Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 and Windows 8

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

seen at guild wars insider

http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/and-the-verdict-of-guild-wars-2-on-windows-8-is/

We here at Guild Wars Insider have tested Guild Wars 2 on Windows 8 in two different setups:  One with an ATi/AMD graphics card and one using the GPU-on-chip Intel HD graphics.  Both Windows 8 machines ran Guild Wars 2 with zero complaint right out of the box.  We also noticed no discernible performance hit from switching over to Windows 8 from Windows 7.  When Microsoft’s new operating system is dropped on October 26th, you can upgrade knowing that problems will be few and far between.

Keep in mind, though, that Guild Wars 2 will NOT run on devices such as the upcoming Microsoft Surface with Windows RT tablet.  For those that don’t know, Windows RT is a version of Windows 8 that runs on ARM processors, the type found in your smartphone, or current iPad or Android tablet.  Personal computers use a processor architecture called x86 that will run standard Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro.

For those of you looking to purchase one of the upcoming x86-based Windows 8 tablets such as the Microsoft Surface Pro or the Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro, we can confirm that Guild Wars 2 will be playable on those devices.  Our machine with the Intel HD Graphics integrated GPU averaged frame rates in the mid-20′s on low settings at 1280×720, and the Intel HD Graphics 4000 in both of those devices is significantly more powerful.  For those looking at other x86 tablets, we would suggest staying away from ones with Intel Atom processors and opt for ones with at least a Pentium G Series or a Core i3 and up.

Comments

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Windows 8 = Windows Vista (i.e. a mistake in the Window's family)

For those that buy it, they're buying nothing but a 'lockdown' of their system where M$ is promoting a control of PC's.  PC's are considered an Open Plateform and freely expressed as such.  What Win8 brings is doom.  DOOOOOOOM!

• grouchomarxgrouchomarx Member Posts: 19

I've been using Windows since version 3.1 and I have to say I'm very unimpressed by Windows 8.  It's the first OS I haven't upgraded to before general availability.  You have to load Classic Shell to disable that stupid Metro interface, charm hints and to put back the Start Menu to the desktop they removed.  I've been running the final version at work and it's just OK.  They removed Windows Media Center ($15 to add it back), Windows XP Mode, Aero (just a flat, plain looking interface now) and DVD playback (have to run 3rd party DVD programs to play DVD movies now).  OEM activation, version 3.0 (see here), is much more restrictive than Windows 7.  Every OEM (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.) will now have a unique product key associated with them, so no more "master" OEM dics that will just work/activate on the correct model/maker of the equipment.

I already renewed my Technet Standard subscription for the year, so I am "entitiled" to run any version of Windows 8 I want.  I just have to convince myself to do so. :)

P.S. I don't think Windows 9 is going to fix anything...Metro is here to stay.

• aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133

I really only want Windows 8 because of the feature to "Reset to Factory Settings," basically. You can configure it to automatically install your basic setup, so you can do a fresh start very easily.

I am going to wait to see if people have problems with it though.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Windows 8 has some nice features and is great for tablets but imho for straight desktop use it's the Windows ME of this generation and really hope it tanks like ME did.. but who knows we will see..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• WootloopsWootloops Member UncommonPosts: 165

Windows 8 is a crime against humanity. It's not that they're trying to put a touch UI on desktops (Transition to a touch optimized UI is good and needs to happen), it's that their touch UI is horrific (Less horrific than tablet iOS or Android, but that's like being the shiniest turd in the turd pile) and destroys multi-tasking.

Everyone involved in making Windows 8, as well as Android and iOS, should be executed by firing squad, and then we must build anew, and build better.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by Wootloops

Everyone involved in making Windows 8, as well as Android and iOS, should be executed by firing squad, and then we must build anew, and build better.

I'd rather you didn't. Some of us pleaded against the new interface.

Back OT: Yes, GW2 (and every other game I've tried) runs perfectly well on Windows 8.

• WootloopsWootloops Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by darwa

Back OT: Yes, GW2 (and every other game I've tried) runs perfectly well on Windows 8.

Do you work for Microsoft :O

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by Wootloops
    Originally posted by darwa

Do you work for Microsoft :O

Not exactly any more, but I 'do' work for Microsoft in that they pay me to test software as part of their 'independent sampling' before releasing it to MSDN. With regards to Windows 8, I was contracted to test it for a month back in 2010, and I've kept it as my main OS since. No, I don't like the new shell (I use IObit StartMenu8), but I do like pretty much everything else about it, but that's a different topic entirely.

Back on-topic to avoid the wrath of the mods.........