Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do you play Elder Scrolls games? [Poll]

Comments

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by muffins89

what i like the most is they are true RPG's.  i can be a murderer,  a thief,  a knight,  a traveler, a villager,  a blacksmith,  an alchemist,  an ass hole,  the games me the opportunity play a role,  in a virtual world.  something i think most mmoRPG's have missed on.  i guess that's why developers and fans just call them MMO's nowadays.

This is why in some sense I really, really miss open world sandbox fantasy MMORPGs.

Sadly I think far too many of the l33t kid PK FPS junkie crowd have gotten into MMOs to ever make such a sandbox viable unless you completely seperate PvE and PvP.

What makes TES (Skyrim specifically for me) so good?

It's MY sandbox.

What would ruin Skyrim for me?

Exploring out in the wild, find a cave/dungeon and start clearing it - get to the end and.... dozen or so people standing around spamming /dance and making Chuck Norris jokes waiting to spawn tag a named mob respawn...

Sneaking through a city, picking pockets and breaking into homes and shops, murdering the occassional shop keeper / villager... and having a naked half-elf following me around doing /yell and bunny hopping...

Traveling through the woods looking for mines and hunting dear for leather to make and modify/enhance some more armor, pursuing my love of being a blacksmith... and having some kid PK me and then spawn camp my corpse after looting all my custom-made gear and items.

Long story short - the reason sandbox games really don't "work" for me and so many others anymore -

Most MMO players are idiots/assholes.

Sure, you ca say "yeah but in a true sandbox you could kill the naked half-elf following you, bring your guildies and clear out all the players spawning the named mob, and bring a friend or two and hunt down and kill the PK who camped your corpse" - which is all true.

But not good enough - MY sandbox and MY experience has already been ruined.

And I am simply not going to pay to be someone else's content - especially when it's at the expense of my enjoyment of the game.

All we would need is for one of these games to add a proper crime+punishment and NPC faction system instead of the wimpy flagging that Darkfall and Mortal do.  Make being a criminal/murderer a REALLY hard life.

- Bounty systems where lawful players can hunt down criminals and kill them for money.

- Add NPC factions/governments who player factions can choose to ally with, for a price: you have to obey their laws and pay fealty/taxes, but you get their protection in return.

- If they don't ally with a government, the can be considered rogue, and will be periodically attacked by NPCs from their closest NPC faction.

- Criminals/Murderers will be hunted by NPCs (mercs, guards, assassins), who show up randomly and attack them.

- Actual guards in NPC towns (hireable for player towns if aligned with a faction) who can immobilize/capture/kill criminals.

- Criminals can choose to go to prison where they literally have to wait for in-game, non-afk time for their sentence to be up.  They can choose hard labor and break rocks/cut trees, duel other players in jail or play gambling games to pass the time.  They can pay fines for minor crimes.

Basically makes it possible to be a PKer/Griefer but makes it a hard life to choose.  Encourages more lawful behavior.  Makes getting caught a pain in the ass and players will likely not commit crimes again once having had a stint in jail.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Entinerint

This is why in some sense I really, really miss open world sandbox fantasy MMORPGs.

Sadly I think far too many of the l33t kid PK FPS junkie crowd have gotten into MMOs to ever make such a sandbox viable unless you completely seperate PvE and PvP.

It's MY sandbox.

Exploring out in the wild, find a cave/dungeon and start clearing it - get to the end and.... dozen or so people standing around spamming /dance and making Chuck Norris jokes waiting to spawn tag a named mob respawn...

Sneaking through a city, picking pockets and breaking into homes and shops, murdering the occassional shop keeper / villager... and having a naked half-elf following me around doing /yell and bunny hopping...

Traveling through the woods looking for mines and hunting dear for leather to make and modify/enhance some more armor, pursuing my love of being a blacksmith... and having some kid PK me and then spawn camp my corpse after looting all my custom-made gear and items.

