Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final verdict and going back to Tera Online

13»

Comments

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78
    Don't blame the "casuals" They are consumers just like everyone else. It was the developers who saw the casuals as a commodity that needed to be exploited. It's not their fault. If someone tried to take soemthing you might not normally be interested alter it, change it by adding elements that you do like, it's not your fault that someone else who like the original form doesn't like the new form, It's the developer who said "screw you, we want to cater to this group now" to the guy who like the old form. 

You can thank Activision and Turbine for watered down lobby games with cash shops that pass for MMOs now.

You are totally right.

I did kinda make it seem it was mostly the casual players fault. but you right. them greedy hoes O.o

but still can be little upset that they flooded this genre. cause it still changing the way mmos are designed now xD

cuz still doesnt change the fact that mmos are designed  differently then before... imo to the worse.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

WoW's hardcore only diminishing cuz they cater to $casuals$. and the game changed for them.

I never get this statement. WoW has always catered to casuals. That's what made it WoW. Nothing about the game has EVER been hardcore. If people are so desperate for a challenging raid experience, they wouldn't be playing the most casual MMO on the market.

The casuals of other games could be the hardcores of another, maybe? Granted I don't really give a damn, considering we're all video game enthusiasts to some level, but whatever.

/incoming someone taking this statement the wrong way.

The funny thing is, that on my two hajj away from WoW, I found that 2 of the 4 AAA mmos released during that time frame simplified beyond WoW.  It's like they saw Cata's streamlining approach as the next big move for the industry and decided to out streamline Blizzard, try to beat them at there own game, or what they thought would be their game.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by maddhatter44
    Don't blame the "casuals" They are consumers just like everyone else. It was the developers who saw the casuals as a commodity that needed to be exploited. It's not their fault. If someone tried to take soemthing you might not normally be interested alter it, change it by adding elements that you do like, it's not your fault that someone else who like the original form doesn't like the new form, It's the developer who said "screw you, we want to cater to this group now" to the guy who like the old form. 

You can thank Activision and Turbine for watered down lobby games with cash shops that pass for MMOs now.

You are totally right.

I did kinda make it seem it was mostly the casual players fault. but you right. them greedy hoes O.o

but still can be little upset that they flooded this genre. cause it still changing the way mmos are designed now xD

he do make a lot of sense huh? lmao

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by bcbully

You are totally right.

he do make a lot of sense huh? lmao

I just want a game that is designed to appeal to the crowd it originally did, even if it is smaller. 

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

WoW's hardcore only diminishing cuz they cater to $casuals$. and the game changed for them.

I never get this statement. WoW has always catered to casuals. That's what made it WoW. Nothing about the game has EVER been hardcore. If people are so desperate for a challenging raid experience, they wouldn't be playing the most casual MMO on the market.

The casuals of other games could be the hardcores of another, maybe? Granted I don't really give a damn, considering we're all video game enthusiasts to some level, but whatever.

/incoming someone taking this statement the wrong way.

The funny thing is, that on my two hajj away from WoW, I found that 2 of the 4 AAA mmos released during that time frame simplified beyond WoW.  It's like they saw Cata's streamlining approach as the next big move for the industry and decided to out streamline Blizzard, try to beat them at there own game, or what they thought would be their game.

cata is what almost turned me away from mainstream mmos forever.

i played wow off and on after TBC, came back shortly before Cata launch and going(10man) 12/12 norm (almost all bosses were downed on first try) and 1/12 hardmode.. 8 days after cata released,in all crap gear. i realised this game is ugh. and not the same game i fell in love to. and quit tthe next day..

granted it was only 10 man, still... when we werent in beta, and first day trying we massacred it, too bad it got really late and we stopped for night. (only raid before "guild xmas break")

i understand 25man would be way harder, prob would enjoy it somewhat. but i felt like i had already cleared all 3 raids already... doing it again seemed little tedious.

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138
    I agree.  It was a nice time sink for a few weeks but i've now started playing DCUO.  Once I hit the orr zones the game fell apart for me and my level 72 necro is probably never to be played again, unless a revolutionary patch comes along.
  • bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Please admit WoW had some hardcore-ness in the beginning.  It took dedicated groups to get to the endgame.  I'm no WoW apologist but it's what it was.
  • ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497
    Originally posted by Evokerz

Since you so nostalgic about past games so much, why don't you play Asheron's Call and and Everquest again?

For your convenience, here is the link for your to purchase and subscribe: http://ac.turbine.com/ (only $9.99!!) and http://everquest.station.sony.com/ (play for FREE!!).

This definitely going forward for you.

Have fun!

If those links took us to the versions of the games we loved, I'm sure we'd all be clicking. There's your answer.

Unfortunately what a lot of you that *always* raise this question seem to miss is, those are no longer the same game many of us fell in love with. EverQuest is a completely different experience than the one I first enjoyed, which is only natural after...what is it now, 17 expansions and over a decade of changes?

So many changes in order to pursue a wider audience will naturally alienate some of the older customers. 

It's simply not the same creation anymore. To pretend otherwise would be ignorant.

