Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[mod edit]- Misleading early info?

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/6819/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-The-Comprehensive-Preview.html

For the last 2-4 months i ve read several posts from various ppl here in mmorpg,claiming things about how TESO was to be a wow clone,with the usual auto-attack combat system wow,eq etc etc has, but guess what...After reading the preview of that alpha tester here in the site the game uses the typical oblivion-skyrim, style combat system .Aim and attack,block dodge manually,even spells need a typical aim.And by reading the whole thread this game looks like a deep mmorpg ,even in terms of character progression.Exploration adn adventuring remains in high standards,as most ppl want also.

[mod edit]

Its too early too speak about it,but from what it looks from the preview i think i found the next mmorpg i ll be playing for the next 5-6 years when it comes.

Comments

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Hey now play nice. I think a lot of people are slowly coming around to the new gameplay style as it's showing more and more that the idea isn't that bad. However no one can deny how amazing it would've been had it been true to the core of the TES games.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

I personally checked with several of the reviewers: combat is NOT real-time.  It is much akin to GW2, not quite like TERA (which is barely real-time).  There is soft-targetting.  You do NOT aim attacks.  You CANNOT swing your weapons freely.  You do NOT aim spells, swings or bows.  You DO have to be facing your target, and put your cursor over the target, but then, voila, auto-attack begins as long as you're in range.

It is a hybrid system, which is better than nothing, but they need to take it further, all the way: Mortal, Darkfall, TES-style before it is fully there.

They did a good thing by listening to the complaints and improving things.

Note that anyone who was there AND was also at the E3 presentation says a LOT has changed.  They are also no longer saying this stuff is impossible.  So there's hope that they may get to proper real-time direct-action combat system, but they may now just rest on their laurels on this one.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

They actually said the majority of those things themselves. But as soon as they did, there was an instant flood of backlash from the community about it. Seems theyre working to quickly change some things around to make it more TES-like. It's still not quite what was expected in a TES MMO, bu tit is sounding much better and could turn out to be quite a promising game.

If this is true and they are actually working on revamping things due to player demand, this could be a great thing as it is a sign theyre willing to listen to their fans instead of insisting theyre just going to do wht they want adnd people just have to deal with it.

It is still in pre-alpha, but sounding pretty good so far. We will just have to wait and see how they implement some of the featurs which they mentione din the preview as not being in yet, as well as whatever else they come up with along the way up until beta & release.

• Pr0nPr0n Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Welcome to the Internet, bro.
  • SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Originally posted by tazarconan

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/6819/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-The-Comprehensive-Preview.html

For the last 2-4 months i ve read several posts from various ppl here in mmorpg,claiming things about how TESO was to be a wow clone,with the usual auto-attack combat system wow,eq etc etc has, but guess what...After reading the preview of that alpha tester here in the site the game uses the typical oblivion-skyrim, style combat system .Aim and attack,block dodge manually,even spells need a typical aim.And by reading the whole thread this game looks like a deep mmorpg ,even in terms of character progression.Exploration adn adventuring remains in high standards,as most ppl want also.

So im wondering.. Why all those ignorant little pests were frieking lying about with their posts without knowing jacksheet missinforming,bashing a game they didnt have a clue what it is about in the 1st place.

Its too early too speak about it,but from what it looks from the preview i think i found the next mmorpg i ll be playing for the next 5-6 years when it comes.

lol, 

Dont get sold on TES online just yet, the article said the aiming was like Tera and partially tab targetted.  That aspect will be nothing like TES combat..at all.  The other aspects you described are already in many MMO's but not comparable to TES games, i feel the online version will be a copy of the block, dodge etc in those various MMO's.  Lets not forget this game is being made with the Hero Engine, which from what I have seen cannot make an online game anything like what a TES Single player game.

Im not bashing it, but everything is pointing towards this game being a typical MMO with TES Lore, now...they may do a very good job on this and may make it a lot of fun, but for me it has to be like the TES series and not just a rip off MMO using the lore from TES for big sales, which is what i am expecting.

I honestly do not feel that Zenimax can pull this off after reading every thus far, i mean some people enjoy MMO's like SWTOR and GW2 etc, I for one just cannot...and get bored of them very fast.  Now...if TES online comes out and its a sandbox style MMO just like the single player series then i am sold on it and will play until its demise, but thats the only thing im am willing to accept, i will not buy the game if i see third person only view, a hotbar, crappy combat and most of all instanced zones and lack of real exploration dungeon crawling.

