Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Ganking?

Does this game offer the possibility to attack other players at any place, at any time and regardless whether they want it or not?

Basically I would be happy if it offers as much "ganking" as WoW offers, but newer games seem to rather take the "consensual PvP only" route, which I do not enjoy.

 

«1

Comments

  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Detroit, MIPosts: 376Member
    The problem with WoW is ganking is the only type of world PvP. ESO is going to have RvR with territory control. So already, that puts it light years ahead of WoW for me. I can't stand instanced arena PvP type crap.
  • JoePesciJoePesci SRPosts: 12Member

    That may be nice, but will players of the opposing factions run around in "god-mode" making them unattackable by other players while they quest, stay around in cities or just travel through the persistent (?) world and so on?

     

    I can accept that players of my own faction are protected by some mysterious higher force that never explains itself, but I can't accept this for the opposing factions. It takes away too much excitement from a game if I cannot attack things that I normally should be able to attack and if those things cannot attack me. NPCs just feel dead to me, no unpredictable intentions and no emotions. Real evil can only come from other players, IF the game allows them to be a threat, to be evil.

  • MackehMackeh LondonPosts: 164Member

    If they follow the path of SWTOR then it's fail time. 

    WOW PvP was immense imo until they added battlegrounds and ruined it all.  World pvp done correct is just amazing, done wrong it will kill the game fast.  SWTOR decided to keep the factions apart as much as possible and thus ruined any immersion.  Blizzard said bollocks to that and just let us fight all the way from lvl 16 - 60 and boy it was so much fun.

     

    I doubt we will ever see anything like that again though, the devs now seem to want to control everything with capturable stuff and telling us where and when we should fight, they just don't understand gamers, let us make our own battles, Blizzard did and it's still going strong TM v SS anyone?

     

    BTW yes WOW sucks now, has done since WOTLK and yes I left years ago and won't ever be going back, so shut up before you start crying about how much WOW sucks, we all know.

     

  • TraugarTraugar Robbinsville, NCPosts: 183Member Uncommon

    Wow this is sad.  I remember when WoW launched we laughed at how carebear the pvp, and game in general was.  Now the rest of the games have made it so bad that we hold launch vanilla wow pvp in high regard.  Devs really have started sucking.  

     

    BTW this wasn't a bash on wow.  I have had many good times in wow.  This was simply an observation from way back when.  

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    If they copy daoc they will have core servers (pvp areas / 3 separated pve areas), ffa server like mordred (go anywhere attack anyone) and a coop server (no pvp at all, go anywhere, cross faction group)
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Sugar Grove, VAPosts: 1,545Member Uncommon

    It is like DAoC PvP with 3 factions with the PvP taking place in Cyrodil.

    Even FFA PvP servers in DAoC died off quickly so I am glad the PvP is more controlled.

    image

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Oh I forgot they are going this megaserver with shards approach, just one server with core ruleset and multiple instances of zones spawning when full then.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Dublin, OHPosts: 3,415Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Oh I forgot they are going this megaserver with shards approach, just one server with core ruleset and multiple instances of zones spawning when full then.

    exactly so how is PVP going to work in a single mega server? Will they have a DAOC style "fronteer" where you go to capture things?   or...

  • JoePesciJoePesci SRPosts: 12Member

    Diablo, though not an MMO, went a similar carebear route:

    Diablo 1: I could attack anyone without warning, instantly at the moment I changed my mind

    Diablo 2: I had to go to town to declare hostility, the other players got a clear warning (I guess portals were also somehow blocked)

    Diablo 3: lol, no PvP at all and the PvP that they will add later will be 100% consensual

     

    What's the problem or what has changed since Ultima Online? MMOs from major companies get more and more protective, they want to protect the players from their own evil actions. PvP is only allowed in a controlled environment. Why? I don't know, maybe that's what the majority wants, it's the only explanation I can find.

  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Detroit, MIPosts: 376Member
    Originally posted by JoePesci

    What's the problem or what has changed since Ultima Online? MMOs from major companies get more and more protective, they want to protect the players from their own evil actions. PvP is only allowed in a controlled environment. Why? I don't know, maybe that's what the majority wants, it's the only explanation I can find.

     

    I dunno. But I can't stand the carebear shittyness that most MMO's are. Pretty much all I care about is PvP, and at this moment, there are no MMO's on the market that interest me at all. Maybe TESO will be different.

    *shrug*

    Gotta wait and see.

  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAPosts: 4,813Member
    Originally posted by JoePesci

    Diablo, though not an MMO, went a similar carebear route:

    Diablo 1: I could attack anyone without warning, instantly at the moment I changed my mind

    Diablo 2: I had to go to town to declare hostility, the other players got a clear warning (I guess portals were also somehow blocked)

    Diablo 3: lol, no PvP at all and the PvP that they will add later will be 100% consensual

     

    What's the problem or what has changed since Ultima Online? MMOs from major companies get more and more protective, they want to protect the players from their own evil actions. PvP is only allowed in a controlled environment. Why? I don't know, maybe that's what the majority wants, it's the only explanation I can find.

    It's what happens if companies want to make a profit now days. Even UO split Tram and Fel. Back in the day it wasn't bad but now these FFA PvP type of games bring in the E-Thug wannabes and those like the goon squad that harass people and try to get others to do the same in the hopes they can get someone to commit suicide. PvP use to be full of PvP'rs, now its full of those that would rather attack someone 20 levels below them that are half dead. Sad days :( 

    I have no idea what it will take to get FFA PvP up to a more acceptable format for players and developers but hopefully it does come back in some form or another. 

     

  • PyxxPyxx Cadiz, OHPosts: 22Member

    This is my 1st post on here, but I wanted to say that if they do offer pvp, I couldn't imagine it be just opened to anywhere. They would have to give new starting players a place to be able to get familiar with their class and get some possible gear before venturing out into the open wilderness, and then getting thrashed by opposing players.

     

    Honestly, I would feel better on a pve server myself; however a little pvp is not so bad. as long as it's to my discretion. Just like how they do the war factions on Skyrim, it could be a good idea to have that like a battleground or WvW or RvR. Or possibly even have it as Faction vs Faction. Which is the route I would go. Then let's say you're the opposing faction coming to gank a new person; You go into enemy territory, then for each npc (Quest NPC's excluded!) or player you kill, then you would lose more faction making you either nuetral or Hated more. That was one thing about the Faction Gains / Loss in Everquest I've always liked. It gave me a sense of awareness to know when and who to attack and not to. At the same time if you've became hated too much then you wouldn't even be able to get into the cities due to the fact that guards could see through invisibility or stealth.

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Cyrodil in the game is basicly daocs frontier.

    Only there will be multiple instances :( due to the shaded mega server thing.
  • AusareAusare adamstown, MDPosts: 850Member
    Seeing as they probably want a successful game I bet controlled PvP.
  • EntinerintEntinerint brooklyn, NYPosts: 843Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by JoePesci

    That may be nice, but will players of the opposing factions run around in "god-mode" making them unattackable by other players while they quest, stay around in cities or just travel through the persistent (?) world and so on?

     

    I can accept that players of my own faction are protected by some mysterious higher force that never explains itself, but I can't accept this for the opposing factions. It takes away too much excitement from a game if I cannot attack things that I normally should be able to attack and if those things cannot attack me. NPCs just feel dead to me, no unpredictable intentions and no emotions. Real evil can only come from other players, IF the game allows them to be a threat, to be evil.

    No, players from other factions won't be on god-mode because...

    ...get ready for it...

    ...YOU ARE LOCKED INTO YOUR OWN FACTION ZONES!  While in the PvE zones, you will only ever see players from your own faction, because you can't cross the borders.

    Then you go into Cyrodiil and PvP.  But otherwise, you are questing and levelling in your own territory.  In order to see the whole world, you need to roll an alt on the other two factions.

  • nationalcitynationalcity Decatur, MIPosts: 330Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Entinerint
    Originally posted by JoePesci

    That may be nice, but will players of the opposing factions run around in "god-mode" making them unattackable by other players while they quest, stay around in cities or just travel through the persistent (?) world and so on?

     

    I can accept that players of my own faction are protected by some mysterious higher force that never explains itself, but I can't accept this for the opposing factions. It takes away too much excitement from a game if I cannot attack things that I normally should be able to attack and if those things cannot attack me. NPCs just feel dead to me, no unpredictable intentions and no emotions. Real evil can only come from other players, IF the game allows them to be a threat, to be evil.

