Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greed Monger - A Crafting Focused MMORPG

Comments

• AkulasAkulas GoldcoastPosts: 1,859Member Uncommon
    Want to know if people can steal stuff from your land or not or if you can lock stuff down you don't want people to take and leave other things that people can take if you want them to. Stealing is fun and everything but I'd like to control if stuff gets taken off my land or not or if I can give permission etc.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• MogusMogus Anderson, OHPosts: 169Member
    If we in fact implement stealing at all it will only be in open PVP areas.

www.greedmonger.com
    Did you like Ultima Online? Then you'll LOVE Greed Monger!

• BiskopBiskop AvalonPosts: 709Member Uncommon
    So.. The whole map will eventually be owned by rich whales who will rule supreme and who people with normal funds won't be able to touch?

Just like the real world, then. I must say you've picked a fitting name for thos game..

Otherwise it sounds pretty interesting.
  • VesaviusVesavius BristolPosts: 7,698Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Biskop
    So.. The whole map will eventually be owned by rich whales who will rule supreme and who people with normal funds won't be able to touch?

Just like the real world, then. I must say you've picked a fitting name for thos game..

This is a valid point... will there be limits to amount of land per account? I would guess not considering how easy it is to make alt accounts in a F2P game?

I never played it... is this model similar to Entropy Online?

Otherwise, I actually love the idea of a crafting focused MMO like this. I would prefer land to be achieved through in game play though, as opposed to real life cash, but that's just me.

I am not a fan at all of the name either, but again that's just personal taste.

• Spider3Spider3 ZurichPosts: 33Member

I understand people having a bad reactions on a game where "richer is stronger".

But how comes that UO, pretty items based, still up and running after 15 years?

You can hate it, but this kind of system, it puts a lot of competition. For rare collectors, for traders, for real estate brokers. You want to get rich? earn it! You don't have time to gather resources and mine for 6h daily? Pay this time and buy virtual gold with true money. It working exactly like this in the real world, therefore it's logical to think it should be the same in a virtual world.

Of course, a balance is also needed. UO suffered a lot from the facts that PVP was only for 3l33t wearing dirty expensive gears.

Then they introduced doom gauntlet and all the artifacts. Here also the noob player, had an equal % to get an artifact like any other veterans. And sell it for a shitload of money. And got enough money to buy the so expensive +20 Scrolls (spawning only on PvP area).

Personally I think this system IS working perfectly, if the devs just find the right way to balance the PVP system, where new players can, after raised all their skills, get powerfull gears (in any way) to fight against vet. And leave to rich people the super ultra rare unique artifact costing millions that gives just a slightly minor bonus on various skills without being overpowered.

• BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,579Member Uncommon
    More Kickstarter bullpuckey scams imho.... more vaporware

• Spider3Spider3 ZurichPosts: 33Member
    Betaguy could be right..but not all kickstarter are for definition a scammer, no?  ;)

Point taken Beta,

but I wouldn't be putting so much of my own personal resources into this if it were some kind of scam. 

My real name and who I am is all over the internet and my accomplishments are plenty. I assure you, this isn't a scam.

:)

As a matter of fact, I guess its ok to mention that I am working on setting up an online project management system that will allow Kickstarters to log in and view the progress that is being made on Greed Monger in detail. I dont think anyone has ever done that before. I'm just trying to make sure Kickstarters can read only and not change anything.

All will be announced at the proper time.

www.greedmonger.com

• TheeLordTheeLord Northbrook, ILPosts: 138Member Uncommon
    Sounds a lot like factions www.factionsgame.com or xsyon www.xsyon.com best of luck to you, good looking graphics.

Founder and Lead developer of Factions. The complete fantasy sandbox survival MMO.
    Factions indiedb Page (most up to date info) | Factions Website

• LynxeyedLynxeyed Akron, OHPosts: 81Member Uncommon
    Definately all about a 3d ultima online housing experince! I will definately support an Ohio based company Looking forward to reading great things about this and hopefully playing it some time in the near future.

http://www.greedmonger.com/forum/forum.php

New forums are up. I took them back to VB4 considering how cluster VB5 is right now.

www.greedmonger.com

I've setup a new theme for the forums.

Should be much easier to use now.

www.greedmonger.com

• AbdiellAbdiell san diego, CAPosts: 102Member Uncommon

This is constructive criticism, please take it at face value. I would change the name if I were you. I saw this thread on the front page all day today, and did not click on it because when I saw Greed Monger, I immediatly thought tycoon style game. After seeing the thread a dozen times, I finally clicked.

I'm glad I did take a look because it looks awesome, and I applaud your effort.

People judge books by their cover. That is realty, and that is why so much money goes into branding. I stronly recommend you reconsider how your present your brand to the world.

