Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] The Elder Scrolls Online: Reveling in the Combat

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As gamers, combat is an integral part of our happiness with the MMOs we play. Well done combat is equally responsible for a game's success. As part of our ongoing coverage of The Elder Scrolls Online, we take a look at its combat. See what we discovered during our hands on time. Let us know what you think in the comments.

First let’s go over what you have to work with. Any character can use any weapon and wear any armor. Get that everyone? Yes you can be a Sorceror and wear heavy armor. Yes you can swing a great sword as a Templar. It is all there for you. You choose your gear and can progess in your weapons the more you use them. Even better, you can master every weapon in the game if you wish. While playing, I definitely felt like I was not limited to my playstyle based on the weapon choices alone. I went from two handed hammer to sword and shield to dual wield as I leveled.  I just we had seen some ranged weapons in this build, but since the targeting system was in flux from older builds (from tab-targeting to TES-style controls) they weren’t ready for our hands on. 

Read more of Garrett Fuller's The Elder Scrolls Online: Reveling in the Combat.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    I really wasn't looking at this title until the last 2 articles posted on this site. I went from zero hype, to very interested. A great lookng combat system.
  • SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Originally posted by Entris38
    I really wasn't looking at this title until the last 2 articles posted on this site. I went from zero hype, to very interested. A great lookng combat system.

Unsure what you mean regarding combat no one has seen any footage as far as i know.  Frankly im thinking Garret Fuller is being paid off, he says the combat systems are in moment of change from the tab target to more of a TES like control....that statement there is a lie, just because they are implementing a mouse over aiming system...on top of the tab targetting does not make it more TES like that before...yes its better than the skillless tab system but does Tera feel like a TES game? hell no.

It is however nice to read that there are no basic limitations when it comes to gear, i just wonder if each weapon carries its own skill, or are they grouped into a category e.g. 2h, 1h, bow etc.  

I think some people are easily impressed by MMORPGS, myself i need something creative and not a been there done that style game, i want TES onlien to be a great game but as most TES players i have big doubts concerning the combat and game flexibility.  I just have this bad feeling that we will be getting a deeper lore and content version of GW2/Rift and games like that as popular as they are are not what i want in a MMO or RPG game, they simply lack on so many levels and push you through a very linear world.

Again, ive been playing since Daggerfall, and i would want nothing more than a properly done TES online, but...and i feel i speak for many this Zenimax version will more than likely be a very well made game but nothing more than a cash grab while using the TES lore and name....which im betting did not come cheap. 

Will be interesting to see how this game does, i believe it will go down the same road as SWTOR and have legions of dissapointed gamers worldwide.

• NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132
    Originally posted by salenger

Frankly im thinking Garret Fuller is being paid off

Yes I get that feeling too. As to everyting else mentioned in the article, I'll believe it when I see it.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    ye I remember reading articles about how cool combat system is gonna be in TERA and GW2..wont believe anything until I experience it for myself :D
  • WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

Again, please have someone proof read the articles...

" I just we had seen some ranged weapons in this build, but since the targeting system was in flux from older builds (from tab-targeting to TES-style controls) they weren’t ready for our hands on." 

The article had some points where I was like: wait, what?  but I got the gist of it and moved on...

Combat does sound pretty good. If they took combat from Skyrim and popped it in a MMO, it would be more than enough for me... You want to blast me with fireballs, ok.  But to switched to a sword and board, it will take you a moment to hit Q and left click/right click the items and move on.  Everyone shares the same handicap, and again, I would be happy with it.

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

Unsure what you mean regarding combat no one has seen any footage as far as i know.  Frankly im thinking Garret Fuller is being paid off, he says the combat systems are in moment of change from the tab target to more of a TES like control....that statement there is a lie, just because they are implementing a mouse over aiming system...on top of the tab targetting does not make it more TES like that before...yes its better than the skillless tab system but does Tera feel like a TES game? hell no.

It is however nice to read that there are no basic limitations when it comes to gear, i just wonder if each weapon carries its own skill, or are they grouped into a category e.g. 2h, 1h, bow etc.  

I think some people are easily impressed by MMORPGS, myself i need something creative and not a been there done that style game, i want TES onlien to be a great game but as most TES players i have big doubts concerning the combat and game flexibility.  I just have this bad feeling that we will be getting a deeper lore and content version of GW2/Rift and games like that as popular as they are are not what i want in a MMO or RPG game, they simply lack on so many levels and push you through a very linear world.