Long story short - the reason sandbox games really don't "work" for me and so many others anymore -

Sure, you ca say "yeah but in a true sandbox you could kill the naked half-elf following you, bring your guildies and clear out all the players spawning the named mob, and bring a friend or two and hunt down and kill the PK who camped your corpse" - which is all true.

And I am simply not going to pay to be someone else's content - especially when it's at the expense of my enjoyment of the game.

All we would need is for one of these games to add a proper crime+punishment and NPC faction system instead of the wimpy flagging that Darkfall and Mortal do.  Make being a criminal/murderer a REALLY hard life.

Basically makes it possible to be a PKer/Griefer but makes it a hard life to choose.  Encourages more lawful behavior.  Makes getting caught a pain in the ass and players will likely not commit crimes again once having had a stint in jail.

I agree 100% and have been saying such on this very website for some time now - life is always way, way too easy for PK's in sandbox MMOs.

Even in Skyrim, you can be a total bastard in one province and have a HUGE bounty on your head - and just go to another province and everyone still loves you.

That's how I do it, make sure I have a "home" district where I have no bounty so I still have access to vendors and housing etc. without issues.

Those kind of lenient rules is what PKs thive off of and are thusly free to make life Hell on everyone else with NO real punishment or worry.

Thusly I am happy ESO is not a true sandbox MMO, as other players would naturally RUIN my ES sandbox.

I'd go as far to say that to make it really "work" in a sandbox MMO, you'd have to have permadeath for repeat offenders.

Talk about realism - want to be a murderous pirate / assassin / general bastard? Better not get caught or it really is game over. You'd think if the PKs are really so "hardcore" they'd love it! But they don't, because most of them are really just skilless noob gankers/griefers who QQ when they lose a more fair fight.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    personally i play for the incredible graphics, the super immersive first person combat, the freedom of exploration, the large seamless world, the well written story/quest/lore. in that order of importance.
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

It's MY sandbox.

I agree 100% and have been saying such on this very website for some time now - life is always way, way too easy for PK's in sandbox MMOs.

Even in Skyrim, you can be a total bastard in one province and have a HUGE bounty on your head - and just go to another province and everyone still loves you.

That's how I do it, make sure I have a "home" district where I have no bounty so I still have access to vendors and housing etc. without issues.

Those kind of lenient rules is what PKs thive off of and are thusly free to make life Hell on everyone else with NO real punishment or worry.

Thusly I am happy ESO is not a true sandbox MMO, as other players would naturally RUIN my ES sandbox.

I'd go as far to say that to make it really "work" in a sandbox MMO, you'd have to have permadeath for repeat offenders.

Talk about realism - want to be a murderous pirate / assassin / general bastard? Better not get caught or it really is game over. You'd think if the PKs are really so "hardcore" they'd love it! But they don't, because most of them are really just skilless noob gankers/griefers who QQ when they lose a more fair fight.

Permadeath public executions?  Holy shit that's brilliant.  As a person who usually plays a thief (when possible), that would be A-MAZING to have looming over my head.

I really think TESO could be an amazing sandbox IF it had the balls to add this kind of stuff.  But ZOS clearly does not think that way, so we will get a hum-drum themepark with TES lore.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

It's MY sandbox.

Permadeath public executions?  Holy shit that's brilliant.  As a person who usually plays a thief (when possible), that would be A-MAZING to have looming over my head.

I really think TESO could be an amazing sandbox IF it had the balls to add this kind of stuff.  But ZOS clearly does not think that way, so we will get a hum-drum themepark with TES lore.

Yep, would be totally awesome and worthy (IMO) of the TES name... I mean, imagine having to choose whether or not you log in and watch your own publicly scheduled and presented execution - the permanent death of your character for all to see.

TES game about actually RPG and lore and the WORLD/immersion instead of the levels and gear and progression, wouldn't be too big of a deal for *some* players to have to re-roll if their thief/assassin got perma-deathed.

As long as your dead toons name was permanently off the books - as well as all their property and holdings etc. auctioned off for the public... no "passing down" anything to new toons.