But again, dont read that interview and get sold on it so quick, he compared the combat to Tera...Tera failed bad and imo had horrible combat system.  I also suggest going back in time and reading pre launch reviews for SWTOR on this site, you find the same gibberish about how good it is.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by zoamasters

So im wondering.. Why all those ignorant little pests were frieking lying about with their posts without knowing jacksheet missinforming,bashing a game they didnt have a clue what it is about in the 1st place.

you forget sir,most ppl on this site are trolls.

Your grammar, punctuation style and first post leave me suspicious.

As for your OP, the odds of ESO having the same combat style system as Skyrim is very slim. It's all about the benjis these days and dumbing down is where it's at, especially for MMOs.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Originally posted by Entinerint

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

I personally checked with several of the reviewers: combat is NOT real-time.  It is much akin to GW2, not quite like TERA (which is barely real-time).  There is soft-targetting.  You do NOT aim attacks.  You CANNOT swing your weapons freely.  You do NOT aim spells, swings or bows.  You DO have to be facing your target, and put your cursor over the target, but then, voila, auto-attack begins as long as you're in range.

It is a hybrid system, which is better than nothing, but they need to take it further, all the way: Mortal, Darkfall, TES-style before it is fully there.

Note that anyone who was there AND was also at the E3 presentation says a LOT has changed.  They are also no longer saying this stuff is impossible.  So there's hope that they may get to proper real-time direct-action combat system, but they may now just rest on their laurels on this one.

The combat in this game failed the moment they decided to use the Hero engine, its just not possible with that engine at all.

But liek you said MO and DF both were able to make it work and they had/have a handful of people developing, im sure if this game wasnt all about a money grab that Zenimax could have changed the MMO world, instead i feel they have just take the lore and pasted onto a typical MMO.

But...i hope im wrong.

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

Rules for reading forusm on this sight.

1. Unless it comes from one of the Moderators or  surrounded in blue, believe it at your own risk. Quite a few people on this sight would call doom and say nay to being handed a pot of gold.

2. Form your opinion by yourself, stop being a sheep(not saying you really are, just generally speaking) if someone says game A is bad, look it up, play the demo, decide for yourself. Don't let the words of some random asshat on the internet dominate how you feel about something you haven't even tried.

3. If rule 1 and 2 do not work so well for you, and you feel a bit like a black sheep. Remember being a black sheep is now the norm, when there are so many black sheep, white actually becomes the odd sheep. But just remember, no matter how much of a different style of sheep you think you are, you are still being a sheep. Form your own opinions about games on what you can verify as being true, nothing more, nothing less---

This has been a public service anouncement, please resume your scheduled forum surfing...

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I blame it on the official news releases by ZOS, which pointed to a more WoW-like experience. Then, after the outcry before and during the E3 presentation, they went silent and reworked on all those things people were whining about. How successful this tweaking will be remains to be seen, or if they've tried to use a band-aid to cure a deep wound.
  • stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by salenger

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

The combat in this game failed the moment they decided to use the Hero engine, its just not possible with that engine at all.

But liek you said MO and DF both were able to make it work and they had/have a handful of people developing, im sure if this game wasnt all about a money grab that Zenimax could have changed the MMO world, instead i feel they have just take the lore and pasted onto a typical MMO.

But...i hope im wrong.

And you know this because....you are a game developer?..... or you have significant experience using the engine?......

Originally posted by Galadourn
    I blame it on the official news releases by ZOS, which pointed to a more WoW-like experience. Then, after the outcry before and during the E3 presentation, they went silent and reworked on all those things people were whining about. How successful this tweaking will be remains to be seen, or if they've tried to use a band-aid to cure a deep wound.

True enough, i think the main thing in the back of most sane peopls mind is TES online is being built with the hero engine and even though that engine is good for MMO's it is not good for what a TES game should represent.  Its going to be a themepark mmo with some sandbox elements, it might be ok...but its not going to be what everyone would have wanted with a title like this.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by agnostic4eve

1. Unless it comes from one of the Moderators or  surrounded in blue, believe it at your own risk. Quite a few people on this sight would call doom and say nay to being handed a pot of gold.

2. Form your opinion by yourself, stop being a sheep(not saying you really are, just generally speaking) if someone says game A is bad, look it up, play the demo, decide for yourself. Don't let the words of some random asshat on the internet dominate how you feel about something you haven't even tried.

3. If rule 1 and 2 do not work so well for you, and you feel a bit like a black sheep. Remember being a black sheep is now the norm, when there are so many black sheep, white actually becomes the odd sheep. But just remember, no matter how much of a different style of sheep you think you are, you are still being a sheep. Form your own opinions about games on what you can verify as being true, nothing more, nothing less---

This has been a public service anouncement, please resume your scheduled forum surfing...

