Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Lion Chests + Event

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by biggarfoot

There are also youngsters that have probably spent their pocket money (allowance) on buying keys  to open these chests and being young and emotional on things like this are pretty well upset and damn right they should be.

So, doesn't that meant that these youngsters get an early lesson on wasting your money to buy pretend items is not a good idea unless you can afford to waste it?  If they're mad, they better be mad at themselves.  It's not Anet's fault if people lack discretion.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by biggarfoot
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Hokie

Well whatever it is, we better start our ramen diets now so we can save enough money to buy gems so we can then turn around and buy keys.

My favorite is shrimp, whats yours?

It is just skins you know, and you can actually farm keys, you have 2 months. I have gotten 30 keys in 2 months without bothering to farm them, and it seems I been a bit unlucky even.

Or farm gold instead and buy the keys, each key will cost you about 75 silver so you can easily get 2 keys a day without any specific farming tricks not including drops. Then you get a key in every second chest or so as well.

Besides, this is useless crap. Skins matter little or not at all (my HoM sword skin give my swords fire damage which matters a little, it is the only skin I have with some use).

But sure, if you must have them, enjoy your ramen. :)

Loke I call BS on getting 30 keys drop, I have been playing the same length of time and with 2 lvl 80's and 3 other alts, I have never had a key drop, only as rewards from personal story or map completion.

There are also youngsters that have probably spent their pocket money (allowance) on buying keys  to open these chests and being young and emotional on things like this are pretty well upset and damn right they should be.

Not 30 from my side, but I've opened at least 10 boxes now. The key only dropped twice for me. I was able to open the other boxes because the box also contained a key.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I won't be buying any keys, never had any intention to. Throwing money away never felt like a good idea to me, there's obviously a lot of people feeling burnt by this right now, RNG on cash shop items is the lowest form of money grabbing IMHO. Anet fell a few points in my estimation after this was revealed. I really do hope it bites them in the ass so they don't make the same mistake again. It's a festival, the items should be fun, not a frustrating waste of hard earned cash in the hope of getting a new skin or a real money maker for the precious lucky few.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by drkoro

The event kinda sux hard, 90% oriented to spend cash.

Plus I think your wasting cash on keys honestly. I was thinking about a ripoff event, and your post just confirmed that LOL.

I already spent over 100 bucks on gem, and dont feel spending anymore because they dont bring any decent stuff or content worth for it.

The problem with this is people's spending so much on GEMS for keys, AND they're converting gold to GEMS as well.

Current price for Gem's?  90 silver per 100 Gems.  That means for $10 (800 gems) you'd get 7.8 gold.  Those skins are on sale for some of them for 2-6 gold each. You could have bought a skin for $10.  Congradulations on wasting the other $90.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by Siphaed

Plus I think your wasting cash on keys honestly. I was thinking about a ripoff event, and your post just confirmed that LOL.

I already spent over 100 bucks on gem, and dont feel spending anymore because they dont bring any decent stuff or content worth for it.

The problem with this is people's spending so much on GEMS for keys, AND they're converting gold to GEMS as well.

Current price for Gem's?  90 silver per 100 Gems.  That means for $10 (800 gems) you'd get 7.8 gold.  Those skins are on sale for some of them for 2-6 gold each. You could have bought a skin for $10.  Congradulations on wasting the other $90.

the truth can hurt 

/tips hat

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Lottery prize delivery?

Warm up the binomial probabilities lecture and prepare to deal with the usual...naw, not again.  Every dev staff gets to learn the hard way.  Players, almost certainly, won't ever learn.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Djildjamesh

Originally posted by Siphaed

the truth can hurt 

/tips hat

Originally posted by Icewhite

Lottery prize delivery?

Warm up the binomial probabilities lecture and prepare to deal with the usual...naw, not again.  Every dev staff gets to learn the hard way.  Players, almost certainly, won't ever learn.

So true.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Hokie

It is just skins you know <snip>

A massive portion of the game is built around "just skins". When you push cosmetics skins as the key differentiating factor, then offer lottery style cosmetics skins as part of a cash shop model for holiday events, then this kind of crap is going to happen.

