Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Since 2005 till today, is there a mmorpg better than GW2?

Comments

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Jimmy562
    In my opinion SWTOR. I enjoy playing GW2 but enjoy SWTOR a little more. 

For me SWTOR is best ever. But loving swtor does not prevent me to like a lot also other games.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741
    OP said 2005, I would say Lotro hands down.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Kyle:

Then in that case the following are not mmos

Uo, coh, planetside

And the following only just scrape in

Daoc, darkfall, swg, ac, eve

I think you are confusing the terms mmorpg and boring friggin everquest clone.

Of course UO, COH, and Planetside are MMO's, (just like D3) but only UO is a proper MMORPG in that trio. (lots of progression in that title, in ways almost no other MMO ever dreamed of)

DAOC, (realm ranks 15 L10 anyone) Darkfall, (no skill caps)  SWG, (who can forget grinding out Jedi's in the beginning) AC (275 levels), EVE (over 28 years of real time skill training) all pretty much qualify these titles as having nearly endless character progression in terms of power.

Most modern MMO's have largely forgotten this, or relegate it to a handful of new levels every few years or put players through an endless gear grinding treadmill, but even these are more proper MMORPG's than GW2.

Again, you can't compare GW2 to the others, more like Apples to Oranges, and it's really in a class by itself.

Good game, just not much of an MMORPG. 

And like I said, this is only one area it lacks in, there are others, but that would belong in its own thread.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Err uo had skill caps
    Sandboxes like eve, eventually you stop increasing in raw power, you just get more options
    Coh is nigh gearless, no different to gw2 in that regard

You criteria before of ever increasing power suggests only games like EQ and wow are "true mmorpgs"
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by shingoukieh

Everyone knows that GW2 is proly the best mmorpg...dont mean you like it the best...

Everyone knows its all about the social and emotions you felt when u first logged onto a mmorpg and the friends you made and the guilds etc...

For me the mmorpg i had the most enjoy playing was PWI on dreamweaver server...I met tons of players..guild fights were cool...and i actually felt like that sitcom Cheers where everyone know your name..i felt like i belonged..

GW2 is different...ya is fun and the mechanics of the game outshine most mmorpgs but...i feel like a pea in a pod if  ya know what i mean...

Err contradicting yourself in same line? if people don't like the game how can you claim that everyone knows that GW2 is best MMORPG? you can't present subjective matters as facts.

I enjoy playing GW2 every now and then but i understand that not everyone is going to like it. Even i who is enjoying playing GW2 do not consider it to be the 'best'.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Is it me, or did the OP change the text on the poll to reflect the opposite of what it originally said? It's a highly dubious poll when someone has to vote "no" to ultimately say "yes".

Oderint, dum metuant.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by DMKano

Yes  obviously personal opinion but here it goes:

vanilla AoC - played it for 8 months from release in a guild with about 45 active players during the entire time. Vanilla AoC had IMO the best melee combat system out of any mmo released to date.

aion - played it for about 6 months in a very active guild, had a blast, was a very fun game.

rift - loved it

prior to 2005 - gen 1 games still own anything released in the last 8 years - UO, eq1,AC, DAoC 

Can't understand why people like that rift.  When I tried the trial it felt like WoW on rails, which is a really bad thing.   It must be a late bloomer.  Maybe that's why I like GW2 so much.  I get so much enjoyment from the first to last moment and I don't have to wait for the game to "come into its own."

Open world Rift would have been great. The Rifts were great and the engine and graphics, sounds, animations, all great. And they ruined it by making it into a WoW clone.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    I would rather play Vanguard again (since your cutoff is 2005) than GW2, GW2 is so overhyped.
  • WendettaWendetta Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by gordiflu

When I check what's on sale at the Turbine store I see:

Healing potions (with NO cooldown)

Mana potions (again with NO cooldown)

Damage boosts.

Any kind of resistance boosts.

Now please tell me how those items are not pay to win.

Wow! You must be able to see stuff that is hidden from people with normal eyes or balanced mind!

All cash shop morale / power potions have a 10second acting duration with 20 seconds cooldown till next use. Healing...Mana...no cooldown...have you confused yourself with some other game? Or just purposefully spewing BS?

