Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greed Monger - A Crafting Focused MMORPG

MogusMogus Anderson, OHPosts: 169Member

Since the launch of Ultima Online and my first days exploring the realm of Brittania, I have yet to experience a game that gave me all of the rushes of adrenaline I had then. since playing Ultima Online I have found a great deal of success in the music business and mixed martial arts fight promotion that will now enable me to launch a valiant effort of my own and that is to capture the same essence and excitment of all the things I loved about Ultima Online in a new game called Greed Monger.

Greed Monger is a Free To Play MMORPG where every finished item in the game is crafted by players. Not a single finished item drop will be found from slaying monsters or animals, just the materials needed to craft them.

In Greed Monger, players will be able to purchase parcels of land in the game world for real money that they will be able to build 3D Non Instanced Housing on. Land Owners will also find their lands to be fruitful with various harvestable crops, resources and even monsters or animals life they will have exclusive access to, unless they chose to rent out time to players on their land in exchange for gold.

Players will be able to build large estates with house sizes growing in options with more land owned by the player and if the day ever comes that he or she would like to leave the game and sell their estate, they will be able to do so on our Estate Auction systems (we will only take a small percentage of the sale).

Greed Monger will be a game focused on how things really are with a completely player established and driven economy where everything has value to someone and the more you own, the more you're worth, the more prestigious you will become in the game.

Player cities will be created by guilds that will controll portions of a landscape for their own prosperity, selling rights to hungry adventurers wanting to harvest or hunt on their land.

There will be no global chats in Greed Monger. Over the head text will be all that we use. The reason for this is in the complete loss of sense of community in these large global chats players have begun growing more disconnected from today. Nothing beats wheeling and dealing with someone face to face.

We will be implimenting a Fast Map Travel system in the game whereby players will be able to create maps with an X marking their home or shop (stocked with products that NPC vendors will sell for them) and drop those maps around the game world for people to pick up and use. These maps will allow a user to fast travel to the location on the map from their Map Book, provided they have enough food in their pack for the journey.

We are just getting started on this adventure and I have put together the beginnings of an impressive development team that are already working on development. Soon, our Kickstarter Campaign will launch after an initial press and media push to generate interest in our labor of love and hope the niche community will support our efforts.

I just want to create the game I've longed to play for decades and plan to do just that.

Our initial website is up but soon to be completely redesigned along with the discussion forums.

www.greedmonger.com

If any of you are interested in our niche game, please visit our forums and let us know your ideas on how to make it even better. We are also looking for MMORPG Contributing Writers who are interested in very early access to development builds as they become available so as to help you write preview articles over the course of development.

Thank you.

imageimageimageimageimageimage

www.greedmonger.com
Did you like Ultima Online? Then you'll LOVE Greed Monger!

Comments

• MogusMogus Anderson, OHPosts: 169Member

www.greedmonger.com

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Bree, MIPosts: 713Member

-Damn man...Looks really good thus far.

EDIT/ADD- No. Strike that...It looks great. Will be keeping my eye on this.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef phoenix, AZPosts: 791Member Uncommon

Looks great. Just one question to own land you gotta buy it for 20$ you dont get a free plot when you start or as a reward for something?

EDIT read some more on the game and i gotta say this is what ive been waiting for. Just recently i was talking to my guildies about a crafting centric mmo that has realistic loot drops, open world housing, open world pve and pvp, and guild cities. Also you dont seem to be forcing open world pvp down my throat which makes it a day one play for me. 

Any news on stuff like open world siege pvp? Guilds vs guilds taking over cities and basically starting wars?

Playing: War Thunder, World of Warcraft, and Grim Dawn
    Waiting on:Everquest Next and The Black Desert

Everything in Greed Monger will be free to play. No annoying micro-transactions for funny hats and such.

Greed Monger's sole means of financial support will be through the Parcel Land System. How often have you played a game for months or years and left with no return on your investment of time? I know I've done it MANY times...

Purchasing land parcels in Greed Monger should be considered more of an investment as the value of the available land parcels will sky rocket as they are bought up by players. $20 per parcel is a very nominal fee considering one parcel will be enough to enable you to build a house and furnish it, along with some yardage for a potential wild life or harvestable spawn.

The other way we will be supported is through the sale of said real estate on our auction system. We will keep a small portion of your estate sale.