Personally I find the whole thing rather amusing. It was really rather obvious this was going to happen and the usual "internet tries to explain probability" posts are always comedy gold.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Should I feel bad that I don't care about the skins inside the chests?

I did however see someone with an everlasting mystery tonic? That looked like a lot of fun and I should probably figure out where & how he got it. 

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Dumb people willing to spend this much money on "possibly" getting weapon skins is exactly why ANet didn't need to go the sub route.

That says it all really.  Flash the shinies to some people and they'd sell a kidney to get them.  They should rename the event (or even the game!) to "Gullible's Travels." :D

I love the game, but I'm too old and cynical to believe in high drop rates for Event goodies no matter which game it is. 

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Dumb people willing to spend this much money on "possibly" getting weapon skins is exactly why ANet didn't need to go the sub route.

That says it all really.  Flash the shinies to some people and they'd sell a kidney to get them.  :D

I couldn't be more happy with how the system's working now. Adds variety to the game from my perspective, as well as some fun seeing people with their little gadgets and whahooey meanwhile I could probably afford something I want with just gold, like boxing gloves.

Since there's only one way I want my Asura Guardian to look like in the future, I couldn't care less about armor skins or even town clothes yet because GW1-like communities haven't developed yet on my server. (Yeah, I was an SJM whore; Wanna fight about it?!"

And those people spending hundreds to get the keys that never give are paying my subscription fee for me in a manner of speaking image I'm profiting from other's misfortune and it's only bringing me more joy. 

#NumberOfTheBeast image

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

I never even thought of using their cashshop to buy things and tbh can't understand people that do. Even for cosmetics.

I'll just leave this picture here to express how I feel about those people.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by Jyiiga
    Originally posted by colddog04

They said that items would start dropping on the 23rd...

"The Black Lion Chest is getting a spooky upgrade for Halloween. Between October 23 and November 5 each Black Lion Chest you open has a chance to give you one of six exclusive Halloween-themed weapon skins!"

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/events/halloween-2012

Besides that, you can simplay buy the items with candy corn....... at least as far as I can tell.

It is the 23rd (for most time zones) the event is live on the servers and some "few" people have gotten skins out of the bags.

Anet is currently in full damage control on their forums trying to merge 100 threads into a single topic.

I've seen one person that opened over 200 chests and GOT NOTHING.

I saw another open 27 with nothing.

Another with 44 and nothing.

Another with 81 and got 2 skins.

If I had to guess the drop rate feels like it is between 1%-3% from these chests. 

Ow. Who needs subscription fee when there are people like this?

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

"The Black Lion Chest is getting a spooky upgrade for Halloween. Between October 23 and November 5 each Black Lion Chest you open has a chance to give you one of six exclusive Halloween-themed weapon skins!"

Besides that, you can simplay buy the items with candy corn....... at least as far as I can tell.

It is the 23rd (for most time zones) the event is live on the servers and some "few" people have gotten skins out of the bags.

Anet is currently in full damage control on their forums trying to merge 100 threads into a single topic.

If I had to guess the drop rate feels like it is between 1%-3% from these chests. 

i opened 1 and got a key. opened another and got nothing. so i deleted my account and bought rope

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I have a question that I don't have the answer too that pertains to this topic.

I noticed that the witch set (5 pieces) is available through the cash shop for 700 gems. That is about 7 or so gold right now. Are these the same items (on top of the other Halloween set) that drop from boxes? Can you get a total of 10 box items from the shop for under 15 gold? 

Are people blowing their money on keys or are there items that are also rare on top of the items offered in the store?

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by bingbongbros

i opened 1 and got a key. opened another and got nothing. so i deleted my account and bought rope

I chortled at this comment, hehe ty for an early morning laugh.  This shouldn't surprise anyone.  I'm curious to see how they handle this situation.  The could of course do nothing and just let it ride.  However, if they're really greedy they could announce that they have upped the drop rate on the items due to the backlash, not refund any keys/gems spent, and then sit back and see how many suckers spend more money for keys since the drop rate is increased, all the while laughing all the way to the bank.  It wouldn't shock me a bit if they chose option 2.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by Airwren
    Originally posted by bingbongbros