Again, ive been playing since Daggerfall, and i would want nothing more than a properly done TES online, but...and i feel i speak for many this Zenimax version will more than likely be a very well made game but nothing more than a cash grab while using the TES lore and name....which im betting did not come cheap. 

Will be interesting to see how this game does, i believe it will go down the same road as SWTOR and have legions of dissapointed gamers worldwide.

Sorry, but you are the one who sounds biased... If you read what he wrote, he played a build for the demo, but there is another builid being developed that was not playable.

"The only downside is that the build we played is midway between the old tab-target system and the new free-form targeting so unless you were aimed perfectly on your target you couldn’t even swing and miss.  We were told this will change so that it won’t be “soft-targeting” and instead will feel more natural and truly reticle-based in future builds."

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    I'm also worried about the replayability factor. The ability to choose is what TES is all about. You wanna change the combat mechanics to better fit an mmo...I guess, but it sounds very linear as the guy above me said. The AA is clearly lacking/non-existent. I'm coming around but wary and not completely on board.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    It's funny too that they change their targeting system after the uproar in hopes to quench the flames that are burning their ass.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• tomwoditomwodi Member Posts: 49
    The point here will be, how skills work?

For what i remember in oblivion and even in skyrim, the system work with alot of passive skills, and magick. You never had a bar with dozens of different skills. You realy use your weapon in TES series. In the majority of mmos today, you just equip a weapon for the merit of damage, and spam skills like a crazy maniac.

I want a combat where i realy use my weapon, where i should learn to atack and defend in the right moment. Tired of skills spam combat.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676
    we will see.
    Originally posted by WolfClaws

Sorry, but you are the one who sounds biased... If you read what he wrote, he played a build for the demo, but there is another builid being developed that was not playable.

"The only downside is that the build we played is midway between the old tab-target system and the new free-form targeting so unless you were aimed perfectly on your target you couldn’t even swing and miss.  We were told this will change so that it won’t be “soft-targeting” and instead will feel more natural and truly reticle-based in future builds."

Biased? Not at all just informed.

You stated in one of your comments that throw in Skyrim combat style, well i dont think you understand what is being built here, go take a look at some Tera combat videos...nothing like TES at all, anything tab target has boring combat.  Real time is the only way to go period especially for TES, anything less will be dissapointing.

I think people get fooled too easily, and buy into the media hyping the game up.  FYI i will still probably buy the game just for the fact i have played every TES game to date, but this one  has the least amount of anticipation out of all the titles, and considering how 90% of MMOs feel and play exactly the same with basic changes and different storyline/lore.

I really have low....low expectations for this title considering its being built on a hybrid Hero engine and by Zenimax...Bethseda has nothing to so with this...which already spells BAD imo.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

After Zenimax bought 6 articles worth of positive coverage it seems.

I just wish I could trust anything this site says, but that stopped being a possibility after Age of Conan.

Originally posted by DavisFlight

I just wish I could trust anything this site says, but that stopped being a possibility after Age of Conan.

Everyone works for money, giving honest articles in the MMO industry wouldnt give them much of it.  Lets face it so many hyped titles have be giant letdowns over the last 5 years alone.  But intelligence is making a comeback in gaming :P, i think most can put two and two together and figure out the difference between paid hype and honesty.

• Lowfer69Lowfer69 Member UncommonPosts: 65

Ok I understand the caution when it comes to this game after it's E3 showing. A lot of people were dissapointed in the direction that they were going at that time. The things that are being stated here about hte combat system going action based are being echoed all over the internet on different gaming sites. I have the game liked on Facebook so for the last 3 days I have gotten links to every article that's posted on the internet about the game.