No land parcels will be given to players freely as this is our sole means of financial support. However, we are quite confident that what you put into the game will come back to you when you leave. We anticipate people purchasing land parcels strictly because of the economics of it with the sole intention on flipping it as available parcels become sparse.

www.greedmonger.com

Originally posted by Mogus
    Everything in Greed Monger will be free to play. No annoying micro-transactions for funny hats and such. Greed Monger's sole means of financial support will be through the Parcel Land System. How often have you played a game for months or years and left with no return on your investment of time? I know I've done it MANY times... Purchasing land parcels in Greed Monger should be considered more of an investment as the value of the available land parcels will sky rocket as they are bought up by players. $20 per parcel is a very nominal fee considering one parcel will be enough to enable you to build a house and furnish it, along with some yardage for a potential wild life or harvestable spawn. The other way we will be supported is through the sale of said real estate on our auction system. We will keep a small portion of your estate sale. No land parcels will be given to players freely as this is our sole means of financial support. However, we are quite confident that what you put into the game will come back to you when you leave. We anticipate people purchasing land parcels strictly because of the economics of it with the sole intention on flipping it as available parcels become sparse.  

Hmmm ok does one person have to buy parcels to make a guild city or can we all buy parcels close to each other?

There are plans for city sieges and the like but due to the parcel system, guilds wont be able to take over another city and retain ownership of it. These things will be worked on once the game has launched and we have a better ideas as to whether or not Greed Monger will be popular. Right now we are just getting the word out a bit in hopes that the voices of the players will help us reach new players that will take an interest in our niche title.

We are working on a much more detailed demo video prior to our KickStarter campaign which we expect to launch within a month. Support pledges through Kickstarter will come with land parcels to get players started.

www.greedmonger.com

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Bree, MIPosts: 713Member
    Everything in Greed Monger will be free to play. No annoying micro-transactions for funny hats and such. Greed Monger's sole means of financial support will be through the Parcel Land System. How often have you played a game for months or years and left with no return on your investment of time? I know I've done it MANY times... Purchasing land parcels in Greed Monger should be considered more of an investment as the value of the available land parcels will sky rocket as they are bought up by players. $20 per parcel is a very nominal fee considering one parcel will be enough to enable you to build a house and furnish it, along with some yardage for a potential wild life or harvestable spawn. The other way we will be supported is through the sale of said real estate on our auction system. We will keep a small portion of your estate sale. No land parcels will be given to players freely as this is our sole means of financial support. However, we are quite confident that what you put into the game will come back to you when you leave. We anticipate people purchasing land parcels strictly because of the economics of it with the sole intention on flipping it as available parcels become sparse.  

-Very cool idea.  $20/parcel is not bad at all and I like the idea of being able to make "investment" purchases.

So far this sounds very interesting.

Okay: Considering "in game currency"- Where does this come from? Reading how new players will have to create everything into existance does this go for the currecy as well? (i.e. Having to Mine Gold to be minted into "coins") or will foozles and woozles just "drop" money when killed?

Was talking to my Guildmaster and he said if its truly just support from parcel buying he will drop 500$ to make a huge city.

Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Hmmm ok does one person have to buy parcels to make a guild city or can we all buy parcels close to each other?

Details on how the parcel system will work will be released at a later date. :)

www.greedmonger.com

He will have his chance through the KickStarter campaign.

Our Kickstarter campaign may be the only way to buy parcels in bulk and gaurantee they are together as opposed to your initial parcel purchase being random.

www.greedmonger.com

He will have his chance through the KickStarter campaign. Our Kickstarter campaign may be the only way to buy parcels in bulk and gaurantee they are together as opposed to your initial parcel purchase being random.

Yep he says he might have to do that lol. Keep it up. Looks fantastic so far.

How far along would you guys say you are? The video said you are working on the landscapes and such. Seems like the housing is pretty far along.

The Landscapes, housing etc is the easy part. Its the back end network coding, AI coding etc that takes all of the time. After we get the Kickstarter campaign going I'd say we should have a functional system ready for some alpha testing soon after. 

Kickstarter supporters will be the first in to test for us.

www.greedmonger.com

• KilsinKilsin AustraliaPosts: 406Member Uncommon
    Looks great so far, keep up the good work, it's about time we got a game like this that is done well!! :)

Community & Web Manager | Visionary Realms, Inc.
    Visit our Development Website. | Facebook | Twitter

The Landscapes, housing etc is the easy part. Its the back end network coding, AI coding etc that takes all of the time. After we get the Kickstarter campaign going I'd say we should have a functional system ready for some alpha testing soon after.  Kickstarter supporters will be the first in to test for us.