Damage, mitigation AND crafting boosts can be bought via Destiny points by all subscribers, these destiny points are earned in game by just lvling up. So its not cash shop exclusive. Its called Perks. Also FYI these boost tomes can drop from mobs and instances, and err...doesnt such buffs drop the same way from GW2 chests or something? 

So looks like you dint do your homework and have opted to....what was that phrase thrown around so often for That game...oh yea, you are "spreading misinformation" about Lotro. Come on man, Im all willing to bash Lotro for so many reasons, check my post history if you dont believe me, but dont spout garbage and expect to be taken seriously. 

The PvE in this game isnt "pay-to-win", if it was then players could solo raids using these imaginary "no cooldown" potions of yours. Now the warden and mini classes are able to solo a lot of group content, but thats not because of "P2W" but because of class imbalances.

I conclude that your post = Bullshit. 

Proud Member of the A.F-D-A. [Anti Fanboy-Defense-Army]Association for a Better Tomorrow or [A.F-D-A.]AfaBT, in short.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    "Better" is 100% subjective, but I got more entertainment and addiction from LOTRO, Atlantica Online and Uncharted Waters Online than GW2.

Of the 2005 and earlier games, I'd add EVE, WoW (by a mile) and actually even GW1, if you accept that as an MMO.
  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Vindictus is better than GW2 in a lot of ways.

Better Combat

Better Graphics

Completely Free as in No Box to buy

Good PvE end game with actual raiding and lots of dungeons

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I like with gw2 its not everyone sat in cities queueing to go instance. Gw2 is a proper themepark.

Ironically most of these modern "themeparks" + wow, play more like gw1 - cooprpg
  • Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Even with the lag and current bugs, Vanguard: Saga of Hereos is the MMORPG that is the least on rails with an open, huge, non-instanced world.
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

Vanguard: While it was arguably the worst mmo launch in recent years. It pushed past that bad moment and is currently IMO the best mmo ive ever played. Huge open world, exploring is pushed and rewarded, housing, player ships, alot of customization, decent graphics, rich world. The only thing that bugs is how they handled F2P.

Old LOTRO: Lotro before F2P was amazing. MoM had some of the best content ive ever experienced, plus leveling in that game didnt feel like a chore to me, i was in middle earth slaying orcs, urukhai, worgs, goblins, wights. It was pretty close to what i would vision LOTR mmo being. With some amazing graphics, crafting, classes, and a rich world.

RIFT: While yes in the beginning it was WoW 2.0. It had some redeeming qualities. Rifts before their shine wore off were amazing. I still remember on launch day being in a huge raid defending Silverwood from Greenscales invasions. Plus RIFT had IMO the best launch to date with the only bad thing being Queue times. I Had ONE Crash the whole launch week and ZERO lag. With RIft gaining more Open world content in SL, Guild and Player housing, more classes, artifacts, chronicles, and more world events, Rift is the themepark game striving to be more then just a wow clone.

Totally forgot. 

TABULA RASA! This game was amazing IMO. The little i played of it was awesome. Its death to me was very tragic and i wish NCsoft would of made it go the way of VG keep it running fix some bugs then make it F2P. Hopefully Trions DEFIANCE will revive this game as its spiritual successor.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

LotRO is better for my play style.  The big open world, following the fellowship, music system, housing, and classes I really enjoy playing.  But probably the biggest thing is I feel relaxed and content when playing.  Although I enjoy GW2 more than I did Rift, I had that similar feeling...too much going on around me that I can't stop to chat, and it got worse when I reached Orr.  That place made me a nervous wreck lol.  And I couldn't find a class I really enjoyed.

It's free, so I'll continue to check things out in GW2 on occasion, but boy did I miss Middle Earth.

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by shingoukieh

Everyone knows that GW2 is proly the best mmorpg...dont mean you like it the best...

Everyone knows its all about the social and emotions you felt when u first logged onto a mmorpg and the friends you made and the guilds etc...

For me the mmorpg i had the most enjoy playing was PWI on dreamweaver server...I met tons of players..guild fights were cool...and i actually felt like that sitcom Cheers where everyone know your name..i felt like i belonged..

GW2 is different...ya is fun and the mechanics of the game outshine most mmorpgs but...i feel like a pea in a pod if  ya know what i mean...

Err contradicting yourself in same line? if people don't like the game how can you claim that everyone knows that GW2 is best MMORPG? you can't present subjective matters as facts.

