Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars: First Look at In-Game Footage

Comments

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    The world looks dead and empty, animations look pretty bad, right on par with previous game. The 90's called and said they want their graphics back.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

This is like, the 5th in game footage of Unholy Wars. 

Way to go MMORPG.com, always so well informed. 

Originally posted by BadSpock

[mod edit]

Talented? Absolutely, no other game has pulled off an engine capable of what Darkfall 1 is. thousands of people fighting in the same place in real time with FPS combat? No zones, instances, or loading lines? 

Respectable? They turned down dozens of publishers for 2 years because they refused to turn Darkfall into a WoW clone, even when it meant borrowing more money to stay afloat. They're also giving Unholy Wars for free to everyone who bought Darkfall 1. Very respectable. 

Honest? Ever feature they ever said would be in the last 3 expansions was in those expansions. Dishonesty implies deliberate lies. Missing ETAs is hardly dishonest. Unless you want to start yelling at Valve and Blizzard and Nintendo for how often they miss ETAs. 

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

why don't you link the high-res video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG40NPkI4rA&feature=youtu.be

• kastrixkastrix Member Posts: 75
    The game engine is from like 2001,  they can only do that much in terms off animation and "smoothness", then again you can always look at wows engine.
  • VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    The game is coming out in three weeks and this is all they have to show for the role system?

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• lorddarkalorddarka Member UncommonPosts: 26
    gonna flop if this is all they r offering.  if they built the game they said they were going  to theyd of never had money problems in the first place. And the reason they r giving unholy wars away is cause they current player base is less than 500 people and this is just a really small expansion that no ones going to pay for.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    I can't wait

• sylentnytesylentnyte Member UncommonPosts: 68
    i want it now!
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Ryowulf
    animations look pretty bad. Its be embarrassed to run around holding a big hammer like that.

Thats always been DF's main issue as far as looks and feel go. The game and the world do look good, not the greatest and definitely not the looks of a game from the 90's. The animations however are pretty bad and can make the game play feel off or slugish to say the least. 

Fluid Animations are a must for an FPS/TPS Action oriented combat system, for me at least. 

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Uh oh...the animation police are at it again. It looks fine. Interesting that he didn't come upon a mob in the wild.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

Well it certainly looks far better than previously. Animations are slightly basic but as long as they are functional and don't get in the way of actual combat.

I just still can't see the game being much more than a pvp map with mmo additions which keeps me away. I very much prefer a great pve game with pvp enhancing it and by it than a pvp game with pve as an after thought.

You stay sassy!

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by ste2000
    I can't wait

Tell me about it!

Assuming there won't be much in the way of delays (I'm not expecting more than one), it should be one hell of a holiday season for gaming. It will easily trump the last one. Damn, I really should have spent more time playing SWTOR's beta, but I didn't want to spoil the bloody story. Oops.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by kastrix
    The game engine is from like 2001,  they can only do that much in terms off animation and "smoothness", then again you can always look at wows engine.

The original Darkfall engine is from 2003, this one I believe is a totally overhauled, if not brand new engine. But expecting A team of 30 devs with a budget of a couple million to match WoW's animations that cost upwards of 1,000,000 million, with hundreds of devs, you HAVE to be joking.

Originally posted by lorddarka
    gonna flop if this is all they r offering.  if they built the game they said they were going  to theyd of never had money problems in the first place. And the reason they r giving unholy wars away is cause they current player base is less than 500 people and this is just a really small expansion that no ones going to pay for.

All the trolls are skuttling into the light it seems. They did built they game they were going to. Who said they had money problems? Way WAAAAY more than 500 people bought Darkfall 1. And if Unholy Wars is a small expansion, than Burning Crusade and Lich King put together were quick bug fixes.

• elf8blisself8bliss Member UncommonPosts: 304
    Originally posted by parrotpholk
    Not to shabby but shouldnt a stomp animation be o I dont know a stomp?  Nice footage though all in all.

Agreed!

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Looked like EQ1...

You make me like charity

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177
    I'm not at all a fan of DF at all, but I really have to laugh at people who compare the graphics to "the 90's".  It's pretty obvious they never played a 3D game in the 90's or have a very poor memory of what it was actually like.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Would be great IF released 10 years aprox back in time. Besides other problem as parrotpholk noted, what is stomp spell that have nothing to do with stompping? Anyway as I do not like pvp only games so it is out of my radar already because of this. Despite this my complains I'm happy for those that enjoy this game. Every game have somebody that love it.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    the animations are actually top-notch. They have set up a motion-capture studio to record all the animations for players and NPCs. So if you don't like the animation of the guy running with the 2h sword, I guess you can blame it on the person that acted out that particular animation. image
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Drevar
    I'm not at all a fan of DF at all, but I really have to laugh at people who compare the graphics to "the 90's".  It's pretty obvious they never played a 3D game in the 90's or have a very poor memory of what it was actually like.

You are right ofc, but you see, some people who are not "fans" don't just ignore games they have no interest in. Instead they feel they have to spout the most OTT negative comments they can think of whenever they happen to notice threads about said game.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by BadSpock

[mod edit]

Talented? Absolutely, no other game has pulled off an engine capable of what Darkfall 1 is. thousands of people fighting in the same place in real time with FPS combat? No zones, instances, or loading lines? 

Respectable? They turned down dozens of publishers for 2 years because they refused to turn Darkfall into a WoW clone, even when it meant borrowing more money to stay afloat. They're also giving Unholy Wars for free to everyone who bought Darkfall 1. Very respectable. 

Honest? Ever feature they ever said would be in the last 3 expansions was in those expansions. Dishonesty implies deliberate lies. Missing ETAs is hardly dishonest. Unless you want to start yelling at Valve and Blizzard and Nintendo for how often they miss ETAs. 

DF1 engine didn't pull it off. The game engine fell to its knees when even 200 people in one area, it was a slide show being battles as it was CPU bound and poorly optimized.  1000 people fighting just didn't happen often because of the poor performance for everybody fighting in a slide show with a select few with very high end systems overclocked who had it just about playable during a big city battles.

• Zhang-FeiZhang-Fei Member Posts: 4
    Game looks great can't wait!!
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by Galadourn
    the animations are actually top-notch. They have set up a motion-capture studio to record all the animations for players and NPCs. So if you don't like the animation of the guy running with the 2h sword, I guess you can blame it on the person that acted out that particular animation. image

I find that hard to believe.  Compared to the orginal yeah its an upgrade but thats not saying much.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by IAmMMO

DF1 engine didn't pull it off. The game engine fell to its knees when even 200 people in one area, it was a slide show being battles as it was CPU bound and poorly optimized.  1000 people fighting just didn't happen often because of the poor performance for everybody fighting in a slide show with a select few with very high end systems overclocked who had it just about playable during a big city battles.

Well, I can't really think of a game that pulled such a thing of in a seamless engine. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen such a thing pulled of in a zoned engine either. Even the zone based engines use tricks like hiding everyone but names and other tricks to try and keep the load low.

I wonder if Archeage managed to pull it through.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    looks way better than the original, hope it runs smoothly on my rig.