I chortled at this comment, hehe ty for an early morning laugh.  This shouldn't surprise anyone.  I'm curious to see how they handle this situation.  The could of course do nothing and just let it ride.  However, if they're really greedy they could announce that they have upped the drop rate on the items due to the backlash, not refund any keys/gems spent, and then sit back and see how many suckers spend more money for keys since the drop rate is increased, all the while laughing all the way to the bank.  It wouldn't shock me a bit if they chose option 2.

from just being in game the people on my server are blowing ass loads of keesh on the keys hoping to get a chest to drop something cool.

so they are already rolling in the dough haha

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Monthly sub based MMOS take a note, this is how you make real money.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by bcbully

First official response.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/halloween/22-Chests-opened-nothing-unique/page/6#post508704

ReginaBuenaobra - North American Community Team Lead

You are not guaranteed to receive a rare item after opening a Black Lion Chest. You have a chance to get a unique/rare item. Some people are luckier than others. The Halloween skins are tradeable, so if you aren’t able to get them in a Black Lion Chest, you can obtain them on the Trading Post.

The responsible way to do lotteries of that form would be to in form of numbers, clearly hand out information about the probabilties to get different items. However, few online lottery companies would ever do that, they are under the expectation that if they keep the probabilities hidden, the company will earn more due to psychological factors. It is a dishonest and shameful practice, in my opinion, and Arenanet is far from the only company abusing it. 

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

First official response.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/halloween/22-Chests-opened-nothing-unique/page/6#post508704

You are not guaranteed to receive a rare item after opening a Black Lion Chest. You have a chance to get a unique/rare item. Some people are luckier than others. The Halloween skins are tradeable, so if you aren’t able to get them in a Black Lion Chest, you can obtain them on the Trading Post.

The responsible way to do lotteries of that form would be to in form of numbers, clearly hand out information about the probabilties to get different items. However, few online lottery companies would ever do that, they are under the expectation that if they keep the probabilities hidden, the company will earn more due to psychological factors. It is a dishonest and shameful practice, in my opinion and Arenanet is far from the only company abusing it. 

So can you answer the question about whether the cash shop offers all Halloween armor pieces for 15 gold or not?

Somebody... for fuck sake, tell me if there are unique items to boxes...

• xausxaus Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by lifeordinary
    Monthly sub based MMOS take a note, this is how you make real money.

I agree the event is shit at the moment, LA is just full of people spamming shit in chat, and Anet will make a lot of cash.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    The immediate thing that popped in my head was my god people are so dumb to spend this money and then I realised how stupid I have been in the past and tried to win soemthing randomly by buying something that was inexpensive but over time I had spent a lot of money on . It was so gradual the addiction to the chance of winning and really who am I to judge. I do not get involved anymore I stop it before it begins because I am one of those people who can easily get carried away with gambling. I think it runs in my family bunch of uncles that spent mini fortunes on cards and horses so yeh I am staying far away from this one.
    Chamber of Chains
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

First official response.

The responsible way to do lotteries of that form would be to in form of numbers, clearly hand out information about the probabilties to get different items. However, few online lottery companies would ever do that, they are under the expectation that if they keep the probabilities hidden, the company will earn more due to psychological factors. It is a dishonest and shameful practice, in my opinion and Arenanet is far from the only company abusing it. 

So can you answer the question about whether the cash shop offers all Halloween armor pieces for 15 gold or not?

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question and I am not near my home at this point of the day to come and try and find out through the game.

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 174

First official response.

No, all the pieces are not available from the cash shop.  There are some items that are craftable; there are some (I think two) pieces that come from the Black Lion chests; and there is at least one set that you can buy directly from the cash shop.  All of these pieces are unique from one another.  In other words you cannot get the set from the cash shop from Black Lion's chests.  Side note: I believe only the set (witch costume, I believe) from the cash shop is transmutable with your 'combat' armor, and that the other pieces are strictly town clothes.

Keep in mind that my information is exclusively through reading forum posts and not from in-game sources.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

First official response.

You've already had several misconceptions in this thread. You are batting a solid .000 at this time. The witch outfit comes from the gem shop it does not come out of the Black Lion Chests. The Black Lion Chests have different items tnat can only be obtained through opening chests and no other way.