Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley: "EverQuest Next will be the world's largest sandbox-style MMO ever made"

Comments

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Starpower
    And even if we get what's promised, I'm sure forumgoers will have plenty to bitch about anyway.

a can of beanz you deserve!

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    Amazing looking screenshot.

All of that particle fog. oh my...hang in there, rapidly aging GPU, hang in there :upload a candy heart for the GPU:

I hate particles, still.  Sign of how old the Gamer is, I guess.  Wonder if I should order a new one.

Those are concept arts are they not?

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

Perhaps the only way of seeing anything now that will give you some idea is PS2.

This screenshot is very nice even though it is PS2.

Is that an actual screenshot done with the engine or just a render as promo material or something?

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    Originally posted by Fusion
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    Amazing looking screenshot.

All of that particle fog. oh my...hang in there, rapidly aging GPU, hang in there :upload a candy heart for the GPU:

I hate particles, still.  Sign of how old the Gamer is, I guess.  Wonder if I should order a new one.

Those are concept arts are they not?

the planetside one (last one down) is not i believe. All the EQN ones are. They use the same engine so its thought they will be similar.

• pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

"ZAM's Editor in Chief, Scott Hawkes, spoke to John Smedley today about EQ Next and its scope is exciting. Smedley talked about how far the sandbox of EQ Next would go, including players being able to destroy large parts of the game's landscape."

Interview to be posted within the next day or so. In the mean time, I can't get this out of my head.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by pvpirl

/snip

In the mean time, I can't get this out of my head.

LOL

Originally posted by Aelious

Originally posted by pvpirl /snip  In the mean time, I can't get this out of my head.
    LOL

Autotune stephen hawking gets me every time :P

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

SWG's housing

fk no!

opening the overhead map on a desert planet that Tatooine was supposed to be in the SW lore and see a Manhattan streetmap instead.

"desert planet? All I see is houses!!"

What if:

when you leave your house for too long it begins to decay, becoming a ruin that attracts mobs (humanoids, undead). You can then fight the mobs and destroy the ruins, which packs up the player's house (they don't lose anything, they just have to re-place their house when they come back to the game.

I think this would add to the game, especially if random special mobs are available this way, or resources.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Sad to say but I am really looking forward to this SOE(gags) game.

Now I am gonna take some pills and reevaluate the trash MMOs that keep coming out and hope this one will be better.

well i wasnt expecting that.. not sure how this could be hype in any way? You can either change the environment or you cant i guess..

Exactly. It's a binary proposition. Either a player can have an effect on the terrain or he cannot. Hopefully this also translates into a bit of a minecraft influence as well.

Looking waaay too hard at recent comments about "everybody should stay tuned" and

"we’re one aspect short of that until we’re ready to show, so we’re close now.”

wtf does that even mean

im actually quite impressed. I would never of thought they would go that far with it.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by rungard

im actually quite impressed. I would never of thought they would go that far with it.

Well I will keep watching and hoping but until I see more this is still SOE.

yeah, im stalking anyone confirmed as being involved on twitter lol

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783
    Originally posted by Latronus
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

Its SOE - i believe it when i see it!

And from my experience with $OE, I'm not pinning a lot of hope on seeing it done right.  It would be great if they do pull it off though.

It's Smed...he's certainly not the first snake oil salesman but he is probably the founding king of peddling BS in the MMO world. Call me bitter, call me jaded but at this point I am done with the hype machine. I don't care who it is or how good it sounds, I'm not believing it until I can play it and it doesn't suck.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    SOE could not make a sandbox if they hired thousands of developers.  They do not understand what a sandbox is.
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

SOE could not make a sandbox if they hired thousands of developers.  They do not understand what a sandbox is.

Smed said "sandbox style game" that does not mean it's going to be a total sandbox mmo. I think it will be an hybrid mmo which is more akin to EQ and Vanguard with up to date features. He has already said as much before the news released this week.

ArcheAge will be EQNext main rival imo and that is a hybrid mmo,it's not a total sandbox game.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Smed said "sandbox style game" that does not mean it's going to be a total sandbox mmo. I think it will be an hybrid mmo which is more akin to EQ and Vanguard with up to date features. He has already said as much before the news released this week.

ArcheAge will be EQNext main rival imo and that is a hybrid mmo,it's not a total sandbox game.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

SOE?......and its going to be F2P??

Pass...Pass on many levels.  Dont care if its going to try to be sandbox, i really doubt it will be a good sandbox if its made my SOE....and sandboxes need a decent community to thrive which F2P will wreck.

Originally posted by Crunchy222

SOE?......and its going to be F2P?? Pass...Pass on many levels.  Dont care if its going to try to be sandbox, i really doubt it will be a good sandbox if its made my SOE....and sandboxes need a decent community to thrive which F2P will wreck.

Np that the last we will hear from you in this thread then.

This discussion has been closed.