Would also be SO totally awesome to have actual auctions in a MMO - especially for the assets of a notorious (and now dead) PK on the server.

Hell, even have buddies/guildies attempt to free the PK at the execution, fight with the actually competent NPC guards (as you said) as well as hired player mercenaries and any/all other upstanding citizens present for the execution.

Guilds could wage war with other guilds over murderers/theives caught on their lands and scheduled for executions.

The possibilities... that is what ES is really about - possibilities.

SUCH a missed opportunity here.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Exploration which TESO sounds like it will have a lot of..
  • GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm
    Originally posted by Trudge34
    One word: Freedom.

+1

Essentially, it's all the reasons mentionned. The first-person combat makes the gameplay more engaging for me. Most of my time is spent exploring. How many times where I've seen something and thought "what's this" only for the same thing to happen 5 minutes later and before I know it's 2 A.M . I don't play TES game exactly for the main story though, as it's always been fairly average, but TES games shines the brightest in its side quests. Crafting never played a big part of the TES games however (ignoring Alchemy). And finally, FREEEEEEEDOM!.

Another reason that wasn't mentionned : The modding community. It's glorious!

Are you high?  I've crafted in all of them...and its literally the only way to get the best things.  In Skyrim this is doubly true, but it played the same in all of them.  Especially spellcrafting, found in Morrowind.  Granted that went the way of the dodo...but...

Crafting is a great and massive part of those games.  The skill of the crafter, and the enchants chosen, can change everything wildly.  Just in skyrim the myraid of options you have for gear is pretty nuts when you factor in talents and how those affect what weapon and enchant options work optimally.  I'll just say this, my Smith has over double the armor rating of my non smith in the same bloody gear.  That pretty much means crafting playes a large role.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Gishgeron
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

+1

Essentially, it's all the reasons mentionned. The first-person combat makes the gameplay more engaging for me. Most of my time is spent exploring. How many times where I've seen something and thought "what's this" only for the same thing to happen 5 minutes later and before I know it's 2 A.M . I don't play TES game exactly for the main story though, as it's always been fairly average, but TES games shines the brightest in its side quests. Crafting never played a big part of the TES games however (ignoring Alchemy). And finally, FREEEEEEEDOM!.

Another reason that wasn't mentionned : The modding community. It's glorious!

Are you high?  I've crafted in all of them...and its literally the only way to get the best things.  In Skyrim this is doubly true, but it played the same in all of them.  Especially spellcrafting, found in Morrowind.  Granted that went the way of the dodo...but...

Crafting is a great and massive part of those games.  The skill of the crafter, and the enchants chosen, can change everything wildly.  Just in skyrim the myraid of options you have for gear is pretty nuts when you factor in talents and how those affect what weapon and enchant options work optimally.  I'll just say this, my Smith has over double the armor rating of my non smith in the same bloody gear.  That pretty much means crafting playes a large role.

By "crafting never played a big part of the TES games" I meant that crafting never was a major focus for the developers. Yes you can craft, depending on the game what you can craft varies (Alchemy and Enchantingstayed pretty much the same, but Spellcrafting is not present in Skyrim for example, but was in Morrowind and Oblivion), but my point is that it's not where the developers put most of their efforts in.

Alchemy, Enchanting and Spellcrafting were always pretty popular, not sure why they got rid of Spellcrafting for Skyrim, but other than those 3, only Skyrim actually allows you to craft armors and weapons, and it's overly simplistic. Is it a great addition in Skyrim? Yes. Is it a big part of the TES games? No, and never was (again, ignoring Alchemy, Enchanting and Spellcrafting).

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Exploration
  • AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

I would have thought Numen would have gotten more votes...

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    exploration & side quests
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    I need an all-of-the-above option, because if you take out even one of those, it's no longer TES.

This^  I was about to post the same thing.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

I may be an odd one considering the voting results, but I'm in for the dungeon crawling, finding secret doors, fighting the dungeon's guardians, and eventually getting my big fat loot chest. Wandering about the world tends to bore me quickly and it's the reason for despite loving both Fallout 3 and Skyrim, I haven't managed to ever finish them.

