Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] The Elder Scrolls Online: Making Your Character Your Own

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Part of the hands on experience with The Elder Scrolls Online involved character creation. In our latest article covering our time with TESO, we take a look at that and more. Read on!

As everyone reading this can attest to, how attached you become to an MMORPG often relies on how customizable your characters are.  In Elder Scrolls Online, though you won’t be “making” your class as you go along as in Skyrim, you will have quite extensive control over just how your character plays and what he or she excels at doing.  With a limited amount of skills available at any one time, and the fact that every class can wear any armor or wield any weapon, what you wind up with is a metric ton of combinations that I’m glad I don’t have to “balance” myself.  In this part of our week-long coverage of ESO, we’ll dive into the character customization from creation to leveling and beyond.  Be sure to leave a comment on what you think of ESO’s progression so far.

Read more of Bill Murphy's The Elder Scrolls Online: Making Your Character Your Own.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    hmmmm . still doesnot impress me 
  • Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Yeah it's still missing some sort of AA beyond unlocking weapons because there are plenty like me who will only ever use the 1 melee they adore + 1 ranged. I don't understand why they can never develop a strong AA system. It's simple really.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132

I'm reading the text and looking at the images, and thinking... This is Guild Wars 2!

Why on earth would you take a successful single player game, and try to drag it through the MMO market, if just to try to cash in on the "online craze".

This market is already over saturated with exactly this type of game already. Trying to make Elder Scrolls something it's not, is a disservice to the fans and franchise.

• FerrarkFerrark Member CommonPosts: 3
    Why do not try only make a co-op modes on s ingle players game? dreams
  • FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by NameWasTaken

I'm reading the text and looking at the images, and thinking... This is Guild Wars 2!

Why on earth would you take a successful single player game, and try to drag it through the MMO market, if just to try to cash in on the "online craze".

This market is already over saturated with exactly this type of game already. Trying to make Elder Scrolls something it's not, is a disservice to the fans and franchise.

Actually I feel that this will have more in progression terms than GW2, as that basically stops when you get the skills you want, you just get stronger in your preferred build and disregard the rest (unless you pay some hefty coin).

As for the online part, I must say I'm happy with it. I clocked a total of 49,5 hours in Skyrim and that's more than I've been able to get than any other single player game in the past 8 years or so. I really like online games and talking to other people (even on the internet), so I'm happy to see more online games :P And if the game is as good as the single player ones, then I'll be playing :) Also keep in mind that MMORPG is a totally different genre than SPRPG, so there are a lot of things going to be different, which is something people aren't willing to accept. I guess this'll go the same way as SWTOR. In SWTOR it was about heavy instancing, not being able to see other people. Here it's people see other people who actually are in a different version of the world (based on their quest decisions), so boo hoo.

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

So basicaly the same old....everything is about "progression" model that almost every other MMO does to death?

You know, I really wish there were some MMO's that came out with... "Progression isn't a major focus of our game".... so you get to level 10 or 20...max out, no gear grind and everything else was about exploring the game world and adventuring for the sake of adventuring..not getting your next .01 percent bonus point thingy.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

You're not really right at all, as far as I'm concerned.

The single player TES games are a seperate endeavour from this MMO, using a different team and studio. That team is currently working on TESV DLC and FO4, and won't even be considering another TES game for at least 4-5 years.

This team, which comprises mostly of new hires from the MMO world, is a different group all together. Whilst they have interactions with the Bethesda team, and access to the same game bibles, lore and assets, they're not adding to or taking away from anything Bethesda are going to or are likely to do.

So fans, if anything, have potentially gained. I know a lot of people who like the TES lore but dislike the gameplay (much preferring MMOs). TESO will undoubtedly draw a whole new tract of people to the franchise, and won't be detracting from the single player games. And if you don't wish to play it, you don't have to.

Furthermore, it's a lot more built up and developed than GW2. There are a fair few elements that are different. Progression for reasons being one of them ;D The spell system seems interesting. The combat system actually seems like it may be, if they don't cock it up, quite engaging.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

So basicaly the same old....everything is about "progression" model that almost every other MMO does to death?

You know, I really wish there were some MMO's that came out with... "Progression isn't a major focus of our game".... so you get to level 10 or 20...max out, no gear grind and everything else was about exploring the game world and adventuring for the sake of adventuring..not getting your next .01 percent bonus point thingy.

Aha.

I find the entire criticism about progression amusing, especially when it isn't actually well thought out or properly worded.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    ESO still has SWTOR scaled fail all over it. Using a GW2 combat progression model is not a win for an ES game. Being forced to use certain weapons to get a wanted attack-special is lame. It's almost like the ESO devs have never played an ES game. Tragic.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Sounds good so far, I like the being able to wear anything stuff Im reading. The game seems to be coming together nicely, can't wait to hear more.
  • WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

This game sounds like Darkfall, but with a level cap for your HP/Mana/Stam.  That is pretty cool.  You are always advancing in some aspect.  Plus the fact you can change your specs anytime, allows for not feeling trapped in the path you took.

But, here is the question... What happens when you put on Heavy, Medium, Light and cloth armor all at the same time?  Do you raise them all up at the same rate?

I am actually liking the idea of things.

But the most important thing is, what will the PvP model look like?  This will make or break any MMO.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Making MY Character MY own would mean that once I pick my Race/Gender I am free to choose which faction I want to join and what skills/abilities I want to learn.

