Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is it about EVE that keeps people playing?

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Karahandras

Ignore the niche etc comments as it has more subs than most themeparks combined.

Oh wow. If someone didn't know any better they'd believe you.

There is only a handful of themeparks with more subscribers than EvE.

Yeah, and Eve is the only high profile sandbox in the market.

So what? that doesn't change the plain, unvarnished fact that it has more subs than ~95% of the "themepark" MMOs. EVE really is a bit too big nowadays to write handwave away as "niche".

There are so many different playstyles that can be accomodated within EVE that perhaps you could call it "multi-niche" if that makes you happy. Start now - it'll be indisputably true when Dust 514 launches anyway, so you'll be able to claim that you were ahead of the crowd.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Originally posted by johnjec

Thanks for all of the replies. In reading these posts there are two things that become apparent. First, when it comes to MMO's and PVP, I always picture a guy with a sword jumping over me, bunny hopping around trying to kill me. I don't think that is what EVE is about. I get the impetion that decisions have to be well thought out and personality does matter. Secondly, I also get the impretion that you guys are not 12 and 14 years old. Instead of being barraged my meaningless antics, it seems there is a level of maturity in this community. I'm also thinking that if there are indeed particular people in the game that control vast areas of space and wealth, it may also stand to reason that these people are probably a cut above the rest in real life. Is this possible? Jut my .02

Yes and no. A certain amount of competence is needed by the leadership of an alliance for that alliance to prevail in 0.0, but the game makes it easy to keep trying and failing badly. There are certainly plenty of idiots in EVE, but at least in EVE idiots are a valuable resource for the clever players, as well as an endless fount of entertainment.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

the only thing prevent me plays EVE, is the monthly sub ...

i believe its the best MMO out there, i have played it for 4 months its awesome but i am lazy :P

i would like to keep flying and scanning systems ...

btw there is no other "space" MMO like EVE, SWtoR has no connection ..!

Originally posted by loulaki

the only thing prevent me plays EVE, is the monthly sub ...

i believe its the best MMO out there, i have played it for 4 months its awesome but i am lazy :P

i would like to keep flying and scanning systems ...

btw there is no other "space" MMO like EVE, SWtoR has no connection ..!

Well, EVE does have a viable "free to play" option available to you. If you can scrape up 20 million ISK per day (about 30-40 minutes of level 4 missions), then you have it covered.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373
    I've tried EVE three times now and the three factors that keep me from play to long are: Training method, ship bound and travel.  While the time based training methos is interesting, it has and major flaws.  From its name, it takes time and I mean alot of it (years to train everything).  I'm sure there a many better methods for this.  After all it is a game, therefore intented to be fun and waiting foreevveeerrr is no fun.  Travel is another problem directly related to time.  While I enjoy the epicness of EVE's size, to go from one side of EVE's universe to the other with the most advance ship would still take daysssss.  Again, this is not a game buster but it does make time restrained folks out of the loop for many things.  And of course the stuck to ship ordeal.  Again not a game buster but many like myself like to feel my feet on the ground (yes I know you can no walk around your docking quarters.  imo  ;o)  
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Phaserlight
    Vendetta Online has a substantial population and has been growing, particularly with the advent of the mobile build.

Played on both PC and Android. My hat's off to whoever can PVP while playing on the Andriod. Other than that, it's a great port.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by mastersomrat
    While I enjoy the epicness of EVE's size, to go from one side of EVE's universe to the other with the most advance ship would still take daysssss. 

