Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] TERA: Halloween in TERA - Catching Up with Chris Hager

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

TERA has been out on the scene for the last several months and there is no time for the team to catch its collective breath with all updates and plans to make. We caught up with Chris Hager to talk about TERA. See what he's got to say before adding your voice to the discussion in the comments.

MMORPG:  What are some of the most popular aspects for players? What do you find them enjoying the most about the game?

Chris Hager: Several activities are popular among our players—it depends a lot on character level and play style preference. Our battlegrounds have been hugely popular among the PvP crowd, and our political system regularly attracts attention from a lot of our players. We have BAM (big-ass monster) battles across all level ranges, and we’ve found that a lot of players like the challenge of tackling these guys solo just to see if they can. 

Read more of Garrett Fuller's TERA: Halloween in TERA - Catching Up with Chris Hager.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I'll be the first to post regarding the lol at busier than ever if you say it has ANYTHING to do with the bad pvp system.  I was a massive fanboy of this game, but if you are looking for pvp,...go elsewhere.  Broke because:

1.  OWPVP, safezones are everywhere...so people stand in a safezone, run 5 ft out and fight in pvp...when they are almost dead they jump back in the safezone....wow thats fun.

2.  OWPVP, theres no reason to be in the open world once you are max level.  At max level you basically are running instances for gear.  You go to a vendor and buy a scroll to the instance, so literally you will find no one in the ow, and everyone waiting in the safezones.

3.  Political guild war, its not won and loss by how well a clan did as far as the number of kills compared to the number of deaths.  If you have a 300 man clan and your members die 600 times in  a day, but you still kill your 200 in that day (whatever the number is) you still get max points...so who cares about deaths, just rush to your death as long as you get your kills.

4.  Political guild war, you easily make an alt guild and allow your clan to kill that guild over and over for max points, simple feeding.

5.  Regular guild war, last one day...you rarely see anyone outside of the safezone...so you can win a war with one kill basically...again, no reason to be in the openworld

Saying so much is happening on the pvp side is a joke...I left a few months back and the clan which I abolished is still in the same place on the ranking boards as when I left. 

PVP = broken in what could have been an EPIC game...

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

I'm playing Tera and the pvp is better then TSW/GW2/WOW/TOR/MO/Everything, ontop of them putting 3v3 and 5v5 soon theres more to come in 2013.

Sorry you quit the game, have fun in GW2/DF/whatever.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I managed to level 3 toons to max level, did all the content in the game several times, and I can honestly say I feel they entirely missed the mark with the game.

I was a staunch defender of TERA, but the game's direction was just terrible.  The Guild wars are dull and meaningless.  Vanarchy is very much so as well.

Game had so much potential. 

• PostcardsPostcards Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by afhn2110

I'll be the first to post regarding the lol at busier than ever if you say it has ANYTHING to do with the bad pvp system.  I was a massive fanboy of this game, but if you are looking for pvp,...go elsewhere.  Broke because:

1.  OWPVP, safezones are everywhere...so people stand in a safezone, run 5 ft out and fight in pvp...when they are almost dead they jump back in the safezone....wow thats fun.

2.  OWPVP, theres no reason to be in the open world once you are max level.  At max level you basically are running instances for gear.  You go to a vendor and buy a scroll to the instance, so literally you will find no one in the ow, and everyone waiting in the safezones.

3.  Political guild war, its not won and loss by how well a clan did as far as the number of kills compared to the number of deaths.  If you have a 300 man clan and your members die 600 times in  a day, but you still kill your 200 in that day (whatever the number is) you still get max points...so who cares about deaths, just rush to your death as long as you get your kills.

4.  Political guild war, you easily make an alt guild and allow your clan to kill that guild over and over for max points, simple feeding.

5.  Regular guild war, last one day...you rarely see anyone outside of the safezone...so you can win a war with one kill basically...again, no reason to be in the openworld

Saying so much is happening on the pvp side is a joke...I left a few months back and the clan which I abolished is still in the same place on the ranking boards as when I left. 

1. Some people do this. The besy way to engage someone is look for someone doing dailies. I also know a popular farming spot around Pathfinders where there is always someone farming BAMs.

2. Nexus is when most of the people will be out in the open world for about a good hour. Unfortunately Nexus is very laggy and the only PVP you can get involved in is GVG.

3. Vanarch GVG is flawed. Once you get capped out on a guild, you will usually hug a safezone until the points reset. Rushing to your death does not work. You will just end up feeding points to the other guild. When they are capped, you won't see them anymore except safezones.

