CEO Michael Dunham, it's a read you will not want to miss! Leave us your thoughts in the comments.

The last couple of months we have made a commitment to update the community with more in-depth information about the latest Origins of Malu developments. This update includes a look into our different areas of progress, so have a seat, and grab some popcorn!

Read more of Michael Dunham's Origins of Malu: Burning Dog Speaks Out.

Kickstarter Update: Looks like Burning Dog was able to secure funding from outside sources, less than 24 hours after posting their Kickstarter.  They won't need the money from Kickstarter after all.  The crowd-funding plan is being taken down, and any folks who did pledge will receive a ton of benefits when the game goes live.  For more info, read Michael's post HERE.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    The name Burning Dog I find very distasteful. What type of people must they be to think that's a reasonable name to go by?
  • VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    Sounds interesting, keeping my eye on this one.
  • PerfectBlendPerfectBlend Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by IAmMMO
    The name Burning Dog I find very distasteful. What type of people must they be to think that's a reasonable name to go by?

Riots and Blizzards are both worse than Burning Dogs imo

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by PerfectBlend

Are you really that daft?  Riot and Blizzard are just neutral words and doesn't directly relate to pain and suffering and horrible death.

Burning Dog is distasteful as it directly relates to an innocent animal undergoing terrible pain and facing a horrible death.

• SimonSaysBakSimonSaysBak Member CommonPosts: 15
    looks awezome!
  • originsmmooriginsmmo Member Posts: 1

Some information of the origin of that name (Burning Dog), first being a dog lover and having pets (a english mastiff and rescue mix mutt) we do love dogs and having been around dogs my entire life I value my pets more so then most people. The logo itself is a cartoon and not to be taken seriously just in good fun, Burning Dog has donated regularly to help out animals in need. There is alot more to the origin as well as myself and the art director came up with our crazy name about 10+ years ago.

So back to the game now and let us know what we are doing wrong and how we can make it make it better, we may not agree but we will listen closely!

Cheers,

Michael Dunham

• tauthetauthe Member Posts: 5
    Each article has more and more features, so can not wait for the game to come and I can give it a whirl. Their new video about the swamps is amazing. (you have to scroll down the page for a bit) http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/burningdog/epically-large-battles-sandbox-baked-goodness
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

this game is definitely one I am following, I feel your Kickstarter goal is just way way too high.  Its better to set it low and get something that can help the company.

between OOM and Citadel of Sorcery, these are 2 games I am very looking forward to, COS also set their target very high, and has not even come close 35k/700k.  I am not saying you guys are the same, maybe you will do better, but I just dont see the MMOrpg players as a group who will be forking over alot of cash up front after a) being burned on so many titles, and b) knowing they are going to have to pay even more later via sub or cash grab (cough shop).

I think the one thing that I do like if I am going to be able to KS a game is a lifetime access at highest level available.  I buy years at a time in some games, lifetime subs in other games, just so I dont feel like I have to play every day to get my moneys worth

keep up the good work though, I dont want to be discouraging

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Are you really that daft?  Riot and Blizzard are just neutral words and doesn't directly relate to pain and suffering and horrible death.

Burning Dog is distasteful as it directly relates to an innocent animal undergoing terrible pain and facing a horrible death.

Look them up before you post.

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

For the first time in my life, I think this will be my first pledge to a Kickstarter project! Everything about the game sounds promising and I think this could be a game I would love in the future. I love the style, the features they are talking about and got really hyped after seeing the video/reading about the game!

I mean, 25$ is not that much (esp in Swedish kronor) and that amount also give you a copy of the game. I help them with the project and recieve something well wort the money (as it seems). That is win/win! So, I am looking forward to this! :)

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

It's no different than the Burning Legion... They weren't actually "burning", it's just a metaphore to convey a state. Burning dog doesn't mean a dog is on fire, and if it were a dog on fire, it would probably be an undead dog that wants to tear your face off before you call PETA.

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101

You read it as you want to, im thinking it's either a cute core hound pup or some fucked-up rottweiler that bit a child to death and deserves a fiery end to it's twisted life.

