Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DUST 514 is crap!

124»

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Don't FPS sell pretty well on Consoles?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by tixylix

Not my words....

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/video-game-shows/this-week-in-mmo-show/

40:00

Said it was just crap and wasn't fun  when he played it at E3, the controls were sluggish, the shooting didn't feel right and the graphics sucked. He said there was no colour and it felt like another generic FPS and as a former EVE player he didn't even feel a connection to the EVE Universe, it didn't feel like EVE. Also he didn't understand why it was on the PS3 when the EVE audience is on the PC.

To be fair most  of the problems seem like they can be fixed by making it for PC instead. Once it fails on the PS3 and doesn't sell for shit, CCP will port it to the PC to try get money back and no one will care. So I hope sooner rather than later CCP ditch the PS3 version and make it a F2P game for the PC before this ruins them.

If game is bad, moving it to PC will not make it good. Bad is bad. So you are not making any sense. They targeted PS3 audience exactly because EVE is on PC. EVE players play EVE while non-eve players will play DUST 514 with EVE players as assist. That's it.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Isn't it obvious why they made it for the PS3?

1 - If an EvE fan has time to play on a PC they will probably be playing EvE

2 - Its for EvE fans who want a break from the PC and just want to mess around on the PS3

3 - PS3 gamers who don't have a gaming PC or just don't like PC, can still spend cash on the EvE universe.

By putting it on the PC they are hitting their own market.  What they are doing makes perfect sense. 

If the game sucks, then it sucks.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by stayontarget
    Almost every game that gets ported turns out to be bad no matter if its pc to console or vice versa.  I will never understand why they went the ps3 route with this project.

Because Sony are ok with open servers, Microsoft is not.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by GTwander

It is fairly stupid to release this on consoles.

A lot of people with a PS3/Xbox don't have internet connection to it (believe it or not, I know plenty), and that immediately means "no sale". Then when they ask what the EVE universe is, the answer will again mean "no sale".

They should have marketed this to EVE players, not people completely out of the loop. It will be a lesson for CCP, in time, surely. I doubt selling even 300k copies are going to make up for hte development time as well, it's not like they can ask for a monthly fee on top of the box price... so... yeah, herpa derpa derp.

Someone is going to take the fall for it too.

This whole thread stinks of bull.

Mostly because as a eve player with a ps3, I am able to login and play with damned near thousands of people at any time.

Keep claiming fail kids, it's not that great of a game TRUE.

But a stinking turd it's not, this comes down to "hatin'". They chose the ps3 because the dev library is more supportive to the cash shop model they are rocking.

You guys realize the game is free right?

Right?

You've surely played it.

It's basically bf2 with Eve lore.

Whats the problem? Does a IP have to remain hardcore dedicated to one platform? They aren't allowed to expand?

You wouldn't of played the PC version anyhow. Eves core audience is simmers (Yes we love sims we are space simmers).

Not FPS twitch freaks. Like 12 eve players would of played the game had it been released to pc. Versus the gajillion of people playing at this time right now at 5:04 am PST.

Dust isn't made for eve players, it's made for FPS players who dig eve lore.

If I were going to design a game after years of being PC exclusive I'd of chosen the PS3 or  the 360 as well.

It's better tech sense for a FPS to have everyone on a standard platform. This matters greatly.

---------------------------------

What I do find rubbish is this: Comparing this game to super simplistic as far as the meta game goes. If you ever have seen as detailed a metagame as Dust, I'll call you a liar.

The skills ,etc alone are huge in scope of customization, the drop suits must be all managed through CPU and power for proper mods...there is a really deep class building mechanism in this game that destroys all the comparission.

-----------------------------------

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by korat102

Ported games, or even those designed for more than one platform always have issues. Cryptic originally designed their Champions Online title to run on an X-Box as well. As a result, the controls are such a pain to use. Key mappings change depending on what you're doing or what window is open. Calling it awkward would be very kind to it. 

CO has the best key mapping/options outhere. You can set the game to be played like traditional MMO or shooter style. WHen I played the game, I remember there was a guide about how to optimize the game controls to different styles.

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Corthala
    Originally posted by korat102

Ported games, or even those designed for more than one platform always have issues. Cryptic originally designed their Champions Online title to run on an X-Box as well. As a result, the controls are such a pain to use. Key mappings change depending on what you're doing or what window is open. Calling it awkward would be very kind to it. 

CO has the best key mapping/options outhere. You can set the game to be played like traditional MMO or shooter style. WHen I played the game, I remember there was a guide about how to optimize the game controls to different styles.

Correct, I use a keyboard and mouse for it and sometimes when I'm feeling fancy pants jr. I'll use my controller (for those rush the turret moments)

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    Don't FPS sell pretty well on Consoles?

Based on history, Console FPS fans don't tend to like Large Scale FPS like this, 

My theory is that with more people fighting, you have less of a chance of being the top dog in the match, so this turns people off.

So small scale FPS are more popular on consoles, vs large scale being popular on PC, since PC are more open to radicle ideas like that, while Console FPS been limited by hardware for many years, which their playerbase grew into that mold.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design