So to me, the dungeoncrawling is what matters most. The more epic, the more challenging, the more fun, the better.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

The freedom to wander the game world, stumble onto quest content and naturally advance my characters skill set.

Elder Scroll's games are really good at hiding content in nooks and crannys where ones wouldnt think to look. 

YOu could be exploring a forest and stumble onto a ruin and by exploring that ruin stumble on a NPC or item that starts a quest chain that leads into six more dungeons and takes 5 hours to finish. I would sit there amazed that i would never have experienced that if i didn't decide to hang a left at some big rock...

It blows my mind how incredibly detailed the world is and how much bethesda squeezed into every corner of it. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    I need an all-of-the-above option, because if you take out even one of those, it's no longer TES.

This^  I was about to post the same thing.

I cant offer you that, it would fuck up the statistics.

You got to understand that if i offer a "all of the above" option, i effectively, mathematically -deny- the option to select 2 or more answers but allow for all 8 options.

i.e. results would be skewed that either someone selects -one- option or -all 8- options, but no weigh of the options would be represented in the poll ,which is the purpose of this poll.

The question isn't "what can i remove from TES", its "what do i care about most in TES".

Its not about what makes the game TES, its about what -you- care the most about in TES.

I would give you that option if the forum software allowed for it, but it doesn't allow for multiple answers.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Agreed. Freedom of choices of where to go and how to build and play your character.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Looking at a lot of these responses and the poll, I don't think the single player games needed to be changed too much to appease a very big TES audiance. The reason people wanted this to be an MMO is that the amazing world, the lore, races and class freedom was already in place, but instead of exploring the huge world of Tamriel solo, we wanted to be able to explore it with a group or guild of friends along with the dungeons and probably raids that can only accompany an MMO along with the ever persistant world of Tamriel.

FYI, from what I've heard so far I think they're going to make a good game, but I think they chose the wrong IP for their vision and going to suffer for it.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by odinsrath

i didnt vote ..i stoped playing after morrow wind for my own reasons but i wont be one of those ppl that shoot down games just because they are doing something a lil diff or not the "norm" of what they have been doing for years ..why i liked playing TES franchise is because i liked their product..all of them..its simple..if they offer a good product to the consumer time after time..they / them or who-ever will get  my cash / effort and i wont shunn it down just because its diff or not "the norm"

They are not doing something a lil different!!  They are just trying to copy the generic MMO model and put a TES skin on it.  I'm all for stepping away from the norm but they could've gave us something a little different and still kept many of the things that made TES an awesome franchise.

In my opinion they are trying to conform to the expected 'normal' mmo model and sacrificing the core elements of the IP by doing it.

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315

I like when I go to do some simple quest I get side tracked on a bunch of other things, and then forget what I was originally doing. Then I realize its 5 in the morning, and work is coming in 3 hours. But hey, I am probably about done with this dungeon so fifteen more minutes wont hurt.

Just getting lost in the world is fun

• Exploration and freedom. I think combat is somewhat weakly done in the games and NPCs in general are rather shallow. But the world design of the games tend to be incredible, which can make for an amazing experience. Crafting is super boring like in most games, but being able to make stuff is neat. I just wish they'd made it interesting.

But I do hope for the MMO that they don't make you load every time you enter a building. And that they have seamless zone transitions (exceptions can be made for dungeons.)

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    I would say because of everything. Graphic, ambient, sound, lore, combat, story. It is most perfect fantasy rpg ever made
  • Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Tayah
    I've never played Elder Scrolls games, no option for me to pick. :(

That's because the poll is about what qualities people are drawn to in TES games, not if you play them. The poll is not for you. 

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • uniqsnowflakeuniqsnowflake Member Posts: 4
    Freedom, of which ESO offers none. From the available choises in the poll, exploration.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by AdamTM
    the poll broke so here it is again

50% out of 108 votes for exploration.

CASE PROVEN!

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.