I enjoy playing GW2 every now and then but i understand that not everyone is going to like it. Even i who is enjoying playing GW2 do not consider it to be the 'best'.

Basically what i meant was it has all the features to make it the best mmorpg. Large beautiful world, pvp options, instances that arent easy mode, can play with friends no matter the level, cool looking gear, lots of classes, etc.. i could go on...so in theory it is the best mmorpg. Takes a lil bit from previous mmorpgs and put its on spin on it..

Example i can say something like Tekken tag tournament 2 is better than tekken tag 1 but i like 1 better. TT2 has all the features of 1,better graphics, and more characters...but i just liked 1 better.

If you dont understand what i meant then i dont know how else to explain it...perhaps i just cant explain why i like other mmorpgs better than Gw2...it might have to do with the social aspect of the game or the feeling of been here done that. Or it might be the damn combat engine.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

WoW released 2005 in Europe. It's obviously better, if you look at sales of GW2 and TSW to WoW. Therefore it's better. It even outsold both of those games.

LotRO is also better than games mentioned above.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

TSW - RPer's paradise with a great world, a great story. The Devs actually care about their community and have answered Petitions as i click send on them more than once. Freedom in play style (unless your a elitist Prick), Constant Updates, Seasonal events that suit the atmosphere. and Ragnar Tornquist is one of the greatest writers this genre has ever seen. 

Rift - Creators of the Dynamic event, Player houseing that is more than just "here is house here is where you can put these items". no Good Vs Evil thing, Beautiful Graphics, Beautiful Character design. Sadly the Armor is a little sexist given that their  Female armor is ment to be a selling feature instead of useful.

Face Of Mankind Pre MS1 - Sandbox with a player driven Economy. Nuff Said

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Easy, Asheron's Call, a 10 year old MMO, blows away GW2.  Really sad that the genre has sunk so far.
  • iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165
    it's personal opinion. Personally, LOTRO is always my fallback mmo. Yep...
  • FieditaFiedita Member UncommonPosts: 25
    DAoC
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    This is subjective but FFXI remains one of the best mmorpgs ever.  It just exemplifies what a mmorpg should be.
  • SimphanaticSimphanatic Member Posts: 92

Who gives a tinker's damn.

OP's question is only another in an endless chain of "what games do you return to" ... "what's your favorite MMO" questions that beg nothing but subjective responses, none of which are terribly valid. And here's why they're invalid responses ...

Most of us form lifelong preferences during our high school years per the type of music we prefer, the objects of our sexual desire, style of cars we like best, preference in books, movies etc etc etc. The same is true in the MMORPGs we prefer. Very likely, all of the games listed herein are the first or second MMORPGs the respondants tried, became comfortable with, and they will remain forever the model by which they judge all future games. So, asking for subjective responses with any expectation of extracting a cogent meaning is an utterly pointless exercise.

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388

Here is how i define a good game: The ammount of time i spend playing the game, monthly or over a year. A gamer will spend time in game if the game is good. Otherwise dude is playing for other reasons. For me a game is better then other because i like/dislike things ive seen in Daoc and FFXI

Dark Age of Camelot - 4 years

Final Fantasy XI - 6 months

Swtor - 5 months

WoW, Aoc, Warhammer - 3 months

Everything else, EQ 1-2, Lineage series, GW1-2, Darkfall, FFXIV, and any mmo that really, really, counts 1month - max 2 months. After playing DAOC for 3 years on Mordred on FFA server  i moved to merlin for some rvr. Then ive missed FFA games and played FFXI for pve...then never ever found a game that hyped me more then 1 month. 

God, i hope in this life i find a game that will beat the hell out of Daoc. Maybe Daoc2 ? Other game ?

I really liked talking about DaoC else i would not made my 3rd post since 2004 :)

ps: i will give another chance to DarkFall, FFXIV and all mmos when they will be live. Im so hungry for another mmo. 

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by Simphanatic   OP's question is only another in an endless chain of "what games do you return to" ... "what's your favorite MMO" questions that beg nothing but subjective responses, none of which are terribly valid. And here's why they're invalid responses ...

Agreed, it would be more interesting to look at some objective measures that make sense to players, like concurent users, or average time spent per player.

(Note that "amount of money made" is an objective measure, but not very relevant to players.))