Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So who's coming back?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

My sub has not technically run out yet, so I can honestly say I never really left.

I am interested to know who is coming back when it does go F2P next month.  I am currently playing GW2 but plan to play TOR again with the incoming change.

curious what type of game you consider swtor.. i couldn't imagine you consider it a mmorpg... played like a co-op srpg to me when I played personally

as for the OP if they add actual space combat i'd consider it but till then probably not.

I do consider it an MMORPG.

interesting considering this is what you have to say about gw2 not being a mmorpg 

" All your dialogue is pretty much scripted already with little input aside from the occasional faction or strategy choice (from what I have seen).  What if I don't like those choices my character said?  Too bad.  What if I don't like the skills that have been assigned to me?  Too bad. See, there is very little choice in what you can do to customize your character.

This is all fine and dandy but there are a lot of people who are saying they feel this same detachment from the game and their character.  I am not alone.  I think this is one of the big reasons why.  Open your eyes a little.  I know you have invested almost five thousand posts into this game, but maybe, just maybe others see it different."

swtor you are given 3 dialouge options all of which have pre-determined outcomes and many which don't even match what you actually picked. You have no choice in where and when you go to places as you follow your personal story because your choices do not change this.. just odd because while I didn't find the stories in swtor bad i felt more detached in this instance from my character than say gw2. Interesting standard you have there

Forgot to mention the talent tree/skill system in swtor is much more restrictive than the trait system of gw2 for example one IA only has a couple playstyles they can play.. in gw2 each class has a ton of playstyles depending on trait setup, utility skills setup, gear loadout, rune/sigil setup

It's a limited linear themepark, but I do find it still containing enough RPG elements to consider it as such.

A lot of people have criticisms that the game feels too much like an SRPG and I can understand those complaints.  This particular game requires a rather large population to keep that MMO feel, otherwise it can seem lonely at times.

Why are you doing a SWTOR vs. GW2 debate here?  I am just asking who is coming back.  If you want that kind of thread, make one (although it might be against the rules of conduct as it will just encourage flaming).

wasn't trying to start any debate.. ill make another thread if it's really worth one:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

I honestly never got a chanc to play this game. I was burried in work when SWTOR released. I bought the game but never got enough time..i think i played it for a week or so in total.

So i will surely give it a try.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Not me man, this game is a huge step backwards. Basically turning MMO's into single player massively online games. Will never go back.
  • ByntBynt Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Played SWTOR from early access and I will continue to play for a long time. For me $12.99 a month is a very low price for what I get every day from this game. I am playing every day for few hours and I am never bored. I live lives of my characters though. I am one with them LOL. This game is amazing in this aspect . Actually, it is amazing how it affected my creativity, as I started even to write some fan fiction LOL, I even posted one of my stories on fan fiction forum. English is my second language so it made me work double hard image LOL. In other words... this game gave me more then just play time, it actually makes me better in many other ways... Kudos for Bioware writers image.

That awesome, I really love the stories in this game too!  The experience is fantastic and I love the different twists and turns, the drama is great.  Good to hear how its inspired you and good luck with your future fiction!

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

(second post)

well.......

Jung Ma server was my home too for a short time, then i bounced between that and Lord Artass ( lord lard ass :p

the RP community had events, but was still doing in house stuff - some times it was fun, other times , some groups would have you pass a friggin DNA test to see if your a "elite pvp hacking jerk"  or not..... just after a while of jumping through hoops and being diplomatic - my care meter ran bone dry, and got more fun just solo.

but even soloing in SWTOR has its limits, and not very rewarding ones either.

So, stories first..then..maybe.....Maybe abit of  RP if  i  run into something that grabs my interest.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I would really like to return to finish my character's story, which I was really enjoying.  However, I'm a healer on my main and I heard they were nerfed pretty badly, and I wonder about having good enough gear to finish my story too, but.....like the poll said, I'll return and "see how it goes."  I doubt that I'll be inspired to do it on a pay to play basis though, so just free to play for now.  We'll see if it's possible to do what I want on free to play.  If not.....no great loss, I still have GW2.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Edit: I already stated in numerous threads I think GW2 is a great game.  I enjoy it.  I still play it.  Can't I enjoy it as is?  Or is that not enough?  Must I be utterly in-love with it and abandon all other MMOs to satisfy some here?

lol i don't know why people thnk I care what game they like or hate just so many inconsistancies and biases between games.. anyways i digress.. just found it odd you think swtor is a mmorpg yet your reasoning to call others non-rpgs is very present in this game.. anyways moving on

oh back to the OP i actually MAY jump in to finish my story but not sure we will se.. the star wars lover in me says I need to but the gamer in me just can't.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133

oh back to the OP i actually MAY jump in to finish my story but not sure we will se.. the star wars lover in me says I need to but the gamer in me just can't.

The completionist in me needs to, but... I feel like I would be headdesking my entire way through.

Did they change a lot? Or is it just slightly more polished with more content patches?

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

I will most likely log in and stare at my Jedi toon.

Then I'll remember how boring the game actually is and log out.

Shame tbh.

• VahidVahid Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I have had a sub since launch and will continue to sub past the freemium lanch.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I will rejoin my level 42 toon and bounce back and forth in my limited time between both games. They both are different and both have their strengths and weaknesses. For me, the bouncing back and forth between both will extend my interest in both. If want a strong story and play solo PVE, Ill play SWTOR. If I want more of join in with others with a cheesy story, then I play GW2. For example, Im now level 43 in GW2, but Im getting tired of the snow filled lands. Thats when I feel like I should switch to SWTOR. Then I play that for a bit, then Ill miss the world of GW2 as it really is a beautiful one :-). I do find I like the join with others formula and the combat better than SWTORs, but again, both games have their strengths and weaknesses.

