Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Try Something New

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As much as many of us clamor for something new and innovative in the MMO genre, we are similarly repelled by the 'newness' of it all. In our latest Pokket Says column, we take a look at that and opine that trying something new isn't always a bad thing. Keep reading and then add your voice to the conversation in the comments.

There are also plenty of games in the genre that try to be a lot different, like TSW and Darkfall. I know a lot of people that had a hard time getting into TSW for various reasons (clunky gameplay, didn't like their skill based system, didn't like the graphics, didn't like the combat, didn't like the questing, etc). There were other reasons, as well, but a lot of those reasons basically add up to "it's something different and new and I'm just not a big fan of it." Then they go back to WoW, SW:TOR, GW2, etc. Darkfall was another story, a few people liked it, but it was buggy and had some issues it needed to work through (so much so that, instead of fixing it, they are making a new game completely).

Read more of Hillary Nicole's Pokket Says: Try Something New.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

Yeah, I know TSW is hard to understand for the average MMO player. I had no problems with it, hey I play X-COM and EvE. Perhaps they should add a tutorial. Also starter decks are coming for the ones who don´t like to read and figure out ability synergies, which is in fact a highly interesting minigame by itself. Again, nothing for easymode players. There is too much casual stuff on the market anyway.

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

Nobody is repeled by newness...

They just dont want stupid. They dont want their hand held like a little kid. Just because a game does something new doesnt mean that it is something good and everybody should love it. I dont see where you get your idea of people not liking new things. Maybe you need some better friends, or friends that are ACTUALLY gamers.

Like your article, theres not much to say on the point.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by travamars

Nobody is repeled by newness...

I dont see where you get your idea of people not liking new things.

The history of our planet supports her assumption here  :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I recommend perpetuum for something different.

If you ever thought of trying eve but were put off.
    It's a lot easier on pveers due to 100% security areas.
    Has wasd movement on the ground
    Has a slightly easier learning curve
    Your not going up against 8 year plus vets
    Still has much if the sandbox goodness of eve.
    Tsw is different while you "level"

Once you hit endgame its "world of cthulhucraft" - sadly.

Worth playing for a couple of months though.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I play all the new games al lthe time and so far i have not seen NEW in many years.So many devs think i am an idiot that they have some new twist but in reality ,just the same old.

Just a few examples of al lthe copying>>>>Markers to tel lyou where to go and what NPC has a quest,totally unrealistic from a role playing standpoint.Xp/levels  should represent an aging process but instead it is done as an indication to how many quests you have done,again VERY unrealsitic and imo totally stupid.We even see games offer xp for other goofy ideas like you craft and become a higher level mage.

Your MAGE level should be from acting out as a mage ,using your mage abilities,not from crafting or running an NPC errand.

There is so much to talk about,i simply can't get into it,gaming  has tons of ideas,it is a matter of a ONE good dev putting the best all together in one game.What i have seen is every game comes up with one idea and thinks they have created a new game.I think these guys take all of one hour to think of their next game design.

So when i finally see a game worthy of being called NEW i will most certainly jump all over it.What i think has happened to ruin this genre is the massive advertising that sites are all grabbing at.Theyu take ANY game at all and claim it to be AWESOME/GREAT just to kiss ass the developer.

When we start calling cheap game design a SPADE as should be,then and only hten developers will begin to put out a better effort,an effort we all should expect.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LiltawenLiltawen Member UncommonPosts: 245
    In Beta TSW was even more extreme but for release they dailed it back. I think as Steve Buscemi said in Armageddon: "Embrace the Horror".
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    I'm taking a break from MMOs for a while, just bought XCOM and am enjoying it. I played the original back in 1987 and this one is just as good... I find myself crying "Noooooooo!!!" at my monitor as my little squad get dessimated in an alien crossfire...
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    I liked TSW's "newness". I just didn't like the dreadful combat which, try as I might, I couldn't get past. I even played trying to avoid combat because every fight just made me sigh at how clunky and undynamic it was. Combat is a huge part of the game, it kept me playing SWTOR even when I was bored, but TSW's combat switched me off the game entirely.
  • YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Tsw is different while you "level"

Once you hit endgame its "world of cthulhucraft" - sadly.

Worth playing for a couple of months though.

TsW has monthly episodes and ongoing stories. Skip the endgame if you don't like it. You will miss out on the best dungeons ever created in the history of MMO.

Still better than "no endgame" like in a recent insanely overhyped title with "jump puzzles"

Yeah I'm not paying a monthly sub for like 5 hours if gameplay.

Last I checked that other game had the same number of dungeons at endgame as tsw, crafting that's actually worth doing, mini game pvp that's about skill not gear and a vastly superior attempt at mass pvp that's not a bunch of pveers jumping in every 30 minutes to circle zerg empty bases.
  • ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Because pokket,developers dont like to remake things and make them shine.They want to produce new garbage every year.

Final fantasy remake never happened ultima online remake never happened.

The only remake happened was x com and it was worth it a lot.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Zefire

Because pokket,developers dont like to remake things and make them shine.They want to produce new garbage every year.

Final fantasy remake never happened ultima online remake never happened.

The only remake happened was x com and it was worth it a lot.

The remade FF14 relaunches in couple weeks..just sayin

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342
    I really like the whole TSW concept, but the combat just completely turned me off in beta.  I felt like a 2 button masher.
  • CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

The "differences" in any of the new mmo's I've tried the last couple of years haven't been differences that made the game any more fun, and often less so.  If there is nothing other than combat to do and you level fast so that you can do dailies or the same dungeons over and over for a set amount of tokens, then it's not enough for my play style no matter how new and different.

I've just about given up on trying the new MMO's as they're definitely not aimed at me.  If there isn't housing at release (once I've left I won't return for housing later), decent crafting, something else to do that enhances community (LotRO's music system, SWG's cantina), and some slower leveling than I'm not likely to bother.  I'm not necessarily looking for new features.  I need the things I love all rolled into one MMO.

• Nebula131Nebula131 Member Posts: 22

when it comes to progression in tsw it is sadly like in so many other games..burn through content and instances till you get into "endgame". then collect tier-x equip. comparing stats or posting the main stat for your desired role (dd, tank, heal) is the new epeen and while running instances and collecting equip you can also collect more AP and SP and learn new roles or just spread out in yours. ultimately you can fulfill everything that the group needs "we cant find a tank" "ok, look for a dd then, got a tankbuild, too"

• RafanestRafanest Member Posts: 13

The genre is going to get better. There are some issues that make the evolution of the genre too slow, it is quite expesive to develop a new game, so companies avoid to risk with innovative mechanics. They just try to improve what have worked in the past,  This is not neccesary bad, but slows changes a lot.

Another issue is the fact that every new game have less content than older games. Now players have many games to choice, we have not enough patient to wait for patches or expansions so we change to the next game before the game reach its real potencial.

But I think there will be surprises in the future. When some of the new games with new ideas became succes (Archeage, Pathfinder online, citadel of sorcery or any other I havent discover yet...) then other developers realise that innovating is one of the best way to became profitable.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Play something new...

Uh huh. Every time I play something new, it reminds me why I'm playing something old.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495

People not knowing how to add up their progression in the game and, to me, that is a big deal (should I talk more on this next week?).

No. That doesn't really interest me. I don't feel the need to compare myself to others in terms of level or gear. Maybe when I was 12 or 13 that would have been important to me but nowadays I couldn't care less. I've seen level-capped players with awesome gear do wonders and others just suck. In most MMOs, level capping and gear is a result of persistence rather than actual skill.

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257

I'm trying out something new for me, its called Mortal Online. Its been out for couple of years, although from what I hear they aren't adding new content but they are fixing the current content. Its a First person, with mounts etc and has a lot of pvp, pve has been added to it also. It might not be a fantastic game, infact from what I read there are a lot of unhappy people with Mortal online, likely to be trolls but I will sure find out my self after the trial. For the past few weeks I have been looking to try out new/current MMOs which are different from the usual common ones such as Rift, swtor and ofc WoW.

If you want my advice don't ask or look for opinions of a game which you are thinking of trying, just take a look for your self and it might be the one for you, if not then try another game and again :)

• mikecacklemikecackle Member Posts: 151

She's discussing a feeling / experience that she see's in the gaming circle she loves to be a part of.. What's wrong with making articles on those thoughts?

But the answer to her question is simple...

In the old days we knew back then that 99% of your game is your interface.. Not sure if these generation of developers know this, or can control it... Too much artsy fartsy in control of development and not much good work for interface/playability.

Sadly games are not just story.. But yet they are, if you catch my drift. They have also been linearized into boring tasks that make it seem like work more than entertainment due to satisfying the needs of the companies owners support/design requests.

So to answer the question is easy, games today just suck :D

• mikecacklemikecackle Member Posts: 151

Eventually there will be a game that is released that changed the genre as a whole?

Yes.. well not change it... return it to its core roots.. With new IP though of course. And end the "bad" linear design that strips fun from games.

• notusernotuser Member Posts: 12

nice post

is time to back to skyrim, torchlight etc.. let the experts work in the next gen :)

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Good read, I myself am a gamer. I give every game a chance, however, I am critical as I have been playing the majority of my 33 year old life. I have high expectations for a game to be decent. It needs to have certain components to be interesting at this point.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I will give most new games a try.  I played tsw for 3 months, there was a lot I liked about it the story lines and the combat,  the main problem with tsw was the grind for the aa wheel and the fact you had to repeat all the content every 3 days.

Then I gave swtor 6 months, actually played 3 of those the other 3 they got my money for free.  SWTOR failed in so many areas.

I tried the beta for tera, and instantly hated it. GW2 made by Anet and I would never give them a chance. Same for rift tried the beta tried it 3 different times after it went live, rift is just not for me.

TESO I am at a wait and see on that one.

Trying something new for me is easy, actually finding something new that I like is hard.  I have went back to EQ2.