Either way, it's a fucking name, and they seem like pretty cool people.

On a relevant note; they're nuts to thuink they're going to reach their kickstarter goal in 44 days, no way man, won't even be close.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

Wow you people are just silly.  Enough of this PG crap.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Venger

PC?

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by denshing
    Originally posted by JeroKane Originally posted by PerfectBlend Originally posted by IAmMMO The name Burning Dog I find very distasteful. What type of people must they be to think that's a reasonable name to go by?
    Are you really that daft?  Riot and Blizzard are just neutral words and doesn't directly relate to pain and suffering and horrible death. Burning Dog is distasteful as it directly relates to an innocent animal undergoing terrible pain and facing a horrible death.  
    It's no different than the Burning Legion... They weren't actually "burning", it's just a metaphore to convey a state. Burning dog doesn't mean a dog is on fire, and if it were a dog on fire, it would probably be an undead dog that wants to tear your face off before you call PETA.

Or "The Burned Man" from Fallout NV.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

this game is definitely one I am following, I feel your Kickstarter goal is just way way too high.  Its better to set it low and get something that can help the company.

between OOM and Citadel of Sorcery, these are 2 games I am very looking forward to, COS also set their target very high, and has not even come close 35k/700k.  I am not saying you guys are the same, maybe you will do better, but I just dont see the MMOrpg players as a group who will be forking over alot of cash up front after a) being burned on so many titles, and b) knowing they are going to have to pay even more later via sub or cash grab (cough shop).

I think the one thing that I do like if I am going to be able to KS a game is a lifetime access at highest level available.  I buy years at a time in some games, lifetime subs in other games, just so I dont feel like I have to play every day to get my moneys worth

keep up the good work though, I dont want to be discouraging

I agree; I pledged to both, but I'm not so sure about them reaching their goals. However, they both say that the games will get released regardless, so I'll just support them at that time. 

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

Did somebody say burning dogs?  I'm gettn hungry;)

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Gotta love all the sandbox developments! This one is impressive for an indie-project. 

You stay sassy!

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Nice update from them. I also put together a thread with as much info as I could find last week for this game. Unfortunately there is STILL no forum for this game even though there has been a game page for awhile and this is the 2nd time MMORPG.com has done a feature for the game, and I have emailed and posted about getting a forum created for OOM.... but still nothing, so I couldnt put the thread there. Here is the thread if you guys want some more info that wasnt included in this article: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/367499

Ill work on updating it in the near future with some of the info from this article and anything else they release as well.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Venger

It's nothing about PG.... I was just elaborating the difference between the three names.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

i don't imagine a dog dying in a fire when i read that, and i have a hard time imagining a company wanting that kind of imagery implanted in peoples brain whenever they read their company name.

i imagine a firedog.  like a canine-in-appearance fire elemental or such.  

i don't feel like reading the rest of this thread to find out if anybody out there has any insider/public knowledge on what the companies true intentions are, so if anyone has that knowledge please send it in a PM.  8)

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Guys, are you really going to go on about the companies name? They even felt they had to demonstrate their pro dog credentials, give them a break. This may be a shock to you but the name does not mean they want dogs to burn. :)

The game looks good, but very early stages yet, will keep a eye on it.

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

Origins of Malu Update
    Update #2 · Oct. 25, 2012

-
    Well now our hard work has actually paid off and now we are faced with a major decision. We believe Kickstarter is an amazing tool for Indies and other creative projects, but we need to cancel our Kickstarter campaign due to new developments. We did not want to disappoint anyone. We know this seems like a strange turn of events, but we are learning just how fast the game industry can change. And all I can say is this will give us the ability to deliver what you have been asking and begging for years.

o_O>???
    Oh Nyu.

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

Personally i think people take names way too seriously, burning dog, frying cat, who cares, it is just a name, how do you know they are not talking about a hell hound or something, it is not like they are saying we are burning dogs to make this game, i hope you all like your sushi charred O.o

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    so now that they have secured the funding .what now ? when will the game release ?