4. The guilds with alts had their GVG points reset to 0 so that doesn't work and makes it almost impossible to catch up at that point.

5. Nexus is when most of the GVG happens. Only the initial fight will happen inside the Nexus itself but after that, the guilds wait to fight it out outside the Nexus so either side won't have the Nexus buff. This is also a good way to deny another guild entering the Nexus Traverse preventing them from getting some decent loot .

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

I managed to level 3 toons to max level, did all the content in the game several times, and I can honestly say I feel they entirely missed the mark with the game.

I was a staunch defender of TERA, but the game's direction was just terrible.  The Guild wars are dull and meaningless.  Vanarchy is very much so as well.

Game had so much potential. 

Every single one of my guildies feel the same way, the game had so much potential and EME really doesn't have as much control as they say, they do some but it's not enough, we needed BHS to learn how to fucking develop a game. 

Regardless I still sign on here and there and I did enjoy BGs for quite a while and thanks to chronoscrolls I used in-game gold to buy my sub until February and will just wait on new content to muck around in, 3v3/5v5 Arena seems fun. When they'll be released is still a mystery to me though.

• Ezen_SurrealEzen_Surreal Member Posts: 168
    I'm a fanboy...Until *UltimaOnline 2* comes out....

Sometimes its good to think deep. Some times it good just to play games.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

No, they try to reset those points to 0...but they don't catch all the clans doing it (exploiting the system) also they only reset the points the first vanarchy, so its been like 20 of them by now...lol

Trust me, I was a tera fanboy...I hate whats happened with the pvp...the way the game plays is simply epic...but the pvp truely is broken...like you said, "go hunt the spot"  I shouldn't have to camp a couple spots to find the pvp...and when you do...there will be a safezone rather close as well...I think they should make a true ffa pvp server with no safezones at least when you are level 60...i'd love to go back then.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

The spot I'm thinking of doesn't have a safe zone close enough.
    There are other ways to exploit the GVG Vanarch system but creating alt guilds to feed on isn't one of them. I've been killed in a couple of areas not close to a safe zone this week already.
    The Halloween Egg event had a lot of people hunting ghosts down and a lot of people Outlaw.
  • NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

Our battlegrounds have been hugely popular among the PvP crowd

Yes because it's the "only" form of PvP you offer, where players on your official forums have several times stated that it's boring since you have to grind the same map in order to get the gear, which require a lot of currencies to purchase.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by afhn2110

This is really a shame, wonder if they have given up on open world PvP or what?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

“qualitative feedback loops” “quantitative feedback loops” “in-game metrics”

In other words they listen to player feedback. :)

Looks like a lack of attention to end game, which is not the first time we have seen that. I think Terra may be worth a look but not until next year after some large updates.

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by Scot

“qualitative feedback loops” “quantitative feedback loops” “in-game metrics”

In other words they listen to player feedback. :)

Looks like a lack of attention to end game, which is not the first time we have seen that. I think Terra may be worth a look but not until next year after some large updates.

Yeah, the endgame is pretty much a failure. And it's not that they don't want, they simply don't have the manpower to run Tera as a pure themepark, they can't produce enough content to entertain people, so they force the player to do the few things they actually can produce with their small staff 100s of time. Which gets boring really fast. Especially when you do it 100s of times for nothing since bind of pick crap screws unlucky people beyond any repair.

Tera had more potential then any other MMORPG in the last years but really, it's no wonder people quit all the time.

LFG!

The two big issues with TERA are the enchanting which can be a rough gate to progress through content and the actual amount of content. I think the amount of dungeons released with the level 60 cap is one of the problems with the game. I also think EME made a bad decision on lowering the dungeon level of 3 previous end game dungeons that were in KTERA. Those should have been raised from 58 to 60 instead to give more options and dungeons to do.

Battlegrounds are fun and all but doing just one over and over gets stale. Massive GVGs are always fun. I had some really great battles in TERA. 50 vs 100+ players. I wish there were other ways to get these done w/o being the Nexus lagfest. Arenas sound fun and all but they better fix the classes because the balance is all jacked up imo.

Enchanting sucks but they have improved it with the last patch and more improvements to come with a patch in November. I think enchanting is what makes a lot of players rage quit the game if anything.

• Rizon538Rizon538 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Nice article that said absolutely nothing. Fluff piece.
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

2 possible fixes 

1. Turn off safe zones for guilds at war.

or 

2.kill point timers that cumulates kill points for opposing guild if their Guild members stay I safe areas.