    No, players from other factions won't be on god-mode because...

    ...get ready for it...

    ...YOU ARE LOCKED INTO YOUR OWN FACTION ZONES!  While in the PvE zones, you will only ever see players from your own faction, because you can't cross the borders.

    Then you go into Cyrodiil and PvP.  But otherwise, you are questing and levelling in your own territory.  In order to see the whole world, you need to roll an alt on the other two factions.

    Probably this.......

     

    I'm not so sure about the having to roll an alt to see all the world I think you will be able to go anywhere and do anything and they will have some areas that are contested or open world PVP.....

     

    If you actually had to roll an alt to see the other areas I wouldn't mind it, but I'm also an altoholic and it would be nice not have to do the same content over and over while leveling different factions.....

  • EntinerintEntinerint brooklyn, NYPosts: 843Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by nationalcity
    Originally posted by Entinerint
    Originally posted by JoePesci

    That may be nice, but will players of the opposing factions run around in "god-mode" making them unattackable by other players while they quest, stay around in cities or just travel through the persistent (?) world and so on?

     

    I can accept that players of my own faction are protected by some mysterious higher force that never explains itself, but I can't accept this for the opposing factions. It takes away too much excitement from a game if I cannot attack things that I normally should be able to attack and if those things cannot attack me. NPCs just feel dead to me, no unpredictable intentions and no emotions. Real evil can only come from other players, IF the game allows them to be a threat, to be evil.

    No, players from other factions won't be on god-mode because...

    ...get ready for it...

    ...YOU ARE LOCKED INTO YOUR OWN FACTION ZONES!  While in the PvE zones, you will only ever see players from your own faction, because you can't cross the borders.

    Then you go into Cyrodiil and PvP.  But otherwise, you are questing and levelling in your own territory.  In order to see the whole world, you need to roll an alt on the other two factions.

    Probably this.......

     

    I'm not so sure about the having to roll an alt to see all the world I think you will be able to go anywhere and do anything and they will have some areas that are contested or open world PVP.....

     

    If you actually had to roll an alt to see the other areas I wouldn't mind it, but I'm also an altoholic and it would be nice not have to do the same content over and over while leveling different factions.....

    You would have to roll an alt, it is confirmed.

    Personally I'm not an altaholic, but for them trying to push the "faction loyalty" thing this is a bad way of going about it.  Which alt's faction are you most loyal to?

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,272Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by OgreRaper
    The problem with WoW is ganking is the only type of world PvP. ESO is going to have RvR with territory control. So already, that puts it light years ahead of WoW for me. I can't stand instanced arena PvP type crap.

    No it's not RvR, it's 3 faction PvP.

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,272Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ausare
    Seeing as they probably want a successful game I bet controlled PvP.

    like swtor and tsw and gw2? "Controling pvp didn't help any of these games.

     

    PvP in a pvp area is a battleground no matter how you dress it up.

  • MavekMavek Voorhees, NJPosts: 138Member
    I thought the pvp in this game similar ti GW2 as it was a gigantic instanced area and that true open world pvp was non-existant. Anyne confirm or deny?
  • EntinerintEntinerint brooklyn, NYPosts: 843Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Mavek
    I thought the pvp in this game similar ti GW2 as it was a gigantic instanced area and that true open world pvp was non-existant. Anyne confirm or deny?

    Correct, it's like DAOC.  Imagine GW2 and make those four PvP zones one big zone.

  • baphametbaphamet omaha, NEPosts: 2,836Member Uncommon

    i am thinking (from reading the review) you will not come across any rival faction players unless you enter Cyrodiil.

  • EntinerintEntinerint brooklyn, NYPosts: 843Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by baphamet

    i am thinking (from reading the review) you will not come across any rival faction players unless you enter Cyrodiil.

     

    Correct, you are locked out of 2/3rds of the world.

  • IstavaanIstavaan CorkPosts: 1,350Member
    Originally posted by baphamet

    i am thinking (from reading the review) you will not come across any rival faction players unless you enter Cyrodiil.

     

    that has not been confirmed.

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Your locked out of 4 / 7ths of the world.
    2 pve provinces per faction
    1 shared pvp province
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.