I remember when WoW first launched this remark popped up constantly whenever anyone complained it was too easy or dumbed down compared to 1st gen MMOs ('So go play EQ then!'), so I'm glad now to see 'Oh I liked *vanilla* WoW but I don't play anymore' is a common comment, now they get it.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

GG WP

Have fun in Tera, it's a good game. Sadly you have to pay a subscription there.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

Originally posted by lotaparty
    quite true . till BC even wotlk was not that bad either ,wow was a game that you had to learn and perfect .now with all those small casual kids being accomodated  the game is getting subscribers but overall the hardcore feeling is diminishing . :(

I'm pretty sure WoW subscribers are diminishing along with the hardcore feel. To say that one style ruins the other is naive. Both are required for a strong game, which exactly why WoW did so well so long while "hardcore only" and "casual only" games flounder.

not true, seeing how only 1% of people saw naxx40.

and thats not because they werent able to grind there way up. it was cause they couldnt coordinate in a  raid properly.

correction: was under 1%... yea i undersand that not the best, and needed to be changed.

but to change it to 1% to 100% is sad...... Kills all exclusiveness... which is what i loved about it.

There were raid mobs in DAoC that were only ever killed twice, across all the servers. And that's generally from them being really challenging dungeons that end in challenging raid mobs. Not the gimmicky slam your head into the wall until you find the one I win timing trick that WoW bosses are.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by bliss14
    Please admit WoW had some hardcore-ness in the beginning.  It took dedicated groups to get to the endgame.  I'm no WoW apologist but it's what it was.

It was more hardcore than it is now, but by industry standards the game was across the board casual. Everything from the dungeons, combat mechanics, quests, death penalties, and raids, were more forgiving, simpler, and easier, than MMOs before it. Hell, the raids were TINY by comparison. 40 people? That's it?

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

GG WP

Have fun in Tera, it's a good game. Sadly you have to pay a subscription there.

Good thing pure subscription games are still around, so you still have a reference point of games that are fair across the board, as opposed to the P2win games that feature cash shops.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Yamota

Made a blog entry about my final verdict of GW 2 and moving on.

An excerpt: 

"So in hindsight I can say that GW 2 was well worth the box price but it is not like an MMORPG of the past, like Asheron's Call and EvertQuest, which would hook you for months, even years. Ultimately GW 2 (and most ThemeParks) is like the fast food equivalent of MMORPGs, accessible and really nice for a short while but quickly gets boring.

Also, not long ago, they announced the next "content patch" for Guild Wars and it was mostly about structured PvP, which is GW 2's equivalent of instanced PvP scenarios/battlegrounds and it was the least appealing aspect in the game for me. More over it seemed to be done in a way for you to buy tickets from their cash shop which is pretty telling that their first content patch was about getting people going to the cash shop.

Kind of expected for a game which does not have a sub. fee but which rather relies on box sales and the cash shop and I predict, that once the box sales start to dwindle, they will be focusing on adding content based on you as a player going to their cash shop. That probably being the case I wont be doing back to the game until the next expansion or if they add some purpose and meaning to the Zerg fest which is currently the very dissapointing WvW PvP."

well you mentioned poor PvP and in the same time you downvote their update for sPvP cause you are not into ...

you mentioned you hate themeparks and you mentions everquest as a great game ...

you have to decide man

well i have only to agree about the pointless PvP, but where is different ? in the games where you gain better items through pvp in order to gain even better stats in pvp the game fun falls for the loosers and they quit ... (look Aion )

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218

Vanilla wow wasn't hardcore by any standards. Soo predictable, as a DPS I always felt safe with a good healer and tank. No sense of danger at all. I love the randomness of GW2, at any point in time a boss can one shot you, keeps you on your toes instead of looking at DPS meters....

Talking hardcore, I remember the first raid we did on Caer sidi in the first DAOC expac, think we were around 100 ppl and got through 10% of the dungeon before we gave up after around 5 hours. And as many know, dieing in DAOC at a high level is NOT fun, you lost hours and hours of xp.

• XerathuleXerathule Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Just play EVE. It's awesome.

Tried it on and off for a long while but every time the UI and combat puts me of... and I hate scammers which seems to run rampant in that game.

I'm just saying... if you find GW2 boring, TERA is going to put you to sleep as well. I mean, for a sandbox lover, TERA would be the last place I would go. It might have the most boring and linear leveling experience I have ever had the joy of experiencing ever. The combat locks you in place. There is an extremely limited amount of skills per class. Some of them stop recieving new skills as early as level 36.

Do something besides TERA IMO.

Yeah, like Dota 2!  I think the MMO industry is going down in flames.  Time to go back to the days of Top-Down RPG because it isn't too demanding to develop.  VERY few MMO games have ever succeeded so you know it is a financial risk that most are not willing to take.

I think it would be better to build an MMO off of an in-house engine that started as a top-down RPG game like Warcraft was. World of Warcraft was great at performance which made PVP fun and playable.  To have a system as precise as Blizzard's (pre-Activision that is), you would have to build it from the ground up for it to be a solid game.

BTW, Publishers are destroying all of the great game organizations!