Sounds great! Cant wait for the Kickstarter to come up! Really wanna make this game all it can be!

Thank you.

Please make sure you Like our Facebook page for regular updates, screen shots and even contests as we make further progress.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/GreedMonger/416222818444745?ref=hl

www.greedmonger.com

Thank you DSW.

I appreciate the support.

Our goal is to get a bit further in development before launching the KS campaign because we dont want people to have to worry about the game not getting finished etc. We want everyone to be confident in what we are doing and share in our excitement!

So, soon!

www.greedmonger.com

Got my whole guild excited for Greed Monger. So word is spreading.

• maplestonemaplestone Ottawa, ONPosts: 3,099Member Uncommon

Greed Monger will be a game focused on how things really are with a completely player established and driven economy where everything has value to someone and the more you own, the more you're worth, the more prestigious you will become in the game.

I find this statement rather depressing.

Why is that Maple?

It's simple economics. The more land you own, the more likely you are to control a rare harvest, animal/monster spawn on your property, which means you will be a sought after land owner as people offer higher stakes to gain temporary access to your land (i.e increasing your element of power within the game and presitige, in kind.)

With power comes responsibility as you dont want to end up becoming someone branded in a negative light to the public because you never know what someone else will have that you might need in the future, thus resulting in the politcal aspects of the game.

The dynamics of the system is far reaching and many will find it extremely addictive.

Nothing sad about enjoying your rise to the top.

www.greedmonger.com

• SimphanaticSimphanatic Marion, IAPosts: 92Member
    Why is that Maple? It's simple economics. The more land you own, the more likely you are to control a rare harvest, animal/monster spawn on your property. ... Nothing sad about enjoying your rise to the top.

I admit, you had me until you said this.

The funding strategy you're suggesting is a lottery; i.e., the more land purchased with real life money, greater is the chance of procuring something that positions a player advantageously with respect to other, less fortunate or less free-spending players.

Not good: as you've explained it, this is little more than a different run at the worst kind of pay-to-win strategy; e.g., Sea Fight or Perfect World. So, if I were to dump a couple grand into your game there's every probability that I'd have a significant advantage over players who can afford only a single plot of land?

This is all so very unfortunate; your premise did seem so hopeful. Also, your news releases and website announcements would profit from proofreading.

I understand your point, and appreciate your comment.

I do however have to disagree.

As with anything in gaming, more is better and there will always be a select few with more than the rest, such is life. Will guilds band together in efforts to own a mass of land to be more self sufficient? Of course. Can a motivated player without a house or land prosper through his buying and selling, crafting and adventuring? Absolutely.

The focus of the game is in the adventuring for materials with which to craft items in demand. Owning property will give you a slight edge over someone who doesn't, or will it?

The dynamics of the game in their entirety haven't been discussed yet.

And yes, I probably should have my wife reading through half of what I type. I type fast and often without looking and to be honest, I was never good in English anyway. :)

www.greedmonger.com

• SimphanaticSimphanatic Marion, IAPosts: 92Member
    I understand your point, and appreciate your comment. I do however have to disagree. As with anything in gaming, more is better and there will always be a select few with more than the rest, such is life. Will guilds band together in efforts to own a mass of land to be more self sufficient? Of course. Can a motivated player without a house or land prosper through his buying and selling, crafting and adventuring? Absolutely. The focus of the game is in the adventuring for materials with which to craft items in demand. Owning property will give you a slight edge over someone who doesn't, or will it? The dynamics of the game in their entirety haven't been discussed yet. And yes, I probably should have my wife reading through half of what I type. I type fast and often without looking and to be honest, I was never good in English anyway. :)

My comments were purposely harsh; I view any degree of P2W an anathema to MMORPGs.

Nothwithstanding, your proposed game is the first one that's piqued my interest in a very long time. I'll certainly be a close observer as your concept matures, and I'll be watching your kickstarter program, if you catch my drift.

Good luck, and please do consider what I said previously.

• Spider3Spider3 ZurichPosts: 33Member
    Amazing! This could be really what we, UO nostalgic, were waiting for. I'll keep an eye on this for sure :)
  • maplestonemaplestone Ottawa, ONPosts: 3,099Member Uncommon

Nothing sad about enjoying your rise to the top.

Except that I don't see myself on top.  I don't picture myself as a winner in waiting, but rather as the other guy.  That makes the pitch come out sounding very differently than I think you intended it to sound.