NOT being forced into a Faction and  shoehorned into a premade Class

DAOC2...errr I mean TESO doesnt allow for that type of freedom

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Sounds like an awesome progression system that will likely be clunky and not implemented as well as this article suggests it might be.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by dotdotdash
    That team is currently working on TESV DLC and FO4, and won't even be considering another TES game for at least 4-5 years.

Uh, slight exagerration.  The next TES game is due out in 4 years if they keep to the same timetable they've had the last 3 games.  Wouldn't be surprised if we see it in 3.  FO4 probably in 1-2, at which point they will immediately be beyond considering and in full development mode for the next TES.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

Making MY Character MY own would mean that once I pick my Race/Gender I am free to choose which faction I want to join and what skills/abilities I want to learn.

NOT being forced into a Faction and  shoehorned into a premade Class

DAOC2...errr I mean TESO doesnt allow for that type of freedom

omg the dreaded shoehorn.  overdramatic much?  I wouldn't be surprised if they let you switch factions in the future, but this way makes more sense lore-wise for now.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Yeah, I don't even really like feeling the need to grind out all the weapon skills for each weapon on my toons in GW2.

I like the part about branching skills and unlocking more as you use a weapon more, because I really liked how they did it with skills like Block and Archery in Skyrim...

But if we're talking 2-3 skills per weapon I'm going to be sad.

I want at LEAST 50 levels with a half dozen or more skills per weapon.

And why does a Shield always always always have to be a 100% defensive weapon for defensive (tank) builds?

Has any game developer ever seen 300? Troy? Seriously...

How/why in RPGs is a Sword + Shield any less effective offensively than a 2H or dual wield?

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by BadSpock

How/why in RPGs is a Sword + Shield any less effective offensively than a 2H or dual wield?

As a weapon a shield is less effective than a sword.  You can damage with it, stun someone with it etc...  The real issue is that in games defense isn't as important as it is in the real world.  In games you aren't likely going to get one shot by much, so taking a few hits is no big deal if you can kill them fast enough is an option.  In the real world you can very easily get "one shot" and thus the role of the shield is quite a bit more important.  I think it is hard to translate this aspect to games and keep them fun.

• notusernotuser Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Ferrark
    Why do not try only make a co-op modes on s ingle players game? dreams

1000000000000000x better idea that create a mmo...

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Yeah, I don't even really like feeling the need to grind out all the weapon skills for each weapon on my toons in GW2.

I like the part about branching skills and unlocking more as you use a weapon more, because I really liked how they did it with skills like Block and Archery in Skyrim...

But if we're talking 2-3 skills per weapon I'm going to be sad.

I want at LEAST 50 levels with a half dozen or more skills per weapon.

And why does a Shield always always always have to be a 100% defensive weapon for defensive (tank) builds?

Has any game developer ever seen 300? Troy? Seriously...

All rpgs except DS

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

For instance light armor will intrinsically have magic bonuses, while medium might have stamina bonuses.A sneaky thief might be drawn to using medium armor, but if he wants to use some spells in his repertoire and gain some magicka benefits.

Things like this makes me sad. Would of liked to wear cloth armor with an affinity to dexterity as a thief..why can I never do this!!

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Nitth

For instance light armor will intrinsically have magic bonuses, while medium might have stamina bonuses.A sneaky thief might be drawn to using medium armor, but if he wants to use some spells in his repertoire and gain some magicka benefits.

Things like this makes me sad. Would of liked to wear cloth armor with an affinity to dexterity as a thief..why can I never do this!!

in the article it mentions you can choose any armor type for any class you choose.  so you will be able to.  just read the info.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I find it funny that nothing have been learned from SWG... This will be a balancing nightmare and a haven for mucnhkins and Min/Max-ers. I feel sorry for "normal" player setting their foot in this game with the goal of PvP. They will be ripped to shreds and worn like a hat.

But that is just my predictison and people are free to retunr and point out to me after release that iw as wrong.

This have been a good conversation

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by tawess

I find it funny that nothing have been learned from SWG... This will be a balancing nightmare and a haven for mucnhkins and Min/Max-ers. I feel sorry for "normal" player setting their foot in this game with the goal of PvP. They will be ripped to shreds and worn like a hat.

But that is just my predictison and people are free to retunr and point out to me after release that iw as wrong.

Its using a world PvP model, which means large scale. The non min/max'ers will add something unique to their faction, while not being forced 1v1

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

The main problem I have with this is the limited 6 slot action bar. That's worst than both GW2 and TSW.

That just doesn't interest me. Especially with the option of hybrid. I would have preferred GW2 model of 10 skills over only having 6. Seem lame so far in that regards.

they should do the 5 weapon skills like GW2 does, with 6 free option skills to go with them, for a total of 11 skills to use.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Swizzy7Swizzy7 Member Posts: 3

I find it amazing at how many people don't want competition or have to work for their gear or work to be the best in a game.  Sure it's a game, but if there is nothign to work for, then the game will die out to the non-hardcore fans of the lore of TES. 

And this game seems to be more like DAOC (WvW with Three factions) than it is to GW2.  GW2 is crap and can't even handle the amount of players on your screen which is what WvW is about.  Plus, if it's like other TES games and you have to aim your skills and have skill shots I'm more for it because it requires more skill than dumb tab-target games.  Also, MMO players want a real WvW game badly, and that is why GW2 was so hyped.  The one thing that has me nervous that this write-up doesn't mention is that TESO wants 1 server.  Sounds good, but the fact that it will be instanced can really hinder the game.  Sounds like GW1 all over again and that game failed and was just its own little niche in the corner.