• DeriumsDeriums akron, OHPosts: 38Member
    Hey! I played UO back in 98' till AoS killed the game. Seeing we are both from ohio (like an hour apart) I'm guessing you played on probably LS?
  • KilsinKilsin AustraliaPosts: 406Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Abdiell
    This is constructive criticism, please take it at face value. I would change the name if I were you. I saw this thread on the front page all day today, and did not click on it because when I saw Greed Monger, I immediatly thought tycoon style game. After seeing the thread a dozen times, I finally clicked.   I'm glad I did take a look because it looks awesome, and I applaud your effort.   People judge books by their cover. That is realty, and that is why so much money goes into branding. I stronly recommend you reconsider how your present your brand to the world.

I have to agree with this, the name is pretty bad and made me skip past it several times too until there was nothing else to read at 2am...

I am not liking the rich get richer and pay to win motto's being thrown around here...apart from that the game looks pretty good and has a lot of potential but I won't be supporting it if it's pay to win with real cash to buy land, that just takes the whole fun from gaming out of it.

Community & Web Manager | Visionary Realms, Inc.
    Visit our Development Website. | Facebook | Twitter

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 14,247Member Rare
    Originally posted by Vesavius

This is a valid point... will there be limits to amount of land per account? I would guess not considering how easy it is to make alt accounts in a F2P game?

Otherwise, I actually love the idea of a crafting focused MMO like this. I would prefer land to be achieved through in game play though, as opposed to real life cash, but that's just me.

I'm interested in the answer to that one.

What are the differences between Greed Monger and Entropia Universe?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

How does Utopian Settlers sound?

I only ask because that's what we were going to name the game.

Knowing what I know about the game, I feel Greed Monger is better suited, but I have heard several times how the name strikes people in a negative way.

www.greedmonger.com

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 14,247Member Rare
    Originally posted by Kilsin
    Originally posted by Abdiell
    This is constructive criticism, please take it at face value. I would change the name if I were you. I saw this thread on the front page all day today, and did not click on it because when I saw Greed Monger, I immediatly thought tycoon style game. After seeing the thread a dozen times, I finally clicked.   I'm glad I did take a look because it looks awesome, and I applaud your effort.   People judge books by their cover. That is realty, and that is why so much money goes into branding. I stronly recommend you reconsider how your present your brand to the world.

I have to agree with this, the name is pretty bad and made me skip past it several times too until there was nothing else to read at 2am...

I am not liking the rich get richer and pay to win motto's being thrown around here...apart from that the game looks pretty good and has a lot of potential but I won't be supporting it if it's pay to win with real cash to buy land, that just takes the whole fun from gaming out of it.

In agreement here, as well. Random latenight browsing is the only thing that got me to click this as at first glance I had originally ignored it as probably being some reskinned browser game.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Entropia Universe is a HUGE money pit. I've played it and still have an account with 1,000 PED left on it.

The big difference is, Greed Monger isn't a RCE (Real Cash Economy) game that you have to constantly feed cash into it in hopes of getting something of value.

The only real cash transactions that should be taking place are Land Purchases and Estate Sales.

www.greedmonger.com

• AbdiellAbdiell san diego, CAPosts: 102Member Uncommon

Utopian Settlers is better, but still not attention grabbing.

Since the game is a land grab, how about something like "Manifest Destiny" or "Terra Firma."

Just a thought.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Beaumont, CAPosts: 1,775Member Uncommon

nice Mogus, I remember your original thread, I actually posted, I wasnt a fan if there wasnt a pve aspect, but it seems like you have quite a bit of pve.

This sounds really cool, I may just KS this to try and get a nice bunch of parcels with the soul intention of selling down the road.

when it comes to KS, take a little friendly advice, recently MMOrpgs, that have been KS'd have been looking for 700k, 1.3mil etc, set your goals low, so you get something to help boost you along

I havent bothered to KS COS or OOM cause I really dont see how either of those even come close to their no's

• DSWBeefDSWBeef phoenix, AZPosts: 791Member Uncommon
    Hmmm a better name then Greed Monger........ If you have a name for the world we are on you could call it SETTLERS OF (insert name here). Just a thought. Ill think of more.

Playing: War Thunder, World of Warcraft, and Grim Dawn
    Waiting on:Everquest Next and The Black Desert

• IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Promoters shore do talk purty.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Vesavius

I'm interested in the answer to that one.

What are the differences between Greed Monger and Entropia Universe?

Thanks for making the connection and the correction there Lok. It's a title I am not really familiar with :)

Originally posted by Mogus
    How does Utopian Settlers sound? I only ask because that's what we were going to name the game. Knowing what I know about the game, I feel Greed Monger is better suited, but I have heard several times how the name strikes people in a negative way.

It's hard to come up with something nice that isn't cheesy... Ascendance Online?