In my opinion the guys at Zenimax listened to the feedback they got from their E3 showing and changed their design direction. It looks to me like they are going with an action based system with a limited amount of more MMO style abilities to make it interesting. To be honest the thought of playing a Skyrim combat system style MMO does not interest me at all. The combat in Skyrim is boring IMO, so adding the limited MMO style abilitied to it should make it a lot more fun.  I don't think MMORPG is being paid off, because if they are then a lot of websites are being paid and I don't think Bethesda/Zenimax are going to do that. This game is a year away from release so they have plenty of time to get the system right and I for one am itching for beta so I can try and make sure it goes in the right direction.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Yep. It looks like it will be a year of Hype Previews and Articles about TESO here at MMORPG.com

Much like they did with SWTOR

Why dont you guys just skip past this whole charade and just go straight to rating it an 8/10

We know youre going to anyway

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165

"Hey guys, wanna just chill and wait and see if TSW can pull off this reticle aiming thing? Then we can just copy that. If it doesn't work I hear the kids like the Tera system. Waddya think?"

"Coo!"  "Yeah! Sounds good!" "Good plan!"

"Ok! lunch break!"

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    This diesn't sound like a WoW clone to me, idk.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Mike-McQueen
    It's funny too that they change their targeting system after the uproar in hopes to quench the flames that are burning their ass.

Why is it 'funny'?

Surely we should be applauding devs that are agile and attentive enough to take on concerns and act on them?

Saying that, still really not interested in this game.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

First they thought to just copy WoW but then they saw GW2 doing well and decided to go for a piece of that pie, it seems!

• KoddoKoddo Member Posts: 151

Biased? Not at all just informed.

You stated in one of your comments that throw in Skyrim combat style, well i dont think you understand what is being built here, go take a look at some Tera combat videos...nothing like TES at all, anything tab target has boring combat.  Real time is the only way to go period especially for TES, anything less will be dissapointing.

I think people get fooled too easily, and buy into the media hyping the game up.  FYI i will still probably buy the game just for the fact i have played every TES game to date, but this one  has the least amount of anticipation out of all the titles, and considering how 90% of MMOs feel and play exactly the same with basic changes and different storyline/lore.

I really have low....low expectations for this title considering its being built on a hybrid Hero engine and by Zenimax...Bethseda has nothing to so with this...which already spells BAD imo.

If bethesda had programmed it, it would be bad still. Severely bug ridden with them feigning ignorance and no real fixes.

And you keep stating it's tab targeting, but there have been two articles now that have stated they are getting rid of that system and moving to the "real-time" system you are talking about. It really seems like you are selectively reading and therefore biased.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The pen is mightier than the sword, and authority is mightier than the pen, but the sword is mightier than authority.

If you can't beat 'em, hold 'em off 'till you come up with a better plan.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Mike-McQueen

Why is it 'funny'?

Surely we should be applauding devs that are agile and attentive enough to take on concerns and act on them?

Saying that, still really not interested in this game.

This.

Ill tell you what is funny, watching people that follow the game closely just to complain in every thread and review about this game...

Its funny that  people expect a "Pros & Cons" review on a game that is still in development ...

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Ok so all these reports of this action style combat which is very reminecent of a TES RPG is false?  I think I would take Garrett Fuller's word over some random "pissT" off forum poster with an agenda.

We get it, you dont like this game, then dont play but I assure you this isnt going anywhere.  TESO is starting to change minds and hearts and will very likely be a big success.  Regardless of their revenue model (which we dont know yet).  So no sense in shooting off saying it will be FTP within 6 months, when it very well could start off with no sub.

Ohh SWTOR sucked and did poorly because it was a WoW clone with mininimal endgame activities and horrible instanced PvP and non working World PvP (Ilum).

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

what r u people talking about? what combat does sound interesting? there is NO WORD about the combat itself? what does the choice of weapon or gear or which click skill you get have to to with the effective combat itself???? the only part about the combat itself cannot be discussed because its "in transition"...i want to know how can i hit thing, is tab targeting or do you get a cross hair, or first person like elderscrools, can i play with a gamepad etc. etc. etc...thats the important question not what skils or weapons you can use...

sorry it just sounds like the same old same old slightly altered but still boring

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Skyrim + 3rd person + targeting + levels + GW2 Weapon system. 

Yeah, couldn't pass on this one faster. 

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    The reporters have been obviously paid off by Zenimax.
    The combat report has been made up as I have inside info that they were standing in place all the time and spamming fireballs.
    On a serious note. The combat sounds like an improvement over GW2 combat, which is great.
    However there are other things which can make or break the game that will not be visible until beta. Such as graphic performance in mass PvP, endgame longevity, pvp balance, technical issues as loading screens etc.
    I have my fingers crossed for this one.