Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift server merges today and more patch woes for warriors

cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
the new US servers merges are
  • Deepwood
  • Faeblight (RP)
  • Greybriar
  • Laethys (Oceanic)
  • Seastone (PvP)
  • Shatterbone
  • Threesprings
  • Wolfsbane

So we are down to 8 , they say that is because of great new server technology they implemented but I can tell you from Faeblight last night there is already ability lag once again.

Also warriors got nerfed again with todays patch , dps from reaver and paragon took a big hit which reaver dont ask me why =/

Comments

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    They will most lilkely do this on EU then since pop might be smaller there. Anyway, this will be a good change, in EU for instance theres 3 pvp servers - merging them to 1 would greatly incr server population. Just to bad I quit :(
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by ayronamic
    They will most lilkely do this on EU then since pop might be smaller there. Anyway, this will be a good change, in EU for instance theres 3 pvp servers - merging them to 1 would greatly incr server population. Just to bad I quit :(

well there is two concerns for me with this but other than that I welcome the new faces in our battlegroup for sure and warfront queues will be instant pop which is awesome. But server lag is already showing up on faeblight , lock the shard or do something and also conquest already fills up way to fast so they either need to run mulitple instances of it or im going to be pretty pissed as thats one of my favorite things to do in game currently. Other than that I look forward to most of the things Trion is doing with Rift 2.0 starting with the merges into one battlegroup.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    I was thinking of re-subbing.....but if they are merging, into lag....I'm out...:(
  • StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168

I don't really run any parsers, so I don't know for sure, but I've seen a few people saying that Warriors were a bit on the OP side, so maybe the nerf is not all unjustified...?

And, as for the lag... well... the only lag I experienced today was in Meridian, but that was probably because so many people were running around doing the new IA event... though one of my self-buffs seemed to be somewhat broken, which makes me kind of a sad panda.

Anyway, are you the person who said earlier today on the Faeblight 50 chat something along those same lines? "I welcome new faces to the server", when I pointed out that a lot of people would've gone "OHMAGAWD THEY ARE MERGING SERVERS RIFT IS DYING"? Bell-something, or something similar to that, was that person's name, from what I recall. =p

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I thought faeblight was busy before....i logged in and meridian was an ocean of people. Add the fact that theres this assault on the city event going on and its out of control haha. I like it, but for folks that dont have a lot of ram, i imagine its a nightmare.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676

In th UK at least, the players had already carried out their own form of server merging, with whole guilds and many unattached players deciding to move to one of the servers.

Result - low fps and some lag in cities on this populated server, and near emptiness in other servers. Now if they decide to make an official server merge over here, then it won't make much difference.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    It's too bad this game got so many things wrong.  It means they'll never be a huge success and thus companies like Blizzard have no impetus to increase their content frequency to match Trions.  It's great that Trion is adding to the game, but I think they missed the boat on this game.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    It's too bad this game got so many things wrong.  It means they'll never be a huge success and thus companies like Blizzard have no impetus to increase their content frequency to match Trions.  It's great that Trion is adding to the game, but I think they missed the boat on this game.

They only got 1 thing wrong.... What they did was make a better WoW, when WoW-ites didn't want a better WoW. To get the WoW-ites to actually switch you need to match the full WoW experiance, and you just cant since it has been out for so long, has all its expansions yadd yadda.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Four0Six

They only got 1 thing wrong.... What they did was make a better WoW, when WoW-ites didn't want a better WoW. To get the WoW-ites to actually switch you need to match the full WoW experiance, and you just cant since it has been out for so long, has all its expansions yadd yadda.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

The game world is tripling in size in a few weeks. I imagine it will ease up some of this lag. Otoh, both factions will be occupying the same main city in the xpac so that could be worse than it is now :p guess we will see how it pans out.

Originally posted by StormwindX

I don't really run any parsers, so I don't know for sure, but I've seen a few people saying that Warriors were a bit on the OP side, so maybe the nerf is not all unjustified...?