• VeryMelonVeryMelon Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Oh it said plenty of lies alright.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by Postcards

The two big issues with TERA are the enchanting which can be a rough gate to progress through content and the actual amount of content. I think the amount of dungeons released with the level 60 cap is one of the problems with the game. I also think EME made a bad decision on lowering the dungeon level of 3 previous end game dungeons that were in KTERA. Those should have been raised from 58 to 60 instead to give more options and dungeons to do.

Battlegrounds are fun and all but doing just one over and over gets stale. Massive GVGs are always fun. I had some really great battles in TERA. 50 vs 100+ players. I wish there were other ways to get these done w/o being the Nexus lagfest. Arenas sound fun and all but they better fix the classes because the balance is all jacked up imo.

Enchanting sucks but they have improved it with the last patch and more improvements to come with a patch in November. I think enchanting is what makes a lot of players rage quit the game if anything.

This for me. After living with Aion's eyeball tearing out rng the last thing I needed was another does of luck/hard luck dice rolling. So it wasn't a rage quit, as Aion had pre-warned me of what was going to happen - it was a calm quit - cancel renewel - play to end of current sub - walk away with sanity intact.

• Rizon538Rizon538 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Originally posted by JudgeUK
    Originally posted by Postcards

This for me. After living with Aion's eyeball tearing out rng the last thing I needed was another does of luck/hard luck dice rolling. So it wasn't a rage quit, as Aion had pre-warned me of what was going to happen - it was a calm quit - cancel renewel - play to end of current sub - walk away with sanity intact.

I haven't seen a MMO developed in Asia where the Devs were not head over heels in love with RNGs. Don't see this changing anytime soon. That phylosophy may work in Asia but will never go over big in the West. If Asian Developers truely wish to go global then they mush fashion a new paradigm that encampasses the playing ideals of all.

• LoviotorLoviotor Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I love how people bitch about end-game content in a game that's merely 6 months old...  I know of no game that had decent end-game content in their first year, especially since 2004...  In the late-90s it took 6 or more months to reach level cap in games, now you can and many people do reach level cap in 3-4 days and then bitch that there's no end-game.  It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.  Enjoy the game, take your time and see the content that is there from 1-59 instead of breaknecking to 60 and then finding out that there's very little to do.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Unfortunatly Loviotor the baulk of the MMO playerbase are now players who expect the values of a solo game to be in a MMO. That means very quick leveling, then on to the next game as soon as you get slightly bored of top level.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by Loviotor
    I love how people bitch about end-game content in a game that's merely 6 months old...  I know of no game that had decent end-game content in their first year, especially since 2004...  In the late-90s it took 6 or more months to reach level cap in games, now you can and many people do reach level cap in 3-4 days and then bitch that there's no end-game.  It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.  Enjoy the game, take your time and see the content that is there from 1-59 instead of breaknecking to 60 and then finding out that there's very little to do.

Hey, I agree with the instant gratification comments. I'd also say that there does need to be a certain level of end game content available at launch, or added to more or less immediately after launch.

(The danger with choosing another game as an example is that people immediately jump on that one with negative comments - bearing that in mind here goes).

I think Rift managed it's launch pretty well, with a reasonable balance of levelling and end game content. Sure, we'll always get the power levelling groups - I don't see these as the norm, and neither should game developers really. So bearing in mind that Rift was a new game, the launch and game content was well received. Maybe this should be used as a guide for the amount of game content at launch. I'd also site Aion for the amount of game content at launch - ok this wasn't a brand new game, but.....

Back to Tera - as most people know this also wasn't a new game - only new to the US/EU. It was a westernized version of the original that had been out for over a year (or was it longer?) in the far east. Over there it had already been criticized for it's lack of end game content and had a history of declining player numbers.

So the lessons where already out there for the developers. The question then is what did they do in reponse to this history lesson? Unfortunately, maybe due to financial or resource restrictions - very little.

The eastern history of Tera playing numbers appears to have been mirrored directly over here. Exacerbated with the general western dislike of the rng elements.

Personally, I'd love Tera to have a cash/resource injection that enabled the game to significantly increase it's content. (I levelled a mystic, which definitely wasn't that fast :-) I think the combat, environment, graphics are excellent and to me it's frustrating that these positives are lessened by other aspects of the game.

• BlueLanternBlueLantern Member Posts: 96

aaaaaand now he has quit the company a week later. lol.