There Is Always Hope!

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    After playing GW2... I'd say I'll be heading here to play a bit. Still uneasy about their F2P restrictions but I did find some enjoyment at least out of the personal story. Given the restrictions not being to tight, I'll likely be playing it. Generick as it is I've honestly found much more enjoyment out of level on SWTOR then GW2... *cringe at the fact* ... so I'll probably be using this for alt leveling thrills. Not sure how well it will be (wasn't big on many of the side quests) but hopefully its able to be a nice little casual play on the side when I'm needing a rift break. :)
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I'm bored to tears of GW 2, so I'll probably give this another try once it's free. The way they've done F2P sounds pretty lame though especially the weekly limits on PvP matches and space combat. Still playing another class story or two could be an adequate way to kill time for a while.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

misread nm

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

SWTOR needs way too much work to ever draw me back to it.

I was never so excited to play a new game and SWTOR completely let me down. I will never again get that fired up for a new game.

• DrogenDrogen Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I want to, and I mean I really really want to because I seriously enjoyed my time with the game. Especially my Sith warrior. However, I am always reminded of why I left and that was waiting for content and I don't mean oh I'm bored they need to add more I mean content I thought was coming really soon, but I just kept getting fractions of. Then I wonder how long it will take them to release new content of the game in it's current state which I don't believe is horrible, I hear it's a standard sub population just not EA or public demand huge. I was thinking that since this was a story based game they'd be releasing new story content, kinda like how Funcom plans for Secret World. I was expecting a continuation on raid stories and so forth and was super excited about it but I just don't know. I kinda want another company to look at this and take another shot at a Star Wars MMO. I never played Galaxies, but I'm not sure I completely want that either. Maybe a hybrid of the two where I can get my Sith Juggernaut on with cooler armor, more open progression, and more things to do.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Edit: I already stated in numerous threads I think GW2 is a great game.  I enjoy it.  I still play it.  Can't I enjoy it as is?  Or is that not enough?  Must I be utterly in-love with it and abandon all other MMOs to satisfy some here?

lol i don't know why people thnk I care what game they like or hate just so many inconsistancies and biases between games.. anyways i digress.. just found it odd you think swtor is a mmorpg yet your reasoning to call others non-rpgs is very present in this game.. anyways moving on

If you think my reasoning is the same, then you haven't read or understood my points very well.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Thank you for the creative poll options.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    SWTOR doesn't have the full MMO, they lost the Massive part of it so its Multiplayer Online.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179

I have to go with 'I hate everything it stands for.'   

I managed to get my Bounty Hunter to max level, almost fully PvP gear'd (which was terrible btw with their horrid RNG for PvP gear), and through the Bounty Hunter's most god-awful story line I've ever went through in an RPG.   I really didn't want to spacebar through the story, as I'm usually not a watch the cutscene and read the quest type of player, but by the end of it I really wish I had.

The only thing I ended up doing was queuing for battlegrounds in the end.  I believe F2P you can play only 3 BG's per week?  If so, definately no reason for me to even redownload it.   Hell they even scrapped the little open world PvP zone they had didn't they? 

Rift's PvP has always been terribly unbalanced but I'd much rather resub to it and play their new expansion than return F2P to SWTOR.   Or even better, I'll just load up League of Legends.   As all these new MMORPG's are nothing but glorified lobby games anymore anyways, MOBA > MMORPG PvP for me.    Now if it was actually open world PvP, immersive, that could be a different story...  (I'm not talkin hardcore full lootz, just in the actual damn world not some BG instance or even PvP only zone to throw us in).

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by bakabröd
    still playing and having a blast.

i bet u play a jc or si

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • KissThaRingKissThaRing Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by bigsmiff

SWTOR needs way too much work to ever draw me back to it.

I was never so excited to play a new game and SWTOR completely let me down. I will never again get that fired up for a new game.

This.

The problem with SWTOR is its the same ol same ol. It's not even *worth* the time to play. I've played "TOR" a thousand times before TOR was actually released, its called "WoW" and all its clones it spawned. For someone like me, who has a full time job and schooling, I don't have time to play a game that I've already played before, I wanted something new and TOR didn't deliver in the slighest bit. Maybe its my age (28) but it just seems the glory years for MMO's are over, I can't get into them anymore, I used to be attached to characters in MMO's (SWG, CoH, WoW, etc) but now its like I just don't care, modernized MMO's have taken the "character" out of your character, if that makes any sense.

Well, thats my small and meaningless rant for the day. I think the only reason I even check these forums is because SWTOR really was the last hope for me, I remember being pumped for this game, thinking it was gonna be the dream MMO that I was always waiting for... got 2 months in and I facepalmed, this game was a disaster. Oh well, maybe something might rekindle my spirts to play again, but F2P isn't it.

I enjoy undercutting people in the market place - it's the only PvP a crafter gets.

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

I would like to come back. I don't feel that the f2p option will draw me back because i already played the stories.

I will wait on ship/hanger/housing features

the space combat upgrade

and pvp to be somewhat playable and some instance of open world pvp re-instated.

I do not care for flashpoints, or gear grinds or any of that. I want to have a hangar full of ships, to role play, and to "live" in a galaxy far far away. When they give me that feeling i'll be back.

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

F2P is nice but I left becouse I beat the game ( never thought I would say that in a MMo but I did). 

The only way i will come back is if they put Space Combat in the game. Not the Star Fox crap that is there now.

I guess im just waiting for SWG 2 to be made.

• altair4altair4 Member Posts: 158
    I'll be back to level a char with a friend. Gonna play it like a coop singleplayer game and ignore all flawed MMO-aspects of it. Not gonna spend a dime in their shop.