And, as for the lag... well... the only lag I experienced today was in Meridian, but that was probably because so many people were running around doing the new IA event... though one of my self-buffs seemed to be somewhat broken, which makes me kind of a sad panda.

Anyway, are you the person who said earlier today on the Faeblight 50 chat something along those same lines? "I welcome new faces to the server", when I pointed out that a lot of people would've gone "OHMAGAWD THEY ARE MERGING SERVERS RIFT IS DYING"? Bell-something, or something similar to that, was that person's name, from what I recall. =p

if you mean me no i tend to stay out of 1-29 30-49 and 50 chat honestly . I use the same names for every game scourne and vouhn and scion in one form or anything. I been at work and havent logged back in yet to see how things are going.

Also Warriors were a bit op yes but IMO warriors and rogues both need to get some surviviability back in their souls because right now its cleric over everything else by far.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by Four0Six

1/10

• jommybgoodjommybgood Member UncommonPosts: 39

They definately did not miss the boat on this game. Have you looked at the xpac? Yes, it will never be as big as WoW.. but i believe with the updates and content that is being made people will continue to play and new player will come. It may be a much smaller population of players, but by no way have they missed the boat. Who knows.. the population may rise with the way this company is handling things. And I believe the server merges needed to happen.. as long as they handle the lag, which I believe they will. 

And about the warrior nerf thing.. they have been OP for quite some time. I dont know how bad they got nerfed, but I do think they needed a tweak. 

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Its not just warriors . The whole restructuring of the souls is a right mess . Some arn't playable any more .
  • AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

just to balance out the maoning

- Some warrior builds were/are parsing 2-3k above anything else (problem < nerf)

- Lag is nowhere as bad as people are proclaiming here, atleast on icewatch.

- The server cap has doubled (orso) hence, server merges = good, especially with the silly ammount of content they are gonna throw at everyone with the expansion.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by jommybgood

Have you looked at the xpac? Yes, it will never be as big as WoW.. but i believe with the updates and content that is being made people will continue to play and new player will come. It may be a much smaller population of players, but by no way have they missed the boat. Who knows.. the population may rise with the way this company is handling things. And I believe the server merges needed to happen.. as long as they handle the lag, which I believe they will. 

i like what ive read about the RIFT expansion but i think they made a mistake not offering a new race or a new starting area

how is that supposed to entice new / returning low level players?

when theres only 2 starting areas and its largely the same content until you are level 50?

EQ , EQ2, WOW all added new starting zones (not always w a new race)

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

DoF, first expansion jsut added endgame stuff, so did the second one (i think), they just started adding starter areas with expansions at i think it was eof (a few years into the game).

so no, they dindt, i would even go as far as claim that neither did eq1 or wow add starter stuff at that scale with their expansions but i didnt play either so 

What concerns me primarly about Rift, although a bit offtopic, is their taking on PvP. They added a new conquest map at lvl 60, and those who us who ran conquest at 50 knows that it is more of a zergfest than anything else (although I dont like to put it that narrow). The greatest profit to level your PvP rank is by going in 30 man raids and zerging other raids for kills, which increases your PvP rank drastically faster than any warfront can. Now in the new expansion they are adding 30 new ranks, going from 50 to 80, which is same old all over again. This is so frustrating, because meaningful PvP could be a balance between fun and challenging, while in my perspective they just added more ranks as time-filler - and the time it takes is massive.

But then again, there are those who enjoy this, and for a PvEr the game is indeed great.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by jommybgood

Have you looked at the xpac? Yes, it will never be as big as WoW.. but i believe with the updates and content that is being made people will continue to play and new player will come. It may be a much smaller population of players, but by no way have they missed the boat. Who knows.. the population may rise with the way this company is handling things. And I believe the server merges needed to happen.. as long as they handle the lag, which I believe they will. 

i like what ive read about the RIFT expansion but i think they made a mistake not offering a new race or a new starting area

how is that supposed to entice new / returning low level players?

when theres only 2 starting areas and its largely the same content until you are level 50?