If we followed these rules..what would we argue about on the forums here  :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

And you know this because....you are a game developer?..... or you have significant experience using the engine?......

Actually i have used the hero engine, it makes things easier for developers.

And if you look at any MMO built on it, none contain a good combat system.  The repopulation, SWTOR etc, all contain very boring combat systems and linear combat systems, the one thing the Repop has going for it is the sandbox aspects.

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

But...i hope im wrong.

They used the heroengine to prototype the game.  The real game is built on something called ZENgine.  Still, I doubt they accounted for real-time combat when they built that thing either.

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Originally posted by agnostic4eve

If we followed these rules..what would we argue about on the forums here  :)

Good call=)

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

But...i hope im wrong.

They used the heroengine to prototype the game.  The real game is built on something called ZENgine.  Still, I doubt they accounted for real-time combat when they built that thing either.

Yeah i doubt they would use the hero engine, then completely revamp the combat system for their own engine.  But thanks i was under the impression it was all Hero.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

If this game is anything like skyrim Im in. If it like some of the typical MMO's that have come out recently then im out. Nuff said.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

dear OP

Zenimax themselves said that the combat was almost exactly like WoW, and they also said that first person aim based combat was "not possible" and they "woudn't even look into it".

then of course everyone started screaming bloody murder as TES is mainly an aim based first person game.

so Zenimax quickly changed their mind about teh "not possible", and now they are trying very hard to incorporate some sort of half assed aiming mechanic to try please all the the very unhappy TES fans. unfortunately the aiming mechanic it's an after thought and the engine of the game is not ment for fps games. the game itself was not built arround an aiming, first person experience and what we will end up is some sort of half assed hybrid system that wont please anyone.

nobody lied to you. Why do you think we dont have a video yet?

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

That was 6 month ago, when people complained about the Combat.

Guess what, because of that, during these 6 months Zenimax improved it (but not good enough yet).

Result !

And it is not over yet, there is still a lot of room from improvement, so get used to the QQ cause we haven't done yet.

Originally posted by ste2000

That was 6 month ago, when people complained about the Combat.

Guess what, because of that, during these 6 months Zenimax improved it (but not good enough yet).

Result !

And it is not over yet, there is still a lot of room from improvement, so get used to the QQ cause we haven't done yet.

It shows that a good TES MMO is possible, we just have to make them understand what is needed and desired.  We need to be vocal, and proud of our opinions.  Not all of them will make it, sure, but hopefully it will get close enough. 

Criticize the hell out of this game, the IP is too precious to let fade into a shitty MMO.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    People are always gonna cry about something. This game is no different. I can't wait for it myself, the 3 server pvp in gw2 is not really that great and hope TESO can put something better together with the 3 factions. But the combat sounds great so far, don't listen to trolls. They are like cancer on the internet. 
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Until I see evidence that they are planning more hybrid features, this still just looks like a fly-by-night themepark that people will be bored with inside of 30 days.  I hope I'm wrong.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

So before u play the game you come to tell us that you have found the mmorpg that you will be playing for 5-6 years.[mod edit]

There were a lot of people just like you saying such things only to realise after one month of release that the game is crap.

What im trying to say is dont get hyped by mmorpgs and by games in general.

Play them for a month and then decide if the ride was worth it.

Getting hyped for a game that has not released yet are just feelings of an unexperienced player and blind hopes for future.

Dont bet on future nor on past today is what matters.

• himodshimods Member Posts: 54
    If we all had behaved like drooling fans, none of these changes would've been made. Blind fanboism only benefits the lazy game developers.
    This game is still far away from deserving to be called a TES game, and while I doubt it will ever be anything even half-decent, at least the combat has now improved.
    And LOL at the guy suggesting one should only read the official previews, or posts made by "blues", SWTOR preview/review proved them to be nothing more than part of marketing campaigns.
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

The more you hype yourself up for this or any game before release the harder you're gonna fall when you finally get to play it. Also every post on this forum should be taken with a grain of salt as they are just someone's opinion on any given topic. Even when facts are given they will be presented in a way that supports the poster's opinion. If you remember these simple guidelines this site can be most enjoyable... when you forget these guidelines this site can be a frustrating cesspool.

As for TESO my own opinion is it still is far from being TES. Without the core combat elements and the open sandbox nature of the TES series of games this game is doomed as the core TES fans will not except anything less. This game may however be a hit with MMO fans that don't usually care for the TES type game play but in my honest opinion that will not be enough to save this game if they keep heading down this path. We shall have to wait and see.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }