Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] PlanetSide 2: SOE Live - Beta Testing and the Future

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During last weekend's SOE Live event in Las Vegas, the PlanetSide 2 team was on hand to talk about all things beta and post-launch excitement. See what we discovered in our exclusive report.

Matt expressed his thanks to the beta testers, acknowledging that testing a game like PlanetSide 2 is unique from the perspective that testing a game like this is unique. The development team relies on thousands of people to play the game, to determine what works or what doesn’t. To that end, alterations to PS2 have all been largely based on player feedback. With weekly updates coming out, it’s clear the team is committed to making a great game.

Read more of Suzie Ford's PlanetSide 2: SOE Live - Beta Testing and the Future.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AalamrAalamr Member UncommonPosts: 98
    ..player owned bases... Can't wait!!!!!!

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    say what you want about SOE, Planetside 2 team is doing amazing work with the game.
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    I've been waiting for the release some time now, but can't fight the urge! If I buy the 39.99 squad thing will I get access to play this beast? I am a PS1 vet so I know what I am getting into, this will be my go to mmofps.
  • QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Aeolron
    I've been waiting for the release some time now, but can't fight the urge! If I buy the 39.99 squad thing will I get access to play this beast? I am a PS1 vet so I know what I am getting into, this will be my go to mmofps.

Yes, you will get beta access if you buy the Alpha Squad package, but you can also go to http://facebook.com/logitechgaming. They're running a promotion until the 26th where if you like them on Facebook, you get a beta key instantly (of course, that's assuming they haven't run out by now). If you don't have a Facebook account, just create a dummy account.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• mikecacklemikecackle Member Posts: 151

the key to this games upcoming failure will be what its exactly using for "promotIon" which is player feedback, listening to what the players want..

In todays current casual gamer environment, this is a recipe for the upcoming disaster... While some feedback there is crucial, listening to the overwhelming voices of the kids who want this that and this, seeing the very statements and how "trollful" each individuals statements were... I can see why this game continued to lose its fun day after day of development :/ And it will continue to do so.. Unfortunately the real gamers, that undersand this that and this.. don't post.. I know, I was in a large guild of ps1 veterans drooling for this game to come out. yet they don't chime in a bit of feedback, just play and wait for launch... Meanwhile the 10 year olds continue to chirp away, now, with enough missing core features.. its now not even a resource game..

Gimme Gimme Gimme, okay fine, but on a 4-10 curve per item... just keep spending the coins.. eh?

• DrealgrinDrealgrin Member UncommonPosts: 156

PM me for a free Planetisde 2 beta key if u want one.

• lupusokamilupusokami Member UncommonPosts: 1

What is up with that pick... VANU SOVEREIGNTY always get the hate's come on give us a little love there. 

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Cmon guys you don't stand a chance against NC:) We had a first total win and we let you now to conquer something because it is beta. Be ready for destruction
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by mikecackle

the key to this games upcoming failure will be what its exactly using for "promotIon" which is player feedback, listening to what the players want..

In todays current casual gamer environment, this is a recipe for the upcoming disaster... While some feedback there is crucial, listening to the overwhelming voices of the kids who want this that and this, seeing the very statements and how "trollful" each individuals statements were... I can see why this game continued to lose its fun day after day of development :/ And it will continue to do so.. Unfortunately the real gamers, that undersand this that and this.. don't post.. I know, I was in a large guild of ps1 veterans drooling for this game to come out. yet they don't chime in a bit of feedback, just play and wait for launch... Meanwhile the 10 year olds continue to chirp away, now, with enough missing core features.. its now not even a resource game..

Gimme Gimme Gimme, okay fine, but on a 4-10 curve per item... just keep spending the coins.. eh?

The PS2 forums too small to hold your bull? :).

Theres the vets that want PS1, and theres the vets that want PS2. Get over yourself and stop talking for the entire vet community.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

been having fun testing this over the last few months.. really impressed with SOE and how they have been listening ot us testers..

looking forward to release.

• SircaSirca Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Wish I could get the same gfx quality on my PC as the screenies which is far from being the case (unless you run a Cray maybe).
  • SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

"Matt told us that he believes that Planetside 2, even warts and all in beta, is still the best massive PvP game out there"

It was, the latest patches are introducing nothing but more and more bugs, random crashes, poor fps etc...

I wish companies would polish their product and release when ready. They must lose tons of income by rushing out games and PS2 is looking like another bug ridden game unless they manage to pull of a miracle.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    I've been in beta for quite some time and I strongly doubt they're ready for a Nov 20 release but it is what it is.  So get ready public for PS2 warts and all.

Steam: Neph

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by mikecackle

Real gamers huh?  You sir, are exactly what is wrong with the MMO genre.  Such arrogant narrow mindedness has no place in the world of gaming.

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263

"“We want you to have PTSD when you’re finished playing PlanetSide 2. We want to ‘stain your brain’ for years to come!”"

...did he really tell people he WANTS them to have PTSD? Does he even know what that means?

I expect a comment like that from some random poster in a forum...but from someone who actually speaks to the media as part of their job...that is just crazy. 

• AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262

I'd be careful getting too hyped.  I was, myself.  Old PS1 vet here, too.  It's very little like the original, scrapped a lot of the good ideas.

• SircaSirca Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Originally posted by Aconsar

I'd be careful getting too hyped.  I was, myself.  Old PS1 vet here, too.  It's very little like the original, scrapped a lot of the good ideas.

Unfortunately I must agree with that statement; not that I was looking for a PS1 re-vamp but...

Still, I deeply regret my alpha squad investment

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

I was going to say 'hard to fail with such a winning formula' but then I remembered core combat and the BFRs...

As long as they don't get silly ideas like that in their heads again it's set to be a frickin amazing game given how well it plays even at this beta stage. 

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by SysFail

"Matt told us that he believes that Planetside 2, even warts and all in beta, is still the best massive PvP game out there"

It was, the latest patches are introducing nothing but more and more bugs, random crashes, poor fps etc...

I wish companies would polish their product and release when ready. They must lose tons of income by rushing out games and PS2 is looking like another bug ridden game unless they manage to pull of a miracle.

All we can hope is that all these "testers" are actually giving feedback on the bugs, so they might be fixed. It seems they are doing a really good job when bugs are reported to get them fixed. I assuming most people are treating it like a live game and not submitting feedback, per typical, and running to gaming sites to cry about it(no, i'm not pointing a finger at you).

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Been playing this for a few months and my original thoughts of  "lol SOE" are totally gone.

It's a very solid title thats going to surprise a lot of people.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I've been beta testing for the last three months and the game is in worse condition now than it was when I first started testing.  Not only in the sheer amount of bugs, but the severity of them as well.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Been testing it for a week now and i can confirm that PS2 still has alot of buggs.

Sudden suicide

falling damage when you are just walking

grenades are bugged

C4 is bugged

Mines are bugged

And prices for weapons are increased with 1000%...

it nice to work towards a new weapon, but its not nice to lay down massive amounts of hours to gain  5% damage.

Its still epic fun, but there are still so many things that needs to be fixed and tweaked and only 7 days to go :)