EQ , EQ2, WOW all added new starting zones (not always w a new race)

Completely agree. To me Rift feels very "been there,done that" once I leveled a toon on both sides. Would love a new starting area.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by ayronamic

What concerns me primarly about Rift, although a bit offtopic, is their taking on PvP. They added a new conquest map at lvl 60, and those who us who ran conquest at 50 knows that it is more of a zergfest than anything else (although I dont like to put it that narrow). The greatest profit to level your PvP rank is by going in 30 man raids and zerging other raids for kills, which increases your PvP rank drastically faster than any warfront can. Now in the new expansion they are adding 30 new ranks, going from 50 to 80, which is same old all over again. This is so frustrating, because meaningful PvP could be a balance between fun and challenging, while in my perspective they just added more ranks as time-filler - and the time it takes is massive.

But then again, there are those who enjoy this, and for a PvEr the game is indeed great.

Honestly, it is no different than what the other MMOs are doing.  A new expansion means you have to start gearing up again for PVE AND PVP.  Honestly though, what else would they do?  We play this game for something to do and if an expansion doesn't add more levels and ranks then what would you play for?  Wandering around a new map only keeps you occupied for so long.

As a 100% PVP player I enjoy working my way up the ranks.  As soon as I reach the top and have no more goals I immediately become bored and wander off.  If I had any criticism at all it would be how weak you are when you first hit 50 vs. other players and how long it takes to be able to kick any ass.  I guess this is also the same as WoW, though, because the PVP gear grind was brutal there as well.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

lets try to be fair here though . Rift pvp is much better than wow pvp and conquest is much less of a zergefest than guild wars 2 world vs world is by far. Also this expansion is not content lite at all and it is adding in features to continue to make it much more than a wow clone. 4 new souls isnt bad and most seem to be positive about what they offer to continue the flexability of the souls . The mix up of souls with 1.11 has also changed the game pretty dynamicly and revamping the entire leveling process with instant adventures and mobs being normalized has made getting to 50 much easier . PVP wise conquest is fun and a good team has already proven they can destroy the zerge unlike guild wars 2 where its however many siege weapons wins and how large your force is.

Also complaining about prestiage ranks ? DAOC had realm ranks which is the exact same thing, as did warhammer online and DAOC is still considered to be the best if not one of the best pvp games out there on the market. The new gear with the much lower pvp valor means no more OP power pvp gamers running around making it impossible to enjoy a warfront or conquest. Not sure why anyone would even complain about the pvp ranks , it gives people something to goal towards with the new armor sets and weapons who dont want to raid or pve all the time.

More chronicles promised for end game and some of the lower dungeons so you dont have to dungeon all the time. Housing just like minecraft creative mode where you build it block for block. New fishing and survival and crafting updated to 375 etc I can keep going and going. You cant even compare this game to MOP because MOP from wow didnt offer anything but a new heroics and raid grind and a bunch of daily quests with what a garden and pet battles? Rifts expansion is WAY beyond anything wow is doing with their current game right now .

I hate my warrior nerfs and rogue nerfs to healing and i whine about it so im no raving fan but for best thing on the market right now Rift is winning that race compared even to guild wars 2 and wow or the secret world as they are pumping out as many features as most of them combined.

Originally posted by cronius77

lets try to be fair here though . Rift pvp is much better than wow pvp and conquest is much less of a zergefest than guild wars 2 world vs world is by far. Also this expansion is not content lite at all and it is adding in features to continue to make it much more than a wow clone. 4 new souls isnt bad and most seem to be positive about what they offer to continue the flexability of the souls . The mix up of souls with 1.11 has also changed the game pretty dynamicly and revamping the entire leveling process with instant adventures and mobs being normalized has made getting to 50 much easier . PVP wise conquest is fun and a good team has already proven they can destroy the zerge unlike guild wars 2 where its however many siege weapons wins and how large your force is.

Also complaining about prestiage ranks ? DAOC had realm ranks which is the exact same thing, as did warhammer online and DAOC is still considered to be the best if not one of the best pvp games out there on the market. The new gear with the much lower pvp valor means no more OP power pvp gamers running around making it impossible to enjoy a warfront or conquest. Not sure why anyone would even complain about the pvp ranks , it gives people something to goal towards with the new armor sets and weapons who dont want to raid or pve all the time.

More chronicles promised for end game and some of the lower dungeons so you dont have to dungeon all the time. Housing just like minecraft creative mode where you build it block for block. New fishing and survival and crafting updated to 375 etc I can keep going and going. You cant even compare this game to MOP because MOP from wow didnt offer anything but a new heroics and raid grind and a bunch of daily quests with what a garden and pet battles? Rifts expansion is WAY beyond anything wow is doing with their current game right now .

I hate my warrior nerfs and rogue nerfs to healing and i whine about it so im no raving fan but for best thing on the market right now Rift is winning that race compared even to guild wars 2 and wow or the secret world as they are pumping out as many features as most of them combined.

Well your points are subjective, as are mine, and theirs. While I dont find WoW pvp to be anymore balanced, at least they have different types of PvP and sense of progression, where Rift all you need is time. Most could argue that conquest is more zergy compared to WvW, as the metaplay has more complex options in WvW compared to Conquest. At least on my server it was commonly known that Nightfall faction runs around in raids and goes for kills, while Oathsworn goes for objective caps. Sure you can have zergs in WvW, but at least there are more options to make your side win.

Personally when it comes down to it, I realize now that I am more of a sandbox player, than themepark or hybrid. In the end, you just gotta find those special meaningful things that MMO X captures you with.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Alyvian

DoF, first expansion jsut added endgame stuff, so did the second one (i think), they just started adding starter areas with expansions at i think it was eof (a few years into the game).

so no, they dindt, i would even go as far as claim that neither did eq1 or wow add starter stuff at that scale with their expansions but i didnt play either so 

RIFT released March 2011 - this will be first expansion in almost 2 years (20 months)

for EQ2, 2 years after launch (Nov 2006), EOF was released w new content for all levels

EQ offered many new zones for *all levels* w first expansion, Kunark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest:_The_Ruins_of_Kunark

the new race Iksar had no reason to experience any of the old EQ launch content

WOW 1st expansion had 2 new starting areas w 2 new races

but otherwise the same content for levels 25-60

i think the RIFT expansion sounds great but im disappointed theres no new zones under 50

when the game is almost 2 years old

i think some people are upset that the lower areas didnt at least get a revamp and no new starting areas. But with that being said also there is really zero point in rift to keep rolling new toons and the game has been out for a long time now. Everyone i know have multiple 50s and we mentor down if we want to do older content and we run IA's also at lower levels. Trion has just made it kinda pointless to roll alts as you can move your toons once a week to any server you wish , mentor down to do old dungeons and still get experience and planar exp. It takes like a week or maybe 2 two weeks tops for a casual 1 hour every other day gamer to get to 50 in rift now so basically most of us have multiple 50s across shards. I think Trion just felt this expansion should focus solely on the 50s and end game content to prolong the life of the game some more. Dimensions is about the only thing i think of that is for the lower level toons but even then it costs marks for the building supplies and they take you being in the 30s to farm the mats to create the blocks etc . I started a cleric two days ago just messing around and im already level 33 and barely been playing for more then a couple of hours each day so thats how fast you level from pvp and instant adventure now.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

the only place i've noticed ability lag was in meridian, because of the constant IA that is going on there.  it's the Capital city of the defiants so i dont imagine it was originally meant to have 100 players in it all running around killing rapidly spawning monsters.

like some others mentioned, if they're going to triple the size of the world in like 3 weeks, they're going to have to merge servers, because otherwise they will feel too empty.

i am fairly new to the game... i have a level 50 rogue but havent started to really gear him up... but i know that it must be super hard to balance such a customizable class system and i'm happy they're doing it now before the expansion is released.

overall i'm still happy to play rift as my themepark of choice; the devs in rift really seem to base their priorities upon improving the experience for the players.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins