Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SC the MMO we have been waiting for!

TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107

Finally a game where we can socialize, and play with our friends, follow our career like a single player, kick each other's butt on private servers, and plainly do what other MMOs have failed, have a fun time online with friends....while gaming...in a persistent space where we can roam like privateers and freelancers, what some other space games/behemoths should have been and are not sadly, but finally we have hope on the horizon, that's why it is the MMO we have been waiting for, at least for the lovers of the Space Operas, the romantic pilots of an era, that you played a game, and you had on your screen, legends like Hamill, McDowell, Ownen guide your quest, in the dark space and beyond...that was gaming at it's elite state...Well not the same for Star Citizen but since it will be  like a Wing Commander+Privateer+ Freelancer, then when do we leave? As Blair said to Maniac once!

Yes, "gaming"! It has been a distorted notion a decade now. Similar to grinding for rocks, jumping up and down, saying lol online, chopping a horendous graphic digital pixel with a bar on it's head and a number above yours, and waiting for the % number to fall...oh, and the oug i got epics mentality...well this has been gaming this decade more or less for the masses.

Did it have to be 2 years long to wait for?

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
Star Citizen
TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Didn't the developer say it wasn't an MMO?
  • TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107

The MMO we have been waiting for, obviously not the MMO we have been feeding upon the last decade.

The context of the answer, did not rule out the whole label, but aspects of it. There are different views, and while some support the former, some support another.

SC is another kind of MMO, one that caters closer to Space Gamers, but an MMO in the broader sense, of being online and playing the same game. either in the same instance/server or flying through a persistent universe space. 

Didn't the developer explain that as well? Or do we just read the titles only and the first sentence?

" Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience."

Some prefer to focus on the "NO", i prefer to focus on the explanation.

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by RefMinor

Correct, with multiplayer similar to Freelancer.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Averof

The MMO we have been waiting for, obviously not the MMO we have been feeding upon the last decade.

The context of the answer, did not rule out the whole label, but aspects of it. There are different views, and while some support the former, some support another.

SC is another kind of MMO, one that caters closer to Space Gamers, but an MMO in the broader sense, of being online and playing the same game. either in the same instance/server or flying through a persistent universe space. 

Didn't the developer explain that as well? Or do we just read the titles only and the first sentence?

" Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience."

Some prefer to focus on the "NO", i prefer to focus on the explanation.

Well it's not just focusing on the no as the explaination itself does not support it being a MMO. If we take only having a multiplayer persistent world as the only qualification a game needs to be a MMO than DayZ, Neverwinter Nights, Freelancer, Mount and Blade and dozens of other games that have multiplayer persistent world servers are also MMOs by this definition. The reason why people like myself are very sceptical of this being an actual MMO is that there are some very crucial features that define the genre that simply will not be in Star Citizen and Chris Roberts knows this. This is why the first thing after "Will Star Citizen be a MMO?" is a very emphatical "No!" in the game's official FAQ.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

A positive thinker is no less  or more optimistic than a negative thinker.

You also have pledged, as you said, so have i, and frankly i am very much interested, that SC, becomes not the MMO style we have so been used to in the last decade but something more evolved and more attractive.

In that sense the "NO" applies in my view. I wish that like Blizzard, Chris will consume every best asset of current online games, and tailor it to his liking, which in turn, tailors to us that played fondly of his games everytime.

Labeling everything has deprived the ability to look into what is exactly inside the package...

And the meaning of this thread, is that it is a senseless debate....what is and what isn't MMO, whether it was replied NO, and if it has elements of an MMO, or if it is an MMO...

...what really is the juice overall, is the game itself, and not it's label/tag/moto/advertisement/suits/ and skirts around it:)

Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543
    Originally posted by GolbezTheLion

It will have a persistent game world as well as let you run your own shard with friends or play offline single player.

So no, nothing like Freelancer really.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

So the MMO everyone here has been waiting for is a small group, deal with no one but your friends, minorly multiplayer experience? Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to the game, but on a forum full of people regularly posting suggestions of contrived grouping mechanics and "Where's the community?" threads, it's odd to see this lauded as 'the MMO we have been waiting for" here.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Xondar123

It will have a persistent game world as well as let you run your own shard with friends or play offline single player.

But nothing really very similar to a MMORPG either...sort of a pseudo version of one.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

SC is the MMOSPLAN...MMO+Single Player+LAN, more than we wanted, the MMO we have been waiting for. 3 in 1. 

A new category of it's own...it will leave the industry another benchmark to try to reach afterwards.

MMO with a persistent world on public servers!

Single player campaign!

LAN ability on private servers!

Cheers!

Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

A positive thinker is no less  or more optimistic than a negative thinker.

You also have pledged, as you said, so have i, and frankly i am very much interested, that SC, becomes not the MMO style we have so been used to in the last decade but something more evolved and more attractive.

In that sense the "NO" applies in my view. I wish that like Blizzard, Chris will consume every best asset of current online games, and tailor it to his liking, which in turn, tailors to us that played fondly of his games everytime.

Labeling everything has deprived the ability to look into what is exactly inside the package...

And the meaning of this thread, is that it is a senseless debate....what is and what isn't MMO, whether it was replied NO, and if it has elements of an MMO, or if it is an MMO...

...what really is the juice overall, is the game itself, and not it's label/tag/moto/advertisement/suits/ and skirts around it:)

Don't get me wrong as I'm not in any way negative about this game. One thing that you and I can agree on is if this game turns out like Chris Roberts has described it will be truly amazing. I'm not disappointed about it not being a MMO because judging from everything Mr. Roberts has done in the past MMOs aren't really his style anyways so I never expected it to be a MMO. It will be one hell of a game anyways.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Kyleran

But nothing really very similar to a MMORPG either...sort of a pseudo version of one.

So, you mean like all the other games that have come out in the recent past?   image

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

i am really looking forward to this

im just looking  for   elite   with multiplayer if they give us  that  it will do me

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

This.. is officially #1 on my anticipation list.

Privateer Online.. Wing Commander Online.. all in one package. This is like Christmas :D

OMG didn´t you read past that sentence??? It´s much more than an MMO, persistent world, single player campaing plus optional private servers. This will be better than sliced bread and a wet dream come true for every Wing Commander/X-Wing/Freelancer/Privateer fan

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

OMG didn´t you read past that sentence??? It´s much more than an MMO, persistent world, single player campaing plus optional private servers. This will be better than sliced bread and a wet dream come true for every Wing Commander/X-Wing/Freelancer/Privateer fan

optional private server?

and you guys think people wont cheat? :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

optional private server?

and you guys think people wont cheat? :)

they can cheat as long as they want on private servers, I plan to play in the persistent "official" universe

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

SC is the MMOSPLAN...MMO+Single Player+LAN, more than we wanted, the MMO we have been waiting for. 3 in 1. 

A new category of it's own...it will leave the industry another benchmark to try to reach afterwards.

Single player campaign!

Cheers!

I can't tell if this thread is simply a horrible attempt at selling people on the game or .... the T word.

Not a troll, he seems to seriously think this is going to happen and be the best thing ever.... happens with every new release..... he'll learn.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Single player campaign!

Cheers!

I can't tell if this thread is simply a horrible attempt at selling people on the game or .... the T word.

Not a troll, he seems to seriously think this is going to happen and be the best thing ever.... happens with every new release..... he'll learn.

Thank you Kyleran, at least you were spot on...i do seem to think it's going to happen...i always thought i knew, everytime most games delivered false promises...i did bite with AoC, i also bite the dust with Swtor...amongst dissapointment, i saw this as a glimpse of hope...

Bottomline...if this too fails..i'll learn too.

Congratulations on your educated remark...as for two other remarks that were insulting and flaming from two other users, i leave them to MMORPG staff to deal with.

Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

Had to watch for myself as well, where this project is going, and as it seems, it has all the thrust on it's engine to be the MMO kind we have been waitng for, finally a different MMO, with everything that pleases a Space Adventurer like all those that loved Wing Commander and Privateer.

Nevertheless, besides the pledge, no more praise or support if the promised space odyssey is not delivered...:)

Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Its just an old school Multiplayer Online. Scratch the Massive. Massive was a word added when we went beyond the limits of classic LAN servers.

This is comparable to MineCraft. MineCraft is Multiplayer Online. It's not build to be Massive.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

i just cancelled my preorder

even the best sandbox games are niche,,most of them simply dont attract enough players,

to keep evolving

ill put my money on wildstar instead

• CsickCsick Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by hfztt

Its just an old school Multiplayer Online. Scratch the Massive. Massive was a word added when we went beyond the limits of classic LAN servers.This is comparable to MineCraft. MineCraft is Multiplayer Online. It's not build to be Massive.

You guys are either clueless or intend to down talk this game... Clearly you don't understand the structure of MMORPG's. This WILL be MASSIVE. The only thing comparable to MineCraft are the Private (Modable) shards we will be able to host. 

Let me give you a breakdown to make it easier for you guys. 

- Each Zone will support 64-100+ players  - That IS massive.  What mmorpg do you know that can have more than that in a single area all fighting at the same time? WoW? no.. In wow the only time you see 100+ players is in capitol cities where everyone is just standing around.  when 100+ raid a capitol city, 90% of the time it crashes the server and lags everyone to death.  Which in my eyes is the main reason they made capitol cities like shattrah and beyond neutral - you can't raid a neutral city... Instances - seamless or not are inevitable with current technologies. The biggest battleground is alterac valley with 40v40. Thats only 80 people in a zone. So you must not consider WoW a MMORPG then? PlanetSide 2 is the only game to really push that boundary with an impressive 2000 player limit per continent. Ofcourse 2000 players in a single area on that continent lags everyone down to 20-30fps IF they have a super computer... everyone else gets 5fps...  One might argue Eve online's largest battle was around 3000 players. While that may be true, Eve online is not real time combat, there arent any physics calculations being done. This is what such a battle looks like http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2010/10/largebattle-title.jpg - doesn't look like fun to me... 

- Zones in SC will be Instanced and seamlessly interconnected in which your character and ship will be persistent server wide. The only way that is even remotely similar to minecraft is if in minecraft there were portals that when entered connected you to other servers in which your chacter persists on one central database shared by all servers... (Possible, ive done it, but very buggy with the available plugins). There will be 100+ star systems at launch. Each of which will be capable of having 100 or so players (needs to be stress tested to push its limits). These zones will have multiple "battle instances" that are basically shards of the same zone that will be used as a matchmaking technique to put players of equal skill / ship quality together.  Like guild wars and MANY other mmorpg's do. The only reason WoW and other games seem so "Massive" is because you "THINK" that you can have that many players in a zone because you don't see the "48/64 players" when you enter a zone. Its hidden. It will likely be hidden in SC too, they are just telling you of its capabilities. WoW never told us its capabilites because they want you to assume its limitless.  Its immersive. 

- If you've ever played FreeSpace 2 (The best space/flight sim to date)  - You know that 20 ships in a single battle is massive and chaotic. 60-100 will be Insane.  If you have played freespace you can imagine star citizen is freespace in which you can freely enter through Jump nodes to travel to any of star systems within the galaxy. Each star system will potentially have 1-100 players inside. Scary to think about when you know any pirate can come kill you and destroy your ship (Without consequence if in low-security star systems). Let alone fleets of pirates.. Your ship (if not insured) will be lost. If you don't have the creds to afford a new ship you will have to run missions for a third party or join the military. On your ship will be different modules such as shield generators, mounted lasers / guns / propelled rockets, countermeasures, and much more...  But i digress.. 

The reason you misinformed people misunderstand all this is because they don't claim to be a MMORPG. The reason for this is because it will not ONLY be an mmorpg (Persistant Universe).  It will all three possible play types in one. 

- 1) You will be able to play the SC campaign Single-Player - No internet required - No freely explorable world.

- 2) You will be able to host your own shard that will have limited features (i.e. just dogfighting and maybe a few star systems). and a 64 player cap where you can modify the experience of the gameplay to your desire. For example you can remove certain ships or weapons from the game and control their stats to your liking.

- 3) You will be able to Login to the PERSISTANT (Your character and his assets will be saved) Server Hosted, Admin'd, and policed by CIG that will consist of approximately 50,000 players inhabiting 100+ star systems ( New jump nodes will be able to be discovered by players as the game matures, and if you successfully navigate those new jump nodes to the new  star system, that system will be named after you - permanently, persistently).  You will be able to locate and interact with all players within the server (ie Bounty hunters can track you down and kill you - wherever you are).  So obviously this will be a Massively Multiplayer Online Game where you can PLAY the ROLE of a smuggler, pirate, trader, bounty hunter, military officer etc... AKA MMORPG

I've taken enough time out of my busy work schedule (Not much - i type 130 WPM) and don't feel like proof reading. Sorry if there are any typo or sentences that don't make sence lol.

TL;DR - This game will be a MMORPG++ such that it cannot be categorized as just an mmorpg.

One whole year later, and the hunch and belief that this will be the BDSSE we have been waiting for is more consistent.SC as the Best Damn Space SImulator Ever not on the usual "feed the sheep and their troll herders alike MMOs" of the last decade, is showing it's potential slowly, steadily, and devours "suits", "trolls", "payed pencils, digital and paper" and a whole world of non gamers that fed on the great market that constitutes the gaming industry. The Space Genre and Space Operas were put on ice by the "suits" convincing their bosses that it's a dead genre. But no "live" genre for more than 10 years, has ever managed to have nealrly 300000 backers from before pre alpha and more than 20 million USD allocated.The mentality of labelling opinions as trollish just because they don't abide as obedient to the current MMO mediocrity, has passed and gone.

The current trend of the "suits" is the Pay2win" caramel, but as few know, the largest companies in the industry are just now awakening from the deep sleep. "The Suits" have deprived earnings from investors, and gamers from better games for a whole decade. WoW's success and failure of all who followed is the simplest example of the fraud going on for 10 years.Star Citizen is coming to awaken both bosses and gamers to put a leash back on the ignorant non gamer middle men.

And this beast will resist with all it's strength and recruited soldiers. This will be the fight of the decade in the gaming world.Unfortunately both gamers and investors have the same Champion, Chris Roberts, whereas "suits", "spreadsheet companies", "statistical analyses mambo jumbo" haven't got any Champion to defend their 10 year long mediocrity wrecks.

Enjoying with lots of popcorn, the new story, "Death of the Space Suit"....

Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Csick

TL;DR - This game will be a MMORPG++ such that it cannot be categorized as just an mmorpg.

Just a small comment, there is nothing RPG about Star Citizen as most people understand the term. There is no role-playing mechanic like classes, skill trees or levels. You got a ship with whatever equipment you were able to buy and fit on it and you personal somewhat twitchy skills at controlling it.. Any "role-playing" is purely self imposed by how you play: pirate, trader, bounty hunter, explorer, mercenary, crewmember, etc. Most people don't fit this into the RPG gaming category.

It will be a MMO, although Chris doesn't like using the term because it became too associated to WoW and this game is nothing like WoW. I personally call the Persistent Universe a MMOSS (Massively Multiplayer Online Space Sim).

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

I have now invested 225$ so far into making this game a reality. This has now topped my most expensive investment of the Secret World 199$ Grandmaster pack.

I'm happy with both purchases, I'm spending so much time in Secret World and I will spend a lot of time in Star Citizen.