I'm not even going to ask why you have a need to travel the width of the universe with any amount of regularity (or even at all), but if you give me your start and end points and I'll show you how to get to your destination in under 45 minutes.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• johnjecjohnjec Member UncommonPosts: 19

"EVE seems way too "Hardcore" to me. ;/"

I'll be honest. that is what has kept me out. I did get the nerve to try it one day but just getting the game setup and figure out takes a huge commitment of time and energy. I picture myself as a rookie who has been given a small ship with the whole universe to contend with. It has kept me out thus far, BUT reading this thread is changing me. It is still a vast undertaking but this is not an MMO of pre teen geeks grounded for the weekend. These are real people who want a bigger challenge than killing 10 tigers and bringing the fur back to Eloise.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

I'll be honest. that is what has kept me out. I did get the nerve to try it one day but just getting the game setup and figure out takes a huge commitment of time and energy. I picture myself as a rookie who has been given a small ship with the whole universe to contend with. It has kept me out thus far, BUT reading this thread is changing me. It is still a vast undertaking but this is not an MMO of pre teen geeks grounded for the weekend. These are real people who want a bigger challenge than killing 10 tigers and bringing the fur back to Eloise.

honestly the best way to stop eve from being so daunting is to take it slow. set yourself a goal or two, especially one involving skill training (mine was to be able to fly a hurricane). hang out in high sec. it's not really that scary once you get going.

Originally posted by Robokapp

I'll be honest. that is what has kept me out. I did get the nerve to try it one day but just getting the game setup and figure out takes a huge commitment of time and energy. I picture myself as a rookie who has been given a small ship with the whole universe to contend with. It has kept me out thus far,

well you're not wrong. that's exactly how you start.

coming from WoW I thought I'd hate it. i was sure I'd hate it. yet for months this happened?

someone asks for a cool feature in an MMO. I think "this is awesome, let's see replies".

each topic had a "doesnt really exist, maybe eve online is closest".

so i did the trial. Still thinking I'd hate it. No shield, no sword, hell no character. 2 days into my 15 day trial I was subbed.

They said "do the tutorial". Maybe i should have...but I didn't want to quest. I can quest in WoW. No, I wanted to mine. So I went on a mining spree for a week. 3 years later i'm still mining. It's not all I'm doing but its my #1 activity. I mine, build things, sell things, watch pvp'ers break them and come looking for more. It's awesome. meanwhile i sit back all cozy and safe making a fortune.

thinknig about some ORE mining lasers...there just arent that many ways to pimp out a mining ship. I need a way to tell he who eventually kills my mining ship that "yes, I'm that rich".

So you are not really into PVP but still enjoy the game? Very cool. I seem myself doing something similar. I love mining, gathering, etc.

And even better if I can make money at it.

Let me ask this. Where does a rookie start? Is there a site that offers all of the information I will ever need or does that not exist? When I start the game, am I turly aone? Like me against the world until I ally with someone? Just want to know if there is somewhere I can go to learn before actully embarking aimlessly. Thanks.
  • jackocompjackocomp Member UncommonPosts: 50

Having played EVE for more than 6 years I think EVE has become very stagnent & lacking in new content for players that have played for more than a few months.

Why do I keep playing? Well I play now mainly for the social interaction & the great fights we still have once or twice a week. If not for these 2 things I would of already done what many have & are still doing. Leave the game for better cheaper pastures.

Personally at this time I wouldn't recommend EVE to even my worst enemies, the gameplay has become boring & any new content that is being brought into the game is more often than not aimed at New Players rather than the older Vets etc.

As for the skills, There was an article a few years back where one of the developers said it would take in excess of 25 years to train ALL the available skills to level 5 on a single character. Luckily there is no single character that would need or want to have all the available skills trained to level 5 on the one character. This is because some of the skills would be of no use at all to some players that are not using the aspects of the game that require those skills. (eg. Industry based gameplay character has little use for being able to fly & use all the ships in the game, where a PVP based character would)

A new players character starting from scratch will take at least a few months before they can effectively fly a lot of the bigger ships as flying to the ship requires the use of weapons & other modules that are installed onto the ship to help it work & do the things you want it to do. When people I talk to ask I often tell them it wil take about 6 months before they will be able to use the better modules & ships etc. image

Penalties for dying in EVE can be very harsh, as any ship that is destroyed is gone forever & anything that was in or installed on the ship also has a high chance of being destroyed or if not destroyed taken by other players from the ships wreck (Looting & salvaging). If a player has failed to keep their Medical Clone up to date for the amount of skillpoints the character has & the character is POD Killed also the character WILL lose a certain amount of SkillPoints from the highest level skill the player has trained. To get them back the player has to re-train the skill which can take more than a month to do depending on the skill. It's easy to avoid having this happen by just keeping a Med Clone up to date which can cost anything from just under 1 million ISK to over 120 million ISK. 

There are a whole heap of other issues within the game as well that range from groups of players using illegal code to bypass other players security at things like POS's etc. (POS = Player Owned Structure, looks like a stick in space with a bubble around it) to the same groups of players doing other crap like DDOS attacks on TeamSpeak servers etc

The multiple account part is because in EVE it can be very hard to move certain ships without 2nd characters, a lot of people also have their accounts setup where they have one account for their industrial stuff, another one or 5 for their PVP stuff & others for things like Planetary Interaction etc.

As for being stuck in a space ship, well in a lot of MMO's where your not just a walking character your stuck inside something. eg. Need For Speed World = stuck in a car, World of Tanks = Stuck in Tank, World of WarPlanes = Stuck in Plane etc etc etc.

If your thinking of trying the game make use of the FREE Trial, but understand that the system requirements for EVE are quite high when compared to most other MMO's, & although slower systems will run the game you will always be at a disadvantage if it takes too long to load solar system etc when your moving around in space.

NEW PLAYERS please check your system requirements are right & remember that EVE is very resource intensive at times.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by mastersomrat
    While I enjoy the epicness of EVE's size, to go from one side of EVE's universe to the other with the most advance ship would still take daysssss. 

I'm not even going to ask why you have a need to travel the width of the universe with any amount of regularity (or even at all), but if you give me your start and end points and I'll show you how to get to your destination in under 45 minutes.

Without moving through lowsec? image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by haplo602
    The endless options at your disposal. I am playing on and off since 2005. I have yet to do about half the content available.

And what EXACTLY are - name at least few of them - this "endless" options.. Tried I think 3 times for few days each time (having nothing else to do or because of fans, just to try) but all was just boring mining and traveling. Actually leveling have been occuring when offline.

Originally posted by daltanious
    Originally posted by haplo602
    The endless options at your disposal. I am playing on and off since 2005. I have yet to do about half the content available.

And what EXACTLY are - name at least few of them - this "endless" options.. Tried I think 3 times for few days each time (having nothing else to do or because of fans, just to try) but all was just boring mining and traveling. Actually leveling have been occuring when offline.

Several large but non comprehensive lists have been produced, including in this very thread.

EVE's basic problem (as far as many people seem to be concerned) is that if a player wants to be told that's he's an awesomesauce famous $PROFESSION, he'll have to actually be an awesomesauce at whatever it is. NPCs won't suck up to you just for logging in, and no-one would care if they did. You have to make it happen.

In short, what did you try to be? Sounds like you just tried to mine in hi-sec and wait for someone to tell you to collect 10 rat tails in order to level up towards being awesomesauce.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Let me ask this. Where does a rookie start?  You start in high sec, reletively speaking the safest systems in eve(griefing is no longer alowed in the very beginner systems).  Is there a site that offers all of the information I will ever need or does that not exist? Eve has plenty of sites available to look up, start by reading the in game tutorials when they come up and google any extra info you need.  Also looking up the scanning tutorial on youtube is a good idea aswell as downloading isk the guide.  When I start the game, am I turly aone?  There will be plenty of people in high sec. Like me against the world until I ally with someone?   You'll always be in a corp in eve, if not a player corp then an npc one.  But that doesn't mean you'll be safe:).  Just want to know if there is somewhere I can go to learn before actully embarking aimlessly. Thanks.

I would suggest trying the free trial.  Do the career agent missions and then do the sisters of eve arc(in arnon) to get you going then look up guides/info depending on what you want to do ingame.

• genkiselgenkisel Member UncommonPosts: 22
    The reason I keep going back is the community of friends I've built up over the years, and the fact that I can leave for 6 months come back and things be different.

"Its Hot Drop-o-Clock" Clear Skies 3.

• EvgireonEvgireon Member Posts: 71
    Ganking and griefing m/
  • M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by Uhwop

Originally posted by Gdemami  

Originally posted by Karahandras It does have quite a steep learning curve and if you go into it with the 'themepark mentallity' i.e. bigger=better and rush to such then you will get your arse handed to you.
      No, you don't. "Theme park" players are mostly after PVE and that is where rule fully applies.   One could argue that it applies to PVP in many areas too...
     You do understand that 80% of the EVE population is playing in the part of the universe that would be considered the PvE part of EVE. 

And that is according to CCP. 

Emergent gameplay is what makes EVE great. 

You need to understand that "80%" of the population also has multiple accounts. Their pvp accounts/characters are basically in null-sec, low-sec or wormhole space. So while there are many characters in Empire space most of them are alt accounts generating "safe" income and gathering supplies form the market place, etc.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by jackocomp
    As for the skills, There was an article a few years back where one of the developers said it would take in excess of 25 years to train ALL the available skills to level 5 on a single character. Luckily there is no single character that would need or want to have all the available skills trained to level 5 on the one character. This is because some of the skills would be of no use at all to some players that are not using the aspects of the game that require those skills. (eg. Industry based gameplay character has little use for being able to fly & use all the ships in the game, where a PVP based character would)

A new players character starting from scratch will take at least a few months before they can effectively fly a lot of the bigger ships as flying to the ship requires the use of weapons & other modules that are installed onto the ship to help it work & do the things you want it to do. When people I talk to ask I often tell them it wil take about 6 months before they will be able to use the better modules & ships etc.

Bigger ships do not always equal better ships in pvp. In most cases it just means a bigger replacement bill and more grinding for ISK to replace said larger ship compared to a smaller ship.

Frankly you can easily pvp in a small ship and cost people millions if not billions of ISK and only spend at least 2 weeks gaining the skills needed to fly something as trivial as a rifter which gets a tackle on some idiot's prized ratting ship worth billions of isk which your gang then promptly helps destroy.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Gaoxin

-to fuck up someone else's day-

That's basically it.

Ruh roh. Someone lost a ship.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132

Mostly the fact that Eve is a pyramid scheme where the player with the longest active account wins an advantage over the others and gets to bully them.

Or maybe Eve players just wanted to feel like they belong to a group, can't get it anywhere else and thus spend 8 to 22 hours per day in a videogame.

No idea, I just know that in my 2 years (?) of Eve I've never met anyone in game who said that the game was fun. Maybe "it can be fun at times" was heard occasionally.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by FastSloth

Mostly the fact that Eve is a pyramid scheme where the player with the longest active account wins an advantage over the others and gets to bully them.

Or maybe Eve players just wanted to feel like they belong to a group, can't get it anywhere else and thus spend 8 to 22 hours per day in a videogame.

No idea, I just know that in my 2 years (?) of Eve I've never met anyone in game who said that the game was fun. Maybe "it can be fun at times" was heard occasionally.

"Pyramid scheme"...erm, what?

8-22 hours a day in a videogame...I have never met anyone in Eve other than one person recovering from heart surgery who couldn't work that plays Eve 8 hours a day, and never anyone who plays as high as 22. That isn't even feasible. Stop talking out of your ass.

As for the statement of never meeting anyone in game who said it was fun, I Kiljaedenas hereby state that Eve Online is more fun than any game I have ever played or heard of in my entire life, and throughout my life I have probably played over 2000 different games.  Now you can no longer make that statement :).

Where's the any key?

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132
    Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

"Pyramid scheme"...erm, what?

8-22 hours a day in a videogame...I have never met anyone in Eve other than one person recovering from heart surgery who couldn't work that plays Eve 8 hours a day, and never anyone who plays as high as 22. That isn't even feasible. Stop talking out of your ass.

As for the statement of never meeting anyone in game who said it was fun, I Kiljaedenas hereby state that Eve Online is more fun than any game I have ever played or heard of in my entire life, and throughout my life I have probably played over 2000 different games.  Now you can no longer make that statement :).

Sir, we obviously live in different worlds!

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Same as every other game, the right